Enabling Lower Level Italian Leagues

18Rabbit

Hmm, that mostly works but there's an issue between Serie D and C. There are 9 sub divisions in Serie D but Serie C is only slated to relegate 8 teams. What this causes is a catch 22 in the rules. If I set Serie D to promote 9 teams I get the message "Number of teams promoted from Serie D (9 teams) doesn't match with number of teams relegated from Serie C2 (8 teams)". If I set it to 8 then I get "Number of teams promoted (8) from competition Italian Serie D should be divisible by number of sub-competitions(9)".

I guess in real life the promotion from Serie D is not really a hard and fast thing and is dependent on being able to meet financial requirements and such and sometimes teams that are relegated from Serie C2 actually get recalled (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serie_D):

The first-placed team from each division is promoted to Lega Pro Seconda Divisione each year, and replaces one of the 9 teams from Lega Pro Seconda Divisione that is relegated down to Serie D.

If a newly promoted Serie D team fails to meet the requirements, Seconda Divisione asks the second-placed team in that Serie D team's division to fill the vacancy. Failing that, even the third-placed team may fill the vacancy, and so on.

In most years, one or more teams from the senior leagues from Serie A down to Lega Pro Seconda Divisione fail to meet the regulatory or financial requirements to remain there. These vacancies are usually announced in the summer rest period as the new season is being organized. As teams move up to fill the void created by these failed teams, spaces are created in Lega Pro Seconda Divisione that need to be filled.

For example, in the 2007-08 season there were nine such failures, and thus, nine Lega Pro Seconda Divisione spaces were created. Four of those spaces were filled by calling back teams that had played in Seconda Divisione but were relegated to Serie D for the next season. The other five vacancies were filled by Serie D teams that had participated in the Serie D playoffs.

In reality they basically make a list of the best teams and fill up any open slots as teams shift up the ladder (the 9 divisional winners and then the results from divisional playoffs). I'm fine with ignoring all of that and moving to a hard and fast rule but I don't see how to edit this to make it work around the catch 22 that seems to exist.

That seems to have worked (I haven't actually run it yet). Now I notice that the next lowest league (Italian Eccellenza) is all in the DB but isn't being populated into the list. Any suggestions on how to add that division also?

That seems to have worked (I haven't actually run it yet). Now I notice that the next lowest league (Italian Eccellenza) is all in the DB but isn't being populated into the list. Any suggestions on how to add that division also?

Are you still interested in doing this now that you have downloaded another file?

If so: Go to the divisions section and press add

-Select "Contains Sub-Division"

-Find the Eccellenza

-Then on the next page add the sub-divisions in

-Sort out the pro/rel settings

-DONE!

Are you still interested in doing this now that you have downloaded another file?

If so: Go to the divisions section and press add

-Select "Contains Sub-Division"

-Find the Eccellenza

-Then on the next page add the sub-divisions in

-Sort out the pro/rel settings

-DONE!

Thanks! I'll take a look at what the linked file has and see if I like what they've done or not.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to add stuff to the divisions. Turns out I was running the editor in windowed mode and the ADD buttons were off of the bottom of my screen, dur. I like most of what they've done in that edited file but I want to run it a bit more to make sure.

I've taken the basic DB that was linked too and added a couple of things:

The Coppa Italia Dilettanti ('Italian Amateurs Cup') which is a joint cup for the level 6 and 7 divisions in Italy and the Coppa Italia Serie D (The Serie D Cup).

The previous editor was able to clear up the 8 relegations vs 9 promotions between Serie C and D by changing the relegation number to 9 (though I don't know how exactly). He also added the 36 relegation slots between Serie D and Eccellenza.

A few questions/issues now:

1. I want to add the Scudetto Dilettanti and I'm not quite sure how to implement it. This cup is a playoff between the 9 top finishing Serie D teams (the winner from each Serie D sub-division). The first stage the 9 teams are split into 3 groups where they each play each other once. Then the three winning teams and, here's the part I really can't figure out, the best scoring second place team go to a semi-final and then a final to determine the winning team.
  2. The promotion from Eccellenza to Serie D is currently a straight "Whoever wins gets promoted" in the DB with some of the divisions getting 2 promotions to make a total of 36 but reality is more complicated than that. In reality, these are the teams that get promoted:
    • 28 division winners
    • 7 national playoff winners, these are from a playoff between all of the 2nd place teams in each division.
    • 1 Coppa Italiana Dilettanti winner and yes, this does mean that potentially a team from Italian division 7, Promozione, can skip a division and qualify for Serie D the next year.

So.. I can do the 28 division winners and get promoted, that's easy. I think I can probably figure out the 7 of 28 second place teams getting promoted too but I have no clue about the odd team out, the winner of the Coppa Dilettanti. Is this even possible (via XML edits maybe)? For now I can make it the top 8 of the second place teams I suppose but I'd love to know if this is do-able.

Most of the teams for Promozione are in the DB though their leagues are not so the cups seem to be working fine for now. I don't think I'm currently ambitious enough to add all of the division 7 sub-divisions for the 400 or so odd teams to make Promozione playable but maybe. (or not, Skyrim comes out soon...)

EDIT: Ok, so I can't figure out how to get the "playoff winners get promoted" working either for Eccellenza . I had it as a main division promotion playoff but you can't specify which teams get to participate like you can if you created a custom cup and FM crashed when I tried to start a new game with it set up like this: Each division has 1 promotion slot for 28 + a super division promotion cup with 28 teams and 8 promotion slots.

You can't set up a promotion system like the one which you are describing using the bog-standard editor.

Also, in order to get the number of relegation places to 9, the maker of the original database must've edited the .xml file directly.

Is it possible with the advanced editor? I figured they did some XML magic under the hood to change the relegation places for a SI defined league.

I'm still monkeying with the Scudetto Dilettanti tying to get at least some form of the competition in place. It should be a cup that takes place at the end of the season with the top teams from each Serie D subdivision doing a 2 match group stage and then semi-final and final but I can't get the dates to work out. The comp runs if I just set it up as a "Group Stage then Knockout Rounds" comp but it starts at the beginning of the year instead of at the end. if I let it run at the end it usually runs past the end of the season and then I can't shoehorn it back into the game. Do I have to make the dates fall within the normal season? If so, how do I select the winning teams if that may not yet be decided in each league yet?

I'm still monkeying with the Scudetto Dilettanti tying to get at least some form of the competition in place. It should be a cup that takes place at the end of the season with the top teams from each Serie D subdivision doing a 2 match group stage and then semi-final and final but I can't get the dates to work out. The comp runs if I just set it up as a "Group Stage then Knockout Rounds" comp but it starts at the beginning of the year instead of at the end. if I let it run at the end it usually runs past the end of the season and then I can't shoehorn it back into the game. Do I have to make the dates fall within the normal season? If so, how do I select the winning teams if that may not yet be decided in each league yet?

just a thought but if you set the league to end say at the end of april, and set your cup to run from the beginning of may to the end and change the season end date to the end of may would it solve your issue? i'm not sure whether it would take last years teams or not at that stage due to the season update day being after the comp but it's worth a try. otherwise just do it in reverse so it's a month or 2 before the season kicks off with the season update day being right after the last league game/ playoff game and moving the new season start date forward without changing the leagues.

Archived