FMO Help Thread - Ask All Your Questions In Here!!!!

Andy H

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dav1970:

The only problems I can make out is that I run Vista, my friend XP as the host. But why would that be an issue? Also, he seems to have a medium database, where as when I look at my game status it says 'Small'. Can I change database size if I am the guest? I doubt it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just so you can rule a couple of things out, I host a clan of 11 players some using Vista and other using XP and we don't get anymore lag than we did with Football Manager 07 (of course there is a little lag but its always been like that)

With the issue of the database showing different sizes, this is a known bug and purely comstice on the status page (you are both running the same database despite what the status page shows)

Turn off all graphics, logos, pictures and sound which should helps with the lag.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Operating system? xp

Service packs installed? none

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? yes home hub

Anti virus software? norton

Firewall software? norton

i have done everything an still unable to connect ....help?

i was using exactly the same computer andy. i think i've worked it out. i just looked at what i was forwarding the ports to and my computer's ip address had changed, not sure if thats something it should do but i re-forwarded ports to that and its working.

incidently i now have two ip addresses in the 'game status' page. the ip of my router has also changd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lucaski:

i was using exactly the same computer andy. i think i've worked it out. i just looked at what i was forwarding the ports to and my computer's ip address had changed, not sure if thats something it should do but i re-forwarded ports to that and its working.

incidently i now have two ip addresses in the 'game status' page. the ip of my router has also changd. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool, least you got it working again. Incidentally, do you turn off your router when switching the computer off?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by craig212007:

Operating system? xp

Service packs installed? none

Net connection? 8mb

ISP? bt

i have done everything an still unable to connect ....help? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What have you done exactly to try and overcome this problem? icon_smile.gif

]Operating system? vista

Service packs installed? nonw that i am aware of

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Does both the host and all players need ports to be forwarded, or just the host??

Is there any method to ensure it is working? i appear to have forwarded ports ok, but my frient cant join ~(but he is on mac)

i want to be sure its not me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whittaker:

]Operating system? vista

Service packs installed? nonw that i am aware of

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Does both the host and all players need ports to be forwarded, or just the host??NO just the host

Is there any method to ensure it is working? i appear to have forwarded ports ok, but my frient cant join ~(but he is on mac)

i want to be sure its not me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

andy: my router is always on. not sure why my ip address changed but i know how to get it working now. once again thanks for all your help.

whittaker: just my experience with mac/pc compatibility in fm 2008. i'm running a mac with leopard and have just started a game with 2 mates who are both using xp. so far its run pretty smoothly.

dunga99, majorbriggs

played last night after switiching off all graphics, sounds, move matches for tv etc. it was possibly the slowest game we have ever played, and i was kicked out 5 times.

it is becoming painful to play and it is killing our love for a game we have played for 14 years.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dav1970:

dunga99, majorbriggs

played last night after switiching off all graphics, sounds, move matches for tv etc. it was possibly the slowest game we have ever played, and i was kicked out 5 times.

it is becoming painful to play and it is killing our love for a game we have played for 14 years.

any help would be appreciated

thanks

dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do any of you share your internet connection because if you doo and anyone is downloading or playing other games that could cause the slowness your experiencing

I've played FM06 and FM07 on PSP, but this is my first PC version (08).

Starting up an online game seems simple enough, but what I haven't been able to find out is what an online game actually is.

How do you play it with other players? Do you have to wait until everyone is online? How do you play against each other in a league if one is offline? etc.

I'd be greatful if someone could provide more information than is put in the manual, or just link me to a thread which I may have missed (but the topic titles have not helped find it).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drhenry:

Starting up an online game seems simple enough, but what I haven't been able to find out is what an online game actually is.

How do you play it with other players? Do you have to wait until everyone is online? How do you play against each other in a league if one is offline? etc.

I'd be greatful if someone could provide more information than is put in the manual, or just link me to a thread which I may have missed (but the topic titles have not helped find it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing online requires someone to host a game that others can join via an IP address that can be found on your game status screen.

Everyone does not have to be online at the same time and those not playing set their holiday options located in the manager pull down menu before exiting the game so their assistant manager takes over their team in the human players absence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pob!!:

Hi,

Me and a few friends were attempting to start a new online game together, there are no problems for any of us to connect individually to the host, however, as two of my friends are brothers and living in the same residence, they are sharing a connection. It seemed as though only one of them would be able to connect at a time.

