FM 15: Cardiff City

Cardiff City Football Club (Welsh: Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Caerdydd) is a professional football club based in Cardiff, Wales that competes in the English football league system. The club played in the Premier League for the first time in the 2013–14 season, at the end of which they were relegated. They play their home games at the Cardiff City Stadium, after moving from Ninian Park in 2009.

The club was founded as Riverside A.F.C. in 1899 and is the only club from outside England to have won the FA Cup, which they won in 1927. The club won the Football League Championship title in the 2012–13 season and were promoted to the top flight for the first time in 51 years. This followed two lost national cup finals, the 2008 FA Cup Final against Portsmouth and the 2012 Football League Cup Final against Liverpool, the latter being settled by a penalty shootout.

In 2012, Cardiff City was rebranded by the club's Malaysian owner, Vincent Tan. This included the change of the club's home colours and crest

1927 FA Cup Final

On St George's Day, 23 April 1927, at Wembley Stadium in London, the FA Cup was taken out of England for the first time when Cardiff City beat Arsenal 1–0 in the Final, cult hero Hughie Ferguson scoring the only goal of the game.

In the 74th minute, collecting a throw from the right by George MacLachlan, Ferguson hurried a tame shot toward the Arsenal goal. Dan Lewis, the Arsenal goalkeeper, appeared to collect the ball but, under pressure from the advancing Len Davies, clumsily allowed the ball to roll through his grasp. In a desperate attempt to retrieve the ball Lewis only succeeded in knocking the ball with his elbow into his own net.[3] Ernie Curtis, the 19 year old centre-wing said of the goal:

“ "I was in line with the edge of the penalty area on the right when Hughie Ferguson hit the shot which Arsenal's goalie had crouched down for a little early. The ball spun as it travelled towards him, having taken a slight deflection so he was now slightly out of line with it. Len Davies was following the shot in and I think Dan must have had one eye on him. The result was that he didn't take it cleanly and it squirmed under him and over the line. Len jumped over him and into the net, but never actually touched it." ”

It is believed that this cup final attracted one of the highest audiences ever, as it was the first to be broadcast by BBC Radio. Captain Fred Keenor received the FA Cup trophy from King George V only 7 years after Cardiff City had entered the Football League and six seasons since they had been promoted to the top division.

Ferguson still features on the record books for Cardiff City, having scored five goals in the First Division fixture with Burnley on 1 September 1928. In fact, Ferguson's 32 goals in all competitions in 1926–27 stood until Robert Earnshaw overtook it in March 2003. He scored the first in the 2–1 victory over the Corinthians in the 1927–28 Charity Shield and his two goals won the Welsh Cup later that same season for Cardiff against Bangor; but despite a healthy return of 77 goals during his four seasons there his days at Ninian Park were numbered.

Between 1985 and 1993, Cardiff were continuously in the lower two divisions of the league after being relegated to the Third Division. They were relegated to the Fourth Division once in 1985–86 season and were promoted to the Third Division in 1987–88 as runner-ups. Two years later they dropped into the Fourth Division for the second time. Cardiff won the new Division Three championship in 1993 but were relegated two years later, and in 1996 finished in their lowest-ever league position – 22nd of 24 in Division Three, with only Scarborough and Torquay United below them. They did better the following season, finishing seventh (although they lost in the playoff semi-final), but suffered a setback and slipped into the bottom half of the table in 1998. They finished third in Division Three in 1999 and won automatic promotion to Division Two.

Cardiff struggled in Division Two throughout the 1999–2000 season and were relegated in 21st place. They finished Division Three runners-up the following season and Lebanese businessman Sam Hammam joined the club.

Datuk Chan Tien Ghee (TG) took over as chairman on 27 May 2010 after a meeting on the same day. Vincent Tan also investing and joining the board. TG confirmed that Dave Jones would continue as the Cardiff City manager.[18] On 17 August Cardiff signed Wales captain Craig Bellamy on a season long loan from Manchester City, with the financial side being backed by the new owners. Despite the influx of Bellamy and several other loan players Cardiff were unable to achieve promotion, falling out of the top two and losing to Reading in the play-off semi-final. At the end of 2010–11 season, Dave Jones was sacked,[19] and four days later former Wales rugby player, Mike Hall rejoined the board as part of a deal with PMG.[20] On 17 June 2011, Watford boss Malky Mackay was appointed as manager of Cardiff.[21] During his first season, Mackay had to rebuild the squad as he started with a few over ten players after the loan players from the previous season returned to parent clubs and several contracts expired. despite this he took Cardiff to the League Cup final, for the first time in the club's history. Then Cardiff played in their third consecutive play-off campaign, only to lose in the semi-finals against West Ham United, this time.

Cardiff City wore a blue home kit from 1908 until 2012.

