That's Willian with an 'N' Damnit!!

DandyDon

Willian Borges da Silva

Willian.jpg

Willian started his career with Corinthians in Brazil where he apparently wore the coveted number 10 shirt. (Well according to Wikipedia he did anyways....). Appearing in the first team in 2006 he was quickly noticed over in Europe and in 2007 he made the move to Shakhtar Donetsk for a fee around $19 million.

He has mostly played as a winger for the Ukrainian side, scoring over 20 goals, making his mark with a fluent playing style and noted as a good passer. His 2 goals against Roma in the 20/11 Champions League knockout stage helped Shakhtar reach their Quarter Final of that competition.

WillianversusArsenal.jpg

I'm pretty sure no-one had started an FM11 thread for him and I figured I would share my so far brief experience with Willian. He's starting to seriously impress me.

Willian hadn't really been on my radar on FM before now, but halfway through my second season on my current Newcastle save, I was casting around for possible targets to sign in the summer to add some depth to the squad. I noticed this lad had less than 6 months left to run on his contract with Shakhtar and thought I might as well offer him a deal. He accepted with minimal fuss and arrived in the summer of 2012.

I had really only brought him in to be back up, his natural position is AMC but he looked like he had decent attributes to cover as a winger. However due to injuries to Niakhaicyk, Ben Arfa and Hulk he's gotten a little run of games right at the start of the new season.

So far he has made 7 appearances at the AMR position and has scored 4 goals and made 5 assists, his average rating in the league is 7.54, in Europe it's 7.83. He is well on the way to claiming the position as his own.

Here he is in October 2012:

WillianProfile_Attributes.png

Although his favoured position is AMC, I think his attributes are best suited to being a winger. As you can see he's very quick, an excellent dribbler, creative and a pretty decent crosser.

For them that's interested:

His starting CA is 151, with PA 170.

Exciting, Young Talent :) Would love to see him in the Premier League someday but, I highly doubt that will happen :thdn:

Nice Thread by the way, DandyDon :D

Cheers, have to admit I was a little surprised there wasn't already a thread on him.

He was linked quite a lot with you lot at Arsenal earlier this year wan't he? Any developments there, or a dead duck now you've got Gervinho?

One of the exciting Brazilian attacking midfielders at Shakhtar, another being Jadson (20 technique on FM10 :cool:, not sure how he is in FM11).

Looks like he could be a brilliant wide playmaker, with a few improvements on his mental stats and an increase in passing.

Cheers, have to admit I was a little surprised there wasn't already a thread on him.

He was linked quite a lot with you lot at Arsenal earlier this year wan't he? Any developments there, or a dead duck now you've got Gervinho?

I know. I was quite excited about it but, I now presume that the move is dead in the water now that Gervinho has joined us. Two very similar players :thup: Maybe if nasri leaves for Mancini City, Wenger might move for him :D

Anyway, I've had no experience with him on FM. I wouldn't mind signing him though maybe if I start a Malaga save or something :)

Yeah i hadn't had any experience with him until now, very glad I decided to offer him that contract on a whim really.

He's just picked up another goal and assist in a 2-1 win over Blackburn. He'll be undroppable if he keeps this up

• 2 weeks later...

Got him at Rangers on the free in 2012/13 season. Talk about step overs, he just strolls through defences...maybe because they're not that great in the SPL.

I play him in the AML role as an inside forward of a 4-3-3 formation. Last season he was a little bit up and down, but his ups he won games by himself. 46 games 20 goals and 14 assists, so far this season 10 games 6 goals 2 assists. (Stats for all comps/ 46 games season included Semi's of Champs league so couldn't play to his best in some of those games eg. vs Barca/Chelsea)

Yeah I signed him when I was at Liverpool expecting him to play on the bench and he was great, definately more suited to being a winger I feel although he does a good job at AM

I sold him on however in the end, was going through a rebuilding stage and got a great offer from Real Madrid for him

Archived