FMO Help Thread - Ask All Your Questions In Here!!!!

Andy H

Hey guys, i've been trying to set up an online game with a mate for a while now and we just can't get it working.

I've followed the instructions you have on here to a tee, but always come unstuck at one particular part.

Once i've set up the game and my mate tries to join he enters in my IP. What should happen is he goes into the "game status" screen and can then create a profile. What does happen though is the ball comes on the mouse (as if it's loading) and it just stayes like that, untill eventually he quits.

We've tried it both ways (such as him creating the game and me trying to join) but the same thing happens. By the way we use Hamachi and have tried turning all firewalls off etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

(Im sorry Im not great with computer related stuff, and if there is any information that would help to answer my problem please let me know. I will try and find it.)

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by saints ledgend:

Salman...

Most likely your on different pathches </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi mate,

No, we are definately on the same patch. We both have not downloaded any patches. And we both have version 8.0 But it still does not work, he says that he does see me join the game in his game status but that only happens for a split second and then I get disconnected. However, I just continue to see the ball curson on my screen.

And we definately have fast computers and broad-band internet connections. So that is also not a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by azaking:

HELP I Now that above it this is proberly been answered but i seem not to find it some how

my friend cant rejoin my game. he logs in as new client but cant rejoin his arsenal team.

How can he do it???? IM CONFUSED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

when he joins click on not connected next to his name

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDXCougar8173:

the simple solution is to get a new computer as its your pc that does all the processing as when i run the gume as server my 4 processors dont go higher than 5% </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the computer that is running as server have at least triple the specs of whats is required under "Recommanded Specs"

so what now?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sherica-:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDXCougar8173:

the simple solution is to get a new computer as its your pc that does all the processing as when i run the gume as server my 4 processors dont go higher than 5% </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the computer that is running as server have at least triple the specs of whats is required under "Recommanded Specs"

so what now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ignore him Sherica he's just being an ignorant sod, in all seriousness the game clearly has an issue with certain pc setups, without being mega technical & having various setups on a personal level trying to sort a solution out is close to impossible.

This is more a technical issue within the game rather then an online specific problem because this forum is just viewed by people who can try to help with setting routers up etc & general online play itself.

Good luck with that, if you do get any joy from sigames directly let us know icon14.gif

A friend of mine and I play online regularly, but besides that we also play on the same PC with two different teams at times. The problem is that I cannot combine both in one game, so we're forced to start one game online and one game on the same PC. Let me explain.

I started a network game, he joined and we played. After a couple of days we played at my home, joining is as in any online game, just click to 'log in'. Of course it isn't actual 'logging in' since we're playing on the same PC. The problem is that after playing he cannot 'log out' again, the team he's managing isn't saying 'not connected'. So when we try to play online again, with the same save, he either has to choose another team or I have to sack him and he has to rechoose the team he was managing. So is there a way to play a game over the network at times and on the same PC at times?

There's also lag when he's watching my games over network. If he isn't watching while I'm playing everything is fine, this happens only when playing a match.

We're both using FM8.0.1

A single game with always be smooth, but the second you start playing online you should expect some lag.

you should turn off all graphics within the game this will help a bit, ie face packs logos etc etc.

and best not to be downloading while playing either.

when your mate finishes the session, tell him to go on holiday and tick the disconnect box.

and then it will say 'not connected'

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mirto:

A friend of mine and I play online regularly, but besides that we also play on the same PC with two different teams at times. The problem is that I cannot combine both in one game, so we're forced to start one game online and one game on the same PC. Let me explain.

I started a network game, he joined and we played. After a couple of days we played at my home, joining is as in any online game, just click to 'log in'. Of course it isn't actual 'logging in' since we're playing on the same PC. The problem is that after playing he cannot 'log out' again, the team he's managing isn't saying 'not connected'. So when we try to play online again, with the same save, he either has to choose another team or I have to sack him and he has to rechoose the team he was managing. So is there a way to play a game over the network at times and on the same PC at times?

There's also lag when he's watching my games over network. If he isn't watching while I'm playing everything is fine, this happens only when playing a match.

We're both using FM8.0.1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First part is easy, to disconnect a manager from a team go on holiday option and press the disconnect from network client button, likethis

Watching other people matches can cause lag so it best not to do this, beside your mainly play at the same time anyway so whats the point.

Remember to turn off all pictures, logos etc etc as this will improve lag.

