FM13: Southampton F.C. - Reasons to be cheerful - Part 3!

Matthew Le God

Good start, I have just 1 year left of my 'development period', so this year is going to be crucial.

Litmamen was a very good tutor for me, he's influenced JWP's personality a lot.

I'm presuming you are on the database update? Le Fondre must have got a boost by the sounds of it.

As for goalkeepers, Boruc served me well enough for the first two seasons, I got Ben Foster in seasons 3 to be first choice and a tutor, but it's looking like his tutee has grown so rapidly hye may find himself on the bench this year.

Surprised you haven't sold that many, most people have sold a good 6 or 7 from the squad.

My general philosophy for the first transfer window is that I only make a couple additions; after all, the club has technically spent all the money it wanted to spend during the window already by that point. Plus, at least for the first year I like having a mostly original squad that allows me to see if there are any players that outperform their attributes.

I'm not sure how Le Fondre looked before the patch, but on my game at the moment he has 17 Finishing, 15 Composure and Heading, 13 OTB, 14 Pace, 16 Acceleration and 19 Penalty Taking, perfect attributes for a striker to be honest. At 26 there's probably still room for a couple additional points to Pace and certainly room for his mental stats to improve; Composure and Off The Ball specifically, so I'm not surprised he's scoring so many.

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My general philosophy for the first transfer window is that I only make a couple additions; after all, the club has technically spent all the money it wanted to spend during the window already by that point. Plus, at least for the first year I like having a mostly original squad that allows me to see if there are any players that outperform their attributes.

I'm not sure how Le Fondre looked before the patch, but on my game at the moment he has 17 Finishing, 15 Composure and Heading, 13 OTB, 14 Pace, 16 Acceleration and 19 Penalty Taking, perfect attributes for a striker to be honest. At 26 there's probably still room for a couple additional points to Pace and certainly room for his mental stats to improve; Composure and Off The Ball specifically, so I'm not surprised he's scoring so many.

Sounds like he had a boost, not that I'd know his attributes off the top of my head. Consirdering like your game has done very well IRL despite Reading's struggles he deserves his boost I reckon. What sort of formation do you play? as he doesn't seem to be the lone striker type.

Fair enough I suppose, you could set budgets to zero and then just raise an extra frunds through sales, don't think many people have bought that many first window but shifted a lot out. Thinks I sold Chaplow, De Ridder, Do Prado, Hooiveld, Puncheon, Richardson, Butterfield and Davis first window (although I've heard Puncheon has had a boost post patch)

Can't really recommend any Strikers, I've used Lambert and Rodriguez the first 3 seasons and have just bought Rondon for a whopping £30 million, who despite having 16 or 17 for pretty much every striker stat you can think off has only done ok. Jelle Vossen was very good in my other game, good tutor as well. (Can't seem to buy an 'older' player anymore without the baility to be a decent tutor)

I can't recommend Howedes highly enough (for CB), cost about £14 million (I think he was listed second season) but high average ratings, excellent tutor and is my captain.

I'm still unsure on whether to buy Le Fondre or not, I'm now doubting whether he'd fit in to my system. I sent my scouts out looking at Kweuke and they also found a player called Yannick N'Djeng [Click me for attributes] from Sion. He's only worth £1.1m so I can probably get him for £2.5m, whereas Le Fondre would cost around £5m and Kweuke around £4.5m.

EDIT: As I went in for Kweuke for £4m, Swansea offered £6,107,000 (Which, I assume, is their whole transfer budget) which is out of my price range. They seem desperate to climb up the table and are going to spend to do so. N'Djeng could be on his way to me for as little as £3m!

I'm still unsure on whether to buy Le Fondre or not, I'm now doubting whether he'd fit in to my system. I sent my scouts out looking at Kweuke and they also found a player called Yannick N'Djeng [Click me for attributes] from Sion. He's only worth £1.1m so I can probably get him for £2.5m, whereas Le Fondre would cost around £5m and Kweuke around £4.5m.

EDIT: As I went in for Kweuke for £4m, Swansea offered £6,107,000 (Which, I assume, is their whole transfer budget) which is out of my price range. They seem desperate to climb up the table and are going to spend to do so. N'Djeng could be on his way to me for as little as £3m!

He's a good player, but I remember buying him in another save I had and he's a petulant little swine who doesn't appeal to the fans either. They were not happy I bought him (I was at Ajax)

He's a good player, but I remember buying him in another save I had and he's a petulant little swine who doesn't appeal to the fans either. They were not happy I bought him (I was at Ajax)

Who, N'Djeng? He's been fantastic for me, scoring 3 goals in his first 6 games for us, with a couple of assists. Weirdly, Reading transfer listed Le Fondre for £1.7m on deadline day (then bought Rasmus Falk with the money) so I bit their hands off! First game after he signed I played 4-3-3 with Le Fondre, N'Djeng and Rodriguez upfront, winning 4-1 with all three strikers getting a goal and an assist each, which was pleasing. I think if results go my way I could sneak in to 8th at the end of the season, but anything above 12th would be brilliant I feel.

