(FM11) A most excellent adventure (or a very bogus journey!)

withnail316

August

WPL Haverfordwest 5-0 Prestatyn

A great way to start the new season, but there were a couple of disappointments along the way. An early red card for central defender Naylor was frustrating, but more so was yet another Richards injury. He missed 4 months last season, and now he's out of action again...luckily only for a couple of weeks, but enough to miss the European tie. The goals were scored by Hopkinson (2) Loy, Robinson and Rooney.

Champions League Play Off first leg

Shamrock Rovers 2-2 Haverfordwest

A cracking game, although how we didn't lose it I'll never know. 2 goals from Rory Loy put us in a decent position, although the injury problems continue, with Loy picking up a knock. I'll have to play the second leg without 2 of my 3 first choice strikers.

WPL Carmarthen 1-2 Haverfordwest

Goals from Martin Reilly and Simon Basham ensured another three points.

Champions League Play Off second leg

Haverfordwest 1-0 Shamrock Rovers

Fraser Robinson was the difference in a really tight game. Felt very fortunate to progress.

clgroup1516.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Aberystwyth

Goals from Bridge-Wilkinson and Fraser Robinson ensured another three points.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm getting really frustrated with Richards and his injuries. He's far and away my best striker (image below) but he's ALWAYS injured!

richards1516.png

In his two years he's picked up EIGHT different injuries, and he's spent more than nine months of his Haverfordwest career in the physio's room. He's going to miss another 4 weeks now, which means he'll be out of some of my Champions League games too. :mad::mad:

September

WPL Bridgend 0-4 Haverfordwest

Two each from Loy and Richards, but yet again Richards has picked up another knock.

CL Group F

Olympiakos 4-0 Haverfordwest

A truly awful performance sees us hammered in Europe again. An early red card for skipper David Cowan did us no favours, but we were utterly spineless.

WPL Haverfordwest 4-0 Afan Lido

2 from Loy, one from Robinson and Naylor's first ever goal secured the victory. However, Cowan got his second red card in two games...

WPL Bangor City 0-1 Haverfordwest

Tim Hopkinson with the only goal of the game, ending a 10 hour drought in the process.

CL Group F

Haverfordwest 0-3 Arsenal

The final score was harsh as they scored twice in the final 5 minutes, but no complaints at the defeat.

October

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Llanelli

Goals from Rory Loy and Phil O'Halleron continued our perfect start to the league season.

Loosemore League Cup

Bridgend 0-7 Haverfordwest

Is it possible to get bored of winning? Yes. Bridgend are the equivalent of us against Barcelona... goals from Higgins, Hopkinson, Richards, Loy, Mitchell, Robinson and an OG.

WPL TNS 0-1 Haverfordwest

Nathan Rooney won this one with a screamer from 30 yards.

CL Group F

AC Milan 6-1 Haverfordwest

First time I've tried all out defence in the CL. It was only 3-1 with 15min to go, and then Pato ran riot. Ouch. Richards with our goal.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-1 Neath

Goals from Richards, Higgins and Hopkinson secured another three points and maintained our perfect start.

Loosemore League Cup Quarter Final

Haverfordwest 1-1 TNS (aet, 4-5 on pens)

Yet another penalty shoot out defeat, as Fraser Robinson missed the decisive kick. Much like my defeat in the League Cup final of a couple of seasons back, we should have buried them in normal time. Another year that the treble will pass us by.

WPL Bala 1-1 Haverfordwest

Gah. Richards with the goal, but a late red card for Matty Hughes allowed Bala to grab a leveller from the spot. However, YET AGAIN we lost Richards for another 4 weeks. It's just ridiculous! :mad:

Seriously considering selling Richards. 50 goals in 85 games, but he spends so much time on the sidelines. He's been at the club for 30 months, and for 10 of those he has been injured.... I don't think I've ever had such an injury prone player.

I'd sell him. Having a solid striker available will make a huge difference in your group stage efforts. I tend to steal a a couple results just because I land one solid scoring chance during games, plus there is always that annoying U19 rule...

November

CL Group F

Haverfordwest 1-3 AC Milan

No disgrace in this one, we even took the lead through Tim Hopkinson, but Milan were just too strong.

Welsh Cup

Holyhead 0-3 Haverfordwest

Goals from Loy, Hopkinson and Reilly see us safely through.

WPL Port Talbot 1-3 Haverfordwest

One from Hopkinson and two OGs secured another win.

