How to effectively counteract the 4-2-3-1 deep formation

Quite simply, I have found that I struggle both offensively and defensively when playing against the 4-2-3-1 deep formation. I can't say I have a specific formation I always use that I can describe, but in general it is a 4-3-3 (with a DMC (DM) or an AMC (AP), depending upon the opposition strength, and two wingers).

I am wondering how everyone else counters this formation. Specifically I seem to have issues with the two defensive midfield players controlling possession.

-Setting my central midfielders to man mark/close down/tight mark these players draws them out of position and provides a lot of space between my lines for their more attacking players to exploit.

-Cutting off this space cedes the midfield to the opposition and makes it difficult for me to win the ball back.

-I played around with using the AMC and Striker to close them down instead, but this dragged them out of position and made a swift change of defence into attack difficult for my team.

Any suggestions would be welcome (as would any requests for clarification on my part, because I know am I not the most lucid of writers)!

In general, if I am really troubled by a formation, either I will use that formation to counter itself (4-2-3-1 vs 4-2-3-1) or, I will flip the formation upside down. In this case, you know you want a man on the wingers, the AMC, the ST, the two DMCs, and after that, the fullbacks. Well, take a look at what will get the job done, in that regards. I use the 3-4-3 Diamond, but don't come across too much 4-2-3-1 in Italy. It works well against other 5 man midfields, though, so might be worth a try.

Using the Shout - Stand-Off Opponents - changes the marking to loose , reduces closing down and slows the tempo.Your players are less likely to get skinned and keeps your defensive shape.

If the opposition have fast attackers you might want to drop deeper and play counter attack.

If you want to press them effectively, switch to a 1-2 midfield (a DM and 2 CM's) so you can press them man for man while still having cover in front of the defence. If you're not using a high pressing strategy sit back and let them have it deep in their own midfield where they can't do much, and try to lure them up the pitch, then attack the space in behind them with a combination of an AMC, inside forwards or a deep forward.

I'm using plain OI's to counter a 4-2-3-1.

FB's: close down always + weaker foot

AML/AMR: tight mark always (you could eventually show them onto a certain foot to prevent them from cutting in, eg. AML to left foot, AMR to right foot, but you'll need good CD's to clear the inevitable crosses)

MC's: tight mark always for the more creative MC, close down always + weaker foot for the other one

or

DM's: I usually do nothing with them to prevent my midfield from getting dragged out of position and open up gaps. Maybe you want your AMC to man mark the more creative one. Your choice.

AMC: tight mark

ST: you could think about tight marking him, too, but if he's a DLF then he will almost certainly drag one of your DC's out of position, so I do this only when facing Poachers/Adv. Forwards.

Attacking movement: a 4-2-3-1 is vulnerable down the flanks. Use this knowledge. Play narrower and exploit the flanks are shouts I find quite useful.

Archived