Need help southampton fm people... I'm just starting my 6th season, ive finished 7th, 8th, 9th, 7th and 8th, got Europa Cup last season, got to 2nd knockout of europa, lost in the final of the fa cup and finished 8th, each year ive received a max transfer budget of around 20mil, but in my monthly board update it would say we expect the finances to deteriorate, and this year i got a set budet of 8.5 mil going up to a max of 14mil... i would like to know has anyone in their 5/6/7th onwards seasons seen their finances go down? does anyone know the reason why? also ive been getting taxed £22 mill a season, is this normal? please let me know your feedback

Just three games left in my SECOND season. Im one point off top spot and am in the Champions league final against Bayern having beaten Real Madrid in the semi's. I pretty sure i have created some sort of super tactics but its just a 4-4-2 (classic) switching to a 4-2-3-1 when that isnt working.

My 4-4-2 is just a slight tweak of this tactic (V3) in this thread. http://community.sigames.com/showthr...0%A2-%E2%80%A2

My 4-2-3-1 with two FBs (auto), CB (Limited) CB (Covering), Ball winning midfielder (Defend) Attacking playmaker (support) Winger, Attacking Playmaker, Inside forward (all set to attack), Poacher (attacker)

Its probably not a super tactic instead its probably down to the players and the fact they are both at nearly 100% familiarity - which is very important i think. Keep faith with two tactics people! Try not to buy too many players in each window. Limit it to 3, 5 max and blend players in slow - also i have noticed that you need your players to speak the same language. I obv stick with English as first choice when buying players but choose Portuguese as my second as i have a few Brazilians. This helps too i believe in players gelling into squads quicker -which makes sense. After a year or so they should have learnt english as a basic language.

Its going to be a very tense last few matches to achieve an insane double to add to the unlikely FA Cup i won in my first year.

This southampton team is really fun. Its certainly helping me to achieve or the game achievements through steam :-)

Squad:

Ospina

Clyne - Burdisso - Kirchhoff - Shaw

Nainggolan - Waynama

Zaha ----------------- Ramirez

P Cisse - Ademilson

Subs: Butland, Wellington Nem, Scheinderlain, Cork, C Clark, Okore, Kweuke

Others in squad: Eikrem, Masiela, Lallana, Fonte, Adyran, Ward-Prowse

Next season plans: Ive already added Eikrem and Masiela (LB - spelling?) to the unwanted list. Shaw and Ward Prowse will hopefully have a break through season to replace them. I have also added Kweuke. He just hasnt hit it off here. I have my eye on Destro OR Rodrigo as a replacement instead and maybe Campbell too from Newcastle as one for the future. Lambert is leaving on a bosman - which is a shame but his legs have gone as he enters his twilight years. What a servant though. Not too sure who else i want to buy - maybe a player maker like Isco although he would cost a bomb, maybe Bernard instead. Someone like Vico, Vadillo or Drage to add competition on the wings and maybe corchia too cos im a little light with right sided Full backs. Who knows? Maybe some youth will come through or Camoli will buy me a quality regen...

Need help southampton fm people... I'm just starting my 6th season, ive finished 7th, 8th, 9th, 7th and 8th, got Europa Cup last season, got to 2nd knockout of europa, lost in the final of the fa cup and finished 8th, each year ive received a max transfer budget of around 20mil, but in my monthly board update it would say we expect the finances to deteriorate, and this year i got a set budet of 8.5 mil going up to a max of 14mil... i would like to know has anyone in their 5/6/7th onwards seasons seen their finances go down? does anyone know the reason why? also ive been getting taxed £22 mill a season, is this normal? please let me know your feedback

Ok so heres a few ideas:

- Finish higher and compete in the champions league and you will sell out more stadiums and receive more tv and competition money. Selling out stadiums more frequently prompts stadium expansions.

- Sign less players and use installments.

- Keep an eye on your finances - you can see projections and just make sure you make some sort of profit after all outgoings.

- Be careful when signing players - employ a max wage, never do highest earner!, and make sure the yearly wage rise is something you can get away with not giving. Use team of the year bonuses and agent fees to tempt players to sign instead. If they are being greedy - sell them on. An unhappy player lowers morale and doesn't perform to his full potential on the pitch.

- Find a parent club in asia or america to boost shirt sells etc (usually ask for one when you get champs league football)

- Southampton have an underwriter chairman so he would bale you out in extreme circumstances.

Appreciate this Addave, i read that there was a bug with the taxes, and I had already started my game when I read this, do you think this could be a reason? do you think if i dont get champ league my money is going to get going down?

Appreciate this Addave, i read that there was a bug with the taxes, and I had already started my game when I read this, do you think this could be a reason? do you think if i dont get champ league my money is going to get going down?

Probably - if your player wages are rising. Champs league is where the money is at.

Ok so bare in mind this was before the update so wellington nem had a minimum release of 3.5m, adyran -950K, Admeilson -5m. Along with them too i added Okore (2m), Clark (3.5m), Eikrem (1.2m), Masiela (500K) and Zaha (9m) - I changed my minimum expectation in Jan and got more money so thats how i did it.

