Britain and India Challenge

Has anyone else noticed how quickly your scouts seem to complete an assignment to scout India? 3 days to a week at most! icon_eek.gif

We're talking about a country that is practically the size of Europe! icon_biggrin.gif

They have finally recommended me a decent player who I have a chance of signing but I can't do anything due to the transfer embargo. icon_mad.gif

C.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

Has anyone else noticed how quickly your scouts seem to complete an assignment to scout India? 3 days to a week at most! icon_eek.gif

C.

Yes, three to four days, man they travel fast. My transfer embargo lifted two days before the window opened :-)

Originally posted by corinthiano:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gypsum:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by corinthiano:

With 40 000 you must be making a lot of money!! Had an average of 15 000 with Vasco and they made over £500k in two seasons so you ll be a millionaire soon!!

The bank balance started at around £30,000. Now it's a shade under £1,000,000. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif You lucky git icon_razz.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can adjust the budgets to give me a £250,000 transfer kitty. Not that there's anyone decent to spend it on, and the transfer window is a bitch, but it's nice to have!

I'm just going to invest in youth and training facilities while hopefully avoiding relegation this season.

My transfer embargo also lifted a few days before the transfer window. icon14.gif

The new chairman also decided, after thinking about it for two weeks I might add, that he would keep me on as manager. icon_biggrin.gif

It might have been a bad decision! I just lost my first home game of the season 1-0 to Hindustan Aeronautics Sports Club. Hit the bar once and created 10 chances but my forwards are awful.

The opposition scored from a set-piece - you know the type, a typical dodgy deflected free-kick. icon_rolleyes.gif

Seeing as they are my main rivals in the relegation battle, I think I might be screwed.

I have only two decent players - the rest of the playing staff I have signed were absolutely rubbish!

Oh and my attendance was 379 for the game against HASC - my 15,000 stadium was empty!

This is a good challenge. icon14.gificon_biggrin.gif

C.

By the way, the game against HASC was the first time that many of my starting XI had seen each other. The team report says that they are 'some way short of acting well as a unit'. I've not seen that before. I have a feeling that lack of team cohesion could be a deciding factor for me this season.

C.

It might have been a bad decision! I just lost my first home game of the season 1-0 to Hindustan Aeronautics Sports Club. Hit the bar once and created 10 chances but my forwards are awful.

Oh and my attendance was 379 for the game against HASC - my 15,000 stadium was empty!

C.

First home game against Vasco, 509 people in the worlds second largest stadium. Can't get much worse. Oh, so far 3-0-1-2, no goals for, eight against. A scoreless draw in the Vasco game the real highlight so far....

Oh, and Hindustan Aeronautics Sports Club: Best club name ever.

I am still without a win 13 games in to the season, 5 points behind the team just outside the relegation zone. And my next three games are against the three teams above me, in decending order! If i'm going to pick up a win this season, it has to be now. Otherwise it's over!

My average attendance is 44,396! icon_eek.gif 14,000 a week more than the league's second place side. Amazing considering the absolutely awful football we play. The Indian fans must have that gallows humour like us Brits!

I've won! First win of the season!!

Beat Dempo 4-3 in front of 36,378 fans at the Salt lake stadium. Went 1-0 down, a brace from Olushola Ogundare brought it back to lead 3-1, then we let it slip to 3-3 before my player of the season so far, 16 year old Rashed Khan netted a screamer of a volley from the edge of the area!

As it stands I am sitting in 9th please with 7 points, 2 behind JCT and 1 ahead of Oil India. And my next games are against those sides in that order. It's going to be interesting...

Lost 6-1 to my local rivals (they play in the same stadium) and 2nd placed side Mohun Bagan. But still sit 1 point ahead of JCT. Last game of the season I play the side one place above me, and JCT face champions East Bengal! icon_razz.gif

I've also managed to sign a couple of the division's top players, so we had better not get relegated.

Originally posted by corinthiano:

Well done Gypsum icon14.gif

I am sure you would be able to buy the best players in the league if you wanted to now...

I've already signed one of last seasons best strikers Okolie, and defender Manju. Only the very best players tuned me down. When I get my next transfer budget i'll be trying to sign them again. I've also got the board to agree to improve youth and training facilities which, considering the impact a couple of youth players have had for me this season, could be very important.