My question is, is there any way to allow both of them to connect?

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any help at all would be appreciated...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pob!!:

Hi,

Me and a few friends were attempting to start a new online game together, there are no problems for any of us to connect individually to the host, however, as two of my friends are brothers and living in the same residence, they are sharing a connection. It seemed as though only one of them would be able to connect at a time.

My question is, is there any way to allow both of them to connect?

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Any help at all would be appreciated... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they would need separate IP addresses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whittaker:

ive seen a few threads about mac/pc compatibility, will this be rectified with a new patch? were they compatible on previous versions of fm? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

any guidance would be much appreciated?

Operating system? vista

Service packs installed? none that i am aware of

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

Router involved? bt home hub

Anti virus software? norton 2007

Firewall software? norton 2007

1. will the compatibility between MAC and PC be rectified with a patch? if so are you able to define rough timescales?

2. I have setup my router and another player (on PC) is wishing to join. I have done the port forwarding, however am i likley to require any tinkering with my firewall? if so is anyone else running Norton 2007 who can give me some specific pointers, as firewalls are not my strong point. do i do something with the players IP address? i have allowed access for FM08.

cheers

Operating system? vista

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

1. will the compatibility between MAC and PC be rectified with a patch? if so are you able to define rough timescales?

2. I have setup my router and another player (on PC) is wishing to join. I have done the port forwarding, however am i likley to require any tinkering with my firewall? if so is anyone else running Norton 2007 who can give me some specific pointers, as firewalls are not my strong point. do i do something with the players IP address? i have allowed access for FM08.

cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE> all you have to do is allow access for fm08 as i`m using norton 2007 and i host with no problems

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by drhenry:

I'd be greatful if someone could provide more information than is put in the manual, or just link me to a thread which I may have missed (but the topic titles have not helped find it). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing online requires someone to host a game that others can join via an IP address that can be found on your game status screen.

Everyone does not have to be online at the same time and those not playing set their holiday options located in the manager pull down menu before exiting the game so their assistant manager takes over their team in the human players absence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So I could, for example, buy all of their good players from the assistant manager, and ruin their game... I'm guessing that, with both players offline, the game doesn't play.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDXCougar8173:

Operating system? vista

Net connection? 6mb

ISP? bt

cheers </div></BLOCKQUOTE> all you have to do is allow access for fm08 as i`m using norton 2007 and i host with no problems </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks alot pal, much appreciated - ill give it ago

host

vista

BT

6mb

BT Homehub

NORTON 2007 virus software and firewall

client

XP service pack 2

Sky

6mb

Netgear

Mcafee virus software and firewall

the client gets the unable to connect error. I have forwarded ports 10093-10094 and assigned it to my wireless laptop. ive allowed access to fm08 in my firewall. the clients firewall is disabled?

Please help im getting really frustrated and dont understand what else to do.

thanks

Hi pleasse could you answer this question because im having exactly the same problem.

"Hey guys, i've been trying to set up an online game with a mate for a while now and we just can't get it working.

I've followed the instructions you have on here to a tee, but always come unstuck at one particular part.

Once i've set up the game and my mate tries to join he enters in my IP. What should happen is he goes into the "game status" screen and can then create a profile. What does happen though is the ball comes on the mouse (as if it's loading) and it just stayes like that, untill eventually he quits.

We've tried it both ways (such as him creating the game and me trying to join) but the same thing happens. By the way we use Hamachi and have tried turning all firewalls off etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

(Im sorry Im not great with computer related stuff, and if there is any information that would help to answer my problem please let me know. I will try and find it.)"

host

vista

BT

6mb

BT Homehub

client

XP service pack 2

Sky

6mb

Netgear

the client gets the unable to connect error. I have forwarded ports 10093-10094 and assigned it to my wireless laptop. ive allowed access to fm08 in my firewall. the clients firewall is disabled?

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you made sure that the IP you have assigned the ports for matches the IP on the game status screen?

Have you made sure you port forwarded to the correct internal IP?

Just thought id add I have a pc.