Finished 4th so got champs league money

2nd season bought Butland (3.5m) Waynama (8m) Burdisso (3.5m) - Kirchhoff (8m) - Nainggolan (10m) - Cisse (8m), Kweuke (5m) - Again i raised my minimum expectations to title challenger and got a cash injection - just make sure you meet your expectations - i think i have this season thankfully with the prem title and champs league in my sights with three games left ;-)

Ok so bare in mind this was before the update so wellington nem had a minimum release of 3.5m, adyran -950K, Admeilson -5m. Along with them too i added Okore (2m), Clark (3.5m), Eikrem (1.2m), Masiela (500K) and Zaha (9m) - I changed my minimum expectation in Jan and got more money so thats how i did it.

Finished 4th so got champs league money

2nd season bought Butland (3.5m) Waynama (8m) Burdisso (3.5m) - Kirchhoff (8m) - Nainggolan (10m) - Cisse (8m), Kweuke (5m) - Again i raised my minimum expectations to title challenger and got a cash injection - just make sure you meet your expectations - i think i have this season thankfully with the prem title and champs league in my sights with three games left ;-)

Unsettling players by endorsing them etc usually prompts them to hand in transfer requests too. Useful tip. Doesnt buy you any manager friends though. Strangely on the flip side regularly praises managers of teams you wants players from prompts them to accept lower bids from you than anyone else. And obv praises your transfer targets at every possible opportunity helps too.

@Addave, I see you have Ospina in Goal, what's he like? I've signed him on a pre-contract and he'll join me at the start of the second season, how much are you paying him a week, out of interest?

Just got to March and I've had easily the best set of youths come through I've ever seen. 3 players considered Potentially Leading PL players (4.5 or 5*), and a further 2/3 more considered good PL players (3.5 or 4*) I'll upload some images shortly!

Who, N'Djeng? He's been fantastic for me, scoring 3 goals in his first 6 games for us, with a couple of assists. Weirdly, Reading transfer listed Le Fondre for £1.7m on deadline day (then bought Rasmus Falk with the money) so I bit their hands off! First game after he signed I played 4-3-3 with Le Fondre, N'Djeng and Rodriguez upfront, winning 4-1 with all three strikers getting a goal and an assist each, which was pleasing. I think if results go my way I could sneak in to 8th at the end of the season, but anything above 12th would be brilliant I feel.

Yeah, sorry, N'djeng. Maybe his personality has been altered in FM13 but definitely on 12 he was a moaning wee so and so...

Thats some good business there. LeFondre is not someone i've looked at. I started my game pre 13.3 update and i've not bothered restarting at all. Im in 2019 now and think i'd struggle to restart again.

My best result of the season so far. Dominating teams a lot now.

EE3CFDD68F6BFF1163A21D969589312241E51E42

Think the tax bug was fixed in the patch before last so only games started before any patches would be effected by this.

My recommendation is buy youth players for cheap and develop them, saves transfer funds in the future. Use your scouts (as many as you can have) and get a good Dof and have him find young players (but make sure you confirm).

Plus try to get Champions league football, it will boost your finances by like £25 million if you get to the knock out stages.

Watch wages, get players to sign 5 year deals and if they come asking for a new deal say they have plenty of time left on their current one (95% of players for me have been happy with this response) and as Addave said add incentive based clauses on to get players to agree to deals. Use the 'lock' button on certain clauses and the agent's seem more willing to negotiate lower deals. Avoid minimum fee release clauses, match highest earner clauses and wage after (international or league games) clauses. Those will bump your wages up in no time. Add team of the year, goal etc bonuses, yearly wage rise is ok if small (5 or 10%) Also a high loyalty bonus seems to work well.

Finally try to get the Stadium expanded, on my game St Mary's is now a 52,000 seater, so for home champions league games I get like £2 million in gate receipts alone.

@Addave, I see you have Ospina in Goal, what's he like? I've signed him on a pre-contract and he'll join me at the start of the second season, how much are you paying him a week, out of interest?

Just got to March and I've had easily the best set of youths come through I've ever seen. 3 players considered Potentially Leading PL players (4.5 or 5*), and a further 2/3 more considered good PL players (3.5 or 4*) I'll upload some images shortly!

Hes great. I rotate him and Butland. Butland seems to save more pens but Opsina is better at one on ones etc. Hes great for free. Not sure how much im paying him. At a guess - around 20K.

Southampton is top quality for youth. Havent had too many regens pop up in my youth teams yet but hopefully come the start of my third season i will OR Comoli will find some that i can develop.

Think the tax bug was fixed in the patch before last so only games started before any patches would be effected by this.

My recommendation is buy youth players for cheap and develop them, saves transfer funds in the future. Use your scouts (as many as you can have) and get a good Dof and have him find young players (but make sure you confirm).

Plus try to get Champions league football, it will boost your finances by like £25 million if you get to the knock out stages.

