Football Manager Chairman Challenge - aka from millionaire to multi-billionaire

Football Manager Chairman Challenge

aka from millionaire to multi-billionaire

Background story: At 30 years of age, your are already a business tycoon who made his/her first million in the financial market. You have always been a big football-fan though, and even played a bit before work took completely over. Now you want to turn your money into football and make football a big business. The aim is to prove that other managers/chairmen don't invest their money properly. All in all you won't give up until your one million have turned into ten billion pounds.

Initial setup:

You can use any version of FM that you like, whether its FM16, 15, 14 etc. as long as you can comply with the rest of the rules. As for me I have only tested with FM 16 last Winter Update version. FM Touch and FM Mobile I am not sure really cause I never play those versions, but check if complying to the rules are possible then feel free to use those versions as well. No matter what version you play, just mention it in the first update you post about your progress. 

There should be no use of pre-game editor or in-game editor. If you do however it should only be for name/colour changing. No edited databases allowed, only original databases. (My self I use a name-change database for some team names, thats the only thing.)

Start a new savegame, obviously you can't use a savegame that is already running. Load as many/few leagues and divisions as you like. And change and chop around during the game as you like also. But make sure at least one division to start with has team(s) that apply to the starting criteria.

All the other "tickable" options you can choose as you prefer, it just makes the game slightly harder/easier to your own preferations. But ones again let us know how you set your game up in your first post. 

The manager can have any nationality or languages known, but try to be realistic. The birth date an month are optional, but birth year should be set to 1985. Your experience is a "semi professional footballer" and your coaching badge is "National C-level". You may take courses for coaching badges later, but this is the starting criteria. The distribution of manager points at the beginning is totally up to you. 

The first club you choose to manage must be at the first day of the game, so no holidaying from the start. (After all a business tycoon works 365 days a year to earn as much a possible). If you load leagues that include both calendar year leagues (like Norway/Brazil etc.) and autumn/spring leagues (like England, Spain etc.) your first club must be a club that is not in the middle of a season but at the start of the season when you start the game. (So if Brazil is starting date, you can't start with an English club.)

You can now choose any club you want that in the menu for choosing club to manage has en Estimated value of 1M pounds or less. 1,1M pounds is not acceptable, but any value of 1M exactly or 999K or lower is fine to choose. Thats what you can afford so far. You can stay with this club for as long as you like, but you can not change club the first time until at least 6 months have passes.

Game play (how to earn money):

There are 3 ways to earn money. All of them should be calculated at the end of each season. Every nation has a reset day (I will post a list in a post lower down) and you should check the finances on the day before the reset day. So if the reset day is June 24th, you should for this nation always check your finances on June 23rd.

1. Personal income for the season. Go to your Home screen-My History-Overview and check the "Total career earnings" the first season its this figure the counts for your income. The second season you obviously have to deduct whatever you earned before, so always remember to note down your previous earnings to see what you earned in the last season.

2. You are the chairman so any money gained or lost for the club influences your bank balances. At the end of the season and the specific date as mentioned check the Club Finances. Check the Profit/Loss section for This Season. Take the amount and round down to the nearest thousand. This applies whether its profit or loss. So if the club made a profit of 224.678 your profit will be 224.000. 

3. After all FM is about winning most of the time. So there is an achievement bonus also. For every HOF-point you gain there will be 25.000 cash to your bank balance. To get these points you have to finish the season you aquired the points with your club though. So if its a Super Cup early in the season, you need to complete that season with the club.

For all 3 calculations I have made a simple Excel Spreadsheet to keep track of your bank balance. If someone can make a better one, that is all fine, but I will attach the file I made here. I have made an example as well for the first season so you can see how it works. When using the Spreadsheet delete whats written in "Season 1" but always keep whats written in "Season 0". It goes until 30 seasons, but you can easily add more rows if needed.

As mentioned you can switch clubs (buy another club) for the first 6 months, after that you are free to chop and shop around as much as you like. Obviously you can only own/manage 1 club at a time. What clubs can you buy? Anyone that you can afford with your bank balance. BUT you can't calculate mid-season profit/loss or personal income or HOF-points. So its always the bank balance you had at the last season update that shows which clubs you can afford. You can check the price of any club at their "General Information" page, there it states their Estimated Value. So how do you move the manager over? Well you actually have to make a new manager and add him in, and resign the initial one. To make track of your movements I would suggest a naming like for example: John Doe 1, John Doe 2 and so on. Remember to not delete your initial manager until you wrote down his personal income. (HOF-points and Profit/loss can only be calculated if you finished the season with the club, but you should always bring your personal income with you.)

