FM13: Oxford City F.C. Fight to be top Ox

'Welcome to the Oxford City F.C Thread for Football Manager 2013'.

Oxford_City_F.C._logo.png

History

The club was formed in 1882 and soon became the leading club in Oxfordshire, winning the FA Amateur Cup in 1906, before joining the Isthmian League the following year.

In the latter half of the 20th century, the club went into decline and soon fell behind Headington United after that club turned professional in 1949. An attempt was made to return the club to success in 1979 when it became a limited company and later when the legendary Bobby Moore was appointed manager with his former West Ham United team-mate Harry Redknapp as his assistant.

The club reached its lowest point in 1988 when they were evicted from their White House Ground by their landlords Brasenose College, who sold it off for housing. Forced to resign from the Isthmian League, the club did not return to senior football until 1990 when based at Cutteslowe Park, they entered the South Midlands League Division One, winning promotion in their first season. They returned to the Isthmian League in 1993 when they also moved to their current ground. The club continued to climb through the divisions of that League during the 1990s and reached the final of the FA Vase in 1995.

Highlights of the next decade included two years in the Isthmian League Premier Division and an epic FA Cup run in 1999–2000 which culminated in a three-game battle against Wycombe Wanderers in the First Round proper, eventually being edged out 1–0 at Oxford United's Manor Ground. The first replay had been abandoned due to a fire alarm just as the penalty shootout was about to start;[1] this remains the only FA Cup tie to go to a second replay since the FA ruled all ties should be settled after a maximum of two games. This rule change also means that City's other FA Cup record – the six games needed before losing to Alvechurch in 1971–72 – will probably never be beaten.

In 2005 the club were relegated back to the South Midlands League, but were promoted at the first time of asking under manager Andy Lyne, winning both the Championship and the Premier Cup.

In November 2006 Lyne resigned as manager to become the club's Director of Football. He was succeeded by Justin Merritt as Player Manager with former Oxford United player Mike Ford as his assistant. Merritt subsequently stepped down in August 2009 and Ford took over as manager.

On 3 May 2008, Oxford City were promoted from the Southern League Division One South and West with a 1–0 win over Uxbridge.

The club currently run over 30 teams under the chairmanship of Brian Cox, with sides for men, women, boys and girls.

In the club's first season in the Premier Division they finished in 6th place, narrowly missing out on the playoffs.

In 2011/2012 Oxford City finished 2nd after narrowly missing out on the title. They won the playoff final against AFC Totton to gain promotion to Blue Square Bet North for the first time in their history.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Team

First Team

oxfordcityplayers.png

Reserve Team

oxfordcityreservesplaye.png

Staff

oxfordcitymembers.png

New staff would be a good idea but no rush as the main one's are at the club already.

Key Players

Daniel Platt

Wayne Blossom

Chris Willmott

Felipe Barcelos

Steve Basham

New life with City

Board Expectations

Avoid relegation- Transfer Budget £1k Wage Budget £3.3k pw

Mid-table- Transfer Budget £1k Wage Budget £3.5k pw

Top half finish- Transfer Budget £1.5k Wage Budget £3.6k pw

I feel with the right players brought in any of these are possible, but I would go with the easier of the three being avoid relegation.

Formations

The best formations would probably be either a 4-3-1-2 or for people who enjoy wide play a 4-2-3-1, if you have success with any other formations let me know and I will update accordingly.

Tips

First of all apart from Wayne Blossom I would release all players on a non contract as none are really that great, I would then give new contracts to all of the key players noted above and whoever else is in need of a new one.

Players to bring in would be Sam Parish.Andrea Zola and Robbie Kember these are the main three I would get as all are free and at least good for a back up role,

I would then ask the board for a parent club to loan players from to help fill some gaps that may be left.

Final Words

I hope you enjoy a successful career with Oxford City, I am the Oxford City researcher so if you find any thing wrong please post in the data forum and I will take a look.

Also I would like to hear any tips you guys may have for making life with City easier and more fun.

THE CITY IS OURS!!!

Thanks SRL88.

I have just gone through the worst pre-season I have had on any Fm, My results are.

Oxford City 1:3 Swansea reserves

Oxford City 4:1 Abingdon town

Oxford City 3:7 Didcot

Oxford City 1:2 Welling

Hopefully once my new signings settle we will start winning, we have over 50% possession and 10+ shots but just cant score for the life of us, next is our first league game against Chester.

Oxford City 1-1 Chester, great result feel a win would have been a fair result as we were all over them but as they are a top team in this league I will take it.

I am now 12 games into the season and going much better than I thought I would be.

bluesquarebetnorthoverv.png

Fourth in the league and going well was first before a loss to then bottom of the league Workington.

oxfordcityfixturessched.png

Some good win's and questionable losses but I am pleased with the start to the season, the F.A cup is going very well managed to get into the first round :D

englishfacupoverviewsta.png

Leyton Orient in the first round should bring in a good amount of money, being at home is even better hoping for an upset to take us into the second round.

Will put up transfers later.

Good Start: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/jamie182_2006/York.jpg

Edit: 2nd Leg: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/jamie182_2006/York2.jpg

2 of my key on loan players have gone back to their parent clubs before the playoff final, ridiculous!

Bollocks: http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i301/jamie182_2006/Macclesfield.jpg

We just didn't show up :(

right do you reckon this squad is good enough to gain promotion? first 3 games ive got 2 points....

GK rhys taylor

Daniel platt

RB jordan francis

sam long

LB paul stonehouse

CB

billy tsovolos

chris willmott

jack mills

adam leoroyd

ML andrea zola

jamie cook

MR harry agombar

liam wilkinson

CM liam malone

darren pond

albi skendi

jacob walcott

michael lyon

ST

felipe barcelos

steve basham

stern john

vincent pericard

what you thinking then? personally think its ****.

right do you reckon this squad is good enough to gain promotion? first 3 games ive got 2 points....

GK rhys taylor

Daniel platt

RB jordan francis

sam long

LB paul stonehouse

CB

billy tsovolos

chris willmott

jack mills

adam leoroyd

ML andrea zola

jamie cook

MR harry agombar

liam wilkinson

CM liam malone

darren pond

albi skendi

jacob walcott

michael lyon

ST

felipe barcelos

steve basham

stern john

vincent pericard

what you thinking then? personally think its ****.

As the are of drowning said abit weak in the middle, try and play Barcelos just in behind Basham it works well.

Archived