Training and Finding youngsters, help.

I have recently started a save with Sheffield United, they have a good squad with a mix of youth and experience and also have 4 or 5 high potential youngsters inthe youth squad. What I am looking to do is completely revamp the youth squad and get rid of everyone not up to it and bring in new players who could potentially be first teamers.

My first question is what is the best way to find high potential youngsters? At the moment I can only scout UK and Ireland so I was just wondering if people have any tips/advice for finding players further afield without sending my scouts out there.

Also what do people look for when finding youngsters? Ive never been good at spotting a good youngster unless it kicks me in the face. So what do people look for, I presume determination is prettykey but what other signs are there of a good youngster?

Finally a slightly un related questions what is the best way to retrain a player, would new position training and plenty of game time in their new position be the best way forward?

Cheers in advance, i look forward to hearing some answers.

Why do you think determination is key? I see a lot of people say this and while its a bonus if someone is high in this attribute it doesn't matter if they aren't as its just another mental attribute like the rest of them and doesn't really do anything special.

As for finding players I just use my scouts and sign players I think can be trained for the role they'll be playing at my club. They just need to majority of the basics needed for the position, so if it was a striker I'd look for composure, off the ball and finishing. Then I'd think what type of striker do I use at the club and if its a targetman type then I'll need the player to have a bit of strength, heading and jumping as well. And so on, I just basic any logic on who I sign like this.

As for re-training playing them in the new position they are learning speeds up the process :)

My youth development thread might give a better insight into what I do :)

determination/personality is only important to consider if you dont have players who can tutor, otherwise the mentoring will have that sorted out in no time

in your case, jimbob, I would worry more about geting promoted to the EPL as fast as possible, and then focus on buying youngsters, since its a lot harder to tell if the youngsters you buy at the very start will be good enough long term after two promotions

I have recently started a save with Sheffield United, they have a good squad with a mix of youth and experience and also have 4 or 5 high potential youngsters inthe youth squad. What I am looking to do is completely revamp the youth squad and get rid of everyone not up to it and bring in new players who could potentially be first teamers.

My first question is what is the best way to find high potential youngsters? At the moment I can only scout UK and Ireland so I was just wondering if people have any tips/advice for finding players further afield without sending my scouts out there.

Also what do people look for when finding youngsters? Ive never been good at spotting a good youngster unless it kicks me in the face. So what do people look for, I presume determination is prettykey but what other signs are there of a good youngster?

Finally a slightly un related questions what is the best way to retrain a player, would new position training and plenty of game time in their new position be the best way forward?

Cheers in advance, i look forward to hearing some answers.

Until you can afford to scout further afield than the UK, it will be tough to get a proper reading on players, particularly if you have attribute masking on. However you can still do some manual scouting. Firstly, some clubs are very good at consistently churning out high quality prospects (newgens). Without giving you a definitive list, an example would be Dinamo Zagreb - they produce a big chunk of the finest Croatian newgens. In season 2-3 in the game, Croatia becomes an EU nation, meaning it becomes obviously easier to sign them at the beginning of their career. If you eyeball their squad, sort by age and look for anyone with a high market value that stands out - you might have found a future star. If you try to sign them, the compensation you have to pay will be displayed above you talks buttons at the bottom of the screen. If the compensation is £400k+, again that is a good sign. None of these things are certainties - but they are all good signs. 5 star prospects don't have a compensation of £50k. Obviously if they have high attributes - that is a great sign too. Getting them to sign for the Blades...

Cheers for all the advice people :)

@Cleon Firstly I like a determined squad with a high work rate just out of personal preference. I've also always linked determination to how good a chance a player has of reaching potential. I thought that would be the case with re training. Ive got a left winger who probably wont play at Left Wing due to the formation and other players being of a better quality but he is young and I think he would make a pretty good attacking championship full back. Ive had a read of the Ajax one and am trying to implement a similar sort of thing, bring quite a few players in and have a strict selection policy to pull out the real high quality players.