Hi pleasse could you answer this question because im having exactly the same problem.

"Hey guys, i've been trying to set up an online game with a mate for a while now and we just can't get it working.

I've followed the instructions you have on here to a tee, but always come unstuck at one particular part.

Once i've set up the game and my mate tries to join he enters in my IP. What should happen is he goes into the "game status" screen and can then create a profile. What does happen though is the ball comes on the mouse (as if it's loading) and it just stayes like that, untill eventually he quits.

We've tried it both ways (such as him creating the game and me trying to join) but the same thing happens. By the way we use Hamachi and have tried turning all firewalls off etc

Any help would be much appreciated.

(Im sorry Im not great with computer related stuff, and if there is any information that would help to answer my problem please let me know. I will try and find it.)"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy H:

host

vista

BT

6mb

BT Homehub

client

XP service pack 2

Sky

6mb

Netgear

Have you made sure that the IP you have assigned the ports for matches the IP on the game status screen?

Have you made sure you port forwarded to the correct internal IP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for your help mate-sorted it. have you any word on the mac/pc compatibility?

. have you any word on the mac/pc compatibility? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

they work fine together.

Guest Jonners80

Hi there!

I have previously started an on-line game with a friend and it worked fine. Everytime i connected to the game all i had to do was Left click on "not connected" under status and a pop up appeared and i would resume control of my team.

The other day i was over at his house so we played the game on his computer only. Now i'm trying to access the game again from my home pc and when i log on to the game - under status my team shows up as "playing" and it doesnt let me regain control of my team!!

What am i missing here? How can i re-gain control of my team?!?

Thanks for your time & attention,

jonners80

first hurdle over and done with-ive started a game.

with being the host i can load up the game as usual, but if i continue without the other players, where does that leave them? i seem to be able to continue and save?do they just continue from where they left off, or is it forcing them to continue to the date that i set?

are the other players able to continue without the host?

i have read the post in FAQ about holiday settings, but what happens if this is not set.

thanks

with being the host i can load up the game as usual, but if i continue without the other players, where does that leave them? i seem to be able to continue and save?do they just continue from where they left off, or is it forcing them to continue to the date that i set?

i have read the post in FAQ about holiday settings, but what happens if this is not set.

They will be forced to play from where you last saved the game as you are the host.

No the host has to be present for all to play.

What usually happens is that when you try to rejoin the game if you have not set your holiday options then your status in the game will still be playing meaning you will be unable to take control of your team until your status is not connected. The host would then have to go into your profile, set your hols and then disconnect that player from the game in order for the player to rejoin.

Server (Me)

Net: 6mb

ISP: Ask4 Broadband

Router: Yes

Antivirus: Kaspersky 6

Firewall: Comodo

Client (Mate)

Net: 2mb

ISP: Ask4 Braodband

Antivirus: McAfee Security

Firewall: Mcafee Security

I have read through the FAQ section already and have still not found a solution.

Me and my mate tried to sart up a network game lastnite but it will not connect. I have set my game up as the server and have gotten my IP address from the game status screen to give to my mate.

The problem is the IP address i get is the exact same as my mates? The only thing i can think of thats causing this is because we are in the same uni accommodation and we are on the same router.

But his 1st IP is different (by 2 digits) form mine but the 2nd one is the same.

Please can you help as i am all out of ideas.

Oh and both our firewalls have been disabled to allow us to connect with no problems.

Thanks

Server (Me)

Net: 6mb

ISP: Ask4 Broadband

Antivirus: Kaspersky 6

Firewall: Comodo

Client (Mate)

Net: 2mb

ISP: Ask4 Braodband

Antivirus: McAfee Security

Firewall: Mcafee Security

I have read through the FAQ section already and have still not found a solution.

Me and my mate tried to sart up a network game lastnite but it will not connect. I have set my game up as the server and have gotten my IP address from the game status screen to give to my mate.

The problem is the IP address i get is the exact same as my mates? The only thing i can think of thats causing this is because we are in the same uni accommodation and we are on the same router.

But his 1st IP is different (by 2 digits) form mine but the 2nd one is the same.

Please can you help as i am all out of ideas.