Originally posted by Gypsum:

Managed to stay up despite losing the final game 4-2! Now for the spending to start. icon_biggrin.gif

Congratulations! icon14.gif

I am still struggling away with New Delhi Heroes but just managed my first win of the season, which was 1-0 away to Hindu Aeronautics (the side that had beaten me 1-0 at home)!

I have never celebrated a win so much! icon_cool.gif

We needed it badly as it was starting to look like it was all over.

I have also had a couple of decent draws so things look like they are on the up after an awful start in which I lost 6 games in a row.

Still miles from safety though. That transfer embargo at the start of the season really ruined my preparation.

I'm really enjoying this challenge!

C.

Originally posted by Sidnv:

Transfer embargo with new delhi heroes?

I haven't got it. When did the takeover happen for you?

Would it affect trasfers already agreed?

It was entirely random as far as I know, i.e. I don't think it is built into the game and therefore always happens.

The club was taken over by a consortium who took about 2 months to actually take over the club and then waited for another month before confirming me as manager and lifting the transfer embargo.

It had an effect on all transfers, regardless of whether they had been agreed or not.

It was a pain in the ****! icon_mad.gif

C.

Well, I finished my first season and it was a complete failure - I told you guys I was rubbish at this game! icon_redface.gif

The real issue for me was the transfer embargo at the start of the season, which ruined my preparation. In addition to this, I started out with about 6 first team players and 9 youth players (5 of which were goalkeepers, helpful ‘eh?)

I found very little talent to bring to the club. With no transfer budget, finding players was tough. To be honest, I did some panic buying at the last minute due to the transfer embargo and the fact that I didn’t know if I would still be in a job because the new owners were talking about bringing in their own man.

I signed up players based on their determination, work rate and team work. Also, I moved to sign up any Indian youth players, or Indian players with international caps, with no club. As a result, I ended up with a bunch of youngsters with no physical abilities and a bunch of oldies with no physical abilities either!

My scouts were the least helpful ever. Most of the players they found were rated 1 star or 2 stars at the most. They found me two players with 3-4 stars, who looked talented and I snapped them up. I also tried to rush through the signing of two talented youngsters from rival clubs on free transfers. Regrettably, neither of them signed - they pulled out at the last minute.

I started the season poorly with the side not having had time to gel. Six straight defeats was very depressing and I lost two games against my relegation rivals. My team gelling was awful though, with the assistant telling me that the side was ‘some way short of acting well as a unit'! I have never seen this description before. I think it really had a huge effect on results.

Stamina was also a huge problem as the side kept conceding goals late on, i.e. the last 10 minutes. I think I lost at least 7 or 8 points because of this – I always went to close the game and switch to a very defensive set up, but my lads couldn’t keep the opposition out... and that, ladies and gents, is the difference between a side that stays up and a side that goes down.

For a while I thought we had a chance of staying up. A few good wins (scoring 3 goals!) against HASC and JCT and some really improved performances were exciting me. But the strikers were awful at finishing and the defence was always too weak.

I think the turning point of the season was, after a few decent results, a home game against Churchill Brothers. We were two up at half-time but they always looked strong. Once again, my lads just couldn’t hold on and they conceded a silly goal. So we were 2-1 up and the ref indicated SIX minutes of time added on. Of course, they went to all out attack and I put everyone behind the ball. They still scored. icon_mad.gifThat was hard to swallow, especially as a win would have lifted us out of the relegation zone.

So my first attempt at this challenge has resulted in a relegation and a sacking. icon_frown.gif

I would blame this on the takeover and the resultant transfer embargo, the lack of players at the club when I arrived and the lack of team gelling. Indeed, the latter played a huge part, because the team spent the whole season on ‘some way short of acting well as a unit'. Only towards the last 3 or 4 games did they switch to ‘do not yet have a good understanding’, which is also a new one for me – I haven’t seen either of these before.

Although I blame the circumstances at the club for my failure, I also made some absolutely crap signings and it is a wonder that I won any games at all! icon_redface.gif The scouts didn’t find me anything worthwhile and I struggled to sign anyone decent.

Despite my failure, I still enjoyed the season and I will be trying again with a new club. icon14.gif

Unfortunately, after holidaying for a few years, only one job has come up in India and I didn’t get it! So I am afraid that I will be starting the challenge all over again tonight.

C.

I would have loved this challenge to have been up a few months ago because i have a save in India.

I took over East Bengal and after 8 years i had the best facilities you can get, a striker that scored 40 in the league (yes 40!) and were the 25th richest club in the world.

