How to set up two defensive midfilders?

Well the easiest method is to set one as Def Mid/Defend duty and the other as Def Mid/Support duty. Personally I think the TC settings are fine for most players and teams but you could always tinker based on what you feel is best to get the best out of your players.

If you happen to have a Def Mid who's technically proficient you can set him as a DLP either as support if he's not great defensively (think Alonso, Pirlo ..) or give him Defend duty if he's strong defensively as well.

With Juve I'd personally put Melo as Def mid/defend and put Marchisio as the Def Mid/support. Personally I don't think Juve have any Def Mids who can play as DLP but you could experiment. Alternatively you could play one of the Def mids as a Anchor man (probably Melo). Basically what you want to try to do as with most systems is create balance (destroyer and distributor deep in the case of the 4-2-3-1 with a creator further up field). My advise is to try a few options, watch games and see what YOU like best.

Hope this helps.

Melo would be a good DLP defend. His PPMs make him act like a ball winner, whilst the role means he can utilise his good creativity and flair for a DM to make passes from deep. Just think back to the World Cup and some of the passes he made from deep then for Brazil.

When i was Liverpool, for my first season i used Lucas and Mascherano both as Defensive Midfielders (Support) in a 4-2-3-1 Deep/Wide. I also had my main Playmaker as the AMC in Gerrard. In the second season i've been dabbling with using Gago as a Deep Lying Playmaker (Defend) alongside Lucas as a Defensive Midfielder (Support) and it's been working well, but i set them like this with my whole team in mind so it might be different for you.

Melo as a Deep Lying Playmaker and Sissoko as a Defensive Midfielder should work well though.

interesting, i've been running with 2 dcm's aslo but have been using one as an anchor man, i think i'll try the other as dlp tonight. i have qpr at the moment, and have been using mohan as the anchor man. (i need to replace him at seasons end)

Melo for me would be a borderline case for DLP/Defend if his concentration and more importantly his Decision attribute weren't so bad (7 in decision ! ). For me, that's not a guy you want dictating play. In real life Melo gets into trouble when he tries to do too much, that poor decision attribute reflects that. In game the DLP/Defend is generally a pretty conservative passer but he does touch the ball a heck of a lot.

Better examples of a DLP/Defend in my opinion are guys like Thiago Motta of Inter or Mikel of Chelsea.

Melo would be a good DLP defend. His PPMs make him act like a ball winner, whilst the role means he can utilise his good creativity and flair for a DM to make passes from deep. Just think back to the World Cup and some of the passes he made from deep then for Brazil.

I'd set Melo up as a DLP/Support, however, i'd limit his forward runs & throughballs to rarely, his tackling to easy, and lower his passing and creative freedom. He's a great footballer, but his footballing brain lets him down, these stats should negate his weeknesses and make him a solid, metronome midfielder.

If Marchiso is as good as he was on FM10 (I don't have FM11), I'd set him with the default deep-lying playmaker support settings.

(Make sure your AM is set as the playmaker though, though personally, i'd remove all players from the playmaker option.)

Archived