Proving The Doubters Wrong

salkster2102

Authors Notes: I am using a large database with the 8.0.2 version. Their are 4 nations consisting of England (League Two), Italy (Serie B), Scotland (Third Division) and Spain (LIGA BBVA). This is my first fm story and im not that great with detail. So enjoy and i appreciate any advice or criticism.

I stared at the wall with disbelief. The man who had brought glory to the club had left. Mutual Consent they called it but i knew better. After 3 Champions League semi finals in four years with two of those reaching the final and one victory he had gone. A remarkable fa cup victory and he was now gone. Rafa Benitez had left Liverpool with reports saying there had been a bust up between him and the new owners. I wondered who his succesor would be. Who would be crazy enough to manage a club where its fans was demanding the Premier League title after a 18 year drought? Who would want the hassle with the new owners? I had always dreamed of the Kop singing my name. That dream had come true when i was a player. I had made over 150 appearences for the Reds with 30 goals. For a centre midfielder I thought that was pretty average but it wasnt the number of goals that had made me a Kop hero. It was the last minute winners that did it. That was enough for me but was it? No I wanted more, success, glory was what Liverpool wanted and I shared that dream. It was that what made me hand my CV into the mix of candidates.

A week after the sacking of Benitez was when I received the call i had been longing for.

"Hello who is speaking please?"

"Hi is that Martin Salkeld?"

"It is who's calling"

"My name is Janet Gilbert and i'm ringing on behalf of Rick Parry. He has requested an interview with you on Saturday at 11am for the vacant managers job that you applied for."

"Erm yes that is fine where do i need to go to meet him?"

"Come to the reception and I shall be waiting for you."

"Thanks very much I look forward to it."

"Thanks for your time Mr Salkeld"

The line went dead after that and i had a huge grin on my face. The time had come for me to start my career in management and it felt wonderful.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Here is the contract that you will need to sign Martin"

It had been a short process. My interview went very smooth. So smooth that Rick Parry told George Gillet on the phone whilst i was in the room that i was his personal recommendation. Considering my history with the club he felt this would be a great appointment and he didn't think the fans would object. I was scurried into the board room where they all was. The whole board including Tom Hicks and George Gillet. I was shown to my seat where a thin black folder was on the table in front of me. I looked at the documents inside it. One of which was my contract and another with the season expectations. My contract was £40,500 per week until 30th of June 2009. I signed with out having to think about it. This was my dream and i couldn't turn my chance down. My season expectations was to win the league with a trasnder budget of £35.5 million and a wage budget of £1.5 million. It seemed fair to me. They wanted the league title and was prepared to give me the resources to do it. It seemed a fair deal to me.

I was shown to my office next. Gary Ablett was waiting for me of course. I asked him what went wrong with Rafa Benitez.

"Well it all started at christmas when he lost his assistant Pako. That was a big blow to him and it left a lot of weight on his shoulders. Then the americans took over. It all seemed ok at first until the season finished. They had a big arguement over transfer targets, the staff, money all the day to day running of the club and then they sacked him."

"Ok then thanks. Gary this may be a bit of a blow to you but i'm not sure your ready to be an assistant manager yet." I could tell it hurt him but he seemed to understand. We negotiated him to work with the first team squad, the reserves and the under 18's as a coach. Now I needed an assistant manager. I looked at my staff and could see Alex Miller the current first team coach as the ideal man. I offered him a contract as assistant manager. Now that was settled I needed a new first team coach and could see a youth coach was needed. Advertisements was posted for them and started to work on my training schedule. It took a few hours work by then I had made a few phone calls. I needed to set my scouts some assignments. After that I switched on Sky Sports News. I was surprised at the breaking news although I shouldnt have been. I read it out aloud.

"Liverpool have announced a press conference to unveil their new manager."

"Thats right."

I looked for the source of the voice and saw Rick Parry at the door. He informed me it was in 2 hours time and that I needed to change into a decent suit. I rushed home, had a quick shower and got changed. By the time I arrived back at Anfield lots of cars was in the car park. I was a little nervous when it came to the press. I hated those sorts of people. Ones that go nosying into the business that doesn't concern them. But they had a job just like I have. So I can't fault them for doing that. Rick Parry spoke first

"Ladies and Gentlemen we are pleased to announce our new manager Martin Salkeld."

"Martin Jeff Forst from Sky Sports News, what made you decide to apply to a job that has lots of pressure?

"A good question. Every job that requires success has lots of pressure. For me it is almost as bad as taking a penalty in the last minute of a match. I believe I can handle the pressure of a club like Liverpool and bring back the glory days."

"Jennifer Brown The Independant, What is your first aim as manager of Liverpool?"

"I want to try and win the title first. Any other piece of silverware is a bonus."

"Geogre Smith The Mirror, What is your message to the fans of Liverpool Football Club?"

"Well I will need time to adjust to my job and to back the club any means necessary."

Rick Parry said that was enough for one day so I thanked the media for their time.

My first task as manager was to assess the squad with the staff. There was plenty of quality in depth there was no doubt about that. My first thought was the quality of strikers. Fernando Torres stood out straight away but apart from that not too much quality. An improvement was definetly needed and I already had an idea who. The only problem being was it would probobly take up my transfer budget. I sent my spanish scout to look at a few players in spain. I also received a few reports of two interesting youngsters. Mamadou Sakho of Paris St Germain and Henri Saivet of Bourdeux. Both with plenty of potential and recommended highly. I faxed enquiries to both clubs. I thanked the staff for their time and welcomed their opinions anytime.

I called Lucas and Emilano Insua to my office. Informed them that they wasn't ready for first team football this season and that I had offered them both out on loan to clubs. Both of them understood and took the news well to my surprise. 13 clubs were willing to take insua on loan and I gladly accepted. Lucas wasn't as popular however but 8 clubs were willing to take him on loan. I wasn't expecting that much offers so I couldn't complain.

Next was the affiliated clubs situation. Liverpool had loan deals with Southampton, Crewe and Acrington of the Championship, League One and League Two respectively. I asked San José and Ryan Flynn if they would go to Acrington for the season. For Crewe I asked David Martin and Nabil El Zhar. For Southampton I asked Sebastian Leto and Kristian Nemeth to go there for the season.

More good news has come. All the players I had asked to go out on loan for the season agreed and sealed their moves within a few days. I did receive the answers from my enquiries. Paris St Germain were willing to let him go for free but with a 10% percentage of the next sale. Bordeux had said the same regarding Saivet. This was more great news for me so I replied with the terms they had said. Insua had decided that Mallorca was the place for him to go this season. Lucas decided that Fiorentina was his place.But bad news did eventually come from Spain. I had scouted Thiago and Assulin of Barcelona. The Catalans didn't want to sell Assulin as he was a hot prospect but I felt a million may change their minds. Thiago however wasn't under contract so I offered him a contract. Later my scout informed me that we wasn't the only club interested him. This wasn't a surprise but was a bit of a blow none the less. He decided to go to Deportivo La Coruna. The other bad news was my striker prospect. The player I had enquired unfortunately wasn't for sale as he was an intergrel part of the club. An offer was made of 14 million up front and 14 million up front to be paid within 24 months.

