Filling up the Trophy Cabinet!

ManUTactician247

Pity about Turkey though.

It is, they actually got more attempts on target in their match against Spain and didn't deserve to lose 3-0 to Portugal, a shame as I would have liked to see them through, being my country and all. They did better than IRL though where they didn't even qualify.

Chapter 1 - Getting Wins in Linz (Season 1)

LASK_Linz.png

Transfers (Apart from the first 3)

League

Fixtures Before I Joined

After I Joined (1)

After I Joined (2)

Before I joined the team was looking very inconsistent, a run of 3 wins might be followed by a run of 3 defeats and the team was languishing in 8th when I took over. However, my arrival certainly refreshed the team though because the moment I joined we went on a 14 match unbeaten run. However, a 3-0 loss to St Andra knocked the stuffing out of us and we only managed 2 wins and 2 draws in our last 8 matches to not only stop us from winning the title but put us in the bottom half. As you can see from the table, we had the best defensive record in the league and the lowest number of defeats, our problem was plain to see, too many draws! If we could have turned half of those draws into wins then we would have easily ran away with the league but the finishing up-front was appalling at times.

Austrian FA Cup - The team was knocked out before I walked in, they needed extra time to knock out SC/ESV Parndorf who were non league and despite facing more non-league opponents in the next round, they were knocked out by FC Gratkorn, I'll be looking to take them a bit further next year.

U19s - The youngsters had nowhere near as much trouble as us, taking the title by 5 points and scoring an impressive 88 goals in 33 games, thats almost 3 per game. Some of these guys may be getting call-ups to the first team soon.

Season Records

Top Scorer - Hannes Aigner (13)

Most Assists - Robert Schellander (7)

Highest Average Rating - Robert Schellander (7.17)

Fastest Goal - Hannes Aigner vs SV Grodig (29/11/12) - 1 minute 56 seconds

Most Goals in a Match - Hannes Aigner vs SKN St Polten (30/9/11) - 2

Worst Discipline - Rene Aufhauser (7/0)

Fans Player of the Year - Robert Schellander

Award Winners

First Division Player of the Year

1. Rene Aufhauser

2. Srdjan Vidakovic

First Division Young Player of the Year

Georg Teigl

First Division Goalkeeper of the Year

1. Thomas Mandl

Team of the Year

GK: Thomas Mandl

CB: Christoph Kobleder

CM: Srdjan Vidakovic

ST: Hannes Aigner

Team of the Year

GK: Thomas Mandl

Games: 37

Conceded: 40

Clean Sheets: 11

MOTM: 1

Average Rating: 6.82

Managers View: A very good goalkeeper, no doubt about it, kept us in games we had no right to be in but did make a few costly errors at the end of the season.

RB: Martin Ehrenreich

Games: 25

Goals: 0

Assists: 3

Average Rating: 6.84

Managers View: Brought in on loan and did his job, preparing for the day when Florian Hart is ready and I believe he is so thanks for the job he did, a good right-back.

RCB: Christoph Kobleder

Games: 36

MOTM: 2

Average Rating: 6.84

Managers View: Good in the air and most of the time pretty rock solid, he does lose the ball cheaply sometimes though.

LCB: Ulrich Winkler

Games: 24 (1)

Assists: 1

MOTM: 0

Average Rating: 6.77

Managers View: Surprised he got into this team as he didn't stand out much, he didn't make any big errors so I guess that may be why.

LB: Robert Schellander

Games: 33

Assists: 7

Average Rating: 7.17

Managers View: The only player to get an AR above 7 and you can see why, a great left-back with a great left foot, his deliveries have led to a few goals this season and it's difficult to find a fault in him so I won't try.

RM: Leonhard Kaufmann

Games: 22 (4)

Goals: 3

Average Rating: 6.8

Managers View: A decent enough winger that knows how to make clever runs, if only he had more of that end product I've seen glimpses of.

RCM: Srdjan Vidakovic

Games: 25 (1)

Assists: 5

Average Rating: 6.93

Managers View: Vidakovic has talent, no question. He can play the final ball and finish off a move but my only complaint is his tendency to shoot too much from long range, apart from that well done!

LCM: Ali Hamdemir

Games: 21 (1)

Average Rating: 6.76

Managers View: The 23 year old still has room for improvement but has a great range of passing and a fierce shot, plus he's Turkish which automatically makes him the managers pet :p. Hopefully he can show more of what he did at times this season.

LM: Georg Teigl

Games: 23 (3)

Goals: 2

Average Rating: 6.78

Managers View: A quality player and gutted that he was only on loan, beat defenders for fun down the left-hand side and will be a big miss next season.

ST: Hannes Aigner

Games: 32

Goals: 13

MOTM: 4

Average Rating: 6.86

Managers View: My decision to make Hannes captain upon my arrival certainly inspired him as he started off scoring goals for fun, his finishing dwindled a bit towards the end of the season but no doubt a great scorer and front-man.

ST: Harald Unverdorben

Games: 20 (1)

Goals: 9

Average Rating: 6.85

Managers View: Harald was initially out of favour when I was playing 4-5-1 but was drafted in when I changed to 4-4-2, he didn't impress me too much and the majority of his goals came before I arrived at the club, hopefully he can improve.

Subs

Pavao Pervan

Games: 1

Conceded: 1

Clean Sheets: 0

Average Rating: 6.4

Managers View: It's difficult to comment on someone who's played one match for you but he seems ok, he is moaning a lot about not playing though.

Rene Aufhauser

Games: 33

Goals: 4

Assists: 4

Average Rating: 6.98

Managers View: How on earth did he not get into the starting 11, Rene played at CB, DM and CM this season and scored a few important goals, his experience was invaluable to us. It's bizarre that the player of the year in the league doesn't get into our first eleven.

Benjamin Freudenthaler

Games: 12 (4)

Goals: 1

Assists: 2

Average Rating: 6.85

Managers View: Pretty good, not outstanding but has a decent delivery from corners.

Lukas Kragl

Games: 14 (3)

Assists: 2

MOTM: 3

Average Rating: 6.8

Managers View: Could easily have made the first-team if he played more, he had a great run of 3 matches, scoring 3 times and getting 2 MOTM awards but slowly was taken out of the team and didn't play at the end of the season.

Florian Templ

Games: 9

Goals: 2

Average Rating: 6.51

Managers View: I never actually played him, the previous manager must have liked him, all I know is I played him in a Winter Break friendly and he got sent off :p.

Shawn Barry

Games: 8 (3)

Goals: 1

Assists: 0

Average Rating: 6.47

Managers View: The young American isn't as bad as the ratings suggest, he didn't get too much time from me and when he did he scored a last minute equaliser against rivals BW Linz, a memorable day for him.

Thomas Murg

Games: 6 (2)

Assists: 0

Average Rating: 6.37

Managers View: The only January signing I made that actually had time to shine, he didn't, a striker should score and he hasn't been. He is young and has time to improve though.

Positives

1. We did improve from when I joined, even if it was 2 spaces.

2. Our great 14 match unbeaten run from when I joined.

3. The way we perform has generally been very good

Negatives

1. We should have won the title but bottled it.

2. Once we lost, we couldn't get out of it.

3. We need to score more of our chances, finishing was not good enough.

Rest of the World 2011/12 Update

Austria

Premier Division

First Division

FA Cup

Champions League

Europa League

TOP 13 COMPETITIONS IN EUROPE

Premier League

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Liverpool

La Liga

1. R. Madrid

2. Barcelona

3. At. Madrid

Bundesliga

1. FC Bayern

2. Schalke

3. Stuttgart

Serie A

1. Inter

2. Roma

3. Juventus

Ligue 1

1. Olympique Lyonnais

2. Paris Saint-Germain

3. OM

FA Cup

Winners: Man Utd

Runners-Up: Chelsea

Liga Sagres

1. Benfica

2. Porto

3. Sporting

German Cup

Winners: Werder Bremen

Runners-up: Schalke

Russian Premier League

1. CSKA Moscow

2. Zenit

3. Rubin

Ukrainian Premier League

1. Shakhtar

2. Dynamo Kyiv

3. Metalist

Eredivisie

1. Ajax

2. AZ

3. FC Twente

Sportoto Super Lig

1. Fenerbahce

2. Galatasaray

3. Besiktas

French Cup

Winners: Olympique Lyonnais

Runners-up: OM

Competition Rankings

AROUND THE WORLD CHAMPIONS LEAGUES

African Champions League

Asian Champions League

NACL

O-League

Copa Libertadores

INTERNATIONAL COMPETITIONS

African Nations Cup

OCE Nations Cup

June 2011 Transfers

July 2011 Transfers

August 2011 Transfers

January 2012 Transfers

Awards

European Footballer of the Year

1. Lionel Messi (Barca)

2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Real)

3. Cesc Fabregas (Barca)

Golden Boot

1. Alexis Sanchez (Barca) 25 GOALS - 50 POINTS

2. Sloan Privat (Sochaux) 23 GOALS - 46 POINTS

3. Edinson Cavani (Napoli) 23 GOALS - 46 POINTS

LASK_Linz.png

Transfers (Apart from the first 3)

LASK Linz 2012-13 Pre-season Update

Transfers Out

31/5/12

Martin Ehrenreich 29 Austria (RB/RWB/RM) Loan return to SK Sturm Graz

Was quite a regular in the team at right-back and was generally good but the blossoming of Florian Hart meant I no longer needed him.