WPL Prestatyn 0-1 Haverfordwest

Fraser Robinson was the difference in a weakened side ahead of our Champions League encounter in midweek.

CL Group F

Haverfordwest 1-4 Olympiakos

Gutted. I had this targeted as my first point, but after just three minutes I was behind. Hopkinson got us back into it, but ultimately we just weren't good enough. Feel quite disheartened, and I'm beginning to think about taking my 'World Class' reputation elsewhere...

WPL Haverfordwest 4-1 Carmarthen

2 for Hopkinson, 1 for Loy and one for Robinson ensure we hammer our rivals and get the CL game out our systems.

I'd sell him. Having a solid striker available will make a huge difference in your group stage efforts. I tend to steal a a couple results just because I land one solid scoring chance during games, plus there is always that annoying U19 rule...

Yeah, it would probably help, but I keep thinking "he's only 20, he'll get stronger..." plus he just keeps scoring when he's fit.

Sounds like the sort of player who is injured for a month from a hangnail... Might be time to make some money off of him. Time to sell.

And yeah, I'd get a decent fee for him, but with £15m in the bank I'm not too motivated by money right now. I might just try and find another striker anyway and accept that Richards will spend half the season out every year.... to be fair to him, despite his injuries he's still got 20 goals a season! Can't grumble too much...

Pity you're so far off the pace in Europe, as the Olympiakos games brutally showed.

Yeah, they're just miles ahead of me. It'd almost be beneficial if I didn't qualify next year and went into the Europa, but if I make the play off i'll want to win it!

December

WPL Aberystwyth 0-3 Haverfordwest

Goals from Loy, Richards and Hopkinson secured another league win.

CL Group F

Arsenal 3-0 Haverfordwest

Another one of those games that was pretty rough on us. It took them 65mins to break us down, and the other 2 were scored in the 85th and 90th minutes. Much better performances against Arsenal than the other sides.

groupf1516.png

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Bridgend

Goals from Hopkinson, Reilly and Basham secured another league win.

WPL Afan Lido 0-3 Haverfordwest

Goals from Hopkinson and Robinson (3) kept up our great league form.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Bangor City

Two for Hopkinson and one for Richards secures yet another win, and is a good way to finish the year...

clublogo.png

Mid season report 2015/16

Despite my disappointment with how Europe has gone, it's been a fairly decent half of the season. Still unbeaten in the league and bags of goals scored sees us flying at the top of the league. The league cup was disappointing, but penalty shoot outs are always a lottery. I'm considering making some significant squad changes in the Summer, and completely overhauling the squad, especially in midfield. Both Higgins and Bridge-Wilkinson are likely to be leaving, and perhaps Mitchell as well. I'm also going to need to consider replacements for Murphy (33) and Cowan (34 in March), although both are still quality.

ny1516.png

Off the field there's £15m in the bank, and the board have announced plans to expand the stadium. Hopefully that means extra seats, which will help for European games. In other news, there's a hell of a lot of interest in my record goal scorer Hopkinson, but hopefully I can keep him. He's still got plenty of time left on his contract, but it might just be worth me offering him another.

Hope it's a big stadium increase, got loads of money for it.

Can't see it being huge, especially as my average gates aren't even 50% of the current capacity, but any increase in seating has to be a good thing.

January

WPL Llanelli 0-4 Haverfordwest

Two own goals, one from Basham and another from Richards put our closest challengers to the sword.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 TNS

Richards and Alan Lynch's 1st of the season secure another win. Lynch had gone FIFTEEN hours without hitting the net beforehand.

WPL Neath 0-2 Haverfordwest

An OG and a Richards header secured the points, and although we lost our goalkeeper to injury after 10 minutes without a sub on the bench, we still kept a clean sheet. It was also the 200th win of my career.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Bala

Robinson and Hutchinson grab us another win.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Port Talbot

A double from Richards secures yet another win.

Welsh Cup 4th round

Haverfordwest 4-0 Waterloo Rovers

A solid win in the cup, inspired by Steven Richards (who inevitably hurt himself later!) He scored 2 and made 2 more, including an OG and Joe Jones' first of the season.

February

WPL Llanelli 1-4 Haverfordwest

Another win at Llanelli, and Rory Loy finally ended his drought with a hat-trick. Tim Hopkinson also got his 20th of the season, the fourth season in a row he's scored 20+.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Neath

Two goals for Richards ensure the run goes on, and also...

retained1516.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us The title was retained on 13th February, and after 24 games. It was the same date as Bridgend got relegated, too.

