FM13: Oxford City F.C. Fight to be top Ox

Seems to have done the trick very well, depending on how much you like to look into things you might want to look at doing training yourself as this way you can get your players to play even better to you tactics, also you can help bring youth through which will help money wise.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far I have had a great pre-season! Well its over so I guess I can say I had a great pre-season! Only lost to two sides, both in League 1! Have hard a slightly hard time signing players so far though, almost all of my transfer targets signed for other teams, I feel I have gotten enough in for now though and will continue to search for more players. First game of season was a 2-1 loss at home to Chester who are a good side and then I destroyed Gloucester 3-0 on the road!

You will probably get alot of mixed results as teams are so close in ability you can destroy top teams 2/10-0 and then lose the same to bottom of the table its great.

...Or incredibly frustrating. But that is the fun of it. Good luck Thunder...keep us posted on how you get on!

Alright guys I am going to be taking time away from Fm as I feel I have lost my love for the game as of now, hopefully I can get the itch back soon as I don't feel I have finished with it or could permanently.

I will still be keeping an eye on the thread so if you ever need any help I will answer and try and help the best I can.

I would also like to thank you for making this thread get to two pages and hopefully we can get a few more yet before Fm 14.

Just finished my 1st season with Oxford City, like others i stumbled onto here thinking it was about Oxford United with out properly reading the title and in need o a new challenge so i wthought i would give it a go and really enjoyed it here are my results

im1cg6.png

i signed a player called Jamie Mole who was great in this league last year and thankfully he did well again

jamiemoleoverviewattrib.png

and this is the squad i finished the season with

oxfordcitysquadplayers.png

imkzt3.png

Congrats Pablo! Great first season...Mole looks great.

I have finally finished off January in my season...I promise I will post screens this time.

One piece of news though - Longford came in for a bid for my GK at $545K (USD). I really didnt want to sell him so I jacked it up to $1.5mil plus a $1 mil bonus if he plays in 10 internationals, (he already plays for the international team at 22), and the transfer goes though on Jan 4th, 2019. They accepted the bid so I had to accept it as my finances are not that great right now. I can't believe I could get $2.5 mil for a player in BSP.

Congrats Pablo! Great first season...Mole looks great.

I have finally finished off January in my season...I promise I will post screens this time.

One piece of news though - Longford came in for a bid for my GK at $545K (USD). I really didnt want to sell him so I jacked it up to $1.5mil plus a $1 mil bonus if he plays in 10 internationals, (he already plays for the international team at 22), and the transfer goes though on Jan 4th, 2019. They accepted the bid so I had to accept it as my finances are not that great right now. I can't believe I could get $2.5 mil for a player in BSP.

Good bit of money there jayare, how far are you off United now?

They are league 2 and I am currently sitting second in the BSP...It definitely has taken longer to play once I made the changes, watching the start of games and such. I have also delved into training a bit more for my youth players, hoping it will pay off when I try to sell them later on.

That money will really help out my finances once the cash comes through! Made some signings as well right at the end of the transfer window to solidify my squad!

Each year I start a save where I try to take a BSS/BSN team to the premier league, but I've never actually kept one going for very long. This year, I plan to stick with it (which I of course plan every year). Anyways, for some reason I decided to go for Oxford City this time around.

Haven't played very far yet, but so far it's going pretty well. I picked up a lot of players for free / on loan, and decided to go for a simple tactical approach where we sit deep and counter at pace. 12 games in, we're sitting pretty at 10 wins and 2 draws. Hope I'll be able to keep it up!

Here are our February results

februaryy.jpg

As you can see - an ok month in the league, but great results in the FA trophy matches - knocked off 1st place Farnsborough. Into the final in May v. Stalybridge. Looking forward to the chance to win a trophy.

As for the league results - the Mansfield and Gateshead matches were extremely frustrating. I am having real difficulty breaking down deference when they park the proverbial bus!