Georg Teigl 21 Austria (LM/LAM) Loan return to FC RB Salzburg

Ever a threat down the left-hand side and gutted to see him leave, I tried to resign him from Salzburg but couldn't give enough of a wage contribution :(. Scored 2 and got 3 assists last season.

13/6/12

Helmut Koglberger 66 Austria (Youth Coach) Released

A shame we had to let the ex Austria international go but he demanded too much which we couldn't afford.

Transfers In

11/6/12

Clemens Ringler 20 Austria (CB) £100 from SC Schwaz ☆☆☆☆½/★★½

Jurgen Loffler 20 Austria (LM) £100 from AFC Kohfidisch ☆☆☆☆½/★★½

Stefan Franz 17 Austria (DM/CM) £400 from SK Austria Klagenfurt ★/★★★★

Irnes Glavas 20 Croatia (AM) Free agent (Last club: AKA Karnten) ☆☆☆☆½/★★

Michael Gspurning 31 Austria (GK) Free agent (Last club: Xanthi) ★★★★½/★★★★½

Very excited about him, it seems harsh to replace last years GK of the year Mandl but he did make a few costly errors (plus he's Austrian!)

Michael Kohlbacher 19 Austria (CM) £200 from FC Gratkorn ☆☆☆☆☆/★★★

Markus Reinprecht 17 Austria (CB) £400 from SK Austria Klagenfurt ☆☆☆☆☆/★★★½

Preview: Hopefully, we can have a more consistent season than last and with me in charge for the WHOLE season, I'm hoping for promotion, I'm looking to cut down on the draws and get some wins. The board expect nothing less than a league win and I don't blame them, the 5th most reputable team in Austria should be playing in the top tier.

Media Prediction: 1st

Team Report

Squad (1) (2)

Amateur Team

U19s (1) (2)

Tactics: I've decided to change my 4-4-2 to a 4-4-2 diamond, I realised I often play an attack-minded CM with a defensive minded one so why not put them in attacking and defensive roles so they don't have to worry about doing the other, apart from that I think we're good.

Budgets

Transfer: £233,446

Wage: £47,416 p/w

Current Wage: £39,633 p/w

Pre-season Friendlies

FC St. Veit (A) - An easy match to get us started

SVG Reichenau (A) - A bit of a break and another easy one.

Stade Malherbe Caen (H) - Should be an interesting battle with a Ligue 1 side, looking forward to this.

Aue (A) - We might as well leave Austria for a bit, if only to Germany, should win this one.

Union Berlin (A) - Another toughie in Germany, a good match to end pre-season.

EURO 2012 QUARTER FINALS

Poland vs Ukraine

A draw that pits the co-hosts of this competition against each other. There'll be some angry Polish fans if they don't win as the game is being played in Ukraine. Poland managed to squeeze past France on goals scored to get to this stage and were the only team who beat the winners of the group Scotland. Ukraine were the only team to win all of their Group Stage matches with Yarmolenko on inspired form, a good match in store.

Preview: Just one injury for Ukraine as Ruslan Rotan has concussion. Poland line up with a 4-2-3-1 with Obraniak and Blaszczykowski the main threats on the wing that will assist Jelen up front. Ukraine are going with a 3-5-2 using wing-backs and a sweeper, an interesting formation. Tymoschuk will look to pull the strings and help in-form Yarmolenko and Seleznyov grab some goals.

9 - Blaszczykowski bursts down the right and crosses it finding Obraniak at the far post who hits it over.

12 - Obraniak to Jelen who hits one but its over the bar.

15 - Obraniak plays the free-kick across for Blaszczykowski who lets fly but its saved by Pyatov.

16 - Obraniak's corner is headed wide by Wolakiewicz.

24 - The ball bounces awkwardly off Glik and falls to Yarmolenko but it's straight at Szczesny.

27 - Fedetskyi gives it to Seleznyov who turns and shoots, tipped over the bar by Szczesny.

28 - Rakitskyi's corner is headed just over by Yarmolenko.

29 - Garmash hits one from 25 yards and Szczesny again has to save it.

30 - Rakitskyi with the corner, headed over by Seleznyov.

32 - GOAL! Ukraine take the lead, it was coming. Great one-two between Seleznyov and Garmash with the former drilling it home.

36 - GOAL! Poland reply well as Piszczek's cross from the right is headed in by Mila.

37 - Garmash's shot is blocked which makes it easy for Szczesny.

41 - Poland hit Ukraine on the break and Blaszczykowski tears down the right, his cross finds Jelen whose shot is well saved by Pyatov.

45+1 - Half time

Poland started on top, Ukraine then took over and have been the better team this half, however Poland have stayed in the game thanks to Mila's equaliser, this should be an entertaining 2nd half.

45 - Tymoschuk off and Mykhalyk on at the break.

53 - Fedetskyi sets up Ischenko from distance but it's well over the bar.

57 - Shevchenko comes on for Yarmolenko.

60 - Obraniak wins the ball and shoots but it's wide.

62 - Obraniak's free-kick finds an unmarked Jelen who heads it wide, he should have done better.

66 - Poland bring Murawski on for Polanski.

73 - Nazarenko comes on for Neustadter.

77 - Klich comes on for the scorer Mila.

79 - Boenisch trips Mykhalyk and is booked.

79 - GOAL! Fedetskyi gets to the byline and drills the ball across and Nazarenko is there to tap it home! A super sub goal. Poland appeal for an offside against Fedetskyi in the build-up but there was no way he was.

81 - Glowacki is on for Wolakiewicz.

82 - Piszczek's cross is met by Jelen, straight at the goalie.

90 - Fedetskyi is booked for upending Boenisch.

90+4 - Full time

Ukraine's defence hold out and they pick up a deserved victory, Poland obviously will be unhappy that the game was played in Ukraine but can't do anything about it, Ukraine make the semis.

Poland 1-2 Ukraine

Poland: Mila (37)

Ukraine: Seleznyov (33), Nazarenko (80)

MOTM: Piszczek (7.6)

Italy vs Scotland

Out of all the teams that came 2nd, Italy would be one of the teams Scotland didn't want to face as a reward for topping a group with England and France. The Italians have been far from impressive, relying on a last minute goal by Ukraine to send them through at the expense of Slovenia. Can the Scots put up a good fight and win here?

Preview: A gashed leg for Buffon is the only injury for the Italians. Scotland also have a goalie out as Gordon has a broken arm. Kevin McNaughton has a gashed leg and misses out. Gary Caldwell is on the bench despite a bruised thigh. Both teams are lined up with narrow formations, Italy play a 4-2-3-1 with De Rossi and Montolivo holding back allowing Rossi, Giovinco and Candreva to attack with Pazzini up-front. The Scots play a 4-1-2-1-2, a technical Charlie Adam plays next to a workhorse in Fletcher with Morrison playing just behind Naismith and Goodwillie.

2 - Goodwillie does well to cut inside past his marker and shoot but Viviano catches it.

4 - GOAL! A memorable goal for Scotland, Adam floats in a cross which should be easy for Viviano who spills it at the feet of Naismith who sends Scotland in front.

8 - Naismith turns and shoots but it's wide.

11 - Scotland with some slick passing on the break, reminiscent of Barcelona and Goodwillie has the chance but its a great block by the defender and Viviano collects.

18 - Pazzini picks up an injury and has to be replaced by Mauri.

21 - Adam slips a ball in for Naismith who should score but it's saved by Viviano.

22 - Wallace sets up Adam who shoots from distance and Viviano is forced into an acrobatic save to tip it over.

35 - Adam is booked for a trip on Ranocchia.

36 - Great chance for Italy, Giovinco's corner finds Ranocchia who heads it over, should have been a goal.

39 - De Rossi is tripped by Fletcher, yellow.

41 - Adam's corner is headed just over by Fletcher.

45+3 - GOAL! A dream goal by Charlie Adam, Morrison lays it off for him from 25 yards out and his shot leaves Viviano stranded as it nestles in the corner, have Scotland won it now?

