How to stop opposition wingers that come inside?

May seem like I wanted say inside forwards, but no, I' talking wingers that come inside. That's just destroying my team. And it's being very hard for me to counter that. I've tried used limited defenders, full backs pressing more, full backs not pressing, deeper defensive line, etc... And I have good full backs, Siqueira and Corchia. If I can I'll upload the PKM of the last this happened. Watching the game again I think that their superiority in the midfield may have helped make this worse, but still, their wingers, mainly the right one was playing like my full back wasn't even there. My tactic is this:

vr7l.jpg

PKM: http://uploaded.net/file/ncjivcne

Possible solutions might include removing your play wider TI so your FBs sit closer to the DCs. You could also give the FB the PI to sit narrower with the same effect.

Both of these will clog up the centre a bit better and so might 'persuade' their winger to go on the outside.

Showing him onto his 'outside' foot in Opposition Instructions will also help

Might be mistaken but play wider is (or atleast used to be) 'with ball' instruction, so that shouldn't have that big of an impact when defending. But I'd definately try the show onto 'wide' foot instruction.

-SnUrF

Are you having trouble with the winger getting free and shooting and scoring or are you having trouble with free unmarked runners from deep that he passes to?

Your DM might be having too much area to cover, especially on the right with your attacking WM and AP who may not be giving enough defensive cover to the right. Try unstacking your DM and AP and perhaps consider using a DLP instead of a AP giving the attack duty to one of your strikers. That way, your DLP will be in charge of defensive cover for one side of the pitch and your DM the other side.

Hi.

Me too having a problem like what the OP has.

I have the same tactic but different instructions to players and when I face opponents using 4-2-3-1 tactics, their wingers couldn't stop penetrating and terrorising my defense.

gbbt.png

Anyone here could tell me what should I do and what can I do to stop the opposition wingers in a 4-2-3-1 tactics?

So, I made changes to WB(S) and now I have to deal their lone striker; they are doing their "magic" stuffs scoring and assisting in every possible way.

Anyways to stop their strikers?

I have been replaying with Everton (for testing purposes, they are using 4-2-3-1) and results I got was not good; mostly draws.

would be appreciate if anyone can give me some thoughts and ideas about my defense.

Yes, I've given PI's to show into week foot, but like I said, they are wingers that just exploit the space and come inside (so, it's a right foot player on the right wing). When I face natural inside forwards i tend to be ok.

Mimeaphone - well, both. If you watch the PKM of that game you can see that either he has a lot of space or exploits the back of the defense. And on that game I had taken the push higher up instruction (and set my AP to support) so that I didn't conceded that space but it didn't worked that well. And yes, i agree that only having a player suporting the defense may not be enough, but this tactic has been working quite well against superior numbers on the midfield as if I feel the team is having an hard time I just instruct my DLF to man mark one of their midfielders. Althought in that game, as I said, it may have been the main problem as my DLF was man marking their defensive midfielder and he wasn't that much of a treat, I should have marked one of their central midfielders. And this is a tactic where I'm trying to recreate a real life tactic so giving up of one of my 2 forwards isn't really an option (just because of that). But thanks for the advice

What kinds of goals is the striker scoring, and who is supplying him the ball?

through headers, long shots (romelu lukaku).

their CM/AM and sometimes wingers supplying him (in my testings)..

I'm playing at Goodison Park, and they are in 4th position.

do u think I need to tweak my strikers/midfields/wingers a bit so that my tactics and intructions is more effective against 4-2-3-1?

This seems to be a bit of an ME weakness. Wingers are major scoring threats because fullbacks seem to have trouble defending diagonal runs in behind, and wingers generally line up outside the fullbacks and are in good position to take advantage. I've found my natural wingers get a lot more chances than my natural IFs. Some of this could be down to my 4-2-3-1 setup, but I'm considering playing 100% wingers (regardless of footedness) because of it.

Not too sure what you could do to stop it. Maybe tight marking or specific marking on wingers?

Well, it ended up being a good season. Won the 1st league tittle and went to the Champions League Final, losing to Real Madrid after an own goal. And we managed to stop natural inside forwards like it was nothing. We played against Porto, Bayern, Arsenal, Madrid, etc... and their wider players weren't really a treat, so I really think you're right, wingers are better in this FM edition. On the other hand I haven't managed to get an IF to perform well, so I don't really like them. But I'm no tactic master either so

I've used the one I put up. The only changes were taking the push higher up against stronger teams and set my AP to support sometimes. This was something based on Benfica 2009/10 tactic and it ended up being a sucefull second season (after almost giving up in the end of the 1st xD). I've tried used it with other teams but it doesn't work so well, the quality of the squad was really important to make this work, so it isn't that much of a good tactic. And I still want to be able to use IF so I'll be working on that. Any suggestions?

Archived