Jojo - any advice what shouts I should be using to crack their defense if they are sitting deep. Very happy with the amount of possession and passing stats...we really seem to dominate at home, win balls back quickly and get it forward.

Fabian - you are off to great start...hope it continues for you.

Here are our February results

februaryy.jpg

As you can see - an ok month in the league, but great results in the FA trophy matches - knocked off 1st place Farnsborough. Into the final in May v. Stalybridge. Looking forward to the chance to win a trophy.

As for the league results - the Mansfield and Gateshead matches were extremely frustrating. I am having real difficulty breaking down deference when they park the proverbial bus!

Jojo - any advice what shouts I should be using to crack their defense if they are sitting deep. Very happy with the amount of possession and passing stats...we really seem to dominate at home, win balls back quickly and get it forward.

I would look into a slow build up play it'll take a little longer to get the goal but will also make it a bit easier to get through, if you would like I could attempt to upload mine?

For shouts I have set up one for build up play as thats how I am trying to get my teams to play,attack for when I am behind and defend for holding on in the last few minutes.

Jojo - That would be great. I am not sure I really get the shouts. I feel I am missing a massive part of the tactical game because of this. In previous FM's I would just build a few tactics and off I went up the leagues...This year has been frustrating, infuriating and when all goes right...extremely exhilarating!

If you have groups of shouts that would be awesome as well.

Yeah, it was a great start. Unfortunately I went into a bit of a slump after those initial 12 games. It coincided with the new patch, but I don't know if it's really just a coincidence. Anyway, I drew 4 and lost 1 out of 6 games, before I realized what was going wrong. Last game of that playing session the team won in a convincing fashion though, so hopefully I'm back on track. Thankfully, the teams excellent beginning of the season meant that we're still in 1st despite that rough patch. :thup:

Fabian - Yes unfortunately you do go on runs, both good and bad. I think it happens a lot at this level. You just want to peak at the right time! Advice for you at end of season - try to keep as many of your regular players as possible. I have made that mistake and have always started slow because of it.

I am almost through March and have came up against teams that have really just sat 8 guys around the top of their box. Then I go away and run into a team that plays a 4-2-4 as there regular formation. Have started to get on a good run as well. Hope it lasts as I only have 6 games left in the season and am currently 4 pts in back of 1st place.

Fabian - Yes unfortunately you do go on runs, both good and bad. I think it happens a lot at this level. You just want to peak at the right time! Advice for you at end of season - try to keep as many of your regular players as possible. I have made that mistake and have always started slow because of it.

I am almost through March and have came up against teams that have really just sat 8 guys around the top of their box. Then I go away and run into a team that plays a 4-2-4 as there regular formation. Have started to get on a good run as well. Hope it lasts as I only have 6 games left in the season and am currently 4 pts in back of 1st place.

Too late, I've already released half the team, and some of the better players the past season were long-term loans who didn't want to stay. :(

It was a really close race to the finish, but in the end we managed to win by 8 points thanks to clutch performances against two of the other top teams (Solihull Moors and Harrowgate) in the final games of the season. :thup:

I've managed to bring in some spectacular players (for the level) from my own country, Sweden. I guess we've got the scouting knowledge of that region thanks to me, and I decided to capitalize on that. They all have experience from the highest division there, but were available for free. Didn't think they'd be interested in signing for us, but they were all in fact very interested. I'm stretching the wage budget a bit, but in the end I think it'll be worth it. Plus, as they are from the town I live in, it's fun to imagine managing a team in the UK and moving up the ladder due to a Swedish invation... :D

Hi guys,

Sorry about not posting the screenshots yet im having a bit on trouble in the real world at the moment, also if you want some free and pretty amazing players for lower leagues check Belgium 2nd and 3rd division for the amateur teams the players are pretty good for championship and they are willing to drop really far down in England from what I have managed.

Also I will be back with Oxford City soon as have just had a major crash on my save so will be looking at starting with City.

Do you need to load Belgium and Sweden at start, and which players are prepared to play at this level?