45+5 - Half time

What can I say? Scotland have been simply unstoppable, well worthy of their lead, their football at times has been incredible to watch, you can't see a way back now for Italy especially the way they're playing.

45 - Candreva comes off at half-time for Balotelli.

47 - Goodwillie finds a gap and shoots, straight at Viviano.

54 - Montolivo to De Rossi who curls one over the bar.

60 - De Rossi has a free-kick less than a yard outside the box and floats it over the wall and under the cross-bar but McGregor catches it.

61 - Giovinco with a good ball for Rossi who shoots but McGregor saves well low down.

65 - Motta replaces Montolivo.

67 - Hutton trips Giovinco and gets a yellow card.

69 - Hutton loses the ball in a poor position allowing Giovinco to get down the left and he pulls it back for Motta who curls it just over.

71 - Rossi trips Wilson and is the first Italian in the book today.

73 - Double sub for Scotland, Dorrans and Boyd for Morrison and Naismith.

75 - Adam's corner is headed just wide by McManus.

76 - Balotelli turns and shoots but it's well wide.

87 - Adam can come off knowing his job is done, on comes Brown for the last few.

90+3 - Full time

A better 2nd half for Italy but a rampant Scotland side pick up a well deserved victory to progress to a historic semi-final, the first in their history.

Italy 0-2 Scotland

Scotland: Naismith (5), Adam (45+4)

MOTM: Adam (8.7)

Portugal vs Germany

Portugal did well to progress in a very tight group but will be disappointed that they'll have to face Germany. Germany themselves just pipped Ireland to top spot in their group but are still doing quite well.

Preview: Both sides have a full squad to choose from so there can be no excuses today. Portugal play a 4-1-2-1-2 with Moutinho and Meireles in the middle and Danny playing behind Postiga and Ronaldo. Germany will play a 4-2-3-1.

1 - GOAL! An early start for Portugal, Ronaldo's long shot is deflected into the path of Bruno Alves who sticks it in to give Portugal the lead.

15 - Reitmaier loses the ball to Ronaldo who has a great chance but drills it wide.

20 - Bosingwa plays a good ball through for Ronaldo who shoots but it's a great save.

20 - Raul Meireles tries one but its straight at the keeper.

27 - Stengel plays a one-two with Bastian Becker and shoots but fires wide.

30 - GOAL! 2-0 Portugal, Ronaldo turns past the last man to go through on goal and despite a great save by the keeper, the ball falls to Danny who finishes in an empty net.

37 - Klein trips Danny and is booked.

37 - Straight away another yellow as Postiga trips Klein.

40 - Bosingwa pulls it back to Chelsea team-mate Meireles who drills it wide.

42 - A loose ball falls to Bastian Becker who plays a well disguised ball to Olchewski whose shot is saved.

43 - Danny sends Ronaldo through on goal who smashes it into the side-netting.

44 - Herrnberger finds Nowak who hits it high and wide of the goal.

45+1 - Half time

It's been a professional performance by Portugal to give them a great chance of knocking out Germany, the only disappointment has been Ronaldo's finishing so far, normally so clinical in front of goal. Germany need to improve to stay in it.

50 - Postiga wins it off Kutowski and sets up Ronaldo who hits it over.

55 - Reitmeier's free-kick is somehow headed over by Graf.

57 - Bastian Becker sets up Naciri on the edge of the box but his shot deflects into Patricio's arms.

59 - Reitmaier is booked for holding onto Ronaldo's shirt, it looked like a dive.

59 - Moutinho's free-kick is headed over by Alves.

59 - RED CARD! This changes the match, Portugal are down to ten as Postiga brings down Olchewski for his 2nd yellow.

60 - Despite going down to ten, Portugal make an offensive sub as Almeida replaces Bosingwa.

62 - GOAL! Who needs 11 players? Patricio's long drop kick eventually finds Almeida through on goal and the sub doesn't take too long to make his mark, scoring at the 2nd attempt.

64 - Veloso replaces Danny.

70 - Portugal bring Rolando on for Coentrao and Germany replace Reitmaier and Nowak with Weilandt and Savran.

71 - Weilandt's cross finds Stengel who shoots from a tight angle but it's well saved by Patricio.

75 - Olschewski is booked for tripping Veloso.

76 - Gollanek is on for Bastian Becker.

76 - Rolando brings down Stengel, yellow card.

80 - Veloso is tripped by Herrnberger who is booked.

81 - Herrnberger turns and shoots but it's powerless and wide.

90+1 - Herrnberger's blocked cross falls to Gollanek who tries a spectacular volley but it's wide.

90+3 - Full time

A great victory for Portugal and well deserved, they managed to not let Postiga's red card affect them and went on to win 3-0. Germany will be disappointed they didn't even score in this match.

Portugal 3-0 Germany

Portugal: Alves (2), Danny (31), Almeida (63), Postiga (61)

MOTM: Alves (8.3)

Croatia vs Ireland

Both sides had tough groups to negotiate and did very well. Despite a defeat to Turkey, Croatia beat Portugal and Spain to top a very difficult group. Ireland managed to beat Holland and Bosnia before falling to Germany and coming 2nd, I'm sure they'll prefer Croatia to Portugal who beat Germany yesterday.

Preview: Strinic makes the bench despite a thigh strain for Croatia. St Ledger is out for Ireland with strained ankle ligaments. Croatia will play a 4-4-2, Badelj and Kranjcar on the wings with Corluka partnering Modric in the middle as Mandzukic and Olic play up-front. Ireland play a different 4-2-1-2-1, Gibson and Wilson will hold the midfield with Coleman in front of him. Long and Hunt will fly down the wings with Robbie Keane up front.

2 - Pranjic's free-kick is cleared right out to him who volleys it over.

7 - Olic manages to cut inside and has a great chance but Given does well to save.

9 - Pranjic's corner is headed over by Simunic.

13 - The ref thinks Simunic dives and books him.

13 - GOAL! Ireland take an undeserved lead, Long breaks down the right and his cross is slid home by Keane.

18 - Olic's shot is deflected to Kranjcar who instinctively heads it but hits the side-netting.

20 - Corluka to Badelj who hits it, deflected behind for a corner.

25 - Modric plays a lovely ball for Olic who shoots but Given saves for a corner.

29 - Badelj gets into the box and shoots but side-netting.

35 - Kranjcar to Olic who turns and shoots and it whistles wide.

38 - Keane from distance... well wide.

45+2 - Half time

There's no way Ireland deserve their lead but they have it, converting their only shot on target, you sense this is their day. Croatia need to be a lot more clinical.

45 - Lawrence is on at the break for Long.

48 - Pranjic's corner is headed over by Mandzukic.

51 - Kranjcar with a great ball to send Olic through but his shot is straight at Given who saves.

54 - Srna's cross is headed over the bar by Mandzukic.

60 - GOAL! A Croatia goal has been coming, Olic slips in Mandzukic who holds it before placing it in.

62 - Tomecak on for Corluka.

64 - Pranjic's corner is headed wide by Simunic.

69 - Olic's shot is deflected behind for a corner.

70 - GOAL! A bizarre goal but Croatia won't complain, Srna's cross strikes the post, bounces off Gibson and in, it's a deserved lead.

72 - Doyle replaces Coleman.

73 - GOAL! Ireland level almost instantly, Wilson sends through Doyle who has just come on and he makes no mistake! They've really fluked their way through this one!

74 - Mandzukic comes off and is replaced by Eduardo.

75 - Modric finds a ball for Olic who smashes it high over the bar.

78 - Wilson is booked for pulling the shirt of Modric.

83 - Olic shoots from a tight angle, just over the bar.

88 - GOAL! A late winner for Croatia, Tomecak finds Kranjcar in the box who turns before smashing it past a helpless Given.

90+2 - Olic's cross is met by Eduardo but Given saves.

90+3 - Full time

Ireland had no right to be in this game but scored 2 out of their 3 attempts on target, Croatia eventually got their shooting boots on and got a deserved win to get to the semis.

Croatia 3-2 Ireland

Croatia: Mandzukic (61), Gibson OG (71), Kranjcar (89)

Ireland: Keane (14), Doyle (74)

MOTM: Wilson (8)

Quarter Final Results

Poland 1-2 Ukraine

Italy 0-2 Scotland

Portugal 3-0 Germany

Croatia 3-2 Ireland

June 2012 Update

FC St.Veit vs LASK Linz

So our pre-season began against a team from the Karnsten Landesliga, should be an easy victory for us. We started off very quickly, stongly attacking the St. Veit goal to no avail. We let them back into it though and new keeper Gspurning had to be on his toes to stop them from scoring. The half ended a disappointing 0-0 with the performance needing improvement.

