FC St. Pauli - An Attempt at a Successful Career!

raymondafc

So here it goes. I have had a terrible time getting into a save on FM for a couple of years now so I decided to return to the club where I had my most enjoyable save in recent years.

FC St. Pauli are based in the city of Hamburg & play in the German 2. Liga. Their fierce rivals are HSV & Altona 93 (both local) and their other rivals are Rostock (historic) and Lubeck (local). They play at the 29063 capacity Millerntor-Stadion, of which 11792 are seated.

Predicted finish is 8th and the Board expect top half and have given me a Wage Budget of £210k and a transfer budget of £625k.

I have loaded Germany to 3. Liga plus the top divisions of England, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Holland & Russia on View-Only.

I don't have any particular aims or goals other than to try and have some fun and maybe win a few trophies along the way!

Traditionally however, I suck at any club other than Arsenal on FM so lets see how we go!

Squad:

2014-01-25_00004_zps76a067ab.jpg

Friendly Fixtures:

2014-01-25_00006_zps678cb2fd.jpg

Transfers:

2014-01-25_00001_zps6a9afa84.jpg

Tactic:

2014-01-25_00005_zpsc87a09f2.jpg

2014-01-25_00008_zps81daf724.jpg

Not the best start! Although to be fair, we bossed Sandhausen in every department yet somehow got completely smashed. They had 6 attempts on target!

However, in my home debut, we did exactly the same to Koln as they dominated the game from the start, but this time it was our turn to get lucky!

Cracking club to manage, really want to go one of their games one day (might even see if I can do it this year)

They are indeed! Easily my best ever save when the German leagues changed from Regional to 3. Liga in the second season (FM08?) Interestingly, I spent 5 years getting them to the Bundesliga and then around 10 years in the Bundesliga. Never qualified for Europe lol! I would love to see them play one day, I was actually checking out their ticket prices just the other day!

After a couple days off due to a migraine among other things I'm back in the hotseat at the Millerntor! I also took the time to see if I could rectify my tactics as we had started so poorly. I read the ideas put forward in the Tactics Forum by wwfan and had a look at the thread regarding combinations and revamped my tactics somewhat. I'm still not sure on a couple of parts but its looking better.

New formation:

2014-01-29_00001_zps51f97da6.jpg

September started badly with the defeat to lower division opposition on penalties in the cup and then we were comprehensively beaten in Dusseldorf. It was then I decided to perform some surgery and although we lost at home to 1860, it was a much better performance which was followed by 2 victories to end the month.

2014-01-29_00003_zps5643a889.jpg

So, after 6 games we sit in a comfortable position:

2014-01-29_00004_zpsb5098943.jpg

It's still early days with the new tactics but hopefully there is progress to be made!

September update will come tomorrow, but I just have a mini update! Regensburg, the 3rd division side who knocked us out of the cup on penalties, have been at it again, this time dispatching Hertha Berlin 2-0 in round 2.

Looks like we did well to take them to penalties :D

OK, so rather than doing monthly updates, I've decided to do more like half-season updates unless anything major happens in between. Following on from my previous update where I had changed my tactics, we have continued to struggle to the point where I have been dragged in by the board on 2 occasions to explain the previous result. Ironically after both meetings I went on to comfortably win the next game which saved my job on both occasions! So after a frustratingly inconsistent first half of the season, here is how the league looks:

2014-01-31_00002_zps3e86ab3f.jpg

Our inconsistent form:

2014-01-31_00001_zpsd38a767b.jpg

We head into the winter break with my job hanging in the balance. I've arranged lots of friendlies against non-league opposition in an attempt to raise morale ahead of the second half of the season plus a money spinner against Stuttgart for good measure!

Onwards and (hopefully) upwards!

The first season has come to an end, I'll update on how the second half of the season went for St. Pauli later today, for now though this is how things went in the major European Leagues in 2013-14:

ENGLAND

1: Man City 2: Man Utd 3: Arsenal 4: Liverpool. FA Cup: Man Utd CoC: Chelsea

FRANCE

1: PSG 2: Monaco 3: Lyon 4: Bordeaux. Cup: PSG League Cup: Rennais

GERMANY

1: Dortmund 2: Bayern 3: Schalke 4: Stuttgart. Cup: Leverkusen

HOLLAND

1: PSV 2: Vitesse 3: AZ 4: Ajax. Cup: PSV

ITALY

1:Juventus 2: AC Milan 3: Napoli. 4: Fiorentina. Cup: Juventus

PORTUGAL

1: Benfica 2: Porto 3: Braga 4: Sporting. Cup: Porto League Cup: Sporting

RUSSIA

1: CSKA 2: Rubin 3: Dinamo 4: Zenit. Cup: Rubin

SPAIN

1: R. Madrid 2: A. Madrid 3: Barcelona 4: Granada. Cup: Betis.

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

PSG 0-0 MAN CITY (PSG won on penalties)

EUROPA LEAGUE

BAYERN 0-0 NAPOLI (Bayern won on penalties)

SUPER CUP

BAYERN 2-3 CHELSEA

As promised, here is the end of season update! Unfortunately there isn't actually much to report. A decent second half of the season saw us consolidate more than anything else, we were playing well but the final 5 games of the season saw us finish up in mid table mediocrity:

2014-02-08_00002_zps791ccf0c.jpg

2014-02-08_00001_zps7d4cfdbb.jpg

Having been predicted to finish 8th I suppose I can't complain too much but I was pleased that we found some form which stands us in good stead for next season. A lot of players and staff will be leaving in the Summer as I'm not renewing their contracts - I want to start putting my own stamp on this team and build a side around this chap:

2014-02-08_00003_zpsb43d65db.jpg

He was easily my player of the season and if I can hold onto him he will be the corner stone of my side for a few years yet.

One thing that made me laugh though was that I was hauled in by the board after the season had finished to explain the teams poor performance and was told that I had a month to improve results :lol: I'm sure I can do that from the beach Mr Chairman!

Finally, club elections are in November of this season so lets hope I'm doing well in case there is a new Chairman around!

All Pre-Season info will be update as soon as I have something to report :cool:

WORLD CUP 2014

Final: Italy 3-1 Argentina

Germany lost out in the Quarter Final, going down 1-0 to the Argies whilst England only made Round 2 where they were dumped out 2-1 by eventual champions Italy.

Archived