Full backs, wing backs and crossing.

I'm puzzled.

I've been trying to get a bit more width in my attacks. To do this I've changed a FB (s) to a WB (a). In theory he should now make forward runs often (he does) and cross ball from byline. Here is where I'm puzzled. If he gets to the byline why does he then turn around and punt the ball 30 yards back down the pitch instead of crossing like he's supposed to?

Any success I've had from crosses are from quick counter attacks when the defence are out of position, very hard to score from them if you're playing a slow possession game.

Full backs who are quick and have the 'knocks ball past opponent' ppm should be able to suprise the back line and whip in a dangerous cross.

Strikers should have good anticipation, bravery, off the ball and determination to get in front of the defenders.

I just posted a complaint of this nature in the bugs section. The reply was that in the next build we should see significant improvements to FB/WB's play.

I'm playing 3 at the back leaving the flanks pretty unguarded and I was conceding loads of goals from crosses until I improved my centre-halves, so it can work.

One way I was exposed was when the winger and full back doubled up on me leaving one of them free, I think the crosser needs a clear line of sight before he'll put a ball in.

Try to look at the match analyzes - I bet you get more crosses than you think :) My Wbs give plenty of crosses cause they work in a good synergy with the IFs - so they get space to work it in the box. Watch some full matches if you got time and tweak em to get that space required - sometimes the players just backpass though - but often in my games ive like 7-12 crosses from both Wbs - thats alot :)

Archived