My first friendly was to be played in Israel. A long travel could help in the long term if we have to come out to an eastern europe team in europe. My new assistant Alex Miller was to take charge of the friendlies so I could see the relationship he has with the players. We was to be playing a team nobody had heard of. So we had to be cautious.

Friendly - H. Kfar-Saba vs Liverpool

If there is one thing I can't complain about its the amount of chances we created. The one thing I can complain about is the lack of finishing. Kuyt could have had two in the first half and so could Benayoun. The israeli team closed us down at every opportunity so for our first friendly I could maybe let the players off this once.

Half Time H. Kfar-Saba 0 - 0 Liverpool

Again chances were wasted. I am hoping that we don't have many days like this. Kewell and Mascherano had a few long shots saved but then we thought we had scored. A good through ball from Kewell to Babel leaving him one on one with the keeper which he scored. Unfortunately for him he was offside. We did eventually score when Kewell's long shot was saved and Crouch pounced for the rebound to score with a hint of offside. The full time whistle came and i was informed we had had 27 shots on goal with 11 on target.

Full time H. Kfar-Saba 0 - 1 Liverpool

Our tour of Israel continued with Ahi Nazareth our next opponents. We were to stay in Israel for the month as we had two more friendlies after this one so there is no point going home to then come back. Israel had provided us with the best facilities they could offer for us to train. I told them that we was very grateful for this act of kindness.

Friendly - Ahi Nazareth vs Liverpool

This friendly was better than the last but it could be better. Crouch should have scored with a header from a corner. He missed another from point blank range. If he wants to be in contention for the season he needs to start scoring sooner rather than later. We did take the lead through captain marvelous. His free kick was deflected in off the wall wrong footing the keeper. He should have scored soon after when he was one on one with the keeper but his chip went over.

Half Time - Ahi Nazareth 0 - 1 Liverpool

More chances was wasted and I was wondering how we are going to cope this season if we can't thrash teams like these. Just as I was thinking that we got our second. A scramble in the box lead Benyoun to shoot but his shot was deflected in by the defender so it went down as an own goal. The game finished 2-0 but I was far from impressed from the performance.

Full Time - Ahi Nazareth 0 - 2 Liverpool

TomHAVFC thank you for your kind comment. Im enjoying your writing as much as i am writing this.

Ahead of my third friendly I announced to the media of my new additions to the coaching staff. Claudio Gilardino from Inter Milan is the highlight of them. His skills says it all and I'm delighted to have him aboard. He will be working as a coach with the whole squad. Stefano Eranio was a Youth Coach at AC Milan but is now my new 1st Team Coach. He had a 21 year playing career only playing for four clubs. One of those was Derby county so his english isn't a problem. My final addition is David Lowe from Wigan.

Before my third friendly I declared my interest in the wonderkid Sergio Aguero. I told the media that he would be a great addition to my squad at Anfield. My sources told me that he was pleased at this news and that he would consider the move. That was good news for the club. To get a player with his potential would be a win win situation for the club. My next friendly is against Maccabi Haifa, a name that is remembered at this club for a few years. Liverpool played them in the qualifying stages in the champions league a few years ago. Which of course the reds won but they made hard work of it. I was hoping that we wouldn't do the same today.

Friendly - M. Haifa vs Liverpool

We started well making a few chances. Agger's cross almost went in but the keeper tipped it over. The resulting corner he headed it over. We did take the lead on the half hour mark though. Gerrard played a ball into Kuyt in the box with him turning his defender and firing into the corner. The press had criticised him for his lack of finishing in the last few friendlies and that was a perfect way to answer them. We reached half time without no more chances but I was pleased with the dutchmans finish.

Half Time - M. Haifa 0 - 1 Liverpool

Five minutes after the restart we doubled our lead. Mascherano played a ball into Torres who fired it into the corner. It was just about the same as Kuyt's goal so that brought a smile to my face. Ten minutes later Kuyt doubled his tally. Benayoun made an inch perfect corner and Kuyt headed it in. I hoped he could get his hat-trick. He was brpught off soon after to a round of applause from both sets of fans. We got our fourth with ten minutes left. Riise's cross was poorly cleared and gerrard punished them with a thunderous shot. The match wasn't finished their however when Haifa got onto the sheet. A corner was poorly marked and crosa nodded it in at the far post in stoppage time. I was disappointed that we had conceded late in the game especially in that manner. In competitive matches it can be the difference between winning and losing a match. The final whistle came and I let my players know about their lapse in concentration but was pleased with the chances that was reated.

Full Time - M. Haifa 1 - 4 Liverpool

I had some negotiating to do before my fourth friendly. Bourdeux and Paris St Germain was just a 10% percentage next sale with no fees for Sakho and Saivet. I had agreed that with them but now they both want 45%. This was very annoying considering I them both for the potential they have. I faxed both clubs saying 25% with no fees. Hopefully this would suffice. Next was Sergio Aguero of Athletico Madrid. I wanted to pay 14 million up front with 14 million to be paid over 24 months. They wanted 19.5 million over 24 months. Considering that would take all my transfer budget up I had to lower it down.

My fourth and final friendly of the Israeli tour was M. Tel-Aviv. Considering this was a team that was in the Uefa Cup, this could prove a tough game out here in the middle east. I told the players on the coach this and I saw a few determined looks. Hopefully this would happen during the season.

Friendly - M. Tel-Aviv vs Liverpool

This game was all about one man paying back his hefty fee even if it is a friendly. We started to control the game from the off determined to end pre-season on a high. Tel-Aviv wasn't to be outdone and restricted us to long shots setting their defensive line on the edge of the area. Babel and Voronin both coming close for the reds but it was the hosts who took the lead. A poor pass from Agger left Skrtel stranding in the area. Berkovic pounced on the chance, he stole the ball off Skrtel and slotted it past Reina on the half hour mark. I was furious and made a mental note to show him what happens when you make stupid mistakes like that. We levelled a few minutes before half time. Gerrard put in a great cross for Torres who expertly controlled it and fired past the keeper. That cheered my mood up a bit. But still lessons had to be learnt.

Half Time M. Tel-Aviv 1 - 1 Liverpool

We received our first blow of pre-season. Riise had to be taken so Carragher took his place.On the hour mark we should have taken the lead. Babel was one on one with the keeper and fired straight at him. We did however take the lead a few minutes later. Tel-Aviv kindly gave the ball to Pennant who sent a long ball up to Torres. He once again controlled expertly and fired past the keeper for his and our second of the night. Our third came ten minutes later. Arbeloa made a great tackle who laid it off to Skrtel who passed it up to Carragher. He ran up the field a bit then sent a good ball to Babel. He took on a few players then laid it off to Crough. His through ball to Gerrard looked as though the latter was going to shoot but decided to put torres through. The Spaniard made no mistake and slotted it past the keeper to complete his hat-trick and effectively seal the game. I was delighted with that bit of fluid football and hoped for more of the same this season. The scoreline should have been biiger when Crouch fired just wide but under a lot of pressure. The final whistle came to end the match and our pre-season. As far as I was concerned there was definite room for improvement in the defense but overall a great pre-season.