Our finishing in the 2nd half was below par and we almost paid for it with 15 minutes to go as a ball found Zemasch in the box but keeper Gspurning made a good save. We had a fantastic chance ourselves at the end as a goal-kick was headed forward by Metz and the defender missed it allowing Kogler to be through but his shot was poor and the keeper saved it. A disappointing draw, hopefully we could move on.

EURO 2012 SEMI FINALS

Ukraine vs Croatia

The co-hosts of this competition are the only team to have won all their games so far and will no doubt be tough opposition. Croatia needed a late winner against Ireland to get here but were very impressive in the Group Stages, they could potentially face the team that came 2nd in their group Portugal in the final, neither team would be expected to make the final but one of them will be, should be a good one.

Preview: Between the two teams just one injury as Simunic is ruled out with a gashed leg. Ukraine are sticking with their 3-5-2 wing-back formation with Yarmolenko and Seleznyov again partnered up-front. Croatia also stick to their guns with a 4-4-2 but the midfield is reshuffled with Tomecak and Rakitic on the wings and Badelj partnering Modric in the middle as Petric replaces Mandzukic up-front with Olic.

5 - Rakitskyi's free-kick is deflected behind for a corner.

6 - Pletikosa handles the ball outside his area and gets away with a yellow card.

11 - Petric sets up Badelj from distance but he hits it over.

16 - Seleznyov trips Neretljak and is booked.

25 - Tymoschuk slips a ball in for Yarmolenko who sees his effort tipped round the post.

43 - Fedetskyi plays a great ball for Seleznyov but the shot is saved by Pletikosa.

45 - Modric trips Garmash and is booked.

45+1 - Half time

It's not been a great half but Ukraine are looking more likely, we could use some more entertainment though.

45 - Mykhalyk replaces Rakitskyi at half-time.

45 - Seleznyov's strike is deflected behind for a corner.

46 - Oschypko takes the corner and Seleznyov is highest but it's just over.

49 - Yarmolenko trips Lovren and is booked.

49 - Tomecak heads it to Olic who turns and shoots but it's wide.

51 - Modric lays it off to Rakitic from 30 yards who powers it over.

55 - Goal disallowed for Ukraine! Garmash slips the ball through for Fedetskyi who drills it into the far corner but the flag is up, a very close call but a correct one. Ukraine are furious but credit to Croatia for their organisation there.

56 - Shevchenko is on for Yarmolenko.

57 - Petric's cross is headed over by Olic.

60 - Olic is booked for tripping Tyomschuk.

65 - Rakitic swings in the corner which is headed over by Petric.

68 - Double sub for Croatia as Eduardo and Pranjic replace Rakitic and Petric.

68 - Shevchenko cuts in side and shoots and it's just wide.

70 - Kryvtsov is on for Tymoschuk.

73 - Mandzukic comes on for Olic.

73 - Mykhalyk is upended by Badelj who gets a yellow.

81 - Neretljak brings down Seleznyov and gets a yellow card.

90+5 - GOAL! Incredible late drama here, Srna swings in a cross which is headed in at the far post by Pranjic, Ukraine are furious as the officials had signalled only 4 minutes of added time. Croatia have left it late again but they're surely in the final now!

90+7 - Full time

Not a very exciting game but Pranjic's late winner gives Croatia a trip to the final, Ukraine will be extremely disappointed to have lost that game as they have been great so far but Croatia will face Portugal or Scotland in the final.

Ukraine 0-1 Croatia

Croatia: Pranjic (90+6)

MOTM: Srna (8)

Scotland vs Portugal

Scotland fans were ecstatic about qualifying for the Euros but to get this far has simply been the stuff of dreams, beating France, England and Italy to get to this stage without conceding is something even the best nations would be delighted with. They face another tough test here as Portugal who themselves have only lost to the other finalist Croatia will be keen to exact revenge and a 3-0 win over Germany shows they are not to be trifled with.

Preview: For the Scots, Gordon has a broken arm and Portugal have Almeida out with a twisted ankle which he picked up against the Germans and Postiga is suspended after being sent off in that game. Scotland will play with that 4-1-2-1-2 they have played with, Portugal will have their eye on Adam in the middle and Dorrans plays in behind Goodwillie and Naismith. Portugal have done well with that formation as well and match Scotland, Moutinho and Meireles will take on Adam and Fletcher in the middle of the park as Danny plays in behind a strange duo of Ronaldo and Vitoria Setubal striker Claudio Pitbull.

0 - Ronaldo has a go but hits it over.

1 - Ronaldo brings down his former team-mate Fletcher on the edge of the box and is booked.

1 - Adam's free-kick bends just wide of the post.

13 - Adam's free-kick is deflected behind for a corner.

14 - Adam's corner is headed over by McCulloch.

33 - Carvalho brings down Goodwillie who gets booked.

37 - Bosingwa's cross is headed over by Pitbull.

43 - Hutton's cross is glanced wide by Dorrans.

45+1 - GOAL! Portugal lead but it's a poor one to concede, Danny sets up Meireles from distance and his 30 yard shot is straight at McGregor who makes a mess of it and it goes in.

45+2 - Half time

Scotland have certainly not embarrassed themselves today but a mistake by McGregor has cost them and they need to go for a goal now.

51 - Coentrao's corner falls to Moutinho who puts it wide.

60 - Ronaldo bursts into the box and shoots but McGregor saves.

64 - Veloso is booked for bringing down Wallace who appeared to dive there.

65 - Miguel Veloso takes the free-kick instead of Ronaldo and it's just wide.

66 - Morrison replaces Dorrans for the Scottish.

67 - Morrison plays it to Fletcher on the edge of the box who shoots but Patricio makes a good catch.

74 - Santos and Alves replace Carvalho and Veloso.

74 - Adam trips Moutinho and gets a yellow card meaning he'll miss the final if they get there.

75 - GOAL disallowed for Scotland! Controversy here as Pepe fails to clear a cross and Naismith tackles him before Goodwillie finishes but the ref pulls it back for a foul by Naismith. Goodwillie is furious!

77 - Brown replaces Adam.

82 - Caldwell on for Wilson.

86 - Morrison picks out a great ball for Brown who has an incredible chance but hits the side-netting.

90 - Viana replaces the scorer Meireles.

90+4 - Full time

Portugal pick up the win but Scotland will be furious with the referee for disallowing what they thought was a legitimate goal, they did really well to get this far though and can hold their heads high, Portugal will now meet Croatia in the final.

Scotland 0-1 Portugal

Portugal: Meireles (45+1)

MOTM: Meireles (8.6)

Semi Final Results

Ukraine 0-1 Croatia

Scotland 0-1 Portugal

Euro 2012 Final

Croatia vs Portugal

NSC Olimpiyskyi, Kyiv

Croatia Road to the Final

Group D

Croatia 6

Portugal 6

Spain 3

Turkey 3

Quarter Final

Croatia 3-2 Ireland

Semi Final

Ukraine 0-1 Croatia

Portugal Road to the Final

Group D

Croatia 6

Portugal 6

Spain 3

Turkey 3

Quarter Final

Portugal 3-0 Germany

Semi Final

Scotland 0-1 Portugal

There was a team from Group D expected to make the final and neither of these teams were that team but since progressing from the Group Stage Croatia and Portugal have made it here. Croatia you could argue had the easier path, getting late winners against Ireland co-hosts Ukraine to get here, a 96th minute goal by Pranjic in the latter match. Portugal's path was a bit harder but it didn't appear that way as they dispatched of Germany 3-0, the impressive Scotland side gave them a run for their money but a great Meireles goal was enough to send them here, Portugal are favourites but Croatia did beat them in the Group Stages.

Preview: 2 injuries for Croatia, Lovren who won the Europa League for Lyon with his goal has a virus and Simunic has a gashed leg. Portugal are missing first choice keeper Rui Patricio through food poisoning and Almeida has a twisted ankle.

LINE-UPS

Croatia

GK: Pletikosa

RB: Srna

RCB: Vida

LCB: Schildenfeld

LB: Pranjic

RM: Rakitic

RCM: Modric

LCM: Corluka

LM: Strinic

ST: Olic

ST: Petric

Portugal

GK: Eduardo

RB: Bosingwa

RCB: Carvalho

LCB: Pepe

LB: Alves

DM: Santos

RCM: Meireles

LCM: Moutinho

AM: Danny

ST: Postiga

ST: Ronaldo

3 - Bosingwa is booked for a trip on Petric.

4 - Olic sets up Corluka for a go but it deflects behind for a corner.

5 - Pranjic's corner is met by Petric who sees his header saved.

8 - GOAL! Ronaldo makes a great run into the box and his shot flies past everyone and into the goal, great start for Portugal.

10 - Strinic to Petric who smashes it from a tight angle but it's over.

11 - GOAL! Rakitic plays a great through ball for Olic who rounds Eduardo before scoring in an empty net, great final so far!