Watch wages, get players to sign 5 year deals and if they come asking for a new deal say they have plenty of time left on their current one (95% of players for me have been happy with this response) and as Addave said add incentive based clauses on to get players to agree to deals. Use the 'lock' button on certain clauses and the agent's seem more willing to negotiate lower deals. Avoid minimum fee release clauses, match highest earner clauses and wage after (international or league games) clauses. Those will bump your wages up in no time. Add team of the year, goal etc bonuses, yearly wage rise is ok if small (5 or 10%) Also a high loyalty bonus seems to work well.

Finally try to get the Stadium expanded, on my game St Mary's is now a 52,000 seater, so for home champions league games I get like £2 million in gate receipts alone.

Well said tajj - especially the confirm signings bit from your Director of Football. Sometimes they find great young players although it helps to see them before they have signed as sometime they get them wrong. Comoli and Futre are the best DOF's. Avoid Cantona like the plague - lol.

I'm just looking at mine now, In this years youth intake alone, I have had two left backs, one 4* and one 4.5* potential, come through. In addition to Shaw (who i'll probably train to play more attacking, as Bale now does) this could cause problems in future, with 3 players hopefully with the potential to be world-class. Not a bad problem to have, mind you!

@Gary_Parker

Wow no shots! thats good. Seems youve got a great tactic. Has you OR anyone tried these challenges on FM? I may give some a go with my tactics ive created that are doing wonders at Southampton (so far two seasons in and possibly (fingers crossed) i will have won FA, League and Champions league!!!)

Im sure i can find this BUT just to make sure how do you see the potential off all your youth players on one screen? can this be done. I havent had a look at mine..perhaps i should with the reputation southampton have with youth on all this thread saves!

FAO @D0bi

Im sure i can find this BUT just to make sure how do you see the potential off all your youth players on one screen? can this be done. I havent had a look at mine..perhaps i should with the reputation southampton have with youth on all this thread saves!

FAO @D0bi

Like so?:

Untitled-1_zps07ee3007.png

If so, Navigate to whichever squad you want, in this image it's my Youth Candidates Squad. Then, where it says "Players" and usually a drop down box with General Info on, click on that and select Assistant Reports.

Like so?:

Untitled-1_zps07ee3007.png

If so, Navigate to whichever squad you want, in this image it's my Youth Candidates Squad. Then, where it says "Players" and usually a drop down box with General Info on, click on that and select Assistant Reports.

Thanks, too easy.

I do often wonder though what levels of current ability and potential ability prompt the star level ratings. I know it has something to do with saff knowledge but maybe a 5 star potential is anything above say a potential level of 150 when ideally i would like it to be above 170 that way you can more sure on who might be the next ronaldo or messi......just thinking out loud here...

Thanks, too easy.

The simplest things are often overlooked!

Now, on to my (hopefully) world-beating NewGens, starting from the top and working down.

Bellotti

GlynBelloti_zpsb0affa67.png

For me, Bellotti is probably more of a Central/Limited Defender rather than a full-back, so I'll probably retrain him. Could do with a bit more pace and positioning, but he has years ahead of him for that.

Ade Jones

AdeJones_zps40564402.png

A good spread of mental and physical stats, let down slightly by his technical stats. However, he has time on his side and a whole lot of pace. I smell a similar player Walcott in the making.

Jack Long

JackLong_zps315d56d8.png

Frankly unbelievable mental and technical attributes, I just need to heavily up his physical stats.

Graham Reeves

GrahamReeves_zps1aeaf053.png

Solid attributes in the right areas, he'll need a lot of work but can definitely improve enough to earn his potential.

Will Travers

WillTravers_zps102b531f.png

Definitely going to become an attacking wing-back for Southampton, in the vein of Luke Shaw. I love his determination, work rate and stamina!

Ross Thomson

RossThompson_zps1877ec1d.png

Strikers who can't finish seems to be a theme with Southampton this year! Thomson looks like he'll need a fair amount of work to become anything half-decent in my eyes.

Thanks, too easy.

I do often wonder though what levels of current ability and potential ability prompt the star level ratings. I know it has something to do with saff knowledge but maybe a 5 star potential is anything above say a potential level of 150 when ideally i would like it to be above 170 that way you can more sure on who might be the next ronaldo or messi......just thinking out loud here...

Depends on the league you are in and the players you have, just use the star rating as a general guide, the description is the more important factor.

A 5 star PA player for Saints won't neccessarily be a 5 star PA player for Man Utd because Utd's squad will be much better and have CA.

So a coach will say stuff like 'decent premier league player' or 'leading premier league player' or 'potential to be one of the best players at the club'. They will also compare them to your established players so this gives a good guide of their potential.

Scouts will also say things like' sign whatver the cost'. It's all dependant on their JPA rating of course (same for coaches), but if a high JPA scout (or two, always helpful to have a second opinion) says 'sign whatever the cost then you can be pretty certain that player is in the 180+ PA bracket.

(BTW as a tip any comparisons to Gaston are good, he has the highest fixed PA in the Saints squad, not going to tell you what it is, but when he hits his PA, if your coaches or scouts reckon a player will become as good or better than him you know you have a player)

PA is all good though but it's up to you and the player's personality whether they reach it. As much high level game time as possible, tutoring to raise that professionalism and training focus to use that PA gain wisely.