Full Time - M. Tel-Aviv 1 - 3 Liverpool

Pre-season round up

1-0 W A H.kfar-Saba

2-0 W A Ahi Nazareth

4-1 W A M Haifa

3-1 W A M. Tel-Aviv

A week has past since pre-season ended and it has been rather mixed. I have appointed a new fitness coach, Markus Gunther from HSV. He can provide us what we needed and we can provide him with what he needs simple! I did however say goodbye to Gary Ablett. We had had a bust up regarding players status within the club and he decided to part ways with us. It was a blow none the less but at the end of the day his quality of coaching wasn't up to scratch for a club at our level.

I also found that the Spanish and the French aren't very good to make deals with. Both french clubs was holding out for 45% percentage of the next sale and quite frankly that is too much. Even if I offer it to come with a fee and a lower percentage they just put back up again. Hopefully I can make an arrangement with them. Athletico Madrid however are holding out for the extra 5 million that I dont want to pay for Aguero. He is a good player but I do need to try and keep some more money. Hopefully a perecentage of the next sale will change their minds.

The odds for the Premier League title have been released by Sky Bet and the odds are as follows:

Man Utd 7-4 Favourites

Chelsea 2-1

Liverpool 5-2

Arsenal 5-2

A group of journalists was waiting outside the car park for me for my take on the odds.

"Well we definetly have a good chance to win or the bookies wouldn't have given us those kind odds. We will however need to focus on every match and give our best till the fat lady sings."

Authors Notes:My speed in writing this story will be slowing down after today as I start college tomorrow.

A week before my first league game with Middlesborough I accepted a very lucrative offer from The Daily Mirror for a personal interview about the upcoming season. I'm hoping this will stop the media poking around me as much as they are doing at the moment. I can understand the fans wanting my views on the season but I can't do it daily. This is a problem that i'm going to have to deal with during the season.

"Martin thanks for doing this session with us."

"Not a problem Dave."

"Straight to business then, where do you think you will finish this season?"

"Well it depends on how consistent we are. This league is a marathon and the ones that win it are the ones that are most consistent. It is very important we get off to a good start as we don't want to be playing catch up right from the off. That starts with Middlesborough. I'm expecting a tough game there but if we play to our best we can win."

"What about the Champions League? You have been given a tough tie in Russia with Spartak Moscow. How does that field into your plans for Middlesborough?

"I'm not going to give clues out if i'm going to be resting players for that match. If the game is sealed I may take a few key players off but only if it is sealed. It will be a tough tie there for sure. Hopefully we can get a goal or two then finish them off at Anfield. They have a long trek here as we do there so that may come into consideration. As for how far we may go, it depends on the luck of the draw."

Okay then, now you have been awfully quiet in the transfer market this summer, should fans be worried by this?

"We are working on a major signing but it is going to take time. We are having some difficulties with agreeing a fee and could face some competition. We have signed 17 year old Mamadou Sakho from Paris St Germain who is now on loan at Southampton. He has plenty of potential so it will take time to nurtue him into a good player. We did agree a deal with Bordeux for Henri Saivet but he decided to agree a new contract with Bordeux. That happens in football i'm afraid."

"If you fail to get your "major signing" do you have a backup plan?"

"Currently not at the moment. Players that I would have considered have just moved before I arrived here so that is something I cannot control. If we fail to sign anyone before the windown comes it won't be panic time. We have plenty of quality in depth at the moment but it can always be improved."

"And finally Martin any predictions on who will win the league this year?

"Liverpool"

We ended the interview right there and asked him if I will get a positive reaction out of that. He replied with a diffinitive don't know and thanked me for my time.

Sunday 12th August

Today marked the start of our league campaign and already things was looking good for us. Chelsea and Fulham started off the season as the first london derby and lunchtime kick off yesterday. Fulham won 2-1 to plenty of cheers as we watched the match on tv. Man Utd and Arsenal faced each other in the evening which finished 1-1 so things was looking well. We could go at least two points clear of our biggest rivals if we won today.

Premier League

Middlesborough vs Liverpool

Starting lineup 4-4-2

GK Reina

RB Finnan

CB Carragher

CB Hypia

LB Riise

RM Benayoun

CM Gerrard

CM Alonso

LM Babel

ST Torres

ST Crouch

This I felt was one of the strongest lineup I have. Normally Agger or Skrtel would start but from that last friendly they needs to learn mistakes costs matches. We started well, Gerrard headed over within five minutes and Torres shot straight at Schwarzer after being put clean through. Crouch later headed wide when it should have least been on target. It was clear their keeper was in for a busy afternoon and in the 16th minute we took the lead. Choto very kindly made a poor pass which went straight to Torres. The spaniard made no mistake and fired us into the lead. Gerrard almost doubled the lead straight after but put it over. He did score ten minutes later with a thunderous drive into the corner of the net. We went in at the break 2-0 up deservedly with Reina rarely troubled.

Half Time - Middlesborough 0 - 2 Liverpool

I told the lads that I was pleased with their efforts and could make this match embarrasing for Middlesborough. The second half didnt have the same spark as the first half did with boro trying to keep the scoreline down. Torres should have doubled his tally on the hour when he was one on one with the keeper but shot straight at him. Their first chance of the second half came to Alves but Reina saved the effort which was going into the top corner. I brought Skrtel, Mascherano and Kuyt on for Hypia, Alonso and Crouch with twenty minutes to go. The game was sealed on the 88th minute when Gerrard played a good ball to Kuyt who fired it past the keeper. Boro did get a consolation goal when Alves fired past Reina a minute over the scheduled stoppage time. I repeatedly asked the fourth official why was we still playing and he didnt answer. That was a mistake by the ref and he knew it was. The game finished straight after kick off and I shook hands with Southgate. He wasn't impressed by his side today and in truth I couldn't blame him. I told the lads that I was pleased with their effort today and they deserved to be top of the table.

Full Time - Middleborough 1 - 3 Liverpool

Wednesday 15th August

Today marked the start of our campaign in Europe. We had to travel 1608 miles to Spartak Moscow in Russia. The weather was to play a part as well. Even though it was summer it was to be a blustery day at 2 degrees celcius. This could prove useful when we are playing around christmas.

Champions League

Spartak Moscow v Liverpool

I made three changes to the side that won on Sunday. Arbeloa, Agger and Mascherano came in for Finnan, Hypia and Alonso. I told the players that this game was more than winable and to make sure to get an away goal or two. We started the better of the two teams. Mascherano fired over and Crouch headed wide within five minutes. Twenty Minutes later Mascherano's deflected shot hit the post and Crouch put it in the net but he was offside. We should have taken the lead just before half time when Torres put it wide when it was easier to score. Half time came and we should be in front.

Half Time - Spartak Moscow 0 - 0 Liverpool

I told the lads we can still win this and they took it to heart. Crouch had a shot deflected which wrong footed the keeper and crept into the net. Ten minutes later he should have scored again but shot at the keeper. With 25 minutesleft I brought Gerrard off for Alonso. He wasn't having the best of games and was rested for the game at the weekend. Five minutes later Torres and Babel came off for Kewell and Voronin to be rested. With ten minutes left we got our second away goal and sealed the game. A little scramble in the box gave Benayoun some space to shoot and made no mistake to get his first goal for the club. The game finished without incident and 2-0 was what I was hoping for. As long as there isn't any silly mistakes in the home tie we will be through.

