Brazil - official thread

PMLF

what about Felipe Luis who I thought was one of the best LBs in Europe this year?

been strongly linked with Chelsea but I'm not sure how far down the line the deal is

I like Filipe but will be 32 in 2018, we need someone peaking, he'll most likely be declining.

Alex Sandro perhaps a better option as he will be 27.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My prediction on May 12: :cool:

The round of 16 (Holland, Chile or Spain) might not be too easy, and in the quarter-finals Brazil might face Italy, England, Uruguay or Colombia.

But I do expect Brazil to reach the semis and then be eliminated by whoever Brazil face there.

Marcelo is dumb at defense. Really, he is weak.

Daniel Alves was a f... disaster too. Should have been in the pitch today. Lucky for him, but he deserved to be there.

So, we need two fullbacks.

Thiago Silva and David Luiz were great. Now I realize how much we missed without this two.

I never saw a player so lost in the pitch like Dante. Slow and dumb. He didn`t know were to run. Just terrible.

Luiz Gustavo is great. He has heart to play in a national team. But would be too old I think.

Hernanes should have more chances, but I don`t know his age. Paulinho is a very good player too.

But Oscar was bad the entire WC, and he is young. Need to find a reason for that. He was too bad since the second game.

Fernandinho was good, but today was horrible. Just horrible. Yes, the team was horrible, but he made a lot of mistakes in Germany goals.

We need to produce some new and more talented midfielders. Defensive and ofensive.

Forwards.

I don`t know what to say. 2010 was sad with Luiz Fabiano but this WC was something.

Hullk without a single goal, Jo too. And the f... Fred, our number 9, with just one goal the entire WC.

For us, Brazil, land of the greatest forwards in the history... Is something to cry for.

And we don`t have nothing better than those loosers.

Just Neymar is not enough.

We wasted too much time with Mano Menezes. Don`t know who CBF would pick now but we lack coaches too. They aren`t used to have good players to pick here in Brazil. They don`t know tactics to use with great players.:D

Scolari is one of our best. Fact.

Scolari not really one of our best, he relegated Palmeiras to Série B in 2012...

He is mainly a motivator, which can be good enough in a short tournament like the WC, but which is too little to make him more than just an average manager.

I think Tite (ex-Corinthians) will manage Brazil after the World Cup.

Scolari not really one of our best, he relegated Palmeiras to Série B in 2012...

He is mainly a motivator, which can be good enough in a short tournament like the WC, but which is too little to make him more than just an average manager.

I think Tite (ex-Corinthians) will manage Brazil after the World Cup.

Still won a cup with them that same year. Palmeiras were a **** team too. They were searching for that relagation almost every year.

And Scolari is one of the most victorious managers we had in years. You can`t achieve that much just with motivation.

I forgot Tite. Couldn`t imagine a better coach now. Hope they pick him.

He won the Brazilian Cup and most of his titles were cups, exactly because with decent players and motivation you can overperform.

There were exceptions though, his Palmeiras of the late 1990s and the Brazil of 2002 had superb players.

But cups are the most prestigious.

And you got to be kidding. He is one of the most sucessful coaches in the history of football.

He was not that great in Chelsea, but even with that **** Palmeiras he won a title.

In all of his teams, clubs or nation he was always at the top. Just motivation can`t do that.

I agree he should stop now. But he was one of the best in the history.

Most successful yes, but tactically he is poor, the gap compared to top managers was much smaller 10-15 years ago than nowadays though.

Is too extreme to call him poor.

You could argue that he is too old school, but not poor.

Who was the first team to make **** out of Spain? C`mom. It was a lesson on football.

Yes, it was, but the Confederations Cup is never a good representation of international football as Brazil have learned 3 times in a row now.

That win is meaningless anyway.

You pick his achievements and everything else and charge as exception. Is complicated to talk with you like this.

Look, I'm agreeing with you that he is old for modern football, but call him poor is nonsense. What about Del Bosque then?