What about money for bank loans and bank loan payment?

This can go either way, it means if your club takes up a bank loan and regards it as profits you are allowed to calculate that money as profits. If you are paying old bank loans, and makes losses you have to calculated those losses as well. 

What happens if I get sacked?

Well thats the good thing being the chairman. The game sacks you since there is an in-game chairman, but you can overrule this decision. You can (and must) make a new manager immediately on the same day you got fired. You then have two choices:

- You can always take over the club that sacked you. It doesn't matter if your bank balance can't afford the club due to the fact that either you lost money since you bought the club, or the club value rose more quickly than your bank account. (After all you are the chairman)

- You could take over any other club in the world, that your last season update bank balance could afford. But no holidaying or press continue, you have to take over immediately. (again a business tycoon works 365 days a year.)

Again remember to save the records of your previous profile.

I played a season, but changed clubs several times. What are my income?

From your personal income, its the combined income of all the clubs you managed during that season. So check all the profiles that you had. For club profits/losses its the results from the club you managed at the end of the season. It doesn't matter if a previous club made much more money, then you should have sticked to them instead. For HOF-points its only the HOF-points the you got at the end of the season, so its from your last profile. 

Changing from a calendar season club to autumn/spring season club every 6 months, or changing to a club you know is going to win the league. Surely that must be exploits of the challenge?

Well making this challenge you can't reserve against everything, so its bound to happen, and its only you who can decided what you think is fair. But I would say changing every 6 months is more than ok, but changing just 1 game before the end to get the HOF-points shows maybe a lack of character but its up to you to decide how you wanna play it.

Earning 10 billion pounds this way will take forever right?

I guess its a mighty task, but you dont need to go all the way, but have fun enjoy a journeyman career and see how far you can get. I will keep track of progress in a Leaderboard post lower down.

Football Manager Chairman Challenge.xlsx

Leaderboard

Manager - Last Club - Season - Personal income - Club profit/loss - HOF points - Chairman wealth - Trophies

toonbalmy87 - 3 - Gateshead - 160K - 4,3M - 129 (3,225M) - 8,699M - Vanarama conference league winner, FA Trophy winner, League Two winner, League One Winner.

TheEarl - 4 - Plymouth - 171K - 3,86M - 137 (3,425M) - 7,456M - Welsh League Cup winner, Welsh Premier League winner, Irish Premier League winner, Irish FAI Cup winner, League Two Winner, League One Winner.

• 2 weeks later...

Long time no see, TheEarl! :)  I haven't been on the forums in quite some time!

I had to come to the Challenges forum and see what was new, and your challenge sounds very interesting.  I do have a question, though...

How do you handle when your in-game chairman takes out a loan?  Obviously, that is something you cannot control, but with the way I recall loan payments being structured, it is going to treat an incoming loan as "Profit" for the season.  Now, if you're going to be staying at the same club during the duration of the loan, that'd be OK, but I don't think a good attempt at this challenge would stay at clubs when they got a major bank balance increase until they'd reached pretty tops in the game.

I did a modified Ultimate Manager Challenge this season, but I didn't post as I wasn't following it to a tee, so I mainly stuck on Twitter and my blog, but I played with Stevenage again, and the club was debt-free.  Now, had they chose to take out a bank loan while being debt free, my balance at the season stands a very good chance of being much improved, and if I "sold" and moved up to another club, it would essentially be free money as my prior club would be left paying down the loan while I'll have already reaped the rewards by "selling" the club and moving on to a bigger one.

The challenge I was playing this season I roleplayed as if it was an alternate real-life for me, so I was as ruthless as possible in contract negotiations to try to get personal funds, so a personal finance challenge is HIGHLY intriguing to me -- I think I've just spotted a potential exploit/lottery ticket scenario that could negatively affect a person's challenge.  I displayed the one scenario earlier, but on the flip side of that scenario is where you take over a new club that is carrying loans (you can't see that before taking over) and the loan payments, though not your fault, are going to murder your bank balance.  Obviously, from a "real-world" standpoint, if you were to buy a big club, you'd obviously take on their financial obligations, but in real life you would know what those obligations were before closing the sale.

Again, I'm very interested, but some of this might need a bit of clarification before I make a real go at it.  Hell of an idea either way though, sir. :)

Thanks for well described and thought through "problem" @jaysdailydose

I can confirm what you write here by telling from my "test-game" with a Brazilian team that its exactly what happened. Given the criteria I made a profit of around 950K in one season, but looking at the club they took a loan of 800K and its counted as profits for the first season. So In reality I should only have made a profit of 150K (coming from personal income and HOF-points.) 