15 - GOAL! Incredible! Pepe got away with a lapse of concentration in the semis but not this time, Olic takes it off him inside the box and picks out the far corner to give Croatia the lead! Pepe is arguing with the assistant for offside, but he had the ball so Olic didn't interfere whether he was off or not.

17 - RED CARD! This evening goes from bad to worse for Portugal and Pepe, the Real Madrid defender goes in late on Olic and recevies his marching orders, he walks off to a chorus of boos.

18 - In response to the red, Portugal replace Postiga with Coentrao.

18 - GOAL! And straight from the free-kick Croatia score again! Pranjic plays it across to Rakitic who drills it into the corner from about 20 yards out, game over?

22 - Danny curls it from a difficult area and Pletikosa spills it before Croatia clear.

23 - Moutinho's corner is headed into the side-netting by Alves.

36 - GOAL! Ronaldo gets the better of Srna in the box and his shot is just out of the reach of Pletikosa, the spectacle continues.

44 - Modric to Strinic who shoots but it goes wide.

45+2 - Croatia try that free-kick tactic again, Srna this time to Rakitic who shoots again but this time it's tipped over.

45+2 - Half time

What a half! 5 goals and a red card, Croatia are deservedly in front but the fact that Portugal are down to ten men should not make them complacent. Portugal held on to a 2-0 lead against Germany and even scored another when they were down to ten.

45 - Pitbull replaces Bosingwa at the break.

48 - Strinic plays it to Petric who gets into the box and hits it over.

52 - Not a great time for Coentrao, the sub is subbed for Rolando.

53 - Ronaldo's cross is met by Danny whose header is tipped wide.

56 - Ronaldo fires wide from distance.

58 - Ronaldo runs three quarters of the pitch and into the area but is selfish and tries to score a dream goal rather than pass it, it goes wide.

60 - Golden chance for Croatia, Rakitic's cross from the right finds Petric open but he volleys over.

67 - Eduardo replaces Petric.

73 - Badelj for Vida.

74 - Ronaldo trips Badelj and is booked.

78 - Tomecak replaces Rakitic

80 - Meireles threads it through for Ronaldo who has a great chance but Pletikosa saves low down.

80 - GOAL! Croatia hit Portugal on the break and Eduardo does well down the left and his cross finds sub Tomecak who scrambles it in 2 minutes after coming on, relief for Croatia.

82 - Another great chance for Portugal, straight from kick-off, Ronaldo goes round the defence, his shot is saved, the rebound falls to Danny who has an empty net somehow puts it wide.

83 - Modric's free-kick is headed over by Corluka, he was open.

90 - Pranjic is booked for upending Pitbull.

90 - Moutinho's free-kick is headed over by Pitbull.

90+3 - Full time

Croatia are the European Champions, they did get a bit of fortune but were worthy winners in the end. I'd imagine a lot of Portuguese fans will be calling for the head of Pepe who could be held accountable for the 2nd and 3rd goals as well as getting sent off.

Croatia 4-2 Portugal

Croatia: Olic (12, 16), Rakitic (19), Tomecak (81)

Portugal: Ronaldo (8, 37), Pepe (18)

MOTM: Olic (8.8)

Final Result

Croatia 4-2 Portugal

Euro 2012 Summary

Awards

GOLDEN BOOT

1. Andriy Yarmolenko (Dynamo Kyiv/Ukraine) 5 games 4 goals

2. Cristiano Ronaldo (R. Madrid/Portugal) 6 games 4 goals

3. David Villa (Barcelona/Spain) 3 games 3 goals

PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT

1. Cristiano Ronaldo (R. Madrid/Portugal)

2. Darijo Srna (Man City/Croatia)

3. Ivica Olic (FC Bayern/Croatia)

GOAL OF THE TOURNAMENT

A truly memorable goal from Portugal centre midfielder Raul Meireles as he hits a long range curling shot.

Scotland central midfielder Adam shows his class by scoring a powerful long range strike.

Doyle scores a tidy finish to round off a great team move.

DREAM TEAM

GK: Stipe Pletikosa (Rostov/Croatia)

RB: Lukasz Piszczek (Dortmund/Poland)

RCB: Bruno Alves (Zenit/Portugal)

LCB: Dmytro Chygrynskyi (Shakhtar/Ukraine)

LB: Fabio Coentrao (R. Madrid/Portugal)

RM: Darijo Srna (Man City/Croatia)

RCM: Charlie Adam (Liverpool/Scotland)

LCM: Raul Meireles (Chelsea/Portugal)

LM: Danijel Pranjic (FC Bayern/Croatia)

ST: Cristiano Ronaldo (R. Madrid/Portugal)

ST: Andriy Yarmolenko (Dynamo Kyiv/Ukraine)

Subs

Rui Patricio (Sporting/Portugal)

Marc Wilson (Stoke/Ireland)

Ivan Rakitic (Sevilla/Croatia)

Denys Garmash (Dynamo Kyiv/Ukraine)

Ivica Olic (FC Bayern/Croatia)

Yaroslav Rakitskyi (Shakhtar/Ukraine)

Robbie Keane (Los Angeles/Ireland)

Dejan Lovren (Olympique Lyonnais/Croatia)

Ivan Tomecak (Hannover/Croatia)

Danny (Zenit/Portugal)

Shane Long (West Brom/Ireland)

Lee McCulloch (Rangers/Scotland)

July 2012 Update

Board Meeting

My annual meeting with the board didn't go as well as I hoped, I did manage to persuade them to look for a parent club for some cheap labour though. Our link with Boca Juniors was terminated, I enjoyed being their parent club while it lasted!

Transfers Out

30/6/12

Harald Unverdorben 31 Austria (RAM/ST) Released

Was actually our 2nd top scorer last season but only before I came, I wasn't convinced by his performances and with his age as well, it was time to let him go.

Ulrich Winkler 27 Austria (CB/DM) Released

Made it into team of the year last year but didn't see him in our future plans as he is not that good a player.

Pavao Pervan 24 Croatia/Austria (GK) Released

Made 1 appearance for us, wasn't bad and had potential but his constant moaning about playing 2nd fiddle meant that he had to go.

Daniel Kogler 23 Austria (AM/ST) Released

Dominik Mayrwoger 20 Austria (ST) Released

Daniel Mair 21 Austria (RAM/AM) Released

Kevin Buchberger 21 Austria (RB/CB) Released

Transfers In

23/6/12

Ragnvald Soma 32 Norway (CB) Loan from SK Rapid Wien ★★★/★★★

Possibly a familiar name to West Ham fans, as he played 7 games for them as a youngster. Since, he has played in Norway and then for Rapid Wien, adds some much needed depth to our back-line.

27/6/12

Cristian Alvarez 34 El Salvador (DM/CM/AM) Free Agent (Last Club: FAS) ★★★½/★★★½

Admittedly I took a gamble on the El Salvador international, his agent offered him to me and I couldn't scout him due to our lack of scouting range so I offered him a contract and he looks good, can play anywhere in the middle, even up-front if need be. He has played in El Salvador with FAS his whole career but for brief spells CD Dragon and in Portugal with Espinho.

1/7/12

Stefan Nutz 20 Austria (RM/CM/RAM/AM) Free from Grazer AK ★★/★★★½

Marcel van der Sloot 32 Holland (CM) Free from FC Oss ★★★★/★★★★

The transfer of Marcel was agreed a long time ago and I'm very pleased to sign him, I may need to tweak the tactics a little to bring him in to the team, but could fit in as an AM or LM. Vidakovic was quick to praise my signing of him.

Rene Fink 19 Austria (CM/AM) Free from FC Hard ★½/★★★½

Alexander Haider 17 Austria (CM/AM) Free from FC Pasching ★½/★★★★

Martin Salentinig 19 Austria (RB/RWB/RM) Free from SK Austria Klagenfurt ★½/★★★½

Daniel Petrovic 19 Serbia/Austria (CB) Free from FC Pasching ★½/★★★½

Akin Ozturk 19 Turkey (RB/CB/LB) Free from FC Pasching ★/★★★½

Aleksandar Vukovic 32 Serbia/Bosnia & Herz./Poland (DM/CM) Free from Korona Kielce ★★★★/★★★★

Another signing Vidakovic was quick to praise, Vukovic has spent the majority of his career in Poland with Legia as well as having spells in Greece with Ergotelis and Iraklis after starting at Partizan.

4/7/12

Zoro 28 Ivort Coast (CB) £7K from KV Mechelen ★★★★/★★★★

The Ivorian international is the first player I spent money on and he looks worth it, straight into the first team for the defender who has 22 caps for his country. He has experience in the top tiers of Italy, Portugal, Romania and Belgium, notably playing for Messina in Serie A and Benfica in the Portuguese League.