IIRC I had the top division in Sweden loaded (at playable level), but not the lower leagues. The players I've signed have all played in several clubs in the swedish highest and second highest divisions, but mostly as reserves/sqaud players. According to my coaches they "would be good for any League 1 team", so pretty amazing for Blue Square Premier, I would imagine. :)

Fabian - congrats on winning the BSN. Lots of players that were willing to sign with me wont renew their contract! Happens all the time.

Now that's the kind of information I needed. You should have no problem running up the leagues. I am pretty much stuck with the players in the UK because of financial constraints.

I have done ok. Have closed the gap between the top team to 3 pts. 2 games left but both at home...Farnborough have one left home and away. Hoping they slip up and I need two results.

Do you need to load Belgium and Sweden at start, and which players are prepared to play at this level?

As you have started just use the add league option Belgium doesn't add a lot of slow down if any at all, if you do start again you can just add players from that country.

With regards to finances they don't ask for stupid money like you would expect so may still be worth looking into and if need be get to league 2 and ask for scouting to be upgraded which then should include Europe.

As you have started just use the add league option Belgium doesn't add a lot of slow down if any at all, if you do start again you can just add players from that country.

With regards to finances they don't ask for stupid money like you would expect so may still be worth looking into and if need be get to league 2 and ask for scouting to be upgraded which then should include Europe.

Yeah, it's the same with Swedish players. The swedish league has stupidly low wages, where it's not uncommon to see players capable of playing in the English premier league on about £1k/w...

UPDATE - here is how the remainder of my season went.

Refresher (in case you need it) - 2nd place, 2 matches remaining, and 3 points behind the leaders.

Match #1 - at home - we go ahead in the 4th minute from a corner. We dominate possession for the 1st half but fail to capitalize on our chances. 1-0 at the break. no changes at halftime as we are playing quite well. 60th minute we have a great chance as our striker is through on goal but misses the target from about 12 yards out. They come right back down the field from the goal kick, work it down their right flank and ball bounces around until they put in the net, 1-1. 2 minutes later they cruise up the field, play a ball for their RF, my DC gets there first, clears it off my DM and ricochets into the path of their LF for a clear chance from about the penalty spot. Down 2-1. We then compose ourselves and start dominating again. Hit the post with about 15 minutes remaining. I push up to try to at least get a tie, their CM puts a ball over the top to a ST who may have been offside but wasn't called and finishes nicely. We lose 3-1. Farnsbourough clinch the BSP with our loss and we drop to 3rd behind Ebbsfleet. Disappointing result.

Match #2 at home - Need a win/draw to clinch 3rd place. We struggle from the outset and cannot amass any sustained pressure. the majority of the game is bogged down in midfield, with poor passing and excellent tackling. We settle into the match and start creating shots. we score right before halftime and again about 10 minutes after. We see out the game with no further scoring.

We clinch 3rd place in the BSP.

Match #3 at home, BSP Playoff Semi-final 1st leg vs (I cant remember, will update when I get a chance). first 20 minutes nothing really happens, both teams trying to get into the game. No real chances and a couple of shots each at this point. 30 minutes in and they get their first chance, a ball over the top to their ST who was blatantly offside, we are down 1-0, and to top it off one of my DC's get a yellow for voicing his displeasure at the non-call. It should be noted that I should have received a red for unsporting behavior and colorful language, good thing the ref couldn't hear me though. Nothing eventful until after halftime. I made a few tweaks to start pressuring more and using the width to our advantage, surprisingly it worked. We drew level 5 minutes in on a great effort by my striker to beat their to DC's to a cross and nod the ball into the far bottom corner. We then took the lead from a corner from a near post header. Things then took a turn for the worse as one of my DC's got injured. That paid dividends for them as they equalized right away after the substitution. 2-2 with 25 minutes to play. At about 75 minutes in we are really starting to take the play to them, my AP slips a ball between their DC's to my ST who slots home a great finish. Then with about 5 minutes to play and trying to see out the game, they have a free kick from about 35 yards out. Its floated in but my Hulking substitute DC (who is 6'7", heading 14 and jumping 20) clears it and we start the counter. We have numbers and it is crossed all the way to the far post where my AP has made a run and he volleys it home, what a finish! We head to the second leg with a 4-2 lead.