But as you said it can be the other way around with paying interests from debts as well.

As far as the challenge goes I declare profits from loans as "legal profits" , otherwise it will be too much manual checks to see and calculate every season what if legal profits and not. After all completing this challenge taking you from one million punds to ten billions would no matter what be a real big achievement.

Hope you will try it mate, and I will start my new save game and the one to post here any time soon my self.

Good luck!!!

19 hours ago, Sankalan said:

If I am the Chairman, can I also set ticket prices, scouting range, no of scouts allowed etc? Because chairmen can IRL.

Unfortunately not for this challenge. The only thing that makes you a "chairman" is the fact that you have control over sacking/taking over a new club. For the rest of the challenge you are only a manager.

If this becomes a success in the future, I might add other options including using the in-game editor but not for now. Would love to see you take part though...

14 hours ago, toonbalmy87 said:

got into the fifth round of fa cup got knocked out by brighton in a replay at home had 9.900 people there 

Nice, will be exciting to see your final score for the first season. Do you have any chance in minor cups, or winning the league to get som HOF-points? They will help big time with the small clubs. 

I will post my first update of my team next week.

38 minutes ago, toonbalmy87 said:

i am currently 3rd in league by 2 points & 4th round i fa trophy because i rested my team for the fa cup 5th round replay 

Understandable, but 3rd place wont give you any HOF-points so you should try to rush for the league win.

3 minutes ago, toonbalmy87 said:

first season finished post it up when i wake up. also i was just wondering say i get offered another job from another team can i go to that team with same manager as long as i can buy the club. if so i think there will be a journey man career 

The initital thought of the game is to use the "chairman" ability to make a new manager everytime you change a club. But if its a club that offers you a position/you apply for that is within the budget limits for the chairman I will allow the move without changing the manager also. Remember if you change manager you must make him with the same experience/badges as the current manager.

Also please provide the value of the new club and value of your chairman, screenshot is optional but obviously welcomed.

8 hours ago, toonbalmy87 said:

oh right yeah aha i thought we started on 0 if we spent it all 

No you keep the first million, but you dont get paid back the value when you "sell" a club also, so now you can stick with the same club, or change to any club with a value less than 1,169 million, so in principle it should be a club of 1,1M or less I guess.

I am underway in my own save game here as well. Not going to reveal the club just yet, but will do when the first season update is ready. Hope to have it by tomorrow but for sure during this week. Looks like there will be some success in terms of results. Finances was good at the start, but loosing money every month so it remains to see if there will be a profit in the end. Personal contract is quite low, so not much to gain there in the first season.

Just now, TheEarl said:

Great to see you complete yet another season @toonbalmy87 and congrats on another promotion. I guess you wish for a higher profits? 

well yeah but i was doing well i had 1.5 Million in profit but then my board decided we needed new youth facility's and took that 1.5 Million away. but as long as i keep getting promoted fast and earn some premier league money i will be fine 2 seasons in prem then i am out of there:hammer:

2 minutes ago, toonbalmy87 said:

well yeah but i was doing well i had 1.5 Million in profit but then my board decided we needed new youth facility's and took that 1.5 Million away. but as long as i keep getting promoted fast and earn some premier league money i will be fine 2 seasons in prem then i am out of there:hammer:

Sounds like a good plan. And really pain to hear about the 1,5M that you "lost" due to youth investments, this challenge is all about how you will do it of course, but it could be a ruthless challenge, trying to gain as much money/trophies you can out of a club before moving to the next one.

My first season is done now, just need to make some screenshots and write an update.

The Earls quest for 10 billions

Club: The New Saints (Welsh Premier League)

Thenewsaints.png

The reason for choosing The New Saints was obviously their campaign in Champions League which I hoped would garner a massive income for this small club. Their value was just some 400K so well within the chairmans budget. We started the season with players very much out of condition as they where just back from holiday for the first qualifying round of Champions League against B36 Torshavn from Faroe Islands. We won 4-2 away and it looked pretty easy. But we lost 1-2 at home to win it 5-4 on aggregate. In the second qualifying round we got Stjarnan from Iceland. I was really happy with the draw and though this would be easy too. That was before I looked at the players of the Stjarnan team, who where far better than our players. We did however play really well away and managed a 1-1 draw. Another hopes for reaching the third round. At home Stjarnan proved too difficult though. They scored 3 quick goals in the first half, and we only managed to get 3 back. This meant 3-3 and 4-4 totally and loosing out on away goals. Reaching the second round gave us a nice income of around 500K and we also had some sponsorship money. At this time the profit for the club was around 700K mark.

