Delta's Eurovision: Painting the Continent Blue

deltablue

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apr 2046

fix46_zpsnlbofxvo.jpg

final46_zpsysfcap46.jpg

Not for the first time, we looked to be cruising to a title before stumbling over the finish line. We could have mathematically sealed it with 3/4 matches to go, and in the end only avoided it going to the last round after Lamia conceded an equalizer while we were facing a second defeat in a row, with a cup exit to AEK in between that probably explained a lot. One thing that also didn't help was that after returning to full strength in late February for a few weeks, injuries kept hitting again. It was pleasing to see Arias, Jones and Rice all scoring in the same game but it was Arias' final match due to injury and he was soon followed by many more.

It's such a far cry from the struggles at Plzen at the start of the season, and a wonderful way to end the career, but more on that later. In a way I felt I was back where I really belonged, and having my three former players still there and performing really helped that. It was a pity I couldn't finish with the occasion of a cup final but it's more than enough to claim a 3rd Greek title, 10 years after the first.

"And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now, the clock is striking twelve's"

It probably says a lot for the high bar I set for myself in my earlier careers that I feel this has been perhaps the least satsifying, at least among the ones that lasted. At least there was still plenty of success in the 18 seasons it lasted, which only the last couple of months at Viktoria Plzen being considered to be a clear failure (at the national team we were simply on the wrong side of some fine margins), including 5 league titles and three fine clubs to have been at.

Perhaps it was a little short on drama. League titles were often comfortable or looked close because of stumbling over the line. Narrow failures (like in the penultimate full season in Greece or last year's Czech Cup final) were pretty lifeless climaxes rather than close-fought, and early success wouldn't have done much to satisfy those who want to see a lot of struggling first. However it was decent enough for what it was, with 3 clubs and a national team, a bunch of trophies and 578 competitive matches played with a win ratio of 52%, which could be considered a lot for some people. It was still interesting to see a history screen very similar to the career history breakdown I've always used on here.

hista_zpsvdqmsvmz.jpg

histb_zpsqvqlbdw1.jpg

FM16 has been an interesting experience. As some of you know my experience with FM14 was shortlived and I skipped FM15 altogether, so this was the first version in a few year's I've properly experienced, possibly the last as well. I was worried about things like player interaction having seen a few examples last year on the forum of players getting sacked while doing very well on the pitch from an unsettled squad, but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought. It was still very involving, and it was the same with transfers. In some ways it was a good thing to get bids for all sorts of players and being able to sell unwanted squad players for a fee, rather than struggling to give them away, but it soon became a pain. Also,  release clauses became an issue in a way that I'd never had to deal with before, though I was gradually adjusting near the end of the first Panathinaikos stint. In between that and being more restricted in being able to bring in players (especially young ones), I appreciate what SI are trying to do in making it trickier to exploit the transfer system  but as I've demonstrated before, building a team, watching it grow and keeping it together have always been how I've mainly played the game (even if I've become a little more rounded over the years) and it could never be the same if I can't do it as much anymore.

I also didn't find the matches as interesting to watch. Even after I left Vasas and no longer played so directly (which the match engine was at least recreating effectively, so credit where credit is due) a lot of the goalscoring and other action seemed relatively one-dimentional compared to what I had just enjoyed on FM13. There was also the matter of all the missed chances. This isn't about tactics or a shot-conversion rate as that wasn't much of a problem and I was seeing it at both ends, but it was frustating seeing all the ways what shots that should have been easy to convert would regularly fail to go in.

In the end it just confirmed what I knew from FM14, that the game was passing a point where there was too much getting in the way of just being able to relax and enjoy it. However I'm still glad I gave it a good go. This morning, after posting the initial update and before I set to work on finishing the season, I got going on the first pre-season of the new FM13 career save (which was all ready in advance to start) and almost immediately there was a clear difference, as it seemed like a far smoother experience which felt like a much better fit after months of FM16, so that's probably where I belong.

It's been a good read again, DB. 

I can't comment on your feelings on 16 (or 14 for that matter) as I've not moved beyond 13, but I've seen a few similar comments from other seasoned FM players. I'm thinking that even when I get round to a new laptop, I may just continue with 13 anyway, especially if I'm able to carry on with my current career.

Looking forward to your new thread.

1 hour ago, deltablue said:

I also didn't find the matches as interesting to watch. Even after I left Vasas and no longer played so directly (which the match engine was at least recreating effectively, so credit where credit is due) a lot of the goalscoring and other action seemed relatively one-dimentional compared to what I had just enjoyed on FM13. There was also the matter of all the missed chances. This isn't about tactics or a shot-conversion rate as that wasn't much of a problem and I was seeing it at both ends, but it was frustating seeing all the ways what shots that should have been easy to convert would regularly fail to go in.

Yep. This is a major reason why I buggered off FM16 too, I could write a dissertation on nitpicking on the issues, but ultimately it's just frustrating as hell to watch.

I think you'd like FM15, it's less realistic than FM16 because there's an absolute ton of goals, but it's fun exactly because of it. :D However, FM15 does have a problem with players being sometimes precious little princesses, which has been slightly toned down in the following version.

Good luck on your next career. :thup:

Archived