I'm just looking at mine now, In this years youth intake alone, I have had two left backs, one 4* and one 4.5* potential, come through. In addition to Shaw (who i'll probably train to play more attacking, as Bale now does) this could cause problems in future, with 3 players hopefully with the potential to be world-class. Not a bad problem to have, mind you!

This guy is still the best youth intake regen I have had acrros three Saints games and about 16 seasons:-

10cqczn.png

Depends on the league you are in and the players you have, just use the star rating as a general guide, the description is the more important factor.

A 5 star PA player for Saints won't neccessarily be a 5 star PA player for Man Utd because Utd's squad will be much better and have CA.

So a coach will say stuff like 'decent premier league player' or 'leading premier league player' or 'potential to be one of the best players at the club'. They will also compare them to your established players so this gives a good guide of their potential.

Scouts will also say things like' sign whatver the cost'. It's all dependant on their JPA rating of course (same for coaches), but if a high JPA scout (or two, always helpful to have a second opinion) says 'sign whatever the cost then you can be pretty certain that player is in the 180+ PA bracket.

(BTW as a tip any comparisons to Gaston are good, he has the highest fixed PA in the Saints squad, not going to tell you what it is, but when he hits his PA, if your coaches or scouts reckon a player will become as good or better than him you know you have a player)

PA is all good though but it's up to you and the player's personality whether they reach it. As much high level game time as possible, tutoring to raise that professionalism and training focus to use that PA gain wisely.

This guy is still the best youth intake regen I have had acrros three Saints games and about 16 seasons:-

10cqczn.png

Wow. i hope i can be as lucky and have someone like him as a regen. What a monster, however like all regens he looks (in appearance) less intimidating than a kitten. I hope in future FM the regens personality comes through more in their avatars. This guy needs a skinhead, stubble, a broken nose and scars!

Southampton born and Southampton fan as well. Note though he's only rated 4 and half stars, at that point I had better players (although he was excellent) The key to him was that he came through with a fairly decent starting CA at 16, think he was rated about 2 stars at the time and came through my first intake in March 2013, so he got game time in the first season as he was a usable defensive mid, but limited in the attacking sense (was essentially an acnhor man).

As he got older and got more game time he developed from a defensive mid into a very good DLP and that was in a game before I focussed any attributes or concentrated that much on training. His creativity, composure etc just shot up. His England appearances also helped, 44 caps at 22 is a lot.

@Gary_Parker

Wow no shots! thats good. Seems youve got a great tactic. Has you OR anyone tried these challenges on FM? I may give some a go with my tactics ive created that are doing wonders at Southampton (so far two seasons in and possibly (fingers crossed) i will have won FA, League and Champions league!!!)

I've never even given FMC or its challenges a worthy look to be honest. I've updated my tactics (you can see the evolution in this thread) from a 4-5-1 with two DMs and two wide midfielders to having one IF to 2 players in the AM/LR roles to a 3 at the back to accommodate my 3 fantastic defenders. Shaw and Clyne now play in the wide mid roles rather than wing/full backs.

Southampton born and Southampton fan as well. Note though he's only rated 4 and half stars, at that point I had better players (although he was excellent) The key to him was that he came through with a fairly decent starting CA at 16, think he was rated about 2 stars at the time and came through my first intake in March 2013, so he got game time in the first season as he was a usable defensive mid, but limited in the attacking sense (was essentially an acnhor man).

As he got older and got more game time he developed from a defensive mid into a very good DLP and that was in a game before I focussed any attributes or concentrated that much on training. His creativity, composure etc just shot up. His England appearances also helped, 44 caps at 22 is a lot.

Outstanding player, i'm looking for someone in that mould myself to build up. My first choice mids are still Morgan and Cork though, going strong at 29 years old with my two regen DMs providing 20 game a season back up :D

Would appreciate some advice, I have a number of 4 1/2 and 5* potential ability players, I put them in my reserves, they range from 16-19, they won the reserve league, but current ability isnt good enough yet to play as 1st team, what is better, sending them out on loan or keeping them in the reserves and giving the odd game in the cup? which effects current ability to rise quickest?

Would appreciate some advice, I have a number of 4 1/2 and 5* potential ability players, I put them in my reserves, they range from 16-19, they won the reserve league, but current ability isnt good enough yet to play as 1st team, what is better, sending them out on loan or keeping them in the reserves and giving the odd game in the cup? which effects current ability to rise quickest?

Unless the club you loan them to has

- Good trainining facilities

- Is at a higher elvel than their current CA.

- and will definitely play them in the first team.

I wouldn't loan them.

Players aged 15-19 are better of at your club, with better training facilites, better coaches, you'll be able to tutor them (get that professionalism up) and then get them as much game time as you can, so cup games, last 20 - 30 minutes of games you are comfortable winning, starts in non-important games or dead rubbers. Also I tend to put them in the first team squad then make them available for the reserves, means they train with your first team.

If they are on loan you can't control their tutoring, PPMs and training. Those for me are key to their deveopment into the type of player you want.

