How to Improve Youth Category Rating in England?

I started a game managing Norwich City. They start with a Category 1 youth rating, but at the end of the first season it got downgraded to Category 2. I got a message about it and the option to talk to the board and they agreed to my request to upgrade. At the same I also got another message about my training facilities and I talked to the board about that as well and got them to agree to upgrade them as well. Work started almost immediately on the Training Facilities in May and was finished six months later. When I got my youth intake in the second season and nothing had happened I again asked the board about the Youth upgrade and they again agreed.

I'm now playing my friendlies at the start of the third season and I still have Category 2 youth rating and I've had no news about anything happening to upgrade my youth facilities or rating and there is no indication anything is planned either. How the hell do I get back a Category 1 rating?

It's a bit frustrating that you don't get proper feedback from the game about this.

I'm not entirely sure what causes it, but speaking from my own experiences it seems to be tied to the quality of the youth facilities. With my Forest Green side, I asked year after year to go up to the next level and they agreed each time, but it didn't happen. That is until I became a rich premier league club and sunk a lot of money into upgrading the facilities. So that might be why.

If it's upgraded to next level that will happen in the break between seasons, so I guess you have to ask again and wait until next season to see if it works.

I may be wrong on this, but I believe the rules around categories has to do with facilities AND staff requirements. So the club may have sorted the facilities side, but if you check your staff recommendations (the boardroom area), you might need to hire more youth coaches or something?

After an extremely flukey second season where I finished seventh, despite playing basically an U21 team for the last fifteen to twenty games, the club is now expected to be a top half of the Premier League club. That meant I got the option to upgrade the recuitment network so that might have some effect but I'll have to play a whole season to find out and I doubt I'll manage that before a new patch comes out and I start a new save.

I did sack virtually all the staff when I started the save. I sacked all the U18 coaching staff except one who I promoted from U18 GK coach to GK coach. I got in what I think is a slightly better Head of Youth (why does FMC show a star rating telling you how good a HoYD is but you have to guess in the full game?), a better U18 manager and a better U18 coach. So I technically only have three out of nine (I still have the starting U18 physio) U18 positions filled.

I just checked the other clubs in the Premier League and it seems Fulham, Hull, Liverpool, Nottingham Forest, Stoke, Wolves all have Category 2 (or in Forests case Category 3) ratings. Aston Villa, Reading and Sunderland have Category 1 in the Championship. Middlesborough have Category 1 in League One and they have less staff but better youth facilities, coaching and network then I do.

If you need more staff for a certain category you will be prompted to hire more. A message will come through saying you need a minimum of this and that. Not sure what changes the category either but in my Cambridge save I have had it increased and it has since dropped back to a 3.

I can only assume I need to improve my youth facilities as they are only average. I have excellent training, exceptional junior coaching and established youth recruitment.

So the mistake I made was asking, twice, to upgrade the Category when that was impossible without first upgrading the Youth Facilities, Junior Coaching, and/or Youth Network? So I've now upgraded the Coaching, and Network and got an upgrade to the Facilities approved and I might be able to get back Category 1 in two years time, four years after losing it. If I keep up the save and don't get sacked due to ridiculous new expectations.

It's easier to just use my £34m transfer budget to buy youngsters. First stop for the scouts is Middlesbrough :D.

Archived