Best manager in the world by FIFA and a ridiculous campaign with Spain, which was already the best national team of the world before he took that role, by the way.

He didn`t learned nothing since Confederations Cup?

You pick his achievements and everything else and charge as exception. Is complicated to talk with you like this.

Look, I'm agreeing with you that he is old for modern football, but call him poor is nonsense. What about Del Bosque then?

Best manager in the world by FIFA and a ridiculous campaign with Spain, which was already the best national team of the world before he took that role, by the way.

He didn`t learned nothing since Confederations Cup?

I think there is a disagreement regarding the periods.

In 2014 -> Scolari is a poor manager and outdated

in 1999/2002 -> he is in relative terms much less outdated and poorer, in fact he was peaking back then and football hadn't yet changed around him like it did afterwards.

There is no doubt Scolari was very successful but most of his success was until 2002.

The exceptions I meant referred to some of his teams, like Palmeiras 1998-2000 and Brazil 2002, they were superb teams, I think even other managers could have achieved success with them.

As for Del Bosque and Spain, he might be outdated too, I think Spanish players lost 'hunger' too.

Felipão IS poor and extremely outdated now.

He had a brilliant squad at Palmeiras and won very little silverware, even though he managed to win the greatest of them all, the Copa Libertadores.

Although I like Tite (who is likely to succeed Felipão), I think he will underperform as manager.

The Brazilian FA and the national team and football here in general are pretty rotten, and the Brazilian FA will probably never learn from their mistakes.

Foreigners have their own problems, they are tactically better but they don't know Brazilian domestic game, don't know how to handle Brazilian press, etc...and there might be a language barrier.

Of course, we would need a very savvy and adaptable manager. Not sure who would fit, but it is a healthy thought, considering the Brazilian managers are lame compared, for example,to Argentinean or also the Colombians we saw managing in this World Cup.

We had our share of successful foreign coaches in the past (though not on National Team).

There are many issues, but for me this generation has a very low game IQ. Marcelo is an example. Terrible decision making, most of the times.

Cheers,

Tele

I think having more foreign managers at club level would help the national team in long term, Palmeiras did well hiring Gareca.

This was maddening to watch, but after 30 minutes there is no way you couldn't have felt empathy with the Brazil players. And when the crowd turned onto Fred as their scapegoat -- that must have been a nightmare for him. And all the rest of the players too naturally. It's not as if Germany was poor, but for some reasons this resulted in probably the biggest mental meltdown at this stage ever, the side completely crumbled and fell apart, and after the 0-1 Luiz and Marcello were all over the pitch, inviting space that the likes of Algeria apparently so efficiently denied. (Holland, who are good on the break go through, they might take note).

Any chance this might actually do something good and the corrupt crooks could be thrown out of CBF who have obviously milked (and hurt) Brazilien football for decades? It's not as if current president Marin was free of any charges and accusations currently, and the titles in 1994 and 2002 had reportedly made things easier for Tricky Ricky Teixeira too.

This was maddening to watch, but after 30 minutes there is no way you couldn't have felt empathy with the Brazil players. And when the crowd turned onto Fred as their scapegoat -- that must have been a nightmare for him. And all the rest of the players too naturally.

Any chance this might actually do something good and the corrupt crooks could be thrown out of CBF who have obviously milked (and hurt) Brazilien football for decades? It's not as if current president Marin was free of any charges and accusations currently, and the titles in 1994 and 2002 had reportedly made things easier for Tricky Ricky Teixeira too.

It will make no difference, they will just blame Scolari and say that this is something that won't happen again, that nobody expected, etc...

Brazil FA's official match report says that Germany have a 'powerful, well set up team that was benefited by a completely atypical game', adding that they did play well but that Brazil was unrecognizable.

So no way they will admit or understand the real size of this humiliating defeat.