In that time i also took over the India national team, who have struggled because there arent many good regens that come through, however, some have been premiership quality. Being dominant in everything and winning the Asian Champions League 5 years running (mainly due to not having to play in the group stages after winning the previous year) i thought that moving on to another team was the only option i could take.

I chose to apply to newly promoted SC Goa who had been relegated in my first season and never been back, from there i have played one season and finished 6th, the aim of course is to get them the best facilities, then move on again and again so that every team in india is amazing.

If you have any queations about the future of the teams you have taken over i would be happy to assist.

And i was just wondering if i would be able to post my progress (if i get the time) in this thread?

POTENTIAL RULE CHANGE

Gentlemen,

Having thought about the challenge and, in particular, the level 3 and 4 part of it, I have been thinking of making a slight alteration to the rules regarding the current setup of the game for this challenge. I would like your opinion about my idea.

The idea is to allow the use of all of the professional leagues in the British half of the challenge, e.g. in England, the EPL, Championship, League One and League Two.

The reasons for this are the following:

1) This would allow an easier transition to English football for those beginning level 3. You could choose to continue building up your reputation in India, both at club and international level. Alternatively, you could decide to move to England/Scotland outside the top league and attempt to build up your reputation that way.

2) This would also allow the manager to better utilise feeder clubs and loan players to lower division clubs. I think this would be particularly useful when attempting to build an all British / Indian team. Having the lower leagues would enable you to send youth players down a few divisions for experience and perhaps you might be able to better improve the players this way.

This would not be mandatory but given as an option to those who felt that they would like to run the additional leagues in their chosen British league structure.

I would accept any selection of British professional leagues. For example, the user could just select EPL and Championship, or even just EPL.

For those who have already started the game with EPL only, for instance, there would be no need to restart the challenge.

I didn’t intend to make any rule changes at all but if nobody has any huge objections, I would suggest that this might maximise the potential of the challenge.

There would be no other changes to the set up.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I am happy to discuss it and if any of those individuals who have already started the challenge are deeply unhappy, then I will not implement the change.

Cheers guys,

C.

Originally posted by Flashman's School Days:

And i was just wondering if i would be able to post my progress (if i get the time) in this thread?

Yes, I am sure we would be interested in a brief description of your past progress. It would be especially interesting to find out the potential for success in India.

However, I would rather hear of your progress in this challenge icon_wink.gif - why not try starting at the bottom of the Indian league with a newly promoted team, as this challenge suggests? With your knowledge of the Indian game, you might be able to do very well in the challenge. icon14.gif

C.

POTENTIAL RULE CHANGE

Gentlemen,

Having thought about the challenge and, in particular, the level 3 and 4 part of it, I have been thinking of making a slight alteration to the rules regarding the current setup of the game for this challenge. I would like your opinion about my idea.

The idea is to allow the use of all of the professional leagues in the British half of the challenge, e.g. in England, the EPL, Championship, League One and League Two.

1) This would allow an easier transition to English football for those beginning level 3. You could choose to continue building up your reputation in India, both at club and international level. Alternatively, you could decide to move to England/Scotland outside the top league and attempt to build up your reputation that way.

2) This would also allow the manager to better utilise feeder clubs and loan players to lower division clubs. I think this would be particularly useful when attempting to build an all British / Indian team. Having the lower leagues would enable you to send youth players down a few divisions for experience and perhaps you might be able to better improve the players this way.

This would not be mandatory but given as an option to those who felt that they would like to run the additional leagues in their chosen British league structure.

I would accept any selection of British professional leagues. For example, the user could just select EPL and Championship, or even just EPL.

For those who have already started the game with EPL only, for instance, there would be no need to restart the challenge.

I didn’t intend to make any rule changes at all but if nobody has any huge objections, I would suggest that this might maximise the potential of the challenge.

Let me know your thoughts on this. I am happy to discuss it and if any of those individuals who have already started the challenge are deeply unhappy, then I will not implement the change.

Cheers guys,

C.

I think it's a pretty good idea. Making the challenge broader to see how well you can do in England with British only players and your Indian imports. Of course, i've already started so it's Premiership or bust for me! But having more English divisions gives a better chance for others.

Originally posted by Flashman's School Days:

I took over East Bengal and after 8 years i had the best facilities you can get, a striker that scored 40 in the league (yes 40!) and were the 25th richest club in the world.

I can well believe that. The potential attendances in India are staggering.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by crouchaldinho:

POTENTIAL RULE CHANGE

Gentlemen,

Cheers guys,

C.