WPL Port Talbot 1-0 Haverfordwest

Incredibly poor performance which brought our unbeaten league season to a shuddering halt.

Welsh Cup Quarter Final

Haverfordwest 3-0 Bryntirion

Goals from Hopkinson, Basham and Higgins see us safely through and into the semis.

March

WPL Haverfordwest 2-0 Bangor City

Higgins and Richards were the difference here.

WPL Aberystwyth 3-2 Haverfordwest

Not a great performance, but we should NEVER have lost this. Our goals came from Richards and Hopkinson.

WPL Haverfordwest 2-1 Llanelli

A pretty poor peformance, but a second half leveller from Richards and a stoppage time winner from Robinson ensured the points.

April

WPL Haverfordwest 3-3 Port Talbot

Mental game. Started awfully and found ourselves 2 down, only for Richards and Loy (2) to turn the game on it's head. We then conceded in stoppage time. Since winning the title, performances have dropped big time, as has morale.

Welsh Cup Semi final

Haverfordwest 3-1 Afan Lido

Goals from Rooney, Hopkinson and Loy see us safely into the final once again.

WPL Bangor City 1-0 Haverfordwest

Another one of those shocking performances where we just can't put the ball in the net, and they had one great chance and took it....

WPL Neath 1-3 Haverfordwest

Much better performance, goals from Rooney, Higgins and Richards secure three more points.

WPL Haverfordwest 3-0 Aberystwyth

Changed all three strikers ahead of the cup final, and all three scored. Reilly, Lynch and Robinson on the scoresheet.

fawlogo.jpg

The Welsh Cup Final

Saturday 7th May 2016

The New Saints Vs Haverfordwest County AFC

Esbjerg Atletikstadion, Esbjerg (DENMARK!!! Hmm)

Well, I'm pretty sure the venue is a bug. Welsh Cup final in Denmark? Interesting! Anyway, back to it. As ever I'm feeling pretty confident of my chances of winning a fourth Welsh Cup, especially against a side I finished 32 points clear of in the league. However, our form has been pretty average in the last few months, although they did beat me on penalties and made the League Cup final. I pretty much have an entire first XI to choose from, and it might just be the final appearance for several of them. Still, hopefully they'll leave with another shiny medal...

First half

What a first half! We started the game very brightly, and after just 12 minutes we were in front. A great through ball from Rooney split the TNS dfence wide open, and Tim Hopkinson smashed in from 18 yards. Seven minutes later it was two, Danny Murphy's curling near post cross was fired in on the volley by Rory Loy and just before the break it was three. Steven Richards' header came back off the bar and then just over the line off the unfortunate Steven Lynch for an OG. Cruising.

Half time: Haverfordwest 3-0 TNS

Second half

Very quiet second half, but nine minutes from time Steven Richards put the icing on the cake, sliding home from close range

Full time

welshcup1516.png

double1516.png

clublogo.png

Haverfordwest County AFC: Season Summary 2015/16

League

Media prediction: 1st

Finished: 1st (champions)

Cups

Welsh Cup: Winners

League Cup: Quarter Finalists

Top scorers

Steven Richards (33 apps/ 25 goals)

Tim Hopkinson (47 apps/ 24 goals)

Rory Loy (39 apps/ 22 goals)

Fraser Robinson (37 apps/ 14 goals)

Positives

Well, another season, another two trophies. Really strong in the league again, securing the championship after 24 games, although a little complacency crept in towards the end of the season which explained our late slump. If I look solely at our domestic form, it's very different to be anything other than positive, and just for good measure we've now gone 6 years without losing a domestic match at home (penalty shoot outs aside, that is!)

Concerns

Continuing to struggle in Europe is still a concern, although qualifying for the group stages of the Champions League for a third time in five seasons isn't to be sniffed at. Still, I'm intending on using this summer to make several changes to the squad, with players such as Marc Bridge-Wilkinson, Higgins and Andrew Mitchell on the way out. I'm also considering devising an 11 who sit out of the domestic cup competitions, playing only in the league and in Europe, and I also need to work on our shape for those huge European clubs. Going to devise an Italian style system so we sit in, rather than leaving ourselves wide open. Might take a bit of tweaking!