Regarding Scolari, people almost forgot his time at Gremio. No money and a mix of aged with unknown players. That team was a machine. He won everything besides a lost to Ajax in Tokyo. That Ajax was almost the Netherlands national team at the time and he almost won. Nobody win titles with poor teams or without money. Nonsense. His Portugal was the best Portugal in the history too.

About foreign coaches. South american coaches in general are outdated. At least the ones who are here in South America. Clubs can't manage to bring back foreign coaches from Europe. The f... outdated brazilians are already costing a lot more than the players.

Carlos Queiroz? Please no!

Sorry, but we are Brazil, not Russia or Colombia. If we need a foreign coach, should be a top10 in the world, nothing less.

But we need deep changes in CBF too. Time for some kind of "CPI".

Because of distance, price of tickets and the football played today in Brazil I won't go to stadiums anymore. We need to think our football from zero. I'm not saying this because of the yesterday result.

Even our players think the same and started way before the WC with "Bom Senso FC". But they need some help. CBF is too strong.

A friend of mine cited Simeone yesterday. I think this would be a nice move. Of course he would not accept, but I found it interesting. After 7 goals with Dante running around like a chicken, it reminded me of Miranda as well. I don´t even think he is that good, but at least he seems mentally reasonable.

Don't know about Pekerman and Sampaoli. Chile had a great victory against Spain, but against Australia and Netherlands didn't seem so impressive.

Pekerman too. Colombia was lost against Brazil, the only "good" team they have faced until that match.

And they argentinians!!! This would never happen. Would be ridiculous to let a argentinian be our coach.

We must accept that we are not the best football nation anymore and it will be increasingly difficult to win when we do not have the best players. For 10 years straight we have no longer a dominant brazilian player in the FIFA awards. Not even a second or a third.

If we compare player by player on yesterday match we would realize that Germany have better players in all positions. In 2002 it was completely the opposite. Even our goalkeeper was better.

So, we need to compensate tactically, something we've never done before. For this we need to be on par with what happens in (Europe), and it can only be achieved with a european coach.

Jesus, never thought I would agree with that.

I do think both of them are definitely ahead.

But, then again, there are plenty of South American coaches in Europe. Pellegrini being another example. As ludicrous as it seems that Brazil would be able to lure a high caliber manager from a top team in Europe (many people campaigning for Mourinho - I´d say he would be a disaster for our National Team), I think money is not the main reason, but an understanding that they won´t be allowed to plan as desired due to a combination of politics and lack of structure.

Queiroz is a sphynx to me. He´s been next to a fiery work-oriented manager - and disciplinarian - who is Ferguson, and that would be good, - but I feel his overall results in career to be very mixed.

So, Tite to come, and we to pray.

Cheers,

Tele

Mourinho wouldn't be worse than Scolari because he actually knows about tactics, and is not just a motivator.

The problem perhaps is that he would not know Brazil-based players and would overrate the Euro-based ones.

I won't have this conversation about motivation with you again. Please, change your speech.

And we don't have quality players playing in Brasileirao anyway. If someone play well for a month, next he is sold.

I won't have this conversation about motivation with you again. Please, change your speech.

Not my fault this is all he has left.

And we don't have quality players playing in Brasileirao anyway. If someone play well for a month, next he is sold.

That's not entirely true but even when it does happen, a manager has to know the players, ideally the new manager should also follow youth football, so he could prepare their transition from youth national team to senior national team.

Won't be all that important if he has some support for that, not like Gallo or Roque Junior.

If, with CBF we never know.

Things can change when it's least expected for the silliest reasons.

In any case, I doubt they will hire a foreign manager, Tite is the logical and least controversial option.

Neymar's agent Wagner Ribeiro has attacked Scolari, he said:

"One – being Portugal coach and winning nothing

"Two – going to Chelsea and being sacked the following day.

"Three – going to coach in Uzbekistan.

"Four – returning to Brazil, taking over a big team [Palmeiras] and getting them relegated to the second division.

"Five – leaving the club 56 days before the end of the Brasileirão [season] to 'escape' relegation.

