transfers not simulating the reality

SI, any words on this issue? I must admit that the transfer feature is one of the parts I like at most, but unfortunately it still has some problems in the implementation, which is for sure very complicated too. Please SI, at least concentrating on the part where the counter offer is even higher than the proposed offer which asks for some reduction :(

Most of the SI boys are fully tied up with FM09 at the moment. They always go quiet shortly before they release details of the new game. Don't be offended if they don't comment - I know that Ter and a few others still pop in now and again, but I wouldn't expect most of the SI boys to comment during what is, presumably, one of the busiest times of year for them.

Completely agree with this point, although it's ridiculously high fee's for all players, not just mediocre one's.

In real life, Ronaldinho has just gone to Milan for a fee of €21million, (which is about £18million), this would never happen on FM. On FM you'd be lucky to get him for £40million, and this needs to be looked at as transfer fee's need to be more realistic.

I feel you have a good point but the example you have mentioned depends upon the context of the situation.

In real life he had a poor season and Barcelona had decided they were happy to let him go, so they sold him for what was still a very high amount for a player they didn't want. If he was playing to his best and was wanted by the club, I feel certain they wouldn't have accepted the same "low" amount.

I rarely see him or Barcelona unhappy with each others' company in FM and therefore Barcelona expects a high amount to be paid for him.

I feel that the AI needs to take into consideration many things for player values to become anything near realistic. I believe that there is already a hidden kind of club perceived value variable which dictates how much the player is currently worth to the club.

This variable for perceived current value of the player to the club should take into account many things including:-

Current market value for a player of that calibre in the game

Importance to the club (Legend/First Team/Rotation etc)

Quantity/quality of other players the club has in this position and the ability to replace him with an equal or better player

Happiness of player and effect that has on the rest of the squad

Wages

How much the player suffers from injuries

How long is left on the players contract

Consistency

Perceived future potential (for younger players)

Also there should be a kind of form guage which would be a fluctuating percentage value ranging from a minus to plus amount which is affected by the players long term form for the club. For example if the player has always played at a very high level for the previous three seasons then this would severely increase his perceived value, whereas a player whose form has decreased year on year would slowly lose value to the club.

I feel that taking all of these areas into account when clubs decide on how much they want/will pay for a player would have many benefits and improve many areas currently in need of major sorting.

For one it should help to limit teams to improving the areas of their team most in need of improvement and keep the sale values down to a level which is expected by the gamer for any given scenario.

For example, if Barcelona had 7 central midfielders and the player the bid is put in for is world-class but seventh choice, Barcelona would be more inclined to let him go for a lower value than if he was first choice and on top form. Also, if it was the 2nd best but the player had played badly for some time or was obviously showing signs of decline then the third/fourth/fifth choice players (who had better or improving form and other parts of the equation in their favour) may have a higher perceived value to the club and therefore increase the willingness of the seller to decrease their expectations when negotiating for the player.

On top of this, an ability check for incoming players which would use the same kind of equation would be tied in for the AI buying system. The AI should look at their squad and decide if the player is going to be good enough to replace the players already there in that position now or in the near/far future or add squad depth before actually purchasing. If they do then purchase a player and they already have enough squad players for that position, they should look to offload their worst player in that position for that perceived value as calculated earlier (but would also be more flexible to negotiation).

I have a feeling that what I've touched on here is already in the game to some extent but feel it needs to be either fine-tuned or completely re-written in order to balance this area better.

I don't really have a big problem with the inflated transfer system, FM08 has made it easier than ever to make loads of money and become super rich so keeping up with the market is relatively easy.

yes its true when you are playing as a top tier team but if ur in the second division or your a team who doesnt qualify for europe reguarly it makes it that extra bit harder to sign players as anyone with some quality will cost alot more than normal, and in the game the prize money does not go up to reflect this so the poor teams cant keep up as they are not in as many competitions

Archived