Cardiff changed their home colours to red and black as well as their badge from the 2012–13 season, in exchange for an investment plan from the Malaysian owners including a new training facility, stadium expansion and a transfer budget.[22] They went on to have their best start to a league campaign ever, whilst also breaking the club record of 9 consecutive home wins, when they won their tenth home game against former manager Dave Jones' Sheffield Wednesday side.[23]

Cardiff topped the Championship with a 10-point cushion after 28 games of the season. On 1 March 2013, Datuk Chan Tien Ghee resigned his position as chairman to pursue other business opportunities.[24] The club won the 2012–13 nPower Championship title and with it gained promotion to the Premier League for the first time

On 18 August 2013, Cardiff played their first ever Premier League game away to West Ham United, losing 2–0.[28] On 25 August 2013, Cardiff played their first home Premier League game against Manchester City, winning 3–2 with goals from Aron Gunnarsson and Fraizer Campbell (2).[29]

On 27 December 2013 Malky Mackay was sacked by Vincent Tan following showdown talks, to be replaced on 2 January 2014 by Ole Gunnar Solskjær.[30] Cardiff were officially relegated from the Premier League on 3 May after suffering a 3–0 defeat away to Newcastle United.[31] They finished the season in last place with 30 points from 38 matches.

(above taken fom wikipedia)

Can you get them back to the promised land

Squad

Goalkeepers

David Marshall

Simon Moore

Defenders

Fabio

Declan John

Bruno Ecule Manga

Matthew Conolly

Ben Turner

Juan Cala

John Brayford

Sean Morrison

Midfield

Peter Whittingham

Kagisho Dikgacoi

Kim Bo Kuyang

Craig Noone

Magnus Wolf Eikrem

Aaron Gunnarsson

Tom Adeyemi

Mats Daehli

Joe Ralls

Guido Burstaller

Anthony Pilkington

Strikers

Kenwyn Jones

Nicky Maynard

Adam LeFondre

Federico Macheda

Javi Guerra

Recommendations

I would reccomend getting rid of Kim and Eikrem if your planning on playing a 4-4-2 and brining in another winger as backup to Craig Noone i would also reccomend getting rid of Kenwyn Jones to free up some transfer budget and wage budget as the other strikers are more than capible at this level

• 2 months later...
Can't believe OP isn't using Dæhli.

Easily one of the best players outside the prem in my eyes.

As a Cardiff fan, I think Daehli is a very overrated player and his stats on FM are about right. He has great feet with a low centre of gravity to twist, turn and wriggle out of tight areas, he rarely gives the ball away, but what lets him down is his lack of size, lack of physicality and lack of end product. I would rather a player who can hold defenders off and not be bullied off the ball so easily, but that's just me. Daehli could become a great player in the next 3-4 years, but there is a reason why he's just signed for Freiburg who are bottom of the Bundesliga and not a better European club.

At the moment, I would say Daehli has a similar playing style to Iniesta, without that burst of acceleration to penetrate and without the experience to make the correct decisions and produce an end product. He will learn and get better, but Freiburg will need to introduce him slowly. He isn't ready to be thrown in and save them from relegation just yet.

I will post my progress of my current save with Cardiff later by the way, I'm in work at the moment so I will wait till I get home so I can post screenshots etc.

I'm talking about in game... this is an fm thread after all..

I know you're taking about the game and I'm saying based on what I've seen of Daehli in real life, the stats for Daehli in game are about right, which is why the OP or myself don't have Daehli in our teams in game.

First thing I did was go on the editor to remove Vincent Tan and the rest of his Malaysian staff and download the Championship kit packs to swap the home kit and away kit around so Cardiff are blue at home. Changing Cardiff's home kit to blue on the editor makes the navigation bar go blue instead of red too, which is way more pleasing on the eye for me!

I had a lot of success playing a 4-4-2 narrow diamond on the previous FM so I've stuck with this tactic. This means I haven't been able to utilise Noone and Pilkington which is a shame, but I've currently just past the January transfer window and I'm 3rd. I had 10 wins in a row to take me to the top but then players not in the team kicked off about not being played and then the whole squad turned against me, so I had a horrendous Christmas period. I've only just got back to turning things back around to winning ways, I had to sell most of the players who were moaning and now I finally have a squad with good morale again.

Here are my transfers:

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t466/ross_bowden90/Transfers_zpsf84d78f4.jpg

Here is my team:

http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t466/ross_bowden90/Team_zps6b880657.jpg

Tore Reginiussen has been my best signing by a mile and I recommend everyone to get him!

Just came 2nd so I'm preparing for my new season in the Premiership. Looking to bring in decent free transfers and spend my transfer budget improving the spine of my team. I've signed Babacar permanently for 3.6 million, spending it over 12 month installments so it only takes up 1.8 million of my transfer budget. I need to bring in some good English players and I see Micah Richards and Tom Cleverly are available on frees, so I will target them. Barcelona's Sergei Roberto is available for 1.8 million too so I will try to bring him in too.