If the get to 20-21 and no longer need tutoring, have learnt some PPMs, but still need game time then a loan might be suitable. Player's that age though should really be pushing for places in your first team squad.

Are you tutoring these guys or speciality training them? If so, I'd keep them in the reserves, but look to give them exposure in both cup competitions and the odd "easier" premier league game. Add in one of them at a time though, don't make wholesale changes.

If you're not, then the "best ones" you should look to offer on loan, maybe just to see who wants them. However, if you're getting first team regular spots with championship clubs or even lower prem clubs, take it if you can afford to lose them from your squad.

Also, if they're English or come from your youth team, you can let them go and they won't affect your quota rules for home grown, the foreign ones are different, depending on where they go and how long they've been with you.

thanks for the feedback both... yeah the problem i'm finding is i have a good 22 so 2 players for each position, giving game time is quite difficult, so the general opinion is then... if around 16-18 keep in reserves with tutoring and training, which is what i have been doing, and if 19-20 (ie i have two 5* goalkeepers from my regens that are 19 and 20) maybe look to send that age bracket on loan? or if possible a few 1st team games...

thanks for the feedback both... yeah the problem i'm finding is i have a good 22 so 2 players for each position, giving game time is quite difficult, so the general opinion is then... if around 16-18 keep in reserves with tutoring and training, which is what i have been doing, and if 19-20 (ie i have two 5* goalkeepers from my regens that are 19 and 20) maybe look to send that age bracket on loan? or if possible a few 1st team games...

Yeh goalkeeper I tend to lean more to the loaning because in reality you can only ever 3 on the go at one club (one first team, one reserve, one youth) so others will struggle to get game time unless you rotate your first team keeper a lot. So if you have two highly promising young keepers I'd have one as back up and get him as many first team games as you can (I tend to give my youth keeper some league games against weaker opposition but with my first choice defence as he'll have some experienced heads around him) and send the other one out on loan, but only if that team is definitely going to play him.

Outfield players though I'd keep them in house as much as possible. If you have too many players then you have to start getting strict with them and asses them.

- What is their path to the first team? If you have a world class defensive mid who is 22, that 17/18 year old defensive mid with decent PA might never get in the first team for 10 years.

- Is my 27 year old back up right back that much better than my 18 year old youth propsect right back? could I cash in on my older player and at the same time create a space for my promising youth to get more game time.

- What are the player's personalities and current attributes like, are they going to beocme the player I need, yes that guy has high PA, but despite all that tutoring he's still not a good personality. That striker has high corners, long throws and marking, is that wasted CA?, or this striker has a technique of 5, he's never going to get that high enough etc.

- Can you re-train the player? That guy is a good DM but his attributes could also make a good right back and I'm weak there.

If you have too many young prospects then it might be worth selling some, focussing on the elite ones that will become your first teamers.

Choose the ones with the best combinations of personality, PA, positions you need and starting attributes. Like I said players who are 20/21 should be knocking on the door of the first team, they should have good personalities and be ready for a defined role in your team (no point grooming that player as wing back if you enver play wingbacks, or that striker who's a top class poacher but you play one striker). If they aren't then it might be better to cash in on them.

I think the more obvious question is, are these players expected to replace your current squad players. Do you believe they'll be better than your first teams in 1-2 years. Or do you believe your first team squad can go on for years unchanged still. If its the former, look to start nurturing them into the squad regularly and aim to have them replace a current squad player in a year or so, or if its the latter, you might want to think about cashing in on a player who's not realistically going to better your squad.

For example, I have two midfielders who are 23 years old, both internationals for their countries and both playing 2nd fiddle to Morgan and Cork. I've got a further two younger mids in the reserves of 19/20 years old. I believe they could become just as good as Morgan and Cork, but I also think they've got a few years left in them too. So the consideration to who I might have to sell becomes likely. Do I let the younger mids go, or the current backups, or do I let the guys who have won everything with the team leave when they hit 30/31. Tough choices for me and I suspect for yourself too Romers..

the 5* potentials are all at 2* current... how long would it take for them to become 4*?

Throw up a couple of screenshots?

It really does depend on playing time. If you can loan out the older ones to clubs in the same league and they're guaranteed game time, they'll progress a lot faster than sitting in the reserves. Or, give them games.

I'm in my 7th season and my balance is about £160 million. My transfer budgets for the last 3 years have been something like £60 mil, £80 mil and £130 mil all of these are on the lowest expectation (top half finish). I've finished 5th the last 3 seasons and never played in the Champs League. As Tajj said get a good DoF and let him go bidding for youth players. I confirm them then send them out on loan until they are 19, then when they return if they aren't good enough I sell and if they are then they go into the first team squad and I sell one of the older players to make room.

This pretty much always ensures I make a profit each season on player sales, and makes the game more fun and realistic than just buying expensive big name players imo.

the 5* potentials are all at 2* current... how long would it take for them to become 4*?

Really depends on game time (and the quality of that game time) and their personality. Particularly their professionalism and ambition.

Professional and ambitious youngster will develop pretty quickly even without first team games.

