What are some of the more interesting and fun leagues you have managed in?

Btw no American team has won the tournament since 2000 and only two have won in the history of the tournament since it started in 1962. Very strong league compared to Brazil and Argentina for sure. The same amount of winners as Trinidad & Tobago. I am not saying this because I have anything against your teams. It's just clear that Mexican teams could do with a step up in competition and the only clubs that can offer that outside of Europe are the South American ones. They need to do what Australia did in leaving Oceanan competitions and improving their quality of clubs by playing in Asia.

Brazilian league is pretty crazy especially with the number of games in the state championship and the 2 legged Brazilian cup.

Do you have any advices for managing the finances for South American clubs without selling their best players?

Play friendlies if you can (hard in Brazil though) and bring players on loan.

Also try to sell players that are not so important and can be easily replaced.

Yeah LOL

This year's semis have three Mexican clubs plus one Canadian. Last year had 2 Mexicans, an American and a Costa Rican. Mexicans obviously won. Year before that all four semi finalists were Mexicans. Year before that we had three Mexican teams plus Puerto Rico. The last time a Non-Mexican club won it was 2005 so please stop talking utter crap. Maybe you are the one who should be educating themself on the state of North American football? That is if we want to use your own phrase.

And?

You know little about the game here. The Mexicans have the advantage of schedule. The CL quarterfinal plus games are played at the very beginning of the USA season. They are at a big disadvantage. And nowhere do you prove the south americans are better.

Btw no American team has won the tournament since 2000 and only two have won in the history of the tournament since it started in 1962. Very strong league compared to Brazil and Argentina for sure. The same amount of winners as Trinidad & Tobago. I am not saying this because I have anything against your teams. It's just clear that Mexican teams could do with a step up in competition and the only clubs that can offer that outside of Europe are the South American ones. They need to do what Australia did in leaving Oceanan competitions and improving their quality of clubs by playing in Asia.

Ignorant post of the year on these boards. Please point me to the plethora of international players playing in south america in the so-called powerful leagues? Now if Europe didnt rape and pillage the Americas to strip it of its foolballing gold you might have a point.

And?

You know little about the game here. The Mexicans have the advantage of schedule. The CL quarterfinal plus games are played at the very beginning of the USA season. They are at a big disadvantage. And nowhere do you prove the south americans are better.

There is no way of providng that anyone is better than anyone and it will always be subjective and never factucal if we are speaking technically.

Compare the players in the South American elite clubs (guys like Neymar, Ganso, Damiao, Lucas) to the North American elite and if we compare their potential suitors and ability according to most people they would be rated far higher. Same with the average player from these leagues. Just consider for a moment how many players are signed by elite European clubs from for example the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues compared to the MLS. MLS players are barely ever mentioned in the European press apart from the old famous guys on big paychecks. This is because they are not being linked with moves to the elite clubs as the South Americans are.

You can claim all day long that the MLS or other North American leagues are as strong as South American leagues but the ability of the players that they produce would suggest otherwise.

Some could also claim that playing the games at the start of their season could be an advantage due to not feeling the fatigue that players feel towards the end.

Ignorant post of the year on these boards. Please point me to the plethora of international players playing in south america in the so-called powerful leagues? Now if Europe didnt rape and pillage the Americas to strip it of its foolballing gold you might have a point.

The last few years South American hasn't been raped and pillaged of players. This is because the clubs especially in Brazil have far more money now. They can afford to be linked with bids of £30 for Tevez (Corinthians) or to keep world class players like Ganso and Neymar (Santos).

What is so ignorant about posting the facts on the situation? The fact is that American clubs sides have dreadful records in their regional tournament. Mexican clubs sides have lots of money and are not handicapped by a salary cap and therefore can compete with South American clubs. They should be allowed to send their elite to face them rather than facing bums from the MLS or Costa Rica.

While I doubt MLS teams would win any South American club competition nowadays, I think they are almost certainly better than teams from Bolivia, Peru and Venezuela and more likely similar to teams from Colombia or Paraguay.