My friend and I are a playing a network game, he can connect to my computer fine. I've unblocked the ports, and am now using hamachi. The problem is that he is suffering major lag and being kicked out regularly. He hasnt got any face packs and it runs fine offline. Even things like looking at a player can take 20-60 seconds. matches take a good 10-20 minutes. Any ideas anyone?

FM07 was fine btw.

Thanks in advance.

hi there, i'm trying to setup fm2008 online for the first time. i've read through the threads and forwarded ports but i'm still getting the cannot connect to server message.

me(host)

Operating system? OSX 10.5.1

Service packs installed?

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? homehub

Anti virus software? none

Firewall software? disabled

friend

Operating system? xp

Service packs installed? sp2

Net connection? 16mb

ISP? ntl/virgin

Router involved? netgear

i followed the instructions at portforward.com and have read in the forum that some people have not forwarded the ports to there router ip address. i'm not sure how to check that i've done this.

would be really grateful is someone could help me out with this. its the 3rd night i've tried to get it going.

cheers

forgot to add this stuff:

me(host)

Operating system? Vista

Service packs installed?

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? homehub

friend

Operating system? xp

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? ntl/virgin

Router involved? modem

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

bah I knew I shouldn't have made that coffee while I was doing the reply icon_smile.gif

Stabwest just too quick icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah misses is always moaning about that to icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucaski:

hi there, i'm trying to setup fm2008 online for the first time. i've read through the threads and forwarded ports but i'm still getting the cannot connect to server message.

me(host)

Service packs installed?

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? homehub

friend

Operating system? xp

Net connection? 16mb

ISP? ntl/virgin

Router involved? netgear

i followed the instructions at portforward.com and have read in the forum that some people have not forwarded the ports to there router ip address. i'm not sure how to check that i've done this.

would be really grateful is someone could help me out with this. its the 3rd night i've tried to get it going.

cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you go to the game status screen it tell s you your full IP there. The ports should be forwarded for the first part of the IP. So it should be along the lines of 192.168.0.x.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dregganor:

I assume the answer is yes, just making sure though. Are FM and WWSM compatible online? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

correct icon14.gif

Lucaski - You go into your router settings and you should have something like a services menu and a firewall rules you go to them and find out what IP you have forwarded your ports for.

Dregganor - Yeah I believe it's the same game just different names.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucaski:

thanks for your response. in the game status screen ive got 192.168.1.x/followed by my ip. how do i know if the ports are forwarded to the first part. sorry if i'm being slow </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your mate will be able to join then.

take your time reading the forwardports page for your router, it will just click and bang everything will fall into place.

i've gone into my homehub advanced settings and then to 'application sharing' as said by forwardport.com, i cant see any mention as to what ip i have forwarded ports to. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having just read about how you forward ports for a BThomehub I assume your internal IP is the IP given in the guide for the BThomehub guide to forwarding ports on portforward.com?

at the beginning of the guide on portforward.com it says the default ip of my router is 192.168.1.254. when i plug this into a browser i can then go into my router's advanced settings. i then go in to application sharing and after i have forwarded the ports i get something like:

TCP port range 10093-10094 translate to 10093-10094 trigger protocol - trigger port -

UDP port range 10093-10094 translate to 10093-10094 trigger protocol - trigger port -

is that right?

at the beginning of the guide on portforward.com it says the default ip of my router is 192.168.1.254. when i plug this into a browser i can then go into my router's advanced settings. i then go in to application sharing and after i have forwarded the ports i get something like:

TCP port range 10093-10094 translate to 10093-10094 trigger protocol - trigger port -

UDP port range 10093-10094 translate to 10093-10094 trigger protocol - trigger port -

is that right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I think so. Did you select a computer in the device box to choose the computer to forward the ports to and also click add to enable it?

BT homehub is so different to the netgear set up!

i've just tried going through the portforward.com instructions again, at the very end it says:

"Use the Device box to choose a computer to forward ports to. This box contains a list of computer names that are visible on your network."

At this point i have chosen my computer from the list, is this right or should i put in the IP of my router.

thats what i did the first time, have done the same again. my mate's not about at the moment so i can't test it with him.

just want to check that ive done everything else right:

i'm hosting so i've checked 'run as server'.

we're both running 8.0.1

both firewalls off

i'm giving him the second part of my ip address for him to try and join.

am i right in believing that he does not have to forward the ports on his router, only me as i am hosting

thats what i did the first time, have done the same again. my mate's not about at the moment so i can't test it with him.

just want to check that ive done everything else right:

i'm hosting so i've checked 'run as server'.

we're both running 8.0.1

both firewalls off

i'm giving him the second part of my ip address for him to try and join.

am i right in believing that he does not have to forward the ports on his router, only me as i am hosting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to all that mate. If you want I will try and join to test your settings.