I think it's a pretty good idea. Making the challenge broader to see how well you can do in England with British only players and your Indian imports. Of course, i've already started so it's Premiership or bust for me! But having more English divisions gives a better chance for others. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will wait to see what the opinions of the other challengers are.

What do you think Sidnv, Poolman321, Corinthiano, dan_simmonds, taifun ? Your opinions would be appreciated seeing as you have already started the challenge.

If you are all ok with it then I will make a request that the mods change the opening post to reflect this setup change.

C.

Just started my second season with Mohammedan SC and things are looking good. Played 2, lost the first 2-1 and then won 3-0 thanks to a star performance from new signing Odafe Onyeka Okolie. Other new signing, centre-back Manju, has looked in good form so far.

As the transfer windw opened I has £300k to spend! Unfortunately, despite being able to negotiate prices for the league's best players, I have been unable to attract them to my relegation tipped side.

And a financial update for anyone interested, my bank balance stands at £1,757,272. A temporary cease in financial growth due to the lack of gate reciepts in the off-season. The board also forked out to improve both training and youth facilities. Hopefully a good run of form will help increase my attendances, which last season averaged 42,622.

Hopefully a good run of form will help increase my attendances, which last season averaged 42,622.

I'm starting to think I picked the wrong team to start with!

My attendances with New Delhi Heroes were averaging 350. My stadium was 15000.

Plus, I think I sold 48 season tickets!

I couldn't attract anyone decent to the club as well. Money was disappearing before my eyes.

C.

On the other hand, part 1 of the challenge must be completed before going to part 3.

Otherwise it becomes and ordinary dull challenge of taking a club in Britain to the top flight and winning trophies there.

The indian part of the challenge is the real tough one. So we should only be allowed to go to england after winning a league title and AFc champions league with the indian club.

Originally posted by Sidnv:

On the other hand, part 1 of the challenge must be completed before going to part 3.

The indian part of the challenge is the real tough one. So we should only be allowed to go to england after winning a league title and AFc champions league with the indian club.

Yes Sidnv - that will definitely NOT change. Every player must win 2 consecutive IFL titles and an AFC Cup before going to Britain. This means sustained success on the subcontinent prior to moving.

C.

I had a quick look at reputations for the second division Indian sides. They are posted below for your interest:

Amity Utd 500

HASC 1000

Indian Bank 1000

Mohammedan 1500

Mumbai FC 1000

New Delhi Heroes 500

Oil India 500

ONGC 500

Pune FC 1250

SBT 1150

United SC 1000

Vasco (IND) 2000

It makes me feel a tiny bit better about my abject failure with New Delhi Heroes to know that they were one of the harder teams to start with. Only a tiny bit though! icon_redface.gif

Here are the Indian National Football League (or I-League as it is now called in real life) teams, just for your interest:

Air India 1150

Churchill Bros 1500

Dempo 2450

East Bengal 2650

JCT 1800

Mahindra Utd 2500

Mohun Bagan 2400

Salgoacar 2000

SC Goa 1500

Viva Kerala 1350

So it's a huge step-up if you take over at a 500 reputation team. I found it really tough to bring in decent players. A good challenge! icon14.gif

C.

Just lost 2-1 to local rivals Mohun Bagan in front of 60,082 fans. Most interestingly, my centre-back Manju scored the consolation goal FROM THE EDGE OF HIS OWN AREA! And the keeper was in his goal!

That's nothing!

I meant to post this earlier - my goalkeeper scored from his own area in a friendly match for New Delhi Heroes!

He kicked the ball long and I thought, 'yes great, it's going towards my striker - come on!'

However, my striker completely missed the ball and then the opposition keeper came slightly off his line to collect the ball but it looked like it bounced... and then it went over his head. A comedy moment and an absolutely bizarre goal! icon_eek.gif

I went on to lose 2-1 but it was only a friendly and what a goal from my keeper! icon_biggrin.gif

C.

I'm all for the rule change. Actually I missed that rule all together so my game has England down to league 1 already :-)

First season closing up as we speak, and relegation seems unlikely. Managed to pick up two african midfielders (from Indian sides) just before the close of the transfer window and they've been vital (along with the crappiness of Kerala and Churchill)

More details later

Don't you just love the quality of goalkeeping in India! icon_biggrin.gif

Not when my defender passes back to my keeper and he just watches it trickle past him into the empty net. icon_mad.gif

Seriously, the defending and goalkeeping is pretty awful.

