Scouting strategy

What is your scouting strategy throughout the season with a top division club?

I've been sending scouts to countries where they have good knowledge and asking them to find players without too much detail on specific attributes or age, sending them there for 3 months, but after a month it turns into a trickle of players that they find, usually stopping at around 300 - 350 players. Evidently this isn't the best way to get the most players scouted.

How do you do it?

Does your strategy change during transfer windows?

Through the regular season?

Youth intake time?

Does specifying attributes (in the check box on the left) limit the number of players they find?

Do you scout leagues rather than countries?

How long do you set their assignments to be?

I realise this will be slightly subjective depending on the team being managed and what you are actually looking for in a player but I'd appreciate some feedback as I feel this side of my game is letting me down a bit and I could be doing things better.

I have my scouting team watch active competitions (league, youth, continental & international), nation searchers are (IMO) still too powerful at finding players so I avoid them. At the start of the month I'll review the reports & ask my scouts to focus on the higher rated players.

Once I've identified a need for a new player I'll go back to the scout reports to shortlist a few potential options & monitor thier performances.

It's not the most optimal use of the in game scouting system but for me it's the most realistic method & significantly reduces the advantages the user has in identifying current & future star players.

So reports from nations yield too many results in your opinion? I find that whilst they do find a lot of players, a lot of it is just chaff. But maybe that's where more specific searches are useful?

If you check an attribute when creating an assignment, what is that based on? Is it relative to his other attributes or does it set a baseline of some random number?

I just randomly assign the scouts to go on nation searches, sometimes regions and then I've got a few filters I use on the scouted players screen to find prospects. If there's a youth tournament going on, I'll send a couple of scouts there too.

So reports from nations yield too many results in your opinion? I find that whilst they do find a lot of players, a lot of it is just chaff. But maybe that's where more specific searches are useful?

If you check an attribute when creating an assignment, what is that based on? Is it relative to his other attributes or does it set a baseline of some random number?

I do find nation/region searchers to be too effective & costly, not sure about not setting a value range when selecting a specific attribute as it has been a while since I worked on the scouting system & it's not a criteria I set when creating an assignment. I just set an age & starting range depending on what I think my needs will be.

I usually assign them to regions which are suitable with their nationality and hire scouts according to this. I don't assign an english scout to south america i mean if i don't need to. Too many different nationality of scouts are scouting their own regions and chief scout is assigned to domestic competitions. Only scouting big competitions like Champions League, Euro Cup, World Cup and international competitions.

On FM2015 all my scouts (28) are scouting various youth leagues around the world, when they return a set of reports I identify the most promising prospects and have them watched specifically for a while. Some scouts have additional assignments (the scout who's looking into the domestic youth league also scouts next opposition, scouts looking at youth leagues in top nations also scout that nation from time to time, etc.) but the youth leagues are my main focus because of the philosophies in place at the club.

I send my scouts out looking for players 4 star and above to every region. I set the max age to 19. This means that I am only looking for potential wonder kids. If you can find someone from a remote corner of the globe before the big kids to can pinch an absolute gem. It also means you could potentially make huge money down the track for those who don't quite cut it

Archived