Second Season Syndrome(if thats what it is?)

I've been enjoying FM13 despite there being 1000's of issues, but three times in a row now i've got to the second season and the game turns to crap.

With my first West Ham save i could understand it at least, brought in a load of cheap foreigners and threw them straight in the team. My second West Ham save was also frustrating, i purchased fewer players and most of those that i did buy had been playing in the EPL the previous season. The annoying thing about this save was that although we were playing even better than the previous season(as i'd hoped) we were not getting the results we deserved, which was very much like FM12.

I started a new save with Reading, had a great 1st season finishing 7th, brought in 8 new players(previous season brought in 11 players) 5 of those who had been playing in England the previous season and in my very first league game of the 2nd season we monumentally outplayed Liverpool, somehow managed not to score and then somehow ended up losing a game we should have won comfortably when my defender inexplicably scored a stupid own goal.

Sadly that's been the tale of the tape so far, dominating games but not finishing teams off and ending up giving away a cheap(and usually dodgy) penalty to teams who have barely been in the final third, let alone creating any chances of note. I have my training set to "defending set pieces" yet that's where most of our goals are being conceded from.

Here are stats from my last two games below

Stats versus QPR

The QPR goal(and ccc) came in injury time when my gk(Ruddy) dropped a simple catch in front of Zamora

2it67uo.jpg

Stats versus Wigan

6qbotw.jpg

x3aiki.jpg

Both of Wigans first two goals(and first two ccc's) were penalties out of absolutely nothing(the first was also described as a bad decision afterward) my striker missed our penalty(his second pen miss of season, despite having stats of Penalty taking 19 and Composure 16, better than there's who of course scored both) their 3rd goal(and ccc) came after i went 4-2-4 to try to grab an equaliser, Wigans gk lumped a ball forward which went straight to my gk, but he just watched it drop to the floor before Di Santo ran in to score what must have been the easiest goal ever.

Scraped a win in Europe

141mr6c.jpg

First half stats from next league game

351vo1l.jpg

I wouldn't mind but the first season(all three) was reasonably fair, i nicked a few lucky points here and dropped a few unlucky points there, but every second season the game starts behaving like FM12 and it seems like have to play at least twice as good as the opposition to sneak a point? So far this season i've W 4 D 4 L 5 = 16pts but could easily have had another 10 points had the game played like season 1???

Am i only going to be able to play one season saves on FM13?

Sounds like you need to give longer to gel. Realistically, more than a few changes will do this to a team. I also think FM may be a little excessive on dropping tactical familiarity over the off-season which will compound the situation.

I brought in 11 players in season 1 and finished 7th :eek: plus the tactic familiarity was more or less built up again in pre-season.

How about accepting it as the challenge that it is? Im pretty sure reading IRL wouldnt be too unhappy with 16 points from 13 games. Or are you saying because you made it to season 2 it should be a walkover? Give it till end of jan and then see, I am sure if you perserve you will see the results.

Its not really a challenge though is it, as it has happened three saves in a row it just seems like something thats there and you can do nothing about it?

Another frustration is that i'm playing on a very slow laptop, if i could speed through i might find the tide turning and start enjoying it again, but its just a slow frustrating process at the minute and much more of the same will see me turn the game off.

The problem is that you are now favourite in these kind of games because you did well in the first season.

To my knowledge SI has admitted that weaker teams defend too well and are too good at countering. In FM when the AI is an underdog they will often park the bus. You will then have a great deal of possession and shots at goal, but because bad teams defend too well, it's too hard to turn possession into something useful. Hopefully the coming patch will address this.

The problem is that you are now favourite in these kind of games because you did well in the first season.

To my knowledge SI has admitted that weaker teams defend too well and are too good at countering. In FM when the AI is an underdog they will often park the bus. You will then have a great deal of possession and shots at goal, but because bad teams defend too well, it's too hard to turn possession into something useful. Hopefully the coming patch will address this.

We are NOT favourites though, i'm currently playing away to West Ham(in my Reading save) and despite them being two places below us(we also have 2 games in hand) they are odds on and we are 3-1?

Well what are you looking for an easy game? Dont choose West Ham, choose United or City. West Ham will be a challenge for 3/4 years at least!

What are you doing differently in the second season in a tactical sense?

Same tactic same shouts, performances much better than 1st season, results much worse?

We are NOT favourites though, i'm currently playing away to West Ham(in my Reading save) and despite them being two places below us(we also have 2 games in hand) they are odds on and we are 3-1?

I don't know then... Just what I had experienced. I have better results against opponents where odds are equal than against opponents where I'm heavy favourites. Even though my team play much better when I'm a heavy favourite...

I'm about done i think, this is the kind of thing i've been putting up with all 2nd season(for the 3rd time in a row that i've played 2 seasons)

f39f82.jpg

There is just no rhyme or reason for it, it appears the game has calculated us to struggle, maybe its something i did in a former life who knows?

This is demoralising because i was actually really enjoying FM this year.

I just don't see the point of continuing? i'm just going to end up being sacked, i don't mind doing badly if its deserved, but this is just soul destroying when you have put so much time and effort in.

SI - Any idea what's going on?

It is possible the West Ham manager has a different perception of the game to the bookmakers, and so is setting up defensively ready to counter attack.

The answer, usually, is to be a bit more conservative. Have one of your midfielders sit a little deeper. For example, if you are using a deep lying playmaker on a "support" duty, switch him to "defend".

Archived