Help! What's the best way to play Aguero in FM12

I'm 4 seasons in on a network game with a mate, he's man u, and he's won 3 out of 3 prems so far. I've finished 2nd 3 seasons in a row and have done ok.

Aguero is the main striker I've kept and I'm currently deploying a 4-2-3-1 with Aguero up top. He blows hot and cold though where as my mate seems to consistently get the best out of his strikers. I think perhaps I haven't got the right duties and role for Aguero yet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI he's played about 30 games so far this season and scored about 22 goals. Not bad but that's including a recent 5 game baron spell which is incredibly frustrating when I'm watching my mate score record amounts of goals lol.

I'm 4 seasons in on a network game with a mate, he's man u, and he's won 3 out of 3 prems so far. I've finished 2nd 3 seasons in a row and have done ok.

Aguero is the main striker I've kept and I'm currently deploying a 4-2-3-1 with Aguero up top. He blows hot and cold though where as my mate seems to consistently get the best out of his strikers. I think perhaps I haven't got the right duties and role for Aguero yet.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI he's played about 30 games so far this season and scored about 22 goals. Not bad but that's including a recent 5 game baron spell which is incredibly frustrating when I'm watching my mate score record amounts of goals lol.

i wd suggest tinkering with his duties until u come up with the best role for him. each game is different and there is no one set way to play. work it out for yourself basically as each individual game is different so wot works against say wigan might not be the answer against say everton or your mate. i would wager a bet thats what your mate does ; )

What does the coach report say? Does the suggested role fit with your style of play and/or the tactics you're using? Maybe if you could say more about your tactical instructions?

My game suggests trequartista but I'm not sure if this would work well in a 4-5-1 because you might have too few players in the penalty area. In any case getting more players running into the penalty box might help Aguero a lot because then the defenders will have lots to worry about. Setting all 4 of your forwards to roam might also help drag the defence around in all directions.

22 goals in 30 is nothing to baulk at, do you think Alex Ferguson looks at Van Persie's record goalscoring and tinkers with Rooney/Welbeck/Hernandez's set-up to try to get them to score more?

As for the dry spell, you need to work out, as a tactician, why he isnt' scoring. Is he missing chances that he'd normally put away? Is he not getting the chances? Why isn't get getting the chances? Is your main "through-ball-player" in the middle not giving him the supply he's used to? Are your wingers putting more crosses in? (Aguero's not going to win many headers in the box, so you're better off keeping it on the ground). Are you inside forwards cutting in and bringing other defenders into Aguero's space? Are they crowding out your AM who's passes Aguero relies on?

You have to think of the kinds of goals he scores easiest: turning the defender and getting a shot away? I doubt it. Timing a run off the ball and breaking free for a 1-on-1? Probably. Dropping deep and running at defenders to either set others up or score himself? Yes.

So with that in mind, you want him able to break the line to latch onto a ball, but you also want him to drop deep to collect the ball. With that, I'd suggest Advanced Forward. I can't remember if that has RFD set to Often, or whether Aguero has "drops deep" PPM. But assuming neither, you want him of RFD Mixed, Roaming, that way he'll make some runs, but won't hug the offside line, and he'll drop when it's needed.

Keep an eye on that though, if he's taking too many players on with his dribbles, it might be worth either knocking RWB down to mixed or lifting TTB up to Often to give him another option.

This all depends massively on how your midfield is set-up of course. But I'd set my MF up to suit Aguero, not the other way around.

Thanks stam, i agree with your last statement, I am of the same mind that I need to set up the team to suit him, my mate who I play against in the network game knows about this post so I have to be careful what I give away. But heres how I set up with my best available side;

Hart

Sergio Ramos ( rb) kompany & chiellini (cb) Baines ( lb)

Yaya & Milner ( cm )

Hulk (rw or if) pastore ( ap ) Bale or Nasri ( lw or if )

Aguero

I toyed with it a little earlier this season as set Aguero to RFD set to none on the slider so he didn't drop deep and led the line and this gave great success with him going on a great scoring streak of like 15 games sometimes scoring 2, the reason I posted is that for no apparent reason he went off the boil again without me changing anything. Soul Destroying stuff as my mate has continued winning and now has an 8 point lead and looks good for his 4th prem in a row making me look like I don't know what I am doing lol.

Maybe I don't but with a team like that and with other players like Ramsey, wilshere, ibrahimovic, benzema, and a raft of talented young regents at the club I am struggling to work out where I am going wrong. Recently went out to real Madrid in the first knockout stage of the champs lge as well, where Aguero got a 5.9 and missed two sitters, even s. was still 2-1 up on agg until the 86 th minute before the scored and took it to et. Sometimes fm is so harsh lol.

Souter, if your reading this, well done winning the lge.

I have Aguero on my Barca team in the 3rd season and also use him as STC in a 4-2-3-1 formation. He is hot or cold for me too. IMO his "shoots from distance" PPM is a problem. It disrupts the flow of my perfectly set up attack when he takes shots from far away (I use the "work ball into box" shout). However, once he is closer to goal, he puts them in. Therefore, I try to give him role and duty that is low on Creative Freedom, positions him closer to goal and involves running with the ball - Poacher or DLF/attack.

I've found that he is very effective on corner kicks if you set him to mark the GK and you have the two DCs attack near and far post respectively. He has scored 5-6 of his 18 goals like that for me so far in 25 games. In general, he tends to go on either scoring sprees or dry spells. He can score 2-3 goals in one game and then not score any for the next 2-3 games.

Archived