Ambitions

Win the league, and finally take a point in the Champions League! Adding some real quality to the squad is high on the agenda too, which will see some loyal players on the way out the door. (Ruaidhri Higgins has made more than 100 league appearances in his 4 years, but at 31 his time is now up. I MUST add quality to midfield to stand any chance in Europe, as well as a dominant defender. I'm just hoping that this time I can finally make some headway in the transfer market.)

League table

finaltable1516.png

Player of the season

Steven Richards

Average attendance

530 in league (increase of 21)

663 overall (decrease of 2)

Just thought, being 3 games away from my 300th at the club, it seems a good time for a roll of honour...

clublogo.png

Honours

League Champions: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

Welsh Cup Winners: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016

League Cup Winners: 2011, 2013, 2015

Runners Up: 2014

Top scorers:

Tim Hopkinson (237 apps/ 128 goals)

Alan Lynch (153 apps/ 77 goals)

Rory Loy (117 apps/ 71 goals)

Steven Richards (104 apps/ 67 goals)

My record

Played 297

Won 212

Drawn 37

Lost 48

Win ratio: 71%

I'm also considering devising an 11 who sit out of the domestic cup competitions, playing only in the league and in Europe, and I also need to work on our shape for those huge European clubs.

Good call on this strategy. I have done it with my Haverfordwest squads in the past and it works out quite well. Its awesome for developing players for future top 11 or just to build up their rep to sell on.

Good call on this strategy. I have done it with my Haverfordwest squads in the past and it works out quite well. Its awesome for developing players for future top 11 or just to build up their rep to sell on.

Yeah I thought so. I'd have done it earlier but I was trying to keep squad numbers to a minimum. Having said that, I'm beginning to regret not adding any other leagues, especially as I think with our rep increase we'd have a great chance of unearthing some corkers from the continent.

You can always add them using the add league feature, it just takes until June for them to appear. I think France would be a good one to add. You should also scout Croatia as they often have some hidden gems.

I'm playing FM11 fella, so I can't I'm afraid.

Now then, decisions.... Can I take a vote here please folks?

Now this season is over do I:

A) Continue with this career as I am, or..

B) Start again at H/west, but open more leagues giving me a chance to find more talent.

Would be pretty tough to leave this one, but the other leagues would certainly open a few more targets that could improve the squad...

Cheers.

Keep going. I done what you did on FM 11 with only Wales and England loaded and still managed to become a decent european team i.e making the 1/4's of the champions league. It took a bit longer than it does on FM 12 but its very much do-able.

Keep going. I done what you did on FM 11 with only Wales and England loaded and still managed to become a decent european team i.e making the 1/4's of the champions league. It took a bit longer than it does on FM 12 but its very much do-able.

Good advice. I guess I'm perhaps underestimating the value of making the group stages (even if I'm getting hammered) because that's still a good achievement from a Welsh side, it's just a little disheartening at times that I can't attract the type of player who'd greatly improve us. Having said that it's only 6 years into the career, so very much early doors!

Been following this for a while now (along with JackJCFC's progress too) and just thought i would have to made an account to stay stick at it. Myself and a friend are currently attempting to take the welsh league by storm via a network game (does not help that he lives in Korea, the time difference is killing me) and it may seem tough, but you have to remember that you are barely a club compared to the other clubs in the Champs league.

May have to start a thread about our adventures. I do believe we have just started our 6th season.

Been following this for a while now (along with JackJCFC's progress too) and just thought i would have to made an account to stay stick at it. Myself and a friend are currently attempting to take the welsh league by storm via a network game (does not help that he lives in Korea, the time difference is killing me) and it may seem tough, but you have to remember that you are barely a club compared to the other clubs in the Champs league.

May have to start a thread about our adventures. I do believe we have just started our 6th season.

Cheers for the comment Tho, and good luck in your game.

Welcome to the board, btw.

I've replayed with Haverfordwest about 3 times. I find the saves seem to follow the same pattern because when I play I make all the same moves or similar moves. The most recent restart I did, I changed a few things about how I played the game and it has been pretty enjoyable. That's my advise for what its worth. You could also sim a head a few years and pick up Haverfordwest 2 years into the game. Although, they may not be in the Principality anymore :-|

stadiumincrease1516.png

youthfacil1516.png

Pretty pleased with the announcement about the ground. Didn't want anything too big that would take about 100 years for me to sell out, but that does increase our capacity for European ties by 100%. Still trying to twist their arm to the training facilities again too, but alas, no luck as yet. The youth facilities at least is a good start.

Archived