Match #4 away, BSP Playoff Semi-final 2nd leg vs (I cant remember). We start off with my standard away tactic which is a tad more defensive! We do well limiting chances but they are really taking the game to us. They get their first break through at about 30 minutes with a well crafted goal from a cross, 4-3 on aggregate. They come down again and bury another chance 2 minutes later, 4-4 on aggregate. Just before halftime we have a corner, leads to a goal mouth scramble where my ST bangs home a loose ball, 5-4 on aggregate. After half-time they are really trying to get a goal. We counter and their RB has to foul my left winger. From the free kick, another goal mouth scramble, this time one of my DC's get to the loose ball and smashes it home. 6-4 on aggregate. Then with about 5 minutes to go my substitute Right winger beats a couple of their defenders plays the ball across to my CM and he drives it home in the far corner. Yes, we are into the final!

Match #5 BSP Playoff final vs Ebbsfleet. An expected 38,000 walk up crowd at Wembley is expected. I see $$$$ in my future! Anyway we start off slowly as do they but I am worried that they have a great record scoring goals. I was right to be worried as they had the best chance but hammered it off the cross bar - still 0-0. We then had our first chance when my left winger drifted inside, received the ball at about 25 yards out, and started dribbling towards the left corner flag. For some reason he stopped at the top of the box, the defender over committed and he smashed the off the far post and in. WOW - i will take credit for this goal as it was obviously my tactics. 1-0 is how we started the second half. Pretty even affair and on about 65 minutes my left winger pops up again in the middle off the field and smacks the ball at net from about 20 yards. Their keeper should have done better but I will take the 2-0 lead. They scraped one back but it was too late as we won the promotion battle! Up to League 2. What a relief to be out of the BS. On a personal note, this is the longest I have spent in the BS N/S & Premier. 6 seasons in total, where as previous FM's it was 2-3 years max. Makes this promotion all the more enjoyable!

No rest though, as we have the FA Trophy Final in 3 days!

Match #6 - FA Trophy Final vs Stalybridge. I cant say this enough but we dominated from the outset. we were 3-0 up at half-time. One from a corner from my rather large DC. One from my ST who scored with his head. And the third from my AP with a great feed from my ST. What a half. We took our foot off the gas in the second half and by the time they scored it was all but over! The second FA Trophy of my career. It is always nice to win trophies!

That's it. We move up to league Two as Trophy winners. I am extremely happy with the core of my squad. I will strengthen where needed but I do have a lot of players returning.

My striker finished second in league scoring with 29 goals and my left winger had 17 assists.

Jojo - looks like I will be in the same league as Oxford. What battles those matches will be!

@jayare35 - Excellent work m8. I've had quite some trouble in the BSP so far. I started out with a too defensive approach, and the lack of goals has taken it's toll on the players. Especially the strikers have been looking extremely pale so far, and it's only now, half way through the season, that the play is starting to come together. I'm currently sitting in a very disappointing 8th place, but with almost 20 games left in the season, I'm hoping we can get back to a playoff spot.

Your success makes me even more determined to see this through! :)

Which players from Sweden/Belgium did you obtain on free transfers?

So far I've signed 6 players from Sweden, but the most notable are Muhamed Ramadan (has played for Helsingborgs IF), Liridon Kalludra (has played for Ljungskile SK), Sebastian Johansson (has played for IFK Göteborg, Halmstad BK, and others), George Ekeh (has played for Syrianska FC), as well as a GK and a DR that I don't remember the names of. I'm at work now, so can't check. :)

As for my progress, the second season of the save (13/14) was a huge disappointment. We started out reasonably well in the BSP, but all throughout the season we had trouble scoring goals (which led to a downwards spiral with loss in confidence), and in the end we finished 10 points from a playoff spot. :(

In the offseason during summer '14, I've reshaped my team to suit a 3-5-2 formation (since I'm very comfortable playing that formation, I decided to stick to what I know best :D), and hopefully my experience using that approach can help me overt any such problems next season. My goal is to at least reach the playoffs, and I've made that perfectly clear to the board as well as some of the players (who started to moan about moving to bigger clubs). So... no excuses this time! :)

Fabian - good luck this season. Hope the change works well and the team responds to your lofty goals. I went through the same things, not scoring, inconsistent play, and lofty goals.