Jack Stephens went from this:

2lcweq9.jpg

to this

mh34i0.png

That's in less than 2 years. Marking has gone up by 5, acceleration by 4, pace by 3, jumping by 3, strength by 4 etc. Big changes, again down to tutoring. good training and game time. I reckon he had maybe 6 to 7 games initially first season, then maybe 15 -19 odd second season (not all starts).

When I get my update pictures up you'll see he has become an England International centre back with most of his defensive attributes 16 or better.

So he's gone from 1 star player at best worth £100k to a 3 and half star international player worth £10 million in about 3 years.

Just three games left in my SECOND season. Im one point off top spot and am in the Champions league final against Bayern having beaten Real Madrid in the semi's. I pretty sure i have created some sort of super tactics but its just a 4-4-2 (classic) switching to a 4-2-3-1 when that isnt working.

My 4-4-2 is just a slight tweak of this tactic (V3) in this thread. http://community.sigames.com/showthr...0%A2-%E2%80%A2

My 4-2-3-1 with two FBs (auto), CB (Limited) CB (Covering), Ball winning midfielder (Defend) Attacking playmaker (support) Winger, Attacking Playmaker, Inside forward (all set to attack), Poacher (attacker)

Its probably not a super tactic instead its probably down to the players and the fact they are both at nearly 100% familiarity - which is very important i think. Keep faith with two tactics people! Try not to buy too many players in each window. Limit it to 3, 5 max and blend players in slow - also i have noticed that you need your players to speak the same language. I obv stick with English as first choice when buying players but choose Portuguese as my second as i have a few Brazilians. This helps too i believe in players gelling into squads quicker -which makes sense. After a year or so they should have learnt english as a basic language.

Its going to be a very tense last few matches to achieve an insane double to add to the unlikely FA Cup i won in my first year.

This southampton team is really fun. Its certainly helping me to achieve or the game achievements through steam :-)

Squad:

Ospina

Clyne - Burdisso - Kirchhoff - Shaw

Nainggolan - Waynama

Zaha ----------------- Ramirez

P Cisse - Ademilson

Subs: Butland, Wellington Nem, Scheinderlain, Cork, C Clark, Okore, Kweuke

Others in squad: Eikrem, Masiela, Lallana, Fonte, Adyran, Ward-Prowse

Next season plans: Ive already added Eikrem and Masiela (LB - spelling?) to the unwanted list. Shaw and Ward Prowse will hopefully have a break through season to replace them. I have also added Kweuke. He just hasnt hit it off here. I have my eye on Destro OR Rodrigo as a replacement instead and maybe Campbell too from Newcastle as one for the future. Lambert is leaving on a bosman - which is a shame but his legs have gone as he enters his twilight years. What a servant though. Not too sure who else i want to buy - maybe a player maker like Isco although he would cost a bomb, maybe Bernard instead. Someone like Vico, Vadillo or Drage to add competition on the wings and maybe corchia too cos im a little light with right sided Full backs. Who knows? Maybe some youth will come through or Camoli will buy me a quality regen...

UPDATE:

I WON THE LEAGUE! even though i drew my last game of the season against arsenal 0-0. Ospina saved a pen too! I thought i had blown it but both city and spurs dropped points as well! Phew!

Unfortunately i didnt have the same luck in the Champs league final. I lost in extra time to Bayern.

That gives me more incentive to win it in season 3 though.

Problems going on at Man U. Both Rooney and Phil Jones up for sale and comoli has managed to secure me deals on BOTH. I just need to confirm. These two signing will all but blow my entire transfer budget...

Jones -12.5 mil / 5 upfront.

Rooney - 24 mil / 16 upfront.

I'm not sure about Rooney. Jones is more appealing with age and the fact he can play as a RB, Ball winning midfielder or Centre back, but then again it is Rooney, hes still in his prime and it would mean i have an english force in my team this season (Jones, Rooney, Shaw, Clyne, Lallana, Zaha, Ward Prowse, Cork, Butland) but maybe using the money that i would spend on rooney on rodrigo, maybe isco, bernard, corchia and co is more worthwhile

OR Just save the dosh and go with regens.

What are your views?

Anyone signed rooney around the 28 mark. Is he worth 24 million? Rodrigo better in the poacher role?

Rooney is no poacher, he's very much a second striker so a defensive forward or DLF or treq (too good work rate really for this role though), his ppms will contradict the poacher instructions.

Thanks Tajj. I will probably not sign him then. Both my tactics dont have a DLF or Treq roles and due to that spending 24 and 140K a week on wages isnt worth it, plus Rooney at Southampton in 2015 is abit too unrealistic isnt it! lol. Rodrigo it is..hopefully - if the wants to come.

End of the 2018/19 season. Southampton win the league on the final day, beating Manchester United by 1 point after they drew 1-1 in the Manchester derby while we win emphatically away at Fulham. Champs League final ends 1-1 and a Southampton penalty win (only my 2nd pen win in 9 years i'm sure)

Bombshell comes in with Cork (29), Lallana (31) and Morgan (29) all wanting to leave for a new challenge. I attempt to discuss with them and only Lallana decides to stay. So Cork and Morgan are both offered to clubs and leave for a combined £24m. Young greek born striker also leaves for £20m as he wasn't going to get a lot of games. Youth promoted to take their place and Palito (pictured in posts above) is now my first choice DLP. I'll be looking for both to rejoin the club in their final year as player/coaches if possible. I'm trying to persuade Lallana to become a scout for me.