During the course of the season, it proved the board had very much calculated this income into our budget. The 700K vanished at a steady pace, and in the end all we got for profits where 98K. Add that with my personal income of 32K , and we didn't make much progress to the total value for the chairman. 

We where almost unbeatable in Welsh football though, winning the league by 20 points margin to Bangor City. 77 points in 32 games and scored 93 goals. 23-8-1 was the number of wins-draws-losses. We also won the Welsh League Cup after a nail biting semifinal that we won on penalties against Airbus UK. The big disappointment of the season came in the Welsh Cup 3rd round. Our first round of the competition and we played at home against Newtown a fellow premier league team but one of the bottom teams. We had an early red card and lost 1-2. That meant vital income and more importantly vital HOF-points where lost.

In the end finished with 14 HOF-points. 2 for League Cup and 12 for Premier League.

Screenshots:

Value of The New Saints

Manager profile part 1

Manager profile part 2

Personal income

Finances

HOF-points

League table

Season summary:

Personal income: 32K

Profit/loss: 98K

HOF-points: 14 (350K)

New chairman value: 1.48M

Trophies: Welsh League Cup, Welsh Premier League

1 hour ago, toonbalmy87 said:

I was just wondering how do you gain HOF points because i am not sure how many i would get ?? 

A table of the points system for it would be great :) never mind i have worked it out now i have 66 HOF points :hammer:

As i have already counted 3 points that gives me an Extra 1.575 Million :D

I also thought 3 points was far too low :p hehe

Sounds good with the extra cash though :)

You check it in "hall of fame"

Club: Dundalk (Irish Premier League)

DundalkCrest2010.png

I opted to leave The New Saints straight after the season, and looked across to Ireland. Dundalk was already in the middle of the season as they play calendar year football. Their value had dropped from 1,1M to 950K. It meant no problem to buy the club, but I should have been warned by their drop in value that the finances was not too good. I took over the club anyway, as they where top of the league 3 points ahead of Bohemians and qualified for Champions League qualification by winning the league last season. I did however forget to check that they where knocked out of Leinster Senior Cup, and EA Sport Cup. FAI Cup where still in for the making though as the club was through to the 3rd round. The club was already at around 300K losses for the season.

We played CL qualification more or less straight away against Quarabag from Azerbaijan. We lost 2-3 away in a tight game, and I hoped the away goals would prove helpful at home to bag a place in the third qualifying round. The draw was before the return leg, and if we won we would face BATE Borisov. But we lost at home as well 1-3 after a game we dominated but failed heavily in front of both goals.

In the league we stormed away for a win in the end by 18 points clear of Shamrock Rovers. Claiming the title against weak side UCD winning 5-3 in a game we had 2 players sent off. In the FAI Cup we had a really troublesome quarter final against Cork City. We had beaten the same team 5-1 in the league a week before, but went 0--4 down at half time. A memorable performance in the second half, saw us turn the game for a 5-4 win. In the final we beat Bohemians 1-0.

This gave me 43 HOF-points in total for this season, a nice gain of 1,075M for the chairman, and it was needed. Despite som good revenue from Champions League, we lost 224K in bank balance, and being manager for just over half a season only gave me personal income of 29K. I think I will move club again, and I might follow @toonbalmy87 to take a club in England this time.

Screenshots:

Dundalk value

League table

FAI Cup win

Finances

Personal income

HOF-points

Season summary:

Personal income: 29K

Profit/loss: -224K

HOF-points: 43 (1,075M)

New chairman value: 2.36M

Trophies: Welsh League Cup, Welsh Premier League, Irish Premier League, Irish FAI Cup

EPL definitely has the money, CL have some also, and if you could qualify a club there that budget wise not belong there, you could make a huge profit.

I am in England now and doing pretty well, but 5,5M that really good money, looking forward to your next update.

so i am 5/5 in the league and signed couple decent players Rey Manaj on a free hes on 7k pwk and has a non promotion release clause and high division release clause went all out for him because i needed a striker and weren't any available on loan Toney wouldn't come back :(  so pushed boat out seems to be working.

