Not clearing the ball effectively

Hi

Come across a new problem which has attributed to around a 3rd of my conceded goals, and that is not clearing away lose balls in my 6 yard box, a shot will come in and the keeper will parry it and it'll just get bounced around until its knocked in by an opposition player, starting to get a bit of a joke now...

Playing with Liverpool

default on pretty much everything but marking is zonal. fluid and philosophy changes depending on opponent.

May depend on the roles of your defenders.

I tend to use a Central Defender "Cover" and Limited Defender "Stopper" combination.

The "Cover" defender is more inclined to pass the ball out of trouble, or look to find another man with the ball, whereas the "Stopper" will simply clear the ball upfield or out into touch, be that for a corner or a throw.

I have this happen a lot as well. My defender will either try to make a first touch and get the ball stolen from them or they will shoot the ball straight into an opponent and frequently score an own goal. It may be related to composure and the defenders just can't handle the pressure when so close to goal and make a bad decision. Or it is the match engine which causes players to shoot against other players too much or doesn't handle collisions very well.

I do like giving my defenders creative freedom but if this makes them shoot the ball against opponents and score own goals or try and run with the ball in the 6 yard box that is a bit of a bummer. I really don't wan't to limit their creative freedom as they perform so well when building from the back and recycling possession.

I zero out any creative freedom and have the passing on direct for the two CB's, I don't get the problems that you outlined so maybe give this a go. Good luch...

Oddly enough I do the exact opposite but still desirable results. My defenders have decent enough decisions to be given some creative freedom but I prefer it if they play simple balls to my deepest midfielder or fullbacks. It works well :)

If you don' know how to find a good adjustment to creativity freedom, it's a good sense to calculate an average between creativity player attribute with the freedom creativity that was put by the

tactical wizzard.... you will not be wrong 90% of time with this method.

Example If player get 7 in creativity and CF of your tactic ask for 9, put to 8. And check every 15mns, if there is some assistant advice about this player. If he tell you that player miss easy pass, you need to decrease from 1 or 2.

Oddly enough I do the exact opposite but still desirable results. My defenders have decent enough decisions to be given some creative freedom but I prefer it if they play simple balls to my deepest midfielder or fullbacks. It works well :)

Well, I got a new season just a few months away, I will give your way a go. My plan was to have two knuckle heads that just launch the ball out of danger and I have always done this but maybe a bit of finesse could help, I have a slow, short passing game that maybe would benefit from your approach.

Always a new idea in this section of the forum, thats why I love it...

Well, I got a new season just a few months away, I will give your way a go. My plan was to have two knuckle heads that just launch the ball out of danger and I have always done this but maybe a bit of finesse could help, I have a slow, short passing game that maybe would benefit from your approach.

Always a new idea in this section of the forum, thats why I love it...

Just as a warning, you HAVE to have centre backs who are good on the ball and are composed, I got lucky with the centre backs I got as both are good at getting out of trouble so I used their good decision making and composure along with first touch and passing in this way. If you are still playing Carragher (he's probably past it at that your point) telling him to play his way out of trouble is a bad idea. With players like Carragher you have to restrict them due to their lack of technical ability

Just as a warning, you HAVE to have centre backs who are good on the ball and are composed, I got lucky with the centre backs I got as both are good at getting out of trouble so I used their good decision making and composure along with first touch and passing in this way. If you are still playing Carragher (he's probably past it at that your point) telling him to play his way out of trouble is a bad idea. With players like Carragher you have to restrict them due to their lack of technical ability

I checked them out after posting above and some of them need help crossing the road but are good defenders. Maybe if it ain't broke and all that...

Archived