Full Time - Spartak Moscow 0 - 2 Liverpool

After the match I received a message from Carlo Ancelottie of AC Milan. He wanted to know how much we wanted for Gerrard. I replied with a very angry response of hes not for sale.

We travelled to London for our second match in the league. Tottenham were our opposition today and it was no doubt going to be a good game. They had won one drawn one in their two games and scored only one with conceding none. That run I hoped will end today.

Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool

Two changes were made to the side that won in midweek. Alonso replaced Mascherano and Finnan replaced Arbeloa. This was a game that will be difficult to win was what I told my players. The first chance of the game came on ten minutes. Our corner was cleared and Gerrard put it back in. Torres broke the offside trap and put his diving header just wide. The next five minutes was entertaining. Keane had a shot saved off the line by Finnan and they we scored. Benayoun had a cross deflected wrong footing Robinson. Torres fired home past the stranded keeper. Ten minutes later Alonso's long range effort crept in.Two minutes later it was three. Crouch flicked it on for Torres who slotted it in. Twenty five minutes gone and we was cruising. Two minutes after that Crouch chipped Robinson from outside the area into the net to make it 4-0. I was completely dumbstruck. Torres should have got his hat tick soon after but shot straight at Robinson. Half Time came and I couldn't believe my eyes. I was delighted and let my team know it.

Half Time - Tottenham Hotspur 0 - 4 Liverpool

Spurs came out determined to get on the score sheet and would have if it wasn't for some superb goalkeeping by Reina. Clearly he wanted a clean sheet. After twenty minutes of the second half Kuyt and Mascherano came on for Alonso and Crouch to astanding ovation from our travelling supporters. Ten minutes later Hypia came on for Carragher. Spurs did have the ball in our net with ten minutes to go. Bent chased onto a long ball from Keane and finished well. Unfortunately for him he was about five yards offside. The second half finished without incident and I couldnt be happier. The score should have been bigger but spurs had to thank their keeper for that.

Full Time - Tottenham Hotspur 0 - 4 Liverpool

TomHAVFC thank you for following this and I will be following yours. It has been a good start but we shall see how long it will last

Saturday 25th August

We welcome Man City to Anfield today. Both sides coming off of 4-0 victories confidence will be high in both camps. I am a little skeptical of their summer signings. Mensah isnt too bad but these next two has me puzzled. Shaun Wright Phillips and David Bentley. I have the greatest of respect for Eriksson but that is just plain stupid.

Premier League

Liverpool vs Manchester City

Two changes were made to the side. Skrtel and Mascherano came in for Carragher and Alonso. If we were to maintain our 100% record we need to win this and I told the players this was do able. Gerrard fired wide after a good team move on five minutes. City made the mistake of inviting my captain onto them. He happily obliged and fired it into the corner of the net. Five minutes later we doubled the lead. Skrtel headed in at the near post from Benayoun's corner. We did have a goal disallowed on the 20th minute. Gerrard played in Crouch who slotted it in but was a fraction offside. Torres and Crouch had headers well saved by Hart in the City goal. The only chance City had in the half was from Benjani but he fired well over. Half Time came and I was very pleased with my side.

Half Time - Liverpool 2 - 0 Manchester City

We came out trying to finish what we started. Gerrard hit a shot straight at Hart then later fired one over. He did get his second of the afternoon soon after. Once again he was given room to run forward and fired past Hart. Alonso came on for Mascherano on the 65th minute. Kuyt and Carragher came on for Crouch and the for the rarely troubled Agger. The Blues were trying so much not to concede again that they switched to a five man midfield. We almost forgot to defend our on net. Benjani made a great turn and fired towards the top corner. Reina was on hand though and tipped it over for a corner. Mensah did head it into the net but had fouled Carragher. The match finished there and I was pleased with the performance.

Full Time - Liverpool 3 - 0 Manchester City

I found out after the match that after that win we was top of the table. It was just deserved for us. Long may it continue.

Authors Notes:Good news will be happening soon

Wednesday 29th August 2007

Today marked the return leg of the trek we had to take to Russia. We was heavy favourites for the game after our 2-0 win in the first leg. I would be mad to not be confident of progressing to the group stages. Thursday will be an important day as well. Not that I will be saying what it is but I can guarentee the fans will like it.

Champions League

Liverpool vs Spartak Moscow

Rotation seemed to be happening a lot with my lineups, and tonight I wasn't going to stop doing that. Carragher and Alonso came in for Mascherano and Finnan. Torres missed a great chance on the quarter hour mark after Crouch unselfishley layed him off. We effectiveley sealed the tie on 18 minutes with a good move. Torres and Crouch diverted their markers to one side to leave room for Gerrard. Captain marvellous took his chance and fired into the corner. Five minutes later he hit the crossbar and Crouch should have put the rebound in. Seven minutes later we doubled our lead. Benayoun hit a low cross into the box and Babel fired in to mark his first goal for the club. Five minutes after that Benayoun scored an exquisite free kick into the top corner. Half time came and I was very pleased with our dominance of the game.

Half Time - Liverpool 3 - 0 Spartak Moscow

It was 4-0 straight after the break. Alonso curled a good shot into the bottom corner of the net. Their keeper scooped the ball up in disgust. They was allowing us room to shoot even with plenty of bodies in front of goal. Benayoun got his second of the night on the hour. Gerrard's shot wasn't cleared and the Israeli was on hand to make it 5. Bad news did eventually come. Gerrard picked up an injury on the 65th minute so Kewell came on in his place. Arbeloa also came on for Riise. They seemed to be trying to injure all my players as Carragher had to come off for Finnan. I yelled at the ref to give my players more protection. Torres decided to join in on the action. There was a large scramble in the box and Torres was in the right place at the right time to fire into an empty net. The game finished without any more incidents. A very dominant performance from my side.

Full Time - Liverpool 6 - 0 Spartak Moscow

Liverpool have qualified for the group stages after an 8-0 aggregate win over Spartak Moscow.

Thanks a lot mark. Coming from a great writer like you that means a lot. I will try to remember to do that in the future.

Thursday 30th August 2007

After the injuries we received yesterday I felt the need to visit Rob Price my head physio. He informed me that Gerrard only got a bruised jaw and will need to be rested for around a week. Carragher's news was much worse. He's got a broken jaw and will probobly be out for a month. It was a blow that as he was our leader at the back. I thanked him for his time and he did the same. The good news that i had promised on thursday was now delayed till friday. The group stages for the champions league was drawn today. I found out that it was quite tough. Porto and Marseille are going to prove a stern opposition but at least no long dstances as the longest will be to Sparta Prague.

August Round-up

3-1 W A Middlesborough Torres Gerrard Kuyt Premier League

2-0 W A Spartak Moscow Crouch Benayoun Champions League (3rd Quali Leg 1)

4-0 W A Tottenham Hotspur Torresx2 Alonso Crouch Premier League

3-0 W H Manchester City Skrtel Gerrard x2 Premier League

6-0 W H Spartak Moscow Torres Alonso Gerrard Benyounx2 Babel

League Position 1st

An article in The Sun

Liverpool stir up deadline day!