Falahk Yeah good point with the EPL thing, would be no use signing a load of youngsters good enough for the Championship if im aiming for the top. But over the first few seasons Ill just be aiming to get the youth setup in place, I want a lot of high quality youth to always be at the club. If I start developing them now I can work out what works well and what doesn't.

Cyderman I've been thinking about it today and yeah your right I think that will be the only way. Going through clubs I know have good youngsters and looking at their squads does seem to be the only way whilst I still have such a limited scouting range.

I've not actually checked on this one yet but can you actually create a schedule on this years FM and specify which categories a player will train on more than others? I've not had an in depth look yet but from a brief check I cant see anything.

@Cleon Firstly I like a determined squad with a high work rate just out of personal preference. I've also always linked determination to how good a chance a player has of reaching potential.

Fair enough then if its a determines squad you are after :)

The bolded bit however isn't true at all :)

I've not actually checked on this one yet but can you actually create a schedule on this years FM and specify which categories a player will train on more than others? I've not had an in depth look yet but from a brief check I cant see anything.

No you can't create custom schedules. Your only options are train a set role or work on an individual attribute.

Fair enough then if its a determines squad you are after :)

The bolded bit however isn't true at all :)

No you can't create custom schedules. Your only options are train a set role or work on an individual attribute.

Ahhh well thats made things a little easier, it does count towards their professionalism though doesnt it?

That's a bummer, made it a little easier to manage a high amount of youngsters when you could set up the same schedule for a group rather than indivudally. Not that I mind, really enjoying the game more already simply because of the developmental side.

Ahhh well thats made things a little easier, it does count towards their professionalism though doesnt it?

No. That's an hidden attribute eniterly on its own. Determination is just the exact same as the other metal attributes and doesn't do anything more than the rest of them. It has no bearing on how well a player trains, develops, learns new positions etc :)

No. That's an hidden attribute eniterly on its own. Determination is just the exact same as the other metal attributes and doesn't do anything more than the rest of them. It has no bearing on how well a player trains, develops, learns new positions etc :)

Well thats explained that then :) Cheers Cleon, really saved me a lot of time and confusion

Well thats explained that then :) Cheers Cleon, really saved me a lot of time and confusion

Reading my response back I come across as really blunt, sorry for that. It's just a lot of people over the years and some in the past few weeks on this forum seem to think it is some sort of magical attribute when it really isn't. Some people even went as far as saying they won't sign players with an attribute less than 15 for determination because they thought it is the main stat for every player. Even when told what it actually does people still won't realise it and refuse to accept the truth :D

I like to have a whole squad of determined player (determination over 16 for the entire XI) because it makes team talk and going a goal down so much easier. The more goals I am losing by the more fired up the team becomes, and when I am 2 goals up I tell my team I am far from pleased they get even more motivated, its great.

Won the CL final last season 5-4 while going into half time losing 4-1. Love it.

I like to have a whole squad of determined player (determination over 16 for the entire XI) because it makes team talk and going a goal down so much easier. The more goals I am losing by the more fired up the team becomes, and when I am 2 goals up I tell my team I am far from pleased they get even more motivated, its great.

Won the CL final last season 5-4 while going into half time losing 4-1. Love it.

It's a players personality what deals with teamtalks and not determination. It's nothing to do with determination, again another misconception from people :D. While determination might be used to make up some player personalities it still doesn't have an impact on team talks. How a player reacts to a teamtalk is down to the hidden attributes.

Reading my response back I come across as really blunt, sorry for that. It's just a lot of people over the years and some in the past few weeks on this forum seem to think it is some sort of magical attribute when it really isn't. Some people even went as far as saying they won't sign players with an attribute less than 15 for determination because they thought it is the main stat for every player. Even when told what it actually does people still won't realise it and refuse to accept the truth :D

Sounds like me circa FM 7. I would've passed on Messi if he didn't have determination >14... Ahhh, stupid times...

Archived