12/7/12

Markus Katzer 32 Austria (LB/LWB/LM) Loan from SK Rapid Wien ★★★½/★★★½

11 caps for Austria and still quality, a wealth of experience in Austria, a very useful signing for practically nothing!

Andreas Malin 18 Austria (LAM) 70K from FC Lustenau 1907 ★/★★★½

13/7/12

Julian Rupp 19 Austria (LM/LAM) 75K from FC Lustenau 1907 ★½/★★★★

Pius Grabher 18 Austria (CM/AM) 70K from SC Austria Lustenau ★½/★★★★

Valerian Hofler 19 Austria (CB/DM) Free Agent (Last Club: TSV Neumarkt) ★/★★★

15/7/12

Johannes Waldinger 19 Austria (CB/DM Free Agent (Last Club: FC Kufstein) ★/★★★½

As well as these transfers, we were boosted by the news that Kobleder rejected an offer from First Vienna who won the First Division last year to sign on with us.

(Friendly)

We face what should be an easy friendly against a team from the Tiroler Landesliga, we drew the last one 0-0 though so we aren't guaranteed to win. We started disappointingly and the first good chance fell to the home side, a good ball found Holzer whose shot was saved by Gspurning. We came close a couple of times before the end of the half but couldn't find the target, it was looking like another 0-0 at the break.

We did take the lead eventually after 71 minutes, a great through ball by Metz putting Aigner through who lashed it into the top corner, a great strike to open the scoring. We kept trying, a great one-two between Kaufmann and Metz saw the former with a chance which was saved by the keeper. We did eventually get a second when Kaufmann picked up a loose ball and struck it sweetly into the bottom corner. The game ended with us getting a deserved win and I was satisfied with our second half performance and the victory. A big morale boost to the team too.

LASK: Aigner (72), Kaufmann (81)

(Friendly)

Our biggest pre-season challenge sees us face Ligue 1 opposition, I hope the lads make me proud today. It's good experience for them either way. Caen started better as Lejeune's shot was tipped round the post by Gspurning. However it was us who took the lead as new signing Haider slipped in Freudenthaler who finished the move off. Caen kept trying though with Nabab finding his way into the box before putting it wide. Caen eventually got their goal though, no-one read a deep cross into the box but Romain Hamouma who headed in. We managed to end the half level despite Caen dominating, we were putting up a good fight though.

Caen quickly took the lead in the 2nd half, coming from another cross which was headed in by Livio Nabab. They weren't done yet though as a scramble in the box was eventually put away by Nabab for his 2nd. The game ended 3-1 but we didn't make fools of ourselves and should be proud of the way we played against a Ligue 1 side.

LASK: Freudenthaler (10)

Caen: Hamouma (38), Nabab (50, 77)

(Friendly)

So a trip to Germany to face Third Division Aue, we should win here but I'm not too sure how the German 3rd tier compares to the 2nd tier of Austria, hopefully in our favour. We made a good start but almost conceded when a hopeful effort by Schroder hit the cross-bar. We hit them on the break though and when Aigner's cross was spilt by the keeper, Vidakovic had the easiest goal of his life to put us in front. However our lead lasted a mere ten minutes, Aue hit us on the break and a cross from the left was bizarrely headed towards his own goal by Barry which hit the bar which fell to Alban Ramaj who had a simple header. They almost scored again when Ramaj was put through but his shot was saved by Mandl. A snap shot by Aigner was then tipped over the cross-bar. We did retake our lead, a clever pass by Zangerl for Vidakovic and a beautifully placed finish for his 2nd. There was a slight worry as Zangerl picked up a knock, he was replaced by Wurmlinger to avoid any more trouble. We perhaps could have ended the half with more goals, but we were leading at half-time for the first time in pre-season.

We had the first chance of the second half as Schellander's delivery was met by an unmarked Barry who headed it straight at the keeper. We were soon pegged back though after a monstrous strike by Marc Hensel flew into the top corner, a terrific goal. Curri then had a chance to give them the lead but Mandl made a great save. A corner was then met by Kern who hit the cross-bar. We were definitely on the back foot. Curri turned and shot a minute later producing another magnificent save from Mandl. There was yet another scare when Ramaj's effort was spilt by Mandl and he got to the rebound but could only shoot at Mandl again. Curri forced yet another save out of Mandl with a curling effort, how were we not losing! With a minute to go, Aue's threat finally seemed to go when Christian Kohler hacked Vidakovic down with two feet and saw red. We had a chance in the last minute when Aigner shot from a tight angle but the keeper had his angles covered. The ball was cleared behind for a corner and I was sure as hell not expecting Schellander's delivery to be met by Barry who headed home to give us a late, late winner. The American has scored 2 goals for us and both have come in injury time. So we won a game we had absolutely no right to win, Thomas Mandl saved us from an embarrassing defeat here.

LASK: Vidakovic (11, 36), Barry (90+3)

Aue: Ramaj (22), Hensel (58), Kohler (90)

(Friendly)

We found it very tough against a team from the German Third Division now we face a team in the 2nd Division, hopefully we can hold our own and get a result in our final pre-season friendly. It was a quiet start but we had the first attempt on goal as Kragl played it across for Murg whose effort was saved by the keeper. We took the lead a little later though, Kaufmann did well to make an opening to cross the ball and Kragl had a simple finish at the back post. Kragl then produced a great bit of skill to get round the defence before seeing his effort tipped round the post. Union Berlin then threatened and came close when Onur Kaya's effort shaved the cross-bar. Kragl was proving a big threat to their defence, getting round them again but a poor finish was easily saved. I was satisfied with our performance and lead at the break.

We gave the ball away straight from kick-off and a cross was met by Onur Kaya whose header was saved by Mandl. Kragl set up Freudenthaler for an effort which hit the post. Union Berlin thought they'd equalised when Zoundi headed in a cross from the left but the flag was rightly up for offside despite complaints from the Germans. We had a last minute goal disallowed ourselves as Hart's cross was headed in by Kragl, he was miles offside though. We ended the game with a good victory to round off a good pre-season.

LASK: Kragl (19)

S

(Austrian First Division)

Yes, the season does start in July... My managerial career started against St Polten and so does the season, played them 3 times and won them all so I have faith we can get or season off to an ideal start. Gspurning, Zoro and Katzer make their league debuts today. It took us just 28 seconds to challenge the keeper as Kaufmann played it across for Aufhauser whose effort was saved well. St Polten were also quick to attack as Falk somehow missed from close range. They did lead after 4 minutes when Christian Falk headed in a free-kick. They almost scored again when Falk once again got a header which hit the bar. We weren't playing well as Thurauer's long range effort struck our post and the rebound was offside. On the stroke of half-time, even more bad news as Katzer suffered an injury forcing another debutant on in Salentinig. 1-0 down at half-time, was this really how we wanted to start?

We were soon in bigger doo-doo as we failed to defend another set-piece, this time a corner and Falk headed in his 2nd, a dream debut for him. Falk then had another chance but Gspurning tipped his shot over the bar. We got back into it after that but it was a poor opening day, far from the standards I expect from this team.

St Polten: Falk (5, 60)

Hoping to fare better in our first home match, that said St Andra were the first team to ever beat me on this save so we have to watch out, plus the other match was midweek so we have some tired players. Alvarez and Nutz start for their debuts today. We got off to the worst possible start yet again as a through ball sent through Stephan Stuckler who tucked it away to give St Andra the lead. Clearly infuriated by their goal, we bounced back straight away, Vidakovic giving to Aigner who took a touch before picking out the corner as he so often does. Murg then threaded it through for Aigner who blazed it wide. Then Aigner was fouled by Sollbauer in the box and we had ourselves a penalty. However, it was a terrible one as uncharacteristically Aigner blazed it well over the bar, almost as high as a Charlie Adam! We kept going, Murg giving it to Aigner whose shot was tipped over. Aigner then found a gap at the edge of the box and shot but the keeper saved again. Aigner seemed to want to win this on his own! Despite our first half dominance, we went in level at the break, hopeully we could grab a second half goal.

Just as I said that, we came out of the 2nd half straight out of the blocks, Aigner showed great striker instincts to get to Murg's blocked shot and drill it into the far corner to put us in front and him on a hat-trick. We could have had a third when the ball was cleared as far as Alvarez whose spectacular volley was saved by the keeper. As for Aigner, he was a man on a mission today when the keeper's drop-kick was headed forward by Ali Hamdemir, Aigner was through on goal and smashed it in to get his hat-trick. In the last minute, it was our turn to give away a penalty as Mijatovic was brought down by Zoro, who has been a slightly disappointing signing so far. Gernot Messner got lucky, scoring off the underside of the bar but it gave St Andra another consolation to make this game seem a lot closer than it was. We won 3-2 and I can only thank the heavens for Hannes Aigner, a great performance by him today even if he did miss a penalty to get us back on track.