Oh and both our firewalls have been disabled to allow us to connect with no problems.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

if your on the same router then it should show up in the local servers part on the network page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I'm hosting a game, if a friend searches for my IP and he doesn't have the new patch which I am running, should the game appear then an error message occours when he tries to join or will it not even show up the game?

Thanks for any help, this is just to eliminate a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F94:

When I'm hosting a game, if a friend searches for my IP and he doesn't have the new patch which I am running, should the game appear then an error message occours when he tries to join or will it not even show up the game?

Thanks for any help, this is just to eliminate a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

an error message will occur "unable to connect to server"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">theoneandonly1

Amateur

Registered: 01 July 2007 Posted 22 January 2008 23:29 how do you unban ips need help urgently </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the person you banned needs to re-set this I.P

START>RUN and type cmd. At the command line type ipconfig /release, Then hit ENTER. Next, type ipconfig /renew and shut the computer down. Next, unplug the cable modem for a couple of minutes, then plug it back in again. Once all of the modem lights are green, power up the PC again. It should automatically renew its IP at boot.

Note: If they have a router, they should unplug it, as well, then plug it back in AFTER they plug in the modem, but before they power up the PC. The router will need to supply the PC with a new IP address.

I think this is the way, its been a while.................................GOLDY where are you. icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by live4_loveunited:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by F94:

Thanks for any help, this is just to eliminate a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

an error message will occur "unable to connect to server" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good news, thank you.

I know this doesn't particually refer to the online side of the game but when I try to start a game on 8.0.0 so he can play it automatically starts a game on 8.0.1, anyone know why?

Operating system? XP

Service packs installed? None other than what the computer came with.

Net connection? Don't know where to get this from? If it's the little computer in the bottom right corner with some green lines coming out. Then the speed is 54.0 Mbps

ISP? Wanadoo (Think they've been bought out though :-S)

Router involved? Yes, Belkin

Anti virus software? Avast

Firewall software? Windows

My mate and I have been trying on FM07 and never worked, it could never connect. I got FM08 today and we've tried on there and still getting nowhere. He has had a game on FM07 through network with someone else in the past so it must be something to do with my computer...

Thansk,

Tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by toontomh:

Operating system? XP

Net connection? Don't know where to get this from? If it's the little computer in the bottom right corner with some green lines coming out. Then the speed is 54.0 Mbps

My mate and I have been trying on FM07 and never worked, it could never connect. I got FM08 today and we've tried on there and still getting nowhere. He has had a game on FM07 through network with someone else in the past so it must be something to do with my computer...

Thansk,

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who`s hosting ????

because if it`s you then you`ll need to port forward your router so that the other players can connect to you but if your not hosting then the host needs to PORT FORWARD and only the host needs to do that not the players connecting

They will be forced to play from where you last saved the game as you are the host.

No the host has to be present for all to play.

What usually happens is that when you try to rejoin the game if you have not set your holiday options then your status in the game will still be playing meaning you will be unable to take control of your team until your status is not connected. The host would then have to go into your profile, set your hols and then disconnect that player from the game in order for the player to rejoin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks alot mate, really helpful.

out of intrest is there a thread explaining the ins and outs of online play?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stabwest:

if your on the same router then it should up in the local servers part on the network page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i though this too but it doesnt show up mate.

only this really and the help thread.

But any questions you need answered best to stick them in this thread, theres always someone about on hand to help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks, yeah ive read that. just thought there maybe some advise on recommended database size, what to do when people are offline, etc - no probs

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RDXCougar8173:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by toontomh:

Operating system? XP

Thansk,

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who`s hosting ????

because if it`s you then you`ll need to port forward your router so that the other players can connect to you but if your not hosting then the host needs to PORT FORWARD and only the host needs to do that not the players connecting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done that, both have tried to host opening the ports and all that and nothing. Just keeps coming up saying 'Unable to connect to server'

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Operating system? XP

Thansk,

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

who`s hosting ????

because if it`s you then you`ll need to port forward your router so that the other players can connect to you but if your not hosting then the host needs to PORT FORWARD and only the host needs to do that not the players connecting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Done that, both have tried to host opening the ports and all that and nothing. Just keeps coming up saying 'Unable to connect to server'

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Have you made sure you have port forwarded to the correct internal IP?

Archived