Not sure why my previous post got deleted? I only asked how to make my links appear directly onto the forum to save people from having to click on them to view?

After 6 games in the Premiership I am currently 6th, winning 3, drawing 2 and losing 1. One of the draws was 2-2 away to Chelsea. My only defeat was away to Liverpool, they hammered me 4-0 but that was my only my second game of the season. I'm playing a 5-4-1 narrow diamond, jamming up the middle of the park when defending and using my full backs as width when attacking. I have 2 pacey, powerful strikers in Khouma Babacar and Arouna Kone, who I signed on loan from Everton to lead the line, with Le Fondre and Macheda as back up. Kurt Zouma on loan has been a huge signing for me. My summer transfers are:

Players in:

Khouma Babacar - 3.6 million from Fiorentina

Michael Essien - Free

Sergi Roberto - 1.8 million from Barcelona

Matias Cahais - free from Universidad Catolica

Micah Richards - free

Arouna Kone - loan from Everton

David Lopez - 9 million from Napoli

Andre Almeida - free

Kurt Zouma - loan from Chelsea

Sebastien Bassong - 2.5 million from Norwich

Lorenzo Crisetig - loan from Inter

Players out:

Kevin Theophile-Catherine - 6.75 million to Wolves

Matthew Connolly - 5.75 million to West Ham

Nadir Ciftci - bought for 2.2 million but sold for 4 million to Leicester

Mikkel Diskerud - bought for 90k but sold for 3.1 with additional clauses possibly taking the fee up to 5.5 million to Sunderland

Fabio - 2.8 million to Aston Villa

John Brayford - 1.6 million to Wolves

Javi Guerra - 180k to Getafe

My current team is:

GK - Marshall

LB - Carles Planas

LCB - Bruno Manga

CB - Kurt Zouma

RCB - Micah Richards

RB - Gino Peruzzi

DM - David Lopez

LCM - Peter Whittingham

RCM - Aron Gunnarsson

AM - Sergi Roberto

ST - Arouna Kone

• 3 weeks later...

Well I came 4th in my first Premiership season. I was top in January but Man Utd ended up winning 7 in a row and ran away with it. I then had rotten luck with injuries which allowed Liverpool and Chelsea to overtake me. Still a great first season mind and I won the qualifying tie with Villarreal to get into the Champions League. I just drew 0-0 with Real Madrid and I also have Napoli and Celtic in my group. I have won 2 and drawn 2 in my first 4 league games but I have had more horrendous luck with injuries. Gino Peruzzi and Jose Welison were on under 23 duty for their countries too, so I have started the season without 7 of my key players. It's an absolutely incredible bad run of luck to start the season but I'm still holding my own and with 7 of my key players to return, I will only get better hopefully.

I would go into my transfers etc in greater detail, but it seems nobody is interested in this thread as I don't see anyone contributing, so I'm not sure whether to bother?

Does removing Tan not defeat the point of playing as Cardiff? Seeing as he is their owner...

When I started my save, I thought to get Cardiff to play in blue, I would have to get rid of Tan. There was no way I could start a game as Cardiff in red and I never thought Cardiff would be back in blue with Tan still the owner. This has somehow happened in real life, I'm over the moon in real life but I will never forgive that mad, Malaysian dictator for what he's put me through the past 2 and a half seasons. I will never forgive him.

• 2 weeks later...

im playing a 424 and am only in my second season. We got into the prem and with 26 games played we are 3rd in the league having spent much time in 1st position. In the first season i bought 1 player, a left back, and loaned Suso from liverpool to play as inside winger right. We finished second. Now, in the prem, still playing an attacking 424, the team has been great.

Daelhi now dubbed a wonderkid is amazing as attacking left and i bought Suso outright who has been incredible. I have some good youngers, also Rudiger and Danny Bath as CB and Lasogga as deep lying forward. Adam Le Fonde is prem top scorer and Danny Ings supersub is top 5. I still also play as first teamers Whittingham, Fabio, Marshall, Noone, Turner, Daelhi and Le Fonde.

The 4-2-4 sems to suit cardiff from the start of the Championship but am suprised at doing so well in the prem. In fact Mr Tan recently let me increase the budget to aim for Europe. With 2 strong CB's the tactic has been lethal including beating Man U, Chelsea, Man CIty, only Arsenal gave me a drubbing. Its taken 3 months to get this far with the save so another month i'll know if he bubble bursts. Still great fun so if anyone starts cardiff save and wants to systematically rebuild the squad then have a look at the talent of the team first. Kenwen Jones is rubbish and expensive, i couldnt sell him until I got to the mid xmas season 2.

• 1 month later...

Archived