Transfer deadline day came and we can say the radio call ins was full of Liverpool fans with full praise for manager Martin Salkeld. He made have frustrated the fans with the wait for his first first team signing of the summer but it was well worth the wait. He broke the record of highest transfer fee that was set by none other than Rafa Benitez for Fernando Torres from Athletico Madrid. Mr Salkeld has been shopping there also with the signing of wonderkid Sergio Aguero believed to be worth in the region of £32,000,000. Salkeld had made an interview earlier in the summer announcing that he was working on a major signing but it was taking a lot of negotiating. Liverpool will play Wigan at home in the league cup third round.

Authors Notes: Now the transfer Window is closed I will do my squad report. I haven't sold anybody so if I don't mention anyone they are in the reserves.

Charles Itandje GK 24 - Will be the understudy to Reina and will likely be playing in the domestic competitions to keep happy.

José Manuel Reina GK 25 - Is already attracting interest from AC Milan with no surprise. He is my main goalkeeper.

Jamie Carragher DRC 29 Vice Captain - Starting to get on now and will be hard to replace. One of the main reasons why Liverpool are where they hard to play. Will be playing a lot this season.

Alvaro Arbeloa DRL WBR 24 - There to provide competition for the right back slot for the ageing Finnan. May be my main right back in a few years.

Emilian Insua DL 18 - Has a lot of potential to be one of the greats at the club. Currently on loan at Mallorca for first team experience.

Daniel Agger DC 22 - Already a great young centre back and can only get better. Another one that can ge a Liverpool great in a few years. Will be a key part in my title chase.

Sami Hypia DC 33 - Probobly wont play much this season. There to provide experience and a bit of competition at the back.

Martin Skrtel DC 22 - Same as Agger. Hoping to form a good partnership that will benefit in years to come. Will play a key part in the present and the future.

Steve Finnan DWBR 31 - Second oldest at the club and may get sold in a year or two due to his age. Likely to play a lot of the season.

John Arne Riise DWBML 26 - Will be in competition with Aurelio for the left back slot. Been a true great for the Reds over the years and an unsung hero.

Fabio Aurelio DWL 27 - Will provide tough competition at left back. Started the season with an injury and expected to bounce back.

Lucas Leiva DM 20 - Currently on loan at Fiorentina to gain first team experience. Most likely one to watch in the future.

Javier Mascherano DM 23 - Will provide tough competition with Alonso for my defensive minded centre midfielder. A regular for Argentina says it all.

Xabi Alonso MC 25 - Should be a regular for Spain in my opinion. A wonderful passer of the ball and can score from his own half as well :D.

Yossi Benayoun AMRLC 27 - A fairly decent winger and fits into my tactic. The most consistent of my team so far. Scored 3 in 5 watch out Ronaldo ;)

Steven Gerrard AMRC 27 Captain - His record says it all. A true Liverpool great and a fantastic role model for the kids. A regular for the under achieving England.

Harry Kewell AMLC 28 - Will be pushing for playing time this season. More likely to play as a back up from now on. May let his contract expire.

Ryan Babel AMLC, FC 20 - Definetly one for the future. Likely to be played on the left for most of the season but may occasionly be moved into the middle or the right. Unlikely to go upfront unless dire emergency.

Sergio Aguero AM FC 19 - Cost a bombshell and will have to prove he was worth that much. Has the potential to be known as one of the best strikers ever in my opinion.

Peter Crouch ST 26 - Likely to be on the bench for the remainder of the season. Will be used as an impact sub.

Dirk Kuyt ST 27 - The dutch workhorse he is known as. May get tired of playing back up this season.

Fernando Torres ST 23 - A great striker already and will definetly improve. Will be a key part this season.

Sunday 2nd September 2007

Today we host Portsmouth, a game which could send us top of the table and open a points margin on our rivals. Their was room for a debut for Aguero. Otherwise no surprises was in my lineup with Gerrard and Carragher out injured.

Reina, Finnan, Skrtel, Agger, Riise, Benayoun, Alonso, Mascherano, Babel, Torres, Aguero

Premier League

Liverpool vs Portsmouth

I challenged my players to take what is theirs and that is top of the table. We should have had a penalty on the 4th minute. Mascherano played a through ball for the in form Benayoun but he was fouled by Aubey in the box. The ref said no to our pleas with a chorus of boos from our fans. We did however get a penalty a minute later. Benayoun put it in the box and Distin tripped Torres. The spaniard cooly slotted his penalty away after being fouled for his 5th of the season. After the goal we started to dominate. Torres shot straight at James after being put through and Aguero dragged his shot wide after expertly turning Campbell. James seemed determined not to let another goal in by saving efforts from Benayoun, Torres and Aguero again. We received a blow just before half time. Alonso had to come off injured so Kewell came on in his place. The players walked into the changing room with a deserved one goal lead with pompey reducing us to long shots.

Half Time - Liverpool 1 - 0 Portsmouth

"Keep playing the way you are and the goal will come" was the only thing I could tell my lads.

Torres should have doubled his tally ten minutes after the break. Mascherano put him clean through but he shot straight at James again. Crouch came on for the debutabt Aguero on the 67th minute. The Argentine had showed some promise in his debut. Ten minutes later Arbeloa came on for Finnan. We was lucky not to be level after that. Kanu had turned SKrtel who had dived in and was through on goal. Unfortunately for him he skied his effort into the visiting supporters. Portsmouth would have been level if it was for some great blocking by Skrtel. Lee Mason blew the full time whistle soon after to give us a deserved victory against a side who was clearly playing for a draw.

Full Time - Liverpool 1 - 0 Portsmouth

Scorers: Torres (P) 6

Xabi Alonso will be out for 2 months with strained knee ligaments

sherm thank you very much. To my surprise I have won every game competitive and non but will remain to see how long it will last. I'm enjoying your Celtic story very much as well

Wednesday 5th September

Today was our 4th home game in a row and a chance to go four points clear at the top. Although early in the season West Ham was only outside the relegation spots by one place due to goals scored. They had drawn three of their four games so far including Chelsea. I'm guessing they will probobly play a five man midfield.The only change to my side was the return of Gerrard for the injured Alonso.

Premier League

Liverpool vs West Ham United

I was surprised to see that the Hammers was playing a four four two formation. I was expecting a win today and told the players to put on a show for the fans. We opened the scoring on the third minute. Gabbidon tripped Torres in the area nad the ref had no choice put to point to the spot despite the protests. Torres cooly slotted it home to give us an early lead. Five minutes later we had another penalty. Gabbidon again tripped Torres to give us another chance from the spot. Gerrard took it this time and fired it into the top corner. Ten minutes after that it was three. Gerrard played a through ball for Benayoun who who put it into the far corner. The Hammers weren't to be outdone though. Upson headed in a corner on the stroke of half time to change my team talk slightly.

Half Time - Liverpool 3 - 1 West Ham United

A few minutes after half time we had another penalty. This time Upsone was the culprit tripping Aguero. Gerrard once again put it in the top corner to get his 50th goal for Liverpool. I wondered at that point if we was getting all our penalties this season in one game. Our captain picked up a knock on the hour so Kewell came on as a precaution. After that the London side changed to a five man midfield knowing they had already lost. So I brought Hypia on for Skrtel to give a bit more experience at the back. Crouch came on with with twenty minutes to go for Aguero. With ten minutes to go Kewell and Benayoun had picked up knocks but was able to continue. The ref blew to finish a very quiet second half. I had no doubt that my counterpart Curbishley will be complaining about all the penalties they had had against them but I wasn't one to complain :D.