If Mexico send their best teams, they would probably win the title every now and then, in fact Pachuca once won Copa Sudamericana and Cruz Azul and Chivas both reached the Libertadores final.

As for the rest, I would be surprised if they were any better than Bolivian/Venezuelan/Peruvian teams. The few times they played South American competitions they were pretty awful:

Alajuelense in Copa Sudamericana 2006:

Motagua in Copa Sudamericana 2008:

DC United played Copa Sudamericana twice and while they didn't go far, they had good results (1 win, 1 draw and 2 defeats).

The main issue with MLS teams is lack of depth (due to the salary caps), but overall there is probably more talent in MLS than even in the other leagues I compared them to (Paraguay and Colombia) but in MLS that talent is spread over several teams while in Paraguay it's concentrated in a few teams. In Colombia it's spread too, but not in 10+teams like MLS, but rather in 6 or so teams.

Anyway, I am certain MLS will be a huge league at some point in future, it keeps growing year after year while most other leagues (be them in the Americas or Europe) are either stagnated or declining.

The MLS is a bit mental. Brazil is quite fun, bit hard to get the hang of at first but certainly quite entertaining.

I've stayed away from the MLS. Too many rules.

Yeah LOL

This year's semis have three Mexican clubs plus one Canadian. Last year had 2 Mexicans, an American and a Costa Rican. Mexicans obviously won. Year before that all four semi finalists were Mexicans. Year before that we had three Mexican teams plus Puerto Rico. The last time a Non-Mexican club won it was 2005 so please stop talking utter crap. Maybe you are the one who should be educating themself on the state of North American football? That is if we want to use your own phrase.

You realise the canadian team is part of MLS right? ;)

The last few years South American hasn't been raped and pillaged of players. This is because the clubs especially in Brazil have far more money now. They can afford to be linked with bids of £30 for Tevez (Corinthians) or to keep world class players like Ganso and Neymar (Santos).

What is so ignorant about posting the facts on the situation? The fact is that American clubs sides have dreadful records in their regional tournament. Mexican clubs sides have lots of money and are not handicapped by a salary cap and therefore can compete with South American clubs. They should be allowed to send their elite to face them rather than facing bums from the MLS or Costa Rica.

I'm impressed by how financially stable the brazilian league has gotten.

The main issue with MLS teams is lack of depth (due to the salary caps), but overall there is probably more talent in MLS than even in the other leagues I compared them to (Paraguay and Colombia) but in MLS that talent is spread over several teams while in Paraguay it's concentrated in a few teams. In Colombia it's spread too, but not in 10+teams like MLS, but rather in 6 or so teams.

Anyway, I am certain MLS will be a huge league at some point in future, it keeps growing year after year while most other leagues (be them in the Americas or Europe) are either stagnated or declining.

Don't worry about us (I say us as I've lived in america for some 10 years now), give us a few more years and we'll be beating your brazilian sides ;)

MLS is young and its in a country that has yet to fully embrace football.

I completely forgot to mention the most interesting league I've played in :D

The J-League would be my pick. It feels like anyone can win it every season. Competition makes for a more fun experience.

Don't worry about us (I say us as I've lived in america for some 10 years now), give us a few more years and we'll be beating your brazilian sides ;)

Your teams already beat ours in the past:

I know you are not fully serious there, but I am sure it will happen in a regular basis in the future, and at national team level as well.

And while football is not the main sport in the USA, there are more football fans there than in most countries, the problem is that many of those fans don't follow local football and prefer Mexican or Euro football instead,

Still, MLS already have higher average attendances than most leagues, including Brazil. Sponsorship and TV deals need to improve though (while for example in Brazil they are very good already).

I've stayed away from the MLS. Too many rules.

You realise the canadian team is part of MLS right? ;)

I'm impressed by how financially stable the brazilian league has gotten.

Yeah I know they are MLS. Just chose not to write it ;) . Way they got to the semis though was by drawing another MLS team (LA). The other MLS team involved (Seattle) went down 7-3 on aggregate to Mexican club Santos Laguna. We'll see how Toronto do against that same team. Imagine they also go down big but you never know.

Archived