LASK: Aigner (7, 46, 59, missed pen 18)

St. Andra: Stuckler (5), Messner (pen 90+2)

We face newly promoted Wattens in the months last game, we beat them 1-0 in a friendly last year and we're hoping to beat them again this year. Wattens were dominant early on, coming close a couple of times, Medjedovic's effort was straight at Gspurning who couldn't hold it. A cross was then headed just over by Gilewicz. Right before half-time, Medjedovic was sent through but Gspurning saved, unfortunately the rebound fell to Pablo Encarnacion who scored the rebound. A very poor half, we needed to a lot better than that.

We almost equalised immediately when Aufhauser's curler dropped just wide. We did get it a couple of minutes later, Vidakoivc tapping it to Freudenthaler who curled it in from the edge of the area, a great finish. We then took the lead as Aigner reached a long ball to get to the byline and pulled it back for Vidakovic who tucked it away, things were looking good again. Kaufmann decided he wanted to get in on the action but his shot was saved by the keeper. Petrovic came on for us to make a late Linz debut. 3 minutes after the 3 minutes meant to be added on, the ref blew the final whistle to give us a good victory here.

LASK: Freduenthaler (49), Vidakovic (66)

Wattens: Encarnacion (45)

Summary: Pre-season ended positively, a few wins under our belt and goals coming from all over the park. Unfortunately, we couldn't continue that into the season as we lost a disappointing first match. However we recovered to put in an incredible performance against St Andra with Aigner especially on top form, grabbing a hat-trick. Even WSG Wattens had the lead against us but we overturned it to get 6 points out of 9. My one problem is that we conceded the first goal in each league game this month. Only one team won all 3 of their matches so far, our rivals BW Linz, hopefully we can stop them.

austrianfirstdivisionov.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[video=youtube;2qJP76-uq2M]

With 50% of the votes, this goal won goal of the season last year.

Hannes Aigner had a few words to say on receiving his award

"I am very happy to receive this award, I'd like to thank the people that voted for my goal and of course Srdjan for playing that brilliant pass to put me through, I saw an opportunity to give us the lead in an important match and I took it, the most important thing was we won the game but it is always nice to receive an award, hopefully the team has better goals to choose from next season"

August 2012 Update

News: Spain sacked Vicente del Bosque for failing to get out of the Group Stages and Pep Guardiola replaced him. Also the LASK Juniors were knocked out of the cup 2-1 by SC Kalsdorf.

Transfer Out

11/8/12

Luiz Henrique 26 Brazil (CM/AM) Mutual Termination

He was never happy here as I never played and decided to approach me with the termination of his contract on my birthday, I can imagine him just walking in on my party to ask for a termination :p. Anyway, his departure allows me to register another foreign player.

Transfer In

10/8/12

Andreas Tiffner 21 Austria (ST) Free Agent (Last Club: FK Austria Wien) ★★/★★★★

He rejected SC Austria Lustenau to come here.

20/8/12

Dominic Berger 19 Austria (RB) $2.5K from Kapfenberger SV 1919 ★/★★½

23/8/12

Manuel Schuttelkopf 17 Austria (RM/RAM) £400 from SK Austria Klagenfurt ☆☆☆☆½/★★★½

Sounds like shuttlecock :p

(White Stars are Youth Stars)

So we face 2 newly promoted teams in a row, at home especially we should win this one but I make no guarantees. We almost lost a goal after a terrible control by Hart saw him lose it to Pollack who was through but put it wide. Pollack then headed a delivery from a free-kick just over, again we weren't playing well. We had a few chances of our own and eventually Kaufmann's corner was headed over by Zoro. Right before half-time Aigner drilled a shot in on goal which the keeper saved but he just couldn't react in time to stop Murg score his first competitive goal for the club on the rebound, about time he scored too. So we led 1-0 at the break and hopefully we could at least hold on in the second half.

5 minutes into the second half and we were on the attack again, Vidakovic to Aigner who turned before blasting in to continue his goal-a-game ratio so far. We almost got another late on as Hart's cross was headed just wide by Freudenthaler. It was a comfortable win in the end and 3 points is always helpful. We go up to 2nd now, behind our rivals BW Linz.

LASK: Murg (44), Aigner (51)

So, we meet our rivals again, so far I've played them three times and drawn with them 3 times, we were a bit lucky last time we played them as we got a late leveller. BW Linz have won all their matches so far so this will be a tough match but we've hit a bit of form as well and won't be easy. 3 minutes gone and BW Linz almost scored as Sand's shot from a tight angle was well saved by Gspurning. They almost scored when Hassler got to a loose ball before Kobleder and was through but put it over the bar. Our first shot came 10 minutes before half-time and boy did we make it count, Schellander put in a cross from the right which Aigner (again) headed in to the corner to give us the lead. They were still dominant though and a free-kick was crossed in and Knabel's header hit the cross-bar. 1-0 up at the break and we certainly didn't deserve it, I'd be more than happy with the three points though.

BW Linz had a great chance to equalise when a blocked shot fell to Kastner who was open but his header was straight at Gspurning. BW Linz did equalise in the end but the manner of it was very displeasing, a straight forward clipped ball from a free-kick got past the defence and Daniel Kastner headed past Gspurning. There was to be late drama at this derby, to my fury BW Linz got a penalty, they tried to shoot a free-kick and it went over the bar and for some crazy reason the referee pulled it back for a foul by Zoro on Holtschl, the 2nd penalty the Ivorian has given away this season. We were outraged with the decision. Justice was done in the end as Tesevic blew the penalty over the bar, huge sigh of relief for us. We were so close to a last minute winner when Kaufmann's corner picked out Zoro but his header was over the bar. Another derby, another draw, it seems destined to happen to us these days. We go down to 3rd but we didn't lose to the team at the top at least.

LASK: Aigner (36)

BW Linz: Kastner (71), Tesevic (missed pen 86)

(Austrian FA Cup 1st Round)

I said I had every intention of taking this team as far as I could in the cup and we have a fairly easy opener against Salzburger Liga side UFC SV Hallwang, we should win this one but can't afford to be complacent. Soma makes his Linz debut today. We got the lead about ten minutes in, good play by Murg to play it for Nutz who placed it into the corner for his first goal for the club. We soon scored again when Aigner played it to Murg who picked out the corner from the edge of the box. Then Aigner did well to spot the run of Vidakovic whose side-footed effort hit the post. We ended the half 2-0 up and looking comfortable, too easy so far.

The 2nd half passed by rather quietly, we almost scored again late on as Aufhauser's 25 yarder was well saved. We did get a third goal as Kaufmann's corner was headed into the far corner by Zoro, getting his first for the club. A positive 3-0 victory to take us to the next stage of the cup.

LASK: Nutz (13), Murg (23), Zoro (90)

We've lost our last two games against Altach, the last one pretty much losing us any hope we had at the title so we'll be out for revenge which we can hopefully deliver. The first half passed by quietly and it was 0-0 at the break, both sides had half-chances but nothing clear-cut.

We fell behind in the 2nd half when a cross was tapped in by Tomi Correa, could Altach do this to us again! We should have levelled it with 5 minutes to go when Kreuzriegler's cross fell to Vidakovic who hit the side-netting. So we ended up with a disappointing defeat to a team I'm really starting to hate.

Altach: Tomi Correa (59)

Grodig are another team I've never beaten but also never lost to, we have a great chance here though, they have just 2 points so far and are looking like relegation candidates. Well that didn't go well, less than a minute in and Mersudin Jukic's tight-angled effort slips into the net to give Grodig the lead. Nutz was then forced off with injury, with Murg coming on in his place. We should have levelled when Murg slipped in Kragl but his shot was saved. A terrific volley by Jukic was then tipped over by Gspurning. 1-0 down at the break, this just would not do.

On the hour mark we had claims for a penalty for a foul by Bolter on Freudenthaler which were denied. We were hit on the counter and it resulted in a beautiful lob by Diego Viana to put us 2-0 down. We were back in it though with 16 minutes to go as a goalmouth scramble saw Metz volley it into the corner, a goal similar to the one Surman scored against City today. Schellander then had a free-kick which hit the bar, we were starting to look more likely. Late on, all of a sudden a defence splitting ball by Alvarez put Freudenthaler through but his shot was easily saved and cleared. That was it, 2 defeats in a row but one we should have got three points from. What's more the injury to Nutz is a serious one 4/5 months out with a torn calf muscle. My assistant vented out his anger at the referee and received a warning as it was the right decision.