Full Time Liverpool 4 - 1 West Ham United

Scorers: Torres (P) 4, Gerrard (P) 8 (P) 48, Benayoun 18

After the game I found out that all my players had come through the game unscathed except Kewell. He had a bruised head and will be out for six days although he won't miss any games due to an international break.

Wednesday 12th September

Even though it was the international break I still had things to do. The odds for the champions league have been released. AC Mil have been quoted as favourites at 8-1 with us at 14-1. I think we deserved better than that and set to prove them wrong. Pennant set out to prove he deserved first team football by missing training for the first time. He was lucky I was in a relatively good mood and only warned him. Professionly he accepted it and set out to improve his behaviour. I did get some bad news regarding internationals. Gerrard had picked up a facial injury in England's 4-1 victory over Russia. He will miss the Wigan game unfortunately but I was considering resting him anyway as he was rather tired.

Thanks mark. Im enjoying yours even though it is about man utd.

Saturday 15th September

Only 3 players was unable to play today but with this game I felt we could rotate a bit. Arbeloa came in for Finnan and Riise dropped to the bench to make way for the returning Aurelio. Kewell got his first start under me in place of Gerrard. Hypia replaced Skrtel.

Premier League

Wigan vs Liverpool

The only thing I was fearing about this game was the pitch. Wigan took the lead to my surprise on six minutes. Darren Bent proved too quick for Hypia and powered the ball past a stunned Reina. Hypia headed over on the half hour mark when he should have scored. Wigan was trying very hard to keep hold of their lead and was doing a good job of it. It didnt last as Hypia headed in at the near post on thirty two minutes to put us on the score sheet. Wigan did retake their lead ten minutes later from a fantastic Michael Brown freekick. I was very dissappointed at half time and brought Finnan on for a poor Aurelio.

Half Time - Wigan 2 - 1 Liverpool

The second half started off very dull with Wigan defending their lead intensively. On the hour I decided to go for it and send Riise and Crouch on for Kewell and Aguero. The srest of the half was very dull and finished as it did at half time. My rotation had come back to haunt me but that was nothing to the performance of my players.

Full Time - Wigan 2 - 1 Liverpool

Scorers: Bent 7, Brown 43; Hypia 33

Yeh I know strange one that west ham game. The wigan game was awful as we didnt perform. Torres and Aguero aren't gelling together like I hoped so im a bit oncerned at the moment as its my midfield that are getting the goals. Benayoun has been amazing for some reason.

off and on really tom. wasting too many chances for me by shooting at keeper but cant have them all im afraid. thanks for the comment though

Tuesday 18th September 2007

Today marked the day where we get back on track. Strarting with hosting Marseille in the group stages of the champions league. Gerrard was fit and raring to go so that was some much needed news. Aguero is ineligible after playing in the Uefa cup with Athletico Madrid so in comes Crouch.

Reina,Finnan,Skrtel,Agger,Riise.Benayoun,Gerrard,Mascherano,Babel,Crouch,Torres

Champions League Group Stage

Liverpool vs Marseille

We started well and got our reward on ten minutes. Gerrard played in Crouch who put it past the onrushing keeper. We made it two five minutes later. Gerrard layed it off to Crouch who gave a good through ball to Torres who fired home. Our four man midfield was cruising around their five. It should have been three a few minutes later. Mascherano had his shot deflected to Torres who wasted his chance shooting at the keeper. I was horrified at Crouch on the twenty-seventh minute. Benayoun had his shot saved and his rebound fell to Crouch. The net was open for him and he put it wide. Half Time came with the partnership Crouch and Torres giving me a selection headache for the next game.

Half Time - Liverpool 2 - 0 Marseille

We should have scored straight after the break. Gerrard had a fierce shot save and the rebound fell to Torres who once again shot at the keeper. Just before I made my first sub Cissé had a great chance. The former Liverpool man just had to slot it past Reinad but shot straight at him. Kewell came on for the tired Gerrard after that. Kuyt soon after came on for Crouch and Aurelio came on for Benayoun. The only think that lightened up the remainder of the half was a Kewell shot which was tipped over for a corner. The match finished at 2-0 giving us a perfect start to the group stage.

Full Time - Liverpool 2 - 0 Marseille

Scorers: Crouch 11, Torres 15

Sunday 23rd September 2007

I read an article on Thursday which I didn't like. Pennant had gone public about his lack of first team football. This to say surprised me but shouldn't have really as it was only a matter of time. I brought him to the office to tell him that sort of behaviour wasn't acceptable. Also if he did well in training he would get his opportunity. He seemed happy enough with it which was the best I could have hoped for I guess. Meanwhile today we host Aston Villa. Aguero marked the only change for Crouch after being ineligible during midweek.

Premier League

Liverpool vs Aston Villa

We had a great start. Gerrard had one of his blistering forward runs and sent a through ball to Benayoun. The Israeli had his shot saved but Torres scored with the rebound. Fibe minutes later we had a penalty. Laursen tripped Aguero on the edge of the box and the ref gave a penalty. Riise stepped up but fired straight at Sorensen. I was furious that we didn't double our lead. The signing of Aguero wasnt proving his thirty two million value. First he dragged his shot wide when he should have at least hit the target, then he failed to get to a rebound from his strike partners shot. Villa punished us with a great goal from Carew. Barry stole possesion of Gerrard and gave it to Carew. He snet his shot off the woodwork and into the net. Reina didnt stand nuch of a chance. On the stroke of half time we regained the lead. Gerrard sent a free kick to the far post and Aguero headed it in for his first goal for the club. We wasn't finished there though. Finnan's free kick was tipped over by Sorenson. Benayoun whipped it in the corner with Agger there to head it in at the near post. Half time came and I was very pleased with my players efforts.

Half Time - Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa

The second half wasn't very exciting. The first round of substitutions was more better. Arbeloa had come on for Riise and Kewell came on for Babel. Torres came off with fifteen minutes to go for Crouch. The only thing that lightened the rest of the half was a Gerrard effort which Sorensen had to gather at the second time of asking. Full time came with three points coming to us giving us a three point advantage at the top.

Full Time - Liverpool 3 - 1 Aston Villa

Scorers: Torres 3, Aguero 45, Agger 45, Riise missed pen 9; Carew 37

Thanks Spav, will try to keep this story going on as lomg as I can.

Authors Notes: Sorry for the delay but I seem to be really busy with college and watching my local team at the moment.

Wednesday 26th September 2007

Tonight was the start of our league cup campaign and a chance to avenge our loss at Wigan. Chelsea had avoided an upset with an extra time win over Sheff Utd. Due to having a large squad to keep happy it was time some of the back up players to impress me.