I reckon I just need to build a tactic around a decent target man to have success in the Indian league. Most of the defences are awful in the air and have low bravery. A strong, brave, aggressive target man with good jumping would clear up and score loads!

I wonder if I could tempt Crouchy to India? icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

C.

Originally posted by taifun:

I'm all for the rule change. Actually I missed that rule all together so my game has England down to league 1 already :-)

Well, in that case, it seems we should make the rule change official.

I will PM a mod and see if they can add to the opening post to make this clear.

C.

Chirag United Sports Club NFL 2008/09 Summary

A successfull season indeed. A slow start followed by a decent period just before and just after the christmas break earned us a fantastic sixth place finish in our debut season. Oh, and a 6-1 thrashing of JCT in the final meaningless game was just icing on the cake.

Full facts:

6th United SC 18-6-3-9 34-46 -12 21

East Bengal ran away with the league, Churchill Bros and Viva Kerala went down in flames.

Fun facts:

- Average attendance was 5125, but only thanks to the local derbies with East Bengal and Mohun Bagan pulling 25k and 17k respectively. The other games never eclipsed 4-500 people.

- A small profit was made, but still only 70K in the bank.

- A takeover was on and off for the entire season, and is still not done. Thankfully the numerous embargos missed the transfer window.

- Mahindra Utd won the Federation cup, Mohun Bagan won the Durand.

- Andrews Pomeiye of Mahindra won the golden boot scoring 19 goals in 18 games, picking up the player of the year award as well.

Originally posted by taifun:

Chirag United Sports Club NFL 2008/09 Summary

A successfull season indeed. A slow start followed by a decent period just before and just after the christmas break earned us a fantastic sixth place finish in our debut season. Oh, and a 6-1 thrashing of JCT in the final meaningless game was just icing on the cake.

Full facts:

6th United SC 18-6-3-9 34-46 -12 21

East Bengal ran away with the league, Churchill Bros and Viva Kerala went down in flames.

Fun facts:

- Average attendance was 5125, but only thanks to the local derbies with East Bengal and Mohun Bagan pulling 25k and 17k respectively. The other games never eclipsed 4-500 people.

- A small profit was made, but still only 70K in the bank.

- A takeover was on and off for the entire season, and is still not done. Thankfully the numerous embargos missed the transfer window.

- Mahindra Utd won the Federation cup, Mohun Bagan won the Durand.

- Andrews Pomeiye of Mahindra won the golden boot scoring 19 goals in 18 games, picking up the player of the year award as well.

Nice update Taifun icon14.gif

Very impressed with your successful first season. Push on for a top half finish now!

C.

I've been a bit lazy. Havent done much. Got thumped 2-0 in my first friendly.

I'm trying to get as many good quality players in.

But yeah i am struggling to find decent talent.

I had actually hoped Mohd Sporting would get promoted because they actually are a pretty good club.

I just played my second friendly.

Found a set of tactics that work to some extent.

Play 3 CB's with 1 as sweeper. Rampaging full backs. AML and AMR joining Striker. 2 cm's. 1 goes up to AMC position. 1 down to DM.

Got a 1-1 draw away at FC Kochi. Played pretty well

Direct football is a must i feel.

Also I've decided to buy players in bulk and worry about quality later.

Many players i have bought are twice the players of my existing ones.

Congrats Taifun. Great Season.

My season started abysmally with a 3-0 thrashing at the hands of Viva Kerala in the Fed Cup.

But none of my transfers have been done yet so there is hope. By adjusting budget i have quite a bit of cash.

But relegation is likely and for me a great season would be just to survive.

Another worrying thing is the attendance.

17 season tickets sold in a stadium of 15k.

Avg attendacne 100.

In all honesty though it is true to life.

I am slightly ashamed at this but i wouldn't go for a match of New Delhi Heroes even if someone paid me to.

Sidnv - It sounds like you are doing a bit better than I was when I took over New Delhi Heroes.

I'd be interested to know how your players gel as mine never did!

My attendance peaked at around 400. I can't remember the average attendance now but I definitely sold less than 40 season tickets.

Good luck and I hope you get on better than I did when managing them! icon_smile.gif

C.

I am also alright with the new rule, however I will not restart my challlenge as I am biulding quite a good side at Vasco. Looks like I went for the easiest team... icon_rolleyes.gif oh well I m not very good at this game anyway so it wont make a difference icon_wink.gif

Well done to everyone and good luck! icon14.gif

Archived