"Six – being an old jerk, arrogant, repulsive, conceited and ridiculous," he finished in brutal fashion.

Just because of Lucas. That boy was one right decision. So dumb in the pitch.

Yes, Lucas Moura is clueless on the pitch, he has a lot of speed but no tactical awareness and his finishing is awful.

Lucas Moura is such a disappointment nowadays. I'm glad he peaked in São Paulo, but I expect him to improve in the next year.

I agree that Felipão is outdated, we have seen this a lot here in Brazil, in our national league. Managers who used to be the best managers are clearly poor nowadays. But I reckon that the fact they were at the top is, sometimes, the reason for them having not learned.

Other problem is that many players do not understand tactics at all. Some of them should receive only basic instructions, otherwise nothing will be understood.

Has anyone asked Scolari whether the players followed the agreed gameplan? Let's say, before it was 0-2. I find it hard to believe that he would "organize" his defense like that against the Germans, no matter how old and outdated he may be.

Lucas Moura is such a disappointment nowadays. I'm glad he peaked in São Paulo, but I expect him to improve in the next year.

I agree that Felipão is outdated, we have seen this a lot here in Brazil, in our national league. Managers who used to be the best managers are clearly poor nowadays. But I reckon that the fact they were at the top is, sometimes, the reason for them having not learned.

Other problem is that many players do not understand tactics at all. Some of them should receive only basic instructions, otherwise nothing will be understood.

And people say players learn tactics in Europe...whenever they return to Brazilian football after many years in Europe they often look as clueless as when they left.

Has anyone asked Scolari whether the players followed the agreed gameplan? Let's say, before it was 0-2. I find it hard to believe that he would "organize" his defense like that against the Germans, no matter how old and outdated he may be.

He didn't say anything because he doesn't admit there was anything wrong with Brazil's performance, despite saying he assumes the responsibility for the defeat. But I think the team were a bit nervous and overeager in the first 10-15 minutes (would explain the poor positioning) and then when Germany scored the second goal, they just fell apart.

I had seen on twitter, I don't think a match has ever caused so many jokes and memes, Brazilians coming up with lots too.

Hitler talking about Brazil's 1-7 defeat to Germany:

[video=youtube_share;sQDwItc4nDw]

The video is with Portuguese subtitles, Hitler wanted Brazil to beat Germany only so that Brazil would then be crushed by Argentina in the final, but Brazil lacked competence to beat Germany despite the Germans letting them win and ended up crushed.

The best part though is that the video criticizes current Brazilian president Dilma Rousseff and politicians in general.

Another example is Luxemburgo. One of the most successful coaches in the brazilian football, went to the national team, was fired, managed to rebuild himself, went to Real Madrid, and then it was just "down the hill". And it was always known by his "tactical knowledge", though I think his titles were based most on the bank balance of his clubs. Always had great players at his disposal. Now he can't get a decent job anywhere, just making s....

About brazilian players not understanding tactics, this is related to our coaches who prefer strong and untalented over intelligent and more skilled players.

When you hear some interviews with brazilian players is easy to realize that most of them don't even know how they are winning or losing matches. They can't assimilate what happens in the game.

Brazil 'sold' the World Cup in order to win the Olympics in 2016 and the 2018 World Cup, according to this nonsensical conspiracy theory:

"Fato comprovado:

O Brasil VENDEU a copa do mundo para a FIFA. Os jogadores titulares brasileiros foram avisados, às 13:00 do dia 08 de Julho (dia da semifinal), em uma reunião envolvendo o Sr. José Maria Marin (na única vez que o presidente da CBF compareceu a uma preleção da seleção), o Técnico Luiz Felipe Scolari, o Sr. Marco Polo Del Nero (Presidente Eleito da CBF), e o Sr. Ronald Rhovald, representante da patrocinadora Nike. Os jogadores reservas permaneceram em isolamento, em seus quartos ou no lobby do hotel.