Fabregas (32), Schweinsteiger (34), David Silva (34) and Lisandro Lopez (36) all brought in as tutors for the season for my latest batch of youngsters.

End of the 2018/19 season. Southampton win the league on the final day, beating Manchester United by 1 point after they drew 1-1 in the Manchester derby while we win emphatically away at Fulham. Champs League final ends 1-1 and a Southampton penalty win (only my 2nd pen win in 9 years i'm sure)

Bombshell comes in with Cork (29), Lallana (31) and Morgan (29) all wanting to leave for a new challenge. I attempt to discuss with them and only Lallana decides to stay. So Cork and Morgan are both offered to clubs and leave for a combined £24m. Young greek born striker also leaves for £20m as he wasn't going to get a lot of games. Youth promoted to take their place and Palito (pictured in posts above) is now my first choice DLP. I'll be looking for both to rejoin the club in their final year as player/coaches if possible. I'm trying to persuade Lallana to become a scout for me.

Fabregas (32), Schweinsteiger (34), David Silva (34) and Lisandro Lopez (36) all brought in as tutors for the season for my latest batch of youngsters.

Fabregas :eek: at 32 he'd surely still a very good player, not just a tutor?

BTW

only Lallana decides to stay
that's good to see, loyal Southampton fan.
Thanks Tajj. I will probably not sign him then. Both my tactics dont have a DLF or Treq roles and due to that spending 24 and 140K a week on wages isnt worth it, plus Rooney at Southampton in 2015 is abit too unrealistic isnt it! lol. Rodrigo it is..hopefully - if the wants to come.

No point changing your entire tactics for one player, especially seeing as he'll ony be at his current level for 3 years or so before starting to decline.

firstly thank you to everyone for your responses, next question i want to understand is how are people using their director of finance for signing players? is this a good feature or a good thing? i'm worried that it takes away the control from the manager of signing players and you might be able to negotiate a cheaper or better deal? how exactly does it work?

2) second question is how do monthly installments work? if i had a budget of 10 million to spend, does it mean i can offer in 24 months 30 million? or is the max offer over the period still have to add up to 10 million:?

Mentally and technically he's quality, physically he's knackered pulling on his shirt prior to a game.

Annoys me that players seem to hit 31/32 and they suddenly start declining unless they have natural fitness of like 18-20. I bet IRL when Fabregas is 32 he'll be as fit as he is now still playing week in week out for a top club.

firstly thank you to everyone for your responses, next question i want to understand is how are people using their director of finance for signing players? is this a good feature or a good thing? i'm worried that it takes away the control from the manager of signing players and you might be able to negotiate a cheaper or better deal? how exactly does it work?

2) second question is how do monthly installments work? if i had a budget of 10 million to spend, does it mean i can offer in 24 months 30 million? or is the max offer over the period still have to add up to 10 million:?

1. If your DoF has decent JPA and particularly JPP attributes then have him go find and sign young players (can't remember exactly what the setting is called) but make sure the final confirmation is left to you, then when the news item pops up about a deal being accepted for some random youth player, get a couple of your scouts to go scout him, then deceide whether to sing that player when you ge the final deals come up.

Another featue of the DoF I use is the 'transfer target' and 'unwanted list' options. If you have an expensive player that you are struglling to get for a decent price add him as a transfer target and see if your DoF can get him at a better price. Same with unwanted players, add them to the unwanted list and the DoF might get better sale values for them (watch the price set options here).

2. Not really sure how monthly installments work, basically they will divide the transfer price and allocate it on a year by year basis so over 48 months it will divide the transfer price by 4 and take a chunk out each month. In FM12 I'm pretty sure it would take the 1/4 price form your transfer budget but then nothing else. I think now it will then take that 1/4 amount of each season's transfer budget.

So if you buy a player with £20 million over 48 months, it will take £5 million off your next 4 year's worth of budgets.

I think.

EDIT: BTW, your assistant manager or head of youth development can also sign and find youth players.

I can answer the first question.

Set staff responsibilities for Director of football to go and buy players and youth talent BUT make sure you are set to finalize the deals - so you can check them out before they arrive, or not arrive - as the case may be, at the club.

ALSO if you add players to your transfer target list your DOF will make bids on the players during the two transfer windows. You have control on what order he bids on them and max offers.

ALSO if he gets to the contract stage of players you can adjust the contract offers too - i have done that recently: i added Phil Jones to my transfer targets after Utd put him up for sale. Comoli negotiated a 12 million fee (5m upfront) and then offered him a contract. Eager to get him i looked at the contract and he only offered a rotation contract and high yearly wage rage. I altered this to first team player, removed wage rise and added team of the year bonus. Chelsea where after him too and only my contract alteration (in my mind) promoted jones to choose my over southampton.

Archived