Oh and make sure the game status IP matches your default IP you forwarded the ports to.

that would be brilliant. i think i may have sussed it too. when i was picking the device to forward ports to i chose my computer name from the list. upon closer inspection the ip on that does not match the one of the actual computer i'm on so hopefully now it works.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dunga99:

Remember to turn off all pictures, logos etc etc as this will improve lag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking about this and I don't see the logic behind it. I always thought both PC's loaded the graphics seperately, so disabling the logos and such on the server shouldn't have any effect on lag. Am I wrong? Is everything loaded and uploaded from the server?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Operating system? Windows XP Professional

Service packs installed? Service pack 2

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? Virgin Media

Router involved? Zoom X6 adsl wireless router

Anti virus software? AVG

Firewall software? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> non

Having real problems setting up a network game. It lets me see the host in the load game menu but just never loads.

me(host)

Service packs installed?

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? homehub

friend

Operating system? xp

Net connection? 16mb

ISP? ntl/virgin

Router involved? netgear

cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you`re hosting then you wont get the get cannot connect to server message only players trying to connect get that message

what ip address did you forward the ports to as when i did mine the 2nd ip in game was ending .0.2 so forwarded the ports to the same ip

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dregganor:

I assume the answer is yes, just making sure though. Are FM and WWSM compatible online? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FM is packaged for those of us who know football as football and wsm is for those of us in the US and canada where football is known as soccer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mirto:

Remember to turn off all pictures, logos etc etc as this will improve lag. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been thinking about this and I don't see the logic behind it. I always thought both PC's loaded the graphics seperately, so disabling the logos and such on the server shouldn't have any effect on lag. Am I wrong? Is everything loaded and uploaded from the server? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The host pc does all the processing the pc`s that are connected just run there own game so if you have pictures and all the other stuff enabled it puts more strain on the host pc and makes it work harder which causes lag

Hi,

Me and a few friends were attempting to start a new online game together, there are no problems for any of us to connect individually to the host, however, as two of my friends are brothers and living in the same residence, they are sharing a connection. It seemed as though only one of them would be able to connect at a time.

My question is, is there any way to allow both of them to connect?

Thanks in advance.

goto holiday options and check the box that says use current tactic and also the current team selection </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you very much RDXCougar8173 icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My friend and I are a playing a network game, he can connect to my computer fine. I've unblocked the ports, and am now using hamachi. The problem is that he is suffering major lag and being kicked out regularly. He hasnt got any face packs and it runs fine offline. Even things like looking at a player can take 20-60 seconds. matches take a good 10-20 minutes. Any ideas anyone?

FM07 was fine btw.

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey guys can anyone help me with the above?

hi again, i thought i had everything sorted the other night. i was testing it with Andy and he could join the game i hosted fine. now my mate has tried to join my game and he is getting the unable to connect message.

one thing i've noticed is that on my game status screen i now only have 1 IP address, the first one (for my router i think) is no longer there.

any ideas?

hi again, i thought i had everything sorted the other night. i was testing it with Andy and he could join the game i hosted fine. now my mate has tried to join my game and he is getting the unable to connect message.

one thing i've noticed is that on my game status screen i now only have 1 IP address, the first one (for my router i think) is no longer there.

any ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try rebooting your router to see if that helps. Are you still playing on the computer you used when I tested your connection the other night?

Due to the usual smart alec answer from moderators (I feel like a little boy being told off, why not just be polite?), I've reposted this here:

Hi

I'm a very experienced FM player so please, sensible answers only. And before anybody asks, I have searched all forums including the FAQ and it has no help.

My friend and I have been playing online for years with few problems. It is only recently with FM2008 that things seem to be really slow. So slow that it is almost unbearable to play and me as the guest is often kicked out. Why would this be?

We both have 'Move Matches For TV' unticked. We both have all background programmes off, ports routed and antivirus unblocking. We both have high spec laptops and both running 8MB broadband.

The only problems I can make out is that I run Vista, my friend XP as the host. But why would that be an issue? Also, he seems to have a medium database, where as when I look at my game status it says 'Small'. Can I change database size if I am the guest? I doubt it.

Also, I have tried to set up the game as host on Vista but my friend can't connect, it always has to be on his XP machine.

Any sensible help would be appreciated as it is spoiling an otherwise superb game. Previous editions of FM ran faster than this and it is painful to play.

Thanks

Dave

Archived