Has anyone taken a punt at recreating Jupp Heynckes' 2012/13 Bayern?

I'm absolutely fascinated with the Bayern that won the treble that season as they were just so relentlessly solid and flexible. However, despite their flexibility, I still think it would be possible to recreate their approach in FM because the roles of the players largely stayed the same. Rather, it was the overall match strategy that would change. A lot of the time they played pressing, possession football but then there were other times (most notably their thrashing of Barca in the CL) where they could just as easily counter with ruthless wingplay.

IIRC they mostly played a 4-2-3-1 but within FM15 I think their counterattacking approach could be better replicated through a 4-5-1 that's set up to break like a 4-2-3-1 as per this: https://cdeekyfm.wordpress.com/2015/02/20/why-4-5-1-is-the-best-formation-on-fm15/

Anybody else share my interest in this team with any ideas in regards to recreating them? Lets get a frisson going here folks.

I dont Bayern played possession football with Heynckes. From the games i saw by that time, it was fast paced and vertical football.

there was defo times where they played possession football but you might be right. Perhaps I should've said 'slick, one-touch football'.

I dont think Bayern played possession football with Heynckes. From the games i saw by that time, it was fast paced and vertical football.

Actually, their possession was a consequence of constant attacking. That year they've introduced gegenpressing in their game, so they could attack even quicker. After scoring, they did play a bit more patiently. Control strategy, Short passing, Play out of defense, Exploit the flanks, Close down more would be a good base for a tactic. 4-2-3-1 Deep, or 4-2DM-2-1-1, relatively offensive wingbacks (Alaba WB(A), Lahm WB(S)/FB(A)), a playmaker and a destroyer (Anchor man + DLP), wingers cutting inside, AM(A) and DF(S/D) up front. This is just a quick thought, I haven't tested any of it, but that's how I'd start.

Just messing about, not had much time to work anything out but this looks like it might work? Thinking control/flexible for easier matches and counter for tougher ones. Cant post images so you'll have to deal with ugly, ugly text

SK(d)

WBL(a)

CD(d)

CD(d)

WBR(s)

Anchorman(D)

DLP(s) (in the midfield strata, not the DM strat)

IFL(a)

IFR(a)

AM(s/a)

DF(s)

Actually I went away and did some deep reading into various tactical examinations -especially of their 4-0 win over Barca- and have come up with something that I think fits a little better. Especially for matches against stronger sides.

Counter/Structured

SK(S)

FBL(a) / or WB(A) depending

CD(d)

CD(d)

FBR(s) / or WB(S) depending

DLPL(d)

DLPR(s)

W(a) - in the mr strata

W(a) - in the ml strata

AP (s/a) - asymmetric on the left of the striker, as if in a 4-4-2

DF(s/d)

TIs: Shorter Passing, Pass into Space, Exploit the Flanks, Play Narrower, Close down more/much more, Prevent Short GK Distribution, Much Higher Tempo. Then you can use push higher up/much higher against possession sides (or most sides, really). This creates a similar setup to the one Bayern used in the 4-0 against Barca. In that match they were very compact, both vertically and horizontally. That had the effect of both trapping Barca in their own defensive third as well as packing the space so tightly ahead of them that any pass a Barca player could make would almost be a direct pass to a Bayern player. The catalans had the majority of the possession as you would expect, but it was fairly useless possession.

I think for matches against weaker sides you can push the MR/ML up to the AMR/AML strata and switch to control, should you feel the need.

side note: I feel a lot of the principles of this setup could also possibly apply to recreation of an Atleti setup.

Archived