Thanks. I've played a little bit over half of the season so far, and after a shaky start things are beginning to settle in. We're winning our fair share of matches and the defense is rock solid. At the moment we're in 3rd, but with only two points less than the leaders, I'm not too fussed about it at this point. The most important thing is that there's starting to open a gap between us and the teams below the playoff spots. My best striker (that most of the attacks go through) picked up a 3 month injury early on, but I managed to bring in a couple of young strikers from Championship teams on short term loans, and they've filled the gap in style.

Really enjoying this save, and hopefully I'll be able to keep the tempo up and reach the big leagues before too long. :)

Update - I have started my first season in League 2 quite well. First match was in the Capital One Cup - we lost in penalties to League 1 outfit Crewe. Not a bad performance by us with a new signing scoring a cracking goal.

We then started great in the league with a 2-1-1 record. We then moved up to 4th after a couple more decent results. But dropped back down to earth and sit 9th in table midway through September.

I signed a couple of players right at the end of the transfer window - an 18 yr old defender and a 29 yr old midfielder. Looks to be 2 great additions to the squad. I will say though now that I can look at way more players - I still am only able to scout the UK but because of my nationality I have a plethora of young North Americans willing to come over and play for me! They cant get WP though but still happy to see it.

Finances are overrated (in FM not real life) go for promotion...finances will follow. Plus if you buy, develop, and sell...you can give yourself a couple years on solid financial ground!

Selling to Scottish and Irish leagues willing to overpay as well.

Nice going jay.

My third season was incredibly frustrating. We started out well, battled through some rough patches in the middle of the season, only to finish poorly in a congested season finish that featured away games to almost all the top teams, and the end result: 1p from playoff. :(

After a lot of swearing and headshaking, I went in to analyze the losses a bit more in detail, and realized what the problem was. The start on my 4th year (3rd in BSP) has been positive, and I'm now enjoying the save again, but it was awfully close I tossed the towel in at the end of the previous season... :)

On a sidenote, I've found a regen in Linfield in the Danske Bank Premiership in Northern Ireland, and he is one of the best 17 year olds I've ever seen in FM. He also happens to be the exact player type I've been looking for (hard working midfield general type player). Only trouble is "he has no intention of signing" for my team! :mad:

I've added him to my shortlist indefinately and will continue to bug him until he's mine!

Jojo - I downloaded your tactic to take a look at it. See what roles you set up and such. I did not use it however. My advice is stick to one tactic and just tweak it during the year no need to make drastic changes during the season. I think whatever your plans on player wise is a good move. My advice - Keep Jamie Cook - get him to tutor your best youth as he has some fantastic PPM's that he can pass down to young players.

FYI - once jamie cook retired, I immediately hired him as my head of youth development. Our youth setup is not great but he is an icon at the club and he can train some great PPM's.

Fabian - consistency is the real challenge in the Semi-Professional stage. That's the hardest thing to achieve and the most frustrating. I have crushed a bottom team, beaten a top team, lost narrowly to a league 1 team and been crushed by a lower league team. It is incredibly frustrating. Remember how frustrated you are at the end when you narrowly miss out on the playoffs - it's even better when you win in the playoffs...that's what keeps me coming back. I find myself cursing the ref, my players and myself when things arent going well but that one win, over your rivals or to gain promotion is really what makes this game fantastic!

Keep at it my friend...you will see that it is worth the time you put in!

Archived