Transfer Outgoings = 500k

Transfer Incoming -= 5.95 Million  

made a nice profit see how it hold up over the course of season

23 hours ago, TheEarl said:

Would be nice to see an attempt from @jaysdailydose and @Sankalan here also, I "challenge" you to try this.... :p hehe

I'm definitely still considering it, but I'm waiting for a new laptop battery on my machine, currently playing on my wife's CPU and its not a very good machine.  It struggles with one league loaded, and for this I'd need several.

I'm likely staying with FM16 for the foreseeable future, so I'm likely to make an attempt, just probably be a few days.

Just now, jaysdailydose said:

I'm definitely still considering it, but I'm waiting for a new laptop battery on my machine, currently playing on my wife's CPU and its not a very good machine.  It struggles with one league loaded, and for this I'd need several.

I'm likely staying with FM16 for the foreseeable future, so I'm likely to make an attempt, just probably be a few days.

Sounds great :) Hope to see you here in the future, and please dont hesitate to comment on others progress as well.

Club: Plymouth Argyle (English League Two)

207px-Plymouth_Argyle_F.C._logo.svg.png

Once again I changed clubs, and this time to England and Plymouth Argyle. With a value of just 1,1M but good attendance they looked like a promising club. This will be my "third season" but still only played 2 years since I moved between clubs playing different calendar schedules. The season was half way through and Plymouth was 4th when I took over, just 3 points behind Oxford. They had already made a profit of around 300K but they where knocked out of every cup so just the league to play for.

It was a good season that I played fairly rapidly and won the league with 1 game to spare. Profit dropped somewhat in the weeks after the league finished and I could only calculate 98K. Together with 29K personal income. But winning the league secured 31 HOF-points at a value of 775K.

Now I will definitely stay with Plymouth for another season to see how it goes in League One.

Screenshots:

Plymouth value

Personal income

Club finances

HOF-points

League table

Season summary:

Personal income: 29K

Profit/loss: 98K

HOF-points: 31 (775K)

New chairman value: 3.25M

Trophies: Welsh League Cup, Welsh Premier League, Irish Premier League, Irish FAI Cup, English League Two

@TheEarl - I've been playing my English Hero save but I'll at least try to get the save for your challenge setup.  My battery for my machine is scheduled to arrive Wednesday, and I've been setting up a bunch of new saves for when I'm back up.  I'm trying to change my blog to more educational about the game -- and probably branching into regular football writing as well, so I am definitely looking for content.  I never get the newest game until after Christmas anyway, but I was really planning on waiting until at least Winter Update just because I'm totally satisfied with 16.  Regardless, I did some thinking last night and realized that one area I hadn't branched into in any detail on my blog was raising the values of clubs, which honestly, I did VERY well both in 15 and 16, so I figured your challenge would be a good way to do that.

Anyway, I'm going to sit here over the next hour or so and load up a few different countries to look up at club values, and once I figure out where I'm going, I'll just load a game with less nations than I normally would, and then just add more in once I'm on the new machine.  

I really don't want to play another English save, but the money is just so much better in England...  so I'm going to go hunt for a profitable situation off the bat, and if I wind up in England when it's big money time, so be it -- I just want to avoid starting there if at all possible.

I wish there was an FM resource that broke down the TV money and the Competition money for the nations, but that's one thing I've never seen in all of my travels.

Anyways, I'll 100% be making an attempt, but I'll be switching between 3-4 saves long-term so updates may wind up being sporadic.  At the same time, it will get blog exposure, so I guess it's a fair trade-off. :)

I'll be back in a few hours with my starting info for ya. ;)

I'm taking over at NK Zagreb in Croatia.  Here's my profile pic on the first day of the save. (May 29, 2015) -- Reset Date for Croatia is June 19th.

My only problem, and if you want me to restart I will (but it is very small) is that I am 29 to start for about a month.  I miscalculated as my birthday is in July.  It will still be my Age 30 season.  If anything, I would presume this to be a disadvantage, so I'm quite sure you won't take issue with it.  I made my character FMChampions One, all characters will begin with FMChampions.  I spent 855K on the club, and for now I've also loaded England and Spain, small database, with players in European Competitions included for challenge at continental level.  

Here's my screenshots of manager and club on Day One:

FMChampions One_ My Profile Profile.pngNK Zagreb_  Profile.png

No need to restart @jaysdailydose you have set the correct starting year so, if you are 29 years for a month is totally fine. Good luck with Zagreb and enjoy the game :)

Sorry about your restart @toonbalmy87 hope it will continue nicely.

Holidaying for a week or two is totally fine by the way, I have done it after all the games are played sometimes, to speed up things in between seasons.

Archived