This feature is incredibly stupid

Good thing I read the thread all the way til the end, otherwise I'd have been making a huge useless post where I was practically quoting Mike7077 and getting responses like: "Yeah. But Mike said that already."

So, hereby I support Mike with his new idea regarding the board takeover-sacking.

I've come to the conclusion that I still support the feature's presence, but it isn't working properly. Thinking off the top of my head, it's very hard to find examples of managers just sacked outright by new boards. Even Ranieri at Chelsea was kept on until the end of that season. There will always be the randomness of what clubs get taken over and when (although some should be more likely to experience it than others), but the feature needs to be there in some guise. I liked your ideas from earlier. What I would suggest is that, when a new board comes in, they might make it a poorly kept secret that they want a new man in and that the pressure is on you. It becomes less random then because, in theory, you can still do something to keep your job.

Just a minor addition: I would prefer to see what the new board wants. New confidence would be in place, but it would also be a nice touch to get an e-mail from the board where they tell you what they expect from you in order not to sack you. Something along the lines of: "The previous board wanted to get the club to a safe mid-table. The new board wants the club to be challenging for the title and achieve European Football, which hasn't been achieved in the past 18 years. They also want to see the wage bill reduced with 200k. The new board is not convinced about the qualities of player X, and want him to leave.

The board also wants to replace you with a new manager, as they don't believe you'll be up for the task. They have given you 3 months to turn things around or get sacked. " which would put the pressure on you because they have various expectations. It would indeed allow you to take that last chance and get the club where they want it to have and it could even allow you to keep ahold of a player they don't want at the club unless he performs a lot better.

But those various expectations could make this a sort of in-game challenge, with a new time limit.

I agree that 'popularity' should be making an impact here, especially when you're listed under the 'Club Favorites', despite the board trying to get you to leave.

Which reminds me, when you resign, is it possible that the players/board ask you not to resign and that you can reconsider?

Jol and Coleman were sacked because the Tottenham and Fulham boards were not happy with their performance. Remember how awful Spurs became under Jol?

Didn't Jol say later that he handed over a list of players he wanted for the budget, but got a whole lot of different players back, players he either disapproved of, or even didn't consider them of enough quality to make the step up happen? It meant that he never got the reinforcements he needed, which is why he never managed to keep them up.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didnt QPR get a new man in and Hearts as well and AV grant got to the CL final nearly won the league and still got sacked by a fairly new board and owner so it does happen

I don't think people are trying to argue against it being completely realistic, I think they are more concerned that it is something realistic which serves no positive purpose in the game for some people, a bit like manager illness.

manager illness.
Don't tell me that's a rumor going on in SI ... where I have to let my abysmal Assistant Manager have to let take over the team because I'm down with the flu and have to stay home for 2 weeks in order not to get any other players sick.

Don't tell me that's a rumor going on in SI ... where I have to let my abysmal Assistant Manager have to let take over the team because I'm down with the flu and have to stay home for 2 weeks in order not to get any other players sick.

No, it was an example of something realistic that should never be included in the game for the sake of the gamer.

im tired of people sticking up for the game in these silly situations

That sums it up for me. Some of you keep saying "the majority wants the game to be as realistic as possible". Who are you to say what the majority wants? I'm pretty sure the majority just wants to play this game exactly as that, a game! Where you buy your favorite players, put up a formation and win some cups and mabye the league. It's not like that right now, you have to twist and tweak and search for the right instructions not only to win one game, but the next game it starts all over again. The 2D view is a joke beyond jokes, watch it and compare it to the text-commentary for a good laugh. And the list goes on.

This game was enjoyable in it's Championship Manager days. CM2 was lovely. Getting Romario to my local club in my tiny country, having him win me the Champions League. FM2006 was the best of them all, after a few patches. Players actually did what you told them to do. You didnt have to guess what each instruction would make them do. And your team didnt fall together just cause the oposition changed their formation slightly. Basically your players had brains of their own :p

FM2008 is the last FM I will buy. I'll try the demo of the next one, but with the current state of the match engine and that ludicrous 2D view I dont see any hope. It doesnt help that SI themselves never respond to any form of criticism. It feels like they only bother to read what the fanboys write like the people the quote points to.

I'm a fanboy myself, I've played every game since CM2, and I'm a sad sad sad puppy. This game has gone down hill the last two releases (actually it's more a case of falling off a cliff) and I find myself frustrated and angered more often than enjoyed when I play it.

This game lives on the good name and reputation it's had since it's early days, and the lack of competition. If SI dont wake up soon and realise that not all of their players want realism ahead of entertainment, I think they will start loosing players to other games in a few years time.

And to the realism loving fanboys saying "mabye this game isnt for you any more". You are right it's not. And I'm not alone, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm one of the majority, and that is a problem for SI in the long run. You say this isnt a game it's a simulation. Well it sure isnt markedet as one. You're still lead to believe a game in every sense of the word. And in my opinion a game should be about entertainment ahead of anything else.

Cheers.

"We're sorry, but you've had an accident on the way to the training camp today and have been killed.

Game Over".

For those that argue that they want a computer game to be "as realistic as possible", I wonder how your real managerial career is going?, because surely you are putting far more energy into that (valuing the real over the fantasy as you do) than you are into FM. Or then again, you could think about what you're saying. Because clearly such statements are false if you are posting on a game forum. If you want reality, you could start with a local kids team and see how it goes... :)

Its a gray line, to be sure. As much realism as can be fun and compelling and engrossing. Has been serving the entertainment industry for a few thousand years. I think they are onto something.

I have never been sacked after a board takeover (and Celtic used to get taken over in just about evey game on 800 and 801). As such I believed that your results did matter, as I always did quite well. If this is not the case then I feel the pain of the OP. However I do not want to see the feture removed as I like the possibilities of more money etc that it throws up but will also accept the potential problems as the pay off for potential benefits.

As such I am starting to think an unsackable option is the way forward (despite previously being against it). I only every play as Celtic and yet I still would not make myself unsackable. I would probably start a new game or it may be just what I need to start as a new team. I actually like the posibility that I can lose my job because the new chairman doesn't like me. I would like to see more interaction around it though, alongthe lines of what was suggested previously, as long as it is not repetative!

I have never been sacked after a board takeover (and Celtic used to get taken over in just about evey game on 800 and 801). As such I believed that your results did matter, as I always did quite well. If this is not the case then I feel the pain of the OP. However I do not want to see the feture removed as I like the possibilities of more money etc that it throws up but will also accept the potential problems as the pay off for potential benefits.

Your results do matter, but the new board don't seem to take into consideration what has happened in the past. Mine seemed to sack me for losing a few games at the end of the season but overlooked the fact that I had taken a club from the BSS to the Premier League and had just achieved the highest league position in the history of the club.

I'm not so sure it needs removing, just refining.

Archived