Itandje, Arbeloa, Hypia, Agger, Aurelio, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Kewell, Crouch, Kuyt

League Cup Third Round

Liverpool vs Wigan

A big win was expected from the fans so a reminder was needed for them. Wigan looked as though they may be playing on the counter as they lined up with a five man midfield. We got off to a very poor start. The visitors took the lead within two minutes. Arbeloa had headed the ball poorly and Palacios put it past the leaping Itandje into the top corner. Ten minutes later though we equalized. Benayoun had found some space on the wing and played a square ball to Kuyt. The dutchman had his shot deflected which wrong footed Kirkland and rolled into the net. Things got better five minutes later with Crouch putting his name on the scoreboard. Mascherano had stolen the ball off Palacios and played it over to the left wing where Kewell was waiting. The australian put in an exquisite cross for Crouch who headed home. The match had only had three shots and the scoreline was 2-1. Crouch doubled his tally on twenty two minutes with Aurelio the architect this time. We couldnt find a way through their defense so Aurelio put in a great cross with Crouch towering over his marker to head home. Straight after the kick off he completed his hat trick. Melchiot had played a poor pass to Figueroa and Crouch intercepted. The only thing left for him to do was put it in the net and his finish was as cool as you like. King could have scored two before half time. His first chance he stumbled at the wrong time in the area and Agger recovered to put it out of play. His next one was on the stroke of half time. He beat Hypia to a long ball put he fired straight at Itandje. Half time came with happy smiles on everyone's faces who was associated with Liverpool.

Half Time - Liverpool 4 - 1 Wigan

Three minutes after the break Gerrard joined in on the fun. Benayoun played a wonderful through ball to our captain who slotted it past the former red at a tight angle. On the hour it should have been six. Crouch tried to round Kirkland but he tackled well, Kuyt then had an open net to fire into but was blocked from a last ditch tackle from Figueroa with the ball being cleared after that mad scramble. After that Finnan came on for the poor Arbeloa and Babel came on for Mascherano putting Kewell into the centre of midfield. We had to thank Itandje on more than one occasion before the whistle came. Bent had raced past Hypia but he skied his shot into the stands. Things got worse for Wigan when Brown got his second yellow of the night to have an early shower three minutes before the break. Full time came and the look on Steve Bruce's face said it all as we booked our place in the fourth round.

Full Time - Liverpool 5 - 1 Wigan

Scorers:Kuyt 11, Crouch 16 23 24, Gerrard 48; Palacios 2, Brown sent off 90

Saturday 29th September 2007

Today we travelled to Stamford Bridge to hopefully put a spanner in the works for Chelsea's title hopes in the early lunch time kick off. The night before the match I watched a video of a few of Chelsea's games. A 4-2-3-1 formation seemed best to cope with their multi million pound dream team. A full strength team was needed here so plenty of changes from the game in midweek.

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Benayoun, Mascherano, Babel, Gerrard, Aguero, Torres

Premier League

Chelsea vs Liverpool

"Do this for the fans" was echoed around the changing room and each player was made to repeat it five times. We should have taken the lead when Torres was clean through on goal when Chelsea had flung numbers forward. Cech did well and needed help from Ivanovic to deny my centre forward. Chelsea did take the lead on ten minutes however. Carvalho sent a long ball forward into the box and Drogba sent a looping header over Reina. Almost straight after the kick off we should have equalised. Torres was once again clean through but Cech once again saved. Cech did brilliantly to deny Carragher's header from Benayoun's corner. Half time came with cheers from the Chelsea fans.

Half Time - Chelsea 1 - 0 Liverpool

Twenty minutes after the break we could have scored three. Riise and Gerrard had thunderous efforts turned over for corners and Torres again failed to convert a one on one chance with Cech. Kewell came on for the dissappointing Torres moving Aguero up front. Skrtel also came on for Agger. The only team that looked like scoring was us. Aguero, Gerrard, Kewell all had chances well saved by the brilliance of Cech and even Carvalho almost helped us on two occasions. The day wasnt to be ours and I had to shake hands with a delighted Avram Grant who knew that they didn't deserve anything from that match.

Full Time - Chelsea 1 - 0 Liverpool

Scorers: Drogba

The day turned out to be a very bad day for Liverpool. Our three point advantage was down to none only leading by goal difference from Man Utd. After those results I was informed that we will be facing Arsenal away in the fourth round of the League Cup.

September Round-up

1-0 W H Portsmouth Torres Premier League

4-1 W H West Ham United Gerrardx2 Torres Benayoun Premier League

2-1 L A Wigan Hypia Premier League

2-0 W H Olympique De Marseille Torres Crouch Champions League Group D

3-1 W H Aston Villa Torres Agger Aguero Premier League

5-1 W H Wigan Kuyt Crouchx3 Gerrard League Cup Third Round

0-1 L A Chelsea Premier League

Competitions:

Premier League 1st

Champions League Group D 1st

League Cup 4th Round vs Arsenal

Wednesday 3rd October

After looking at the fixture list for the next two months this month was key for getting as much wins as possible. Starting with Sparta Prague in the Champions League. Aguero is still ineligible so Crouch takes his place. Carragher also replaces Arbeloa at right back so we can go to our normal 4-4-2.

Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Babel, Crouch, Torres

Champions League

Sparta Prague vs Liverpool

We got off to a great start. Vasicek held on to the ball for too long and Torres stole the ball from him. He slammed the ball past the stunned Zidek to put us ahead on the third minute. Crouch and Mascherano all had chances within twenty minutes but put them over but it was Torres who was tealing the show. Benayoun put in a good cross with Torres controlling the ball fantastically before Vasicek could get to it and slotting home for his second of the match. Ten minutes later he completed his hat trick. Gerrard passed it to the Spaniard and took it past Vasicek again and drove his shot into the bottom corner. A few minutes later he got his fourth. Babel put in a poor cross but luckily Vasicek controlled poorly and Torres stole it off him again. The finish was easy for him after that. Half time came with out performance being brilliant.

Half Time - Sparta Prague 0 - 4 Liverpool

Not surprisingly Prague made a double substitution at half time. Vasicek who was having a nightmare of a game was one of them that came off. We almost conceded straight after the break. Carragher had made a poor clearence which went to Dosek. he sent a fourty yard shot top corner bound but Reina made a great save. On the hour Kuyt and Finnan came on for Carragher and Crouch. Prague was a much improved side from half time and almost got their reward with Kulic firing just over. With twenty minutes left Hypia came on for Agger. Prague's night got even worse when Sovis got a second yellow card in stoppage time reducing Prague's five man midfield back to four. The referee brought a close to a very quiet second half but needless to say it was a great performance from us.

Full Time - Sparta Prague 0 - 4 Liverpool

Scorers: Torres 3, 23, 33, 36; Sovis sent off 90

Saturday 6th October 2007

If we didn't win today I wouldn't be surprised if my head was being called for. Derby was todays visitors to Anfield with a bit of rotation in my lineup. Finnan and Aurelio came in for Riise and Skrtel. The players knew that I expected a win. I also informed them that the fans will expect the same performance from midweek.

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Aurelio, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Babel, Aguero, Torres

Premier League

Liverpool vs Derby County

The first goal came on the ten minute mark. The Rams cleared the ball poorly and it landed at Babel's feet. He played the ball to Mascherano who fed it to Aurelio with the brazilian sending the ball into the bottom corner of the net. Within half an hour we should have scored a few more. Mascherano hit a few shots wide which should really have at least gone on target. Torres's chance was more infuriating as he was one on one with Kinsky but shot straight at the latter. Before half time came Aguero and Gerrard was both guilty of missing easy chances so we went in at the break with a match that was still very much on.