LASK: Metz (75)

Grodig: Jukic (1), Diego Viana (67)

(Austrian 1st Division)

Terrible news before this match was that Vidakovic had picked up a hernia ruling him out for over a month of football, we surely didn't need him to host a team with just one point so far? With Zoro and Alvarez also away on international duty, van der Sloot made his LASK debut today. It was worrying to see Hartberg dominate the early stages but we found our way back into it and Freudenthaler should have scored after getting past the last man but hit the side-netting. Van der Sloot then made a great run into the box before his shot was saved. However we ended up losing the first goal as Prietl's shot was well saved but Lukas Mossner tapped in the rebound, what was going on! Murg slipped in Kaufmann on the stroke of half-time who somehow fired well wide, a poor effort. 1-0 down at the break and I don't know what to do, how do you get up from an all-time low.

Don't do what we just did, a corner found Matej Miljanovic who dive-headed it in to probably seal our defeat. A poor result, very poor, they only had 1 point before this. WTH just happened!

Hartberg: Mossner (39), Miljatovic (54)

(Austrian 1st Division)

When you lose 3 in a row, the last team you need to face are the team that are top of the table. Nevertheless, a successful team meeting before the match has restored some morale so hopefully we can get something here. Scharsching makes his debut for the club today. It was another terrible start as a long ball found Mario Reiter who smashed it into the roof of the net. We were to concede again when Manuel Hartl smashed it into the back of the net. Alvarez protested for offside to no avail, he was just on. We then had a free-kick which Kaufmann swung in, Zoro had a free header which somehow hit the bar. 2-0 down at half-time and not exactly looking good for us.

We came close after the break as Kaufmann's corner was headed just over by Zoro. However, our woes weren't over, a good through ball found Thomas Helly who added to the list of scorers. We tried to get one back, Kragl laying off Kaufmann whose effort was well saved. Another miserable defeat seeing us go down to 7th, we were terrible yet again.

Wiener Neustadt: Reiter (3), Hartl (28), Helly (68)

(Austrian 1st Division)

Looking for revenge for our opening day defeat to St Polten and get our terrible form back on track, rumours are flying around I'll get the sack so this is an important game! It was a quiet first half with no real clearcut chances but we were playing a lot better as it ended 0-0.

The game seemed to be heading for a 0-0 when all of a sudden out of nowhere, Murg had space from 25 yards out and sent a beauty into the far corner, what a goal! We weren't done yet though, van der Sloot sent in a corner which was headed in perfectly by Zoro to double our lead. Late on, we had another corner, in it came from van der Sloot, Zoro headed it back across goal and Kobleder had a simple finish, 3-0. A terrific 2nd half, where have these performances been this month?

LASK: Murg (70), Zoro (78), Kobleder (89)

Summary: This month actually got off to a good start with a good win against Wiener and a decent draw with BW Linz who had won all their matches up to that point. Then it fell apart with 4 consecutive defeats which was terrible. We got a good result at the end of the month which will hopefully help us bounce back but just look at the table :(.

September 2012 Update

(Austrian 1st Division)

We beat St Andra in our last meeting but still face a tough away game here. Due to our current form, I decided a change of tactics was needed so I am now trying out a 4-5-1 as I'm not finding a good enough striker to partner Aigner so I'm strengthening the midfield instead. Freudenthaler picked up a hernia before the match which isn't good news. As per usual, we let in an early goal as Markus Kreuz picked out the top corner from the edge of the box, weak start. We tried to get a quick leveller, Katzer finding Aigner whose shot was well saved. However, it was a case of 2nd shot, 2nd goal for St Andra as Mario Mijatovic bent it into the corner and this one looked over. We got a lifeline a few minutes later though, Aufhauser threading it through for Aigner who ended a 600 minute goal drought by placing it into the corner, was that the turning point? St Andra tried to add to their lead and Gotal's fierce effort from a tight angle was fisted away by Gspurning. We were 2-1 behind at the break and still very much in it, unfortunately Zoro picked up and injury and had to be replaced by Kobleder.

The first major event of the 2nd half was denied claims of a penalty by Kragl for a foul on him by Sollbauer. However, it didn't matter as we actually did find an equaliser with 20 minutes to go, it was a great goal as well. Kragl picked up the ball on the right hand side, cut in and curled it into the far corner. Neither side tried to win it after that, and the game ended in a draw. Bad news on the injury front as Zoro will be out for 2 months with strained knee ligaments.

LASK: Aigner (19), Kragl (71)

St Andra: Kreuz (2), Mijatovic (15)

Summary: Well, a draw with St. Andra was the last straw with the LASK board and I'm on the job hunt again :(. Here is the league table before I left. The team was quality but just wouldn't perform when I wanted them to. It could be a while before another Austrian team needs a manager but I'll wait. Ex Juve & Fiorentina player Stefano Pioli will take over from me.

LASK Linz Results

LASK Linz 5-1 WSG Wattens (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Kragl (16), Aigner (38, 40, pen 51), Grubeck (86)

Wattens: Pranter (89)

SV Wienerberg 0-6 LASK Linz (Austrian FA Cup 2nd Round)

LASK: Grubeck (1, 17, 22), Murg (14, 58), Blutsch (24)

Wiener Sportklub 1-1 LASK Linz

LASK: Murg (67)

Wiener: Novak (90)

October 2012 Update

Still looking for a job. I had a job application rejected by SCR Altach but they did say they would consider me, no other openings yet.

LASK Linz Results

LASK Linz 2-2 FC BW Linz (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Aigner (2), Kragl (8)

BW Linz: Knabel (43), Tesevic (81)

SCR Altach 1-2 LASK Linz (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Murg (11, 69)

Altach: Vidakovic OG (77)

LASK Linz 3-0 SV Grodig (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Grubeck (10), Murg (35), Vidakovic (71)

LASK Linz 0-1 SK Rapid Wien (Austrian FA Cup 3rd Round)

LASK: Vukovic (74)

Wien: Ildiz (90+1), Baha (12)

Ah, that sacking was a tad harsh IMO. It's not like you were in any danger of being sucked into the relegation zone :(

Yeah I would have liked a bit more time, especially with quality signings lined up for January but this new manager is certainly making me look incompetent.

• 1 month later...

November 2012 Update

No jobs even available :(

LASK Linz Results

LASK Linz 4-1 SC Wiener Neustadt (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Murg (14, 24), Vidakovic (68), Kragl (73)

Wiener Neustadt: Helly (31)

TSV Hartberg 4-2 LASK Linz (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Aigner (pen 5), van der Sloot (10)

Hartberg: Cem Atan (1), Zivny (31), Bytyci (34, 70)

SKN St. Polten 1-1 LASK Linz (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Vidakovic (11)

St. Polten: Falk (17)

LASK Linz 2-0 WAC - St Andra (Austrian 1st Division)

LASK: Blutsch (24, 29)

New Year 2013 Around the World Update

Champions League

A fairly unsurprising group stage with the only shock seeing Shakhtar fail to get out of the Group Stage at the expense of Zenit. The English clubs did well, Chelsea and Man United topped their groups, United not even dropping a point (although their group was fairly easy). Liverpool and Arsenal also made it through as runners up.

A-D

E-H

Europa League

No shocks in the Europa League really, the English sides once again excelling in the competition with Tottenham, Man City and Everton all topping their groups pretty comfortably. Tottenham overcame a group with AZ, Saint-Etienne and Sturm Graz to make it, a home loss against the Dutch side being the only blip in their group stage. City had a comfortable group with Rapid Bucharest, Standard and Rosenborg, the only time they dropped points was a 1-1 draw in Romania. 2 victories over PSV were vital for Everton in receiving top spot as they lost to PAOK and drew with Vitoria Guimaraes elsewhere in the group, topping it by 3 points.

Club World Cup

Sao Paulo were the Copa Libertadores winners and thus entered the CWC for the South Americans, they were to face Mexican side Morelia in the semi-final where they won a close-fought battle 1-0 thanks to a goal from Ivan Piris. Elsewhere in the semis, Arsenal would be the first London club competing in this competition and they faced Saudi Arabians Al-Ahli, the Gunners were dominant but could only win by the 1 goal which came rather late on by Laurent Koscielny. So as expected, it was South America vs Europe in the final but it was the first half that decided it. Sao Paulo were rampant in the first 45 with Luis Fabiano, Lucas Moura and Cicero all scoring to all but win it for the Brazilians, Arsenal did try but couldn't even get one goal back as Sao Paulo were crowned champions for the 2nd time in their history, the other was in 2005.

World Player of the Year

1. Lionel Messi (Barca)

2. Alexis Sanchez (Barca)

3. Edinson Cavani (Napoli)

World Golden Ball

1. Lionel Messi (Barca)

2. Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

3. David Villa (Barca)

World Team of the Year

GK: Iker Casillas (Real)

RB: Daniel Alves (Barca)

RCB: Gerard Pique (Barca)