[FM14] The Panthers Will Rise Again!

eyalgolan

2ik2xjk.png

Boavista Futebol Clube

commonly known as Boavista, is a Portuguese sports club from the city of Porto. Founded on 1 August 1903, it is one of the oldest clubs in the country, and currently plays in the third division. It grew to become Porto's second greatest club – behind Porto — with sections dedicated to several sports including football, chess, gymnastics, bicycle racing and futsal, among others, the most notable being the football section with their trademark chequered white and black shirts.

One of the most prominent clubs in Portuguese football, with 9 main national titles won (1 Championship, 5 Cups of Portugal, 3 Supercups of Portugal, all during the Loureiro's family years) Boavista spent 39 consecutive seasons in the Primeira Liga (50 in total), winning in 2001, being together with Belenenses, the only team outside the big three to win the Portuguese Championship. It is also the most successful Portuguese club after the big three. Its stadium, Estádio do Bessa, was built in 1973, although football has been played there at the former 'Campo do Bessa' since the 1910s, and was revamped for use in Euro 2004. [Wikipedia]

13 seasons after their historic Primeira Liga championship campaign, Boavista are now a shadow of their former self, competing in the National Championship, Portugal third tier.

The media tips us for winning the league and the board expect promotion- seems fair but it will not be a straight-forward test considering the fact that the club is largely in debt and can't afford Scouts and Physios, let alone new players. Hope to make it through this year and boost our finance on the next.

2ik2xjk.png

Boavista 2013-14 Season Preview

League- Portuguese National Championship C

Media Prediction- 1st

Squad Analysis:

The squad I've inherited is fairly large, and most of the quality is in the age. I have veteran Center-back due Ricardo Silva (39) and Frechaut (35). Both are quality but starting to decline, something I need to adjust to in the near future. Also, my best striker is probably 38 years old Senegalese Fary, who looks like in can bag a few goals in, but it will be his last season. My start in the center of the pitch is 34 years old Ricardo Sousa, another top-notch player for this division, but someone who needs replacement sooner rather than later.

Not all quality players are old though. I have midfielder Pedro Navas set to anchor my midfield for future years and and Joao Beirao set to replace Fary should a massive drop of form comes.

The squad really lacks in wingers, so for me, 4-1-2-1-2 is the way to go.

Preseason Friendlies:

2vrxvsy.png

So the first Preseason as the manager of Boavista had gone buy without many surprising results. Destroyed by bigger teams and destroyed smaller teams. Overall I think it was decent enough.

Transfer Window:

34q67nt.png

So in my first post I've mentioned Boavista starts with a large debt and as such, I have no money to spent on incoming transfers of both players and staff, which made things difficult at start, but after releasing a few players and receiving a surprising rejuvenation of transfer budget (it seems small but it was enough), I was able to add not only important staff members, but to sign a player as well! Talented young midfielder Cepeda was signed on a free to start for my team, and scouts suggest he could go on to become a decent Premier League player in the future. He was chased by club from the first division such as European League's Estoril, but showed he had great taste by joining Boavista.

On the departed list, not much to say. Probably the biggest name to have departed is Wellington, but neither of them was a first teamer. Release to increase the wage budget.

2ik2xjk.png

August-September Review:

11gn9xs.png

Well, it's nothing less than disappointing. Very shaky run of form see us start the league with 2 wins and 3 losses out of 5. It's even more disheartening that we actually outplayed our opponents most of the times, with the exception of the season opener. It was a disaster, our 4-1-2-1-2 formation was clearly not working. Switching to a 4-2-1-2-1 seems to work a lot more. Another thing that hindered us at start was an injury crisis on both Fullback positions, but it worked for the best eventually- see later on...

There were positives, though. We are playing well, better than most of our opponents as I mentioned earlier. Our line is led by fantastic striker Bobo who scored 8 in 6, including a remarkable hattrick after less than 18 minutes. Also, replacement Fullback Hugo Costa is currently leading our assist chart with 4.

2m4og8g.png

Taca de Portugal: Won against Loures and now facing Felgueras, from the National B division.

Transfer Update: Right before the end of the transfer window, I was very happy to bring my second signing Jose Guedes. The 16 years old is already good enough for first team and should become a rock in our defense in the future. Great option to replace our ageing Centerbacks. To finance his arriving, some fringe players have left on a free.

Archived