A princípio muito contrariados, os jogadores se recusaram a trocar a vaga na final pelo titulo Olímpico em 2016 (único torneio que o Brasil ainda não venceu) e a promessa de uma nova Copa até 2030 no Brasil. A aceitação veio através do pagamento total dos prêmios, US$700.000,00 para cada jogador, mais um bônus de US$400.000,00 para todos os jogadores e integrantes da comissão, através da empresa Nike.

Além disso, os jogadores que aceitarem o contrato com a empresa Nike nos próximos 4 anos terão as mesmas bases de prêmios que os jogadores de elite da empresa, como Ibrahimovic, Wayne Rooney, Andrés Iniesta e Frank Ribery.

Mesmo assim, David Luiz se recusou a jogar, mas mudou de opinião em seguida, depois de uma longa reunião com Carlos Alberto Parreira e Flávio Murtosa, aonde receberam uma ligação de um representante da Nike que ameaçou retirar seu patrocínio recém-renovado e um dos maiores da empresa.

Assim, combinou-se que o Brasil seria derrotado durante a prorrogação, porém a apatia que se abateu sobre os jogadores titulares fez com que a Alemanha, que absolutamente não participou desta negociação, marcasse, em duas falhas simples do time brasileiro, os primeiros gols.

O Sr. Joseph Blatter, presidente da FIFA, cidadão franco-suíço, aplaudiu a colaboração da equipe brasileira, uma vez que o campeonato mundial não é vencido pela Alemanha desde 1990 e o mesmo é tratado como o complemento ideal para confirmar a soberania do país na Europa como potência econômica e esportiva, além de ser a única federação que fazia oposição a presidência do Sr Blatter.

Garantiu, também, ao Sr. José Maria Marin, através de seu sucessor, Marco Polo Del Nero e do Secretário Geral da FIFA, Sr Jeromé Valcke, que o Brasil teria seu caminho facilitado para o hexacampeonato de 2018.

Gunther Schweitzer

Diretor de Jornalismo dos Canais ESPN"

The idea was for Brazil to lose in extra time but the players were so apathetic that Germany ended up scoring far more goals, as Germany were not aware of the agreement involving Brazil, FIFA and Nike.

Another example is Luxemburgo. One of the most successful coaches in the brazilian football, went to the national team, was fired, managed to rebuild himself, went to Real Madrid, and then it was just "down the hill". And it was always known by his "tactical knowledge", though I think his titles were based most on the bank balance of his clubs. Always had great players at his disposal. Now he can't get a decent job anywhere, just making s....

About brazilian players not understanding tactics, this is related to our coaches who prefer strong and untalented over intelligent and more skilled players.

When you hear some interviews with brazilian players is easy to realize that most of them don't even know how they are winning or losing matches. They can't assimilate what happens in the game.

I was thinking of him when I wrote, was that so obvious. :D

Brazil 'sold' the World Cup in order to win the Olympics in 2016 and the 2018 World Cup, according to this nonsensical conspiracy theory:

The idea was for Brazil to lose in extra time but the players were so apathetic that Germany ended up scoring far more goals, as Germany were not aware of the agreement involving Brazil, FIFA and Nike.

What a shame. Some people should just accept that Brazil lost because Brazil is not a good team, full of apathetic players, and very emotional with the typical flop that our teams present every now and then in international competitions.

Everytime Brazil lose, someone think they lost on purpose, and not because they deserved it. In the Olympics that will happen a lot, Brazilians cannot cope with their emotions in sports.

Indeed, small pressure and the players fall apart, used to happen a lot with women's volleyball, for example.

And as you said, happens all the time at club level. Losing is often almost a relief for the players here.

Maybe having more foreign players will help Brazilian clubs handle this problem though.

I don't know if at a senior level, a player would learn something like that. It is part of a person's character/personality, it should be taught, or experienced earlier.

In the club level, it would be helpful, but not so effective for the national team though.

Archived