Half Time - Liverpool 1 - 0 Derby County

Within ten minutes after the break my mood was even worse. Benayoun had two chances within a minute and somehow fired wide. Torres once again wasted a good chance and also fired over. After that Crouch and Kewell came on for the disappointing Torres and Gerrard to try and put this game to bed. The sub paid off straight away. Kewell made smart move with a free kick which everyone was expecting a shot. All but Benayoun and Crouch who made a smart one-two with the latter firing it past the keeper. With fifteen minutes to go he doubled his tally. Finnan played a long ball into the box for Crouch who headed it in. With the game now won Hypia came on for Finnan with Carragher moving to right back. The game finished at three nil with a polished performance from the lads.

Full Time - Liverpool 3 - 0 Derby County

Scorers: Aurelio 10, Crouch 67 75

Saturday 20th October 2007

After an international break in which England had qualified for euro 2008 with wins over Estonia and Russia. Today we travelled down to the outskirts of London to visit the Madejski Stadium. Reading were currently 11th in the table were hoping not to get second season blues. Three changes were made to the starting lineup from the victory over Derby. The in form Crouch came in for Aguero,Skrtel came in for Finnan and Riise replaced Aurelio. Alonso was fit for the bench after a one month lay out.

Reina, Carragher, Skrtel, Agger, Riise, Benayoun, Gerrard, Mascherano, Babel, Crouch, Torres

Premier League

Reading vs Liverpool

Both keepers were given a test within the first fifteen minutes. Reina denied both Doyle and a Shorey free kick meanwhile Sanchez tipped Crouch's effort over and saved Torres's amibitious effort. The deadlock was broken by Torres on the twenty ninth minute however. Shorey tripped the spaniard and Howard webb pointed to the spot. Torres made no mistake and put it in the top corner. The score remained the same till the break with both sides restricting each other to long shots.

Half Time - Reading 0 - 1 Liverpool

Three minutes after half time we doubled our lead. Sanchez had somehow saved Gerrard's effort and it was cleared for a throw in. We worked the ball with some neat passing work with Mascherano making no mistake from eight yards. Two minutes after that Torres doubled his tally. Crouch played Torres through with just Ingimarsson to beat. Torres's shot was originally going to hit the post but Ingimarsson deflected the effort and it slowly rolled in. This seemed to revitalise Reading with Kitson opening the Royals scoring after a through ball from Doyle. Ten minutes later Gunnarson played a long ball for Doyle who fired home from a tight angle. On sixty eight minutes Agger and Mascherano came off for Hypia and the returning Alonso much to a cheer from our fans in the corner of the stadium. With fifteen minutes later Aguero came on for Crouch. The royals comeback was complete on eighty eight minutes when Harper played through Doyle who made no mistake with his shot. The full time whistle came and I was furious that we had let a three goal lead go to waste.

Full Time - Reading 3 - 3 Liverpool

Scorers: Kitson 51, Doyle 61 88; Torres pen 29 49, Mascherano 48

Club News: Mascherano receives a one game ban after picking up five yellow cards.

Sorry for the delay for my next post. My pc had a load of viruses and been very busy with college and stuff. If anyone is reading this please post to show if I should carry on doing this anymore. Don't be afriad I don't bite.

Wednesday 24th October 2007

Tonight we went to Portugal to face off against FC Porto in the 3rd game of the group stage. "Look guys forget about Saturday this is a differnt game. Porto are a good side and will cut you apart if you make the same mistakes. Show me what you can do". I decided to play a 4-5-1 formation while playing on the counter.

Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Mascherano, Benayoun, Gerrard, Alonso, Babel, Torres

Champions League

FC Porto vs Liverpool

After 5 minutes we took the lead. Mascherano played a long ball to Torres who got there before Bruno Alves. The spaniard fired past the keeper before the onrushing defenders could get to him. Fifteen minutes later he almost got his second. He hit a curling shot from fourty yards with the keeper only just tipping it over the bar. Porto seemed to step up a gear after that taking hold of the ball. The only thing lacking was the final ball and the finish. Five minutes before half time we punished them. They had flung numbers in the middle of the box making space hard to find. Gerrard found Finnan with plenty of space on the flank who played a great through ball for Benayoun. The Israeli slotted it home with many protests for offside from the portugese side. To be fair he may have been marginly but it stood never the less. Half time came with Quaresma being the oppositions best player.

Half Time - FC Porto 0 - 2 Liverpool

Five minutes after the break the match was effectively over. Gerrard played a low cross which found Torres with his back to goal. He expertly turned Bosingwa and fired home from a tight angle. On sixty five minutes I pulled us back into a flat 4-4-2 with Kuyt and Aurelio coming on for Riise and Alonso. Five minutes later Hypia came on for Agger. Porto did pull a goal back later. Adriano played in Lopez who timed his run to perfection. He made no mistake and cooly slotted past Reina. The ref brought a close to what was a quiet second half which gave us three points.

Full Time - FC Porto 1 - 3 Liverpool

Scorers: Lopez 88; Torres 6 49, Benayoun 42

Sunday 28th October 2007

Today was a great chance to put a foothold over a few of our rivals. Man Utd has lost out at White Hart Lane and Arsenal drew at Man City. Chelsea however came up trumps against Portsmouth. "Look guys today we need to win this to put pressure on those mancs and Arsenal. Next month is going to be very hectic and very key to how we will finish this season. Do yourselves a favour and win this match." After the win in midweek I pulled us back to our normal 4-4-2 formation. Blackburn can be a match for anyone on their day especially with Santa Cruz. Two changes were made. Skrtel came in for Carragher and Aguero came in for Mascherano.

Premier League

Liverpool vs Blackburn Rovers

We got off to a flier. Alonso passed it to Aguero who somehow found the space between Friedal and the post to put us in the lead. It got better two minutes later. Rovers were trying to keep possesion of the ball put wasn't doing anything with it. Gerrard stole it off them and sent a through ball to Benayoun. The Israeli took it past Warnock on the edge of the box and saw Alonso waiting on the edge of the box. He passed it to the spaniard who thundered it into the top corner. We never took our foot off the gas forcing Friedal into some top notch saves. We got our reward though on twenty five minutes when Alonso played in a great free kick at the near post. Riise got their first and headed home his first goal of the season. We were unlucky not to add to the scoresheet before half time with Rovers not troubling Reina in goal.

Half Time - Liverpool 3 - 0 Blackburn Rovers

The second half didn't have the same spark as the first with chances coming few. Aguero did have a goal disallowed on the hour for offside. Soon after Crouch and Kewell came on for Babel and Torres. Five minutes later Finnan had to come off injured after a collision with Dunn. Carragher took his place. Things went from bad to worse for Blackburn when Mokoena was sent off for a second bookable offence. Uriah Rennie brought a close to a poor second half which sent us back to the top of the table opening up a one point lead.

Full Time - Liverpool 3 - 0 Blackburn Rovers

Injury News: Steve Finnan will be out of action for around a month with a sprained ankle.

Next six games:

Arsenal A 31.10 League Cup Fourth Round

Arsenal A 3.11 Premier League

FC Porto H 6.11 Champions League

Man Utd H 10.11 Premier League

Everton 24.11 Premier League

Marseille 28.11 Champions League

Archived