Great Working 4-4-2

My thoughts on this tactic after using it:

I have had some very varying results. At first, I got some really bad results. Then, I had a good period with 5 wins in a row and now, I am getting a lot of draws, often with a lot of goals. I think the defense is very vulnerable to fast strikers. I have brought in some older strong defenders: Per Krøldrup, Christopher Schindler and Elin Topuzakov. They are now some of the best defenders in the Danish league, but I still concede a lot of goals - especially from through passes through the middle. I have only had one clean sheet in 7 matches - and that was against the promoted team.

The attack creates quite some goals. Should be enough for wins, if it wasn't for the defense.

I am considering trying a new tactic, but I have decided to give this a final chance to prove it can create consistent results for the next half season. My players are skilled enough for a top 3 position in the league, but I am currently placed 5th, just outside the continental qualifications.

One thing that is important in the defensive side of this tactic is the DC's, Cover NEEDS to have good acceleration and anticipation for the league the tactic is used in and the stopper NEEDS to be a good tackler with good positioning. also bravery would be an advantage.

Have you set up the match prep? the sooner they get accomplished/fluid with the tactic the better it works.

As to the throught ball issue, i havent encountered this myself, where are the through balls coming from? Out wide or centrally? check your players defensive stats for the area your having trouble.

The more info you give me the more i can help :)

EDIT: what is the acceleration/anticipation of the defender you are using as cover?

I just lost 1-2 in an important game I totally dominated. The winning goal was a through pass from the center of the midfield.

It is often in the right side of the central defense (at the stopper), the passes get through.

I will now start looking at ways to avoid the issue. I have lost so many points on the through passes.

My cover (Christopher Schindler) has the following stats:

Tackling: 14

Marking: 13

Acceleration: 13

Anticipation: 13

I just lost 1-2 in an important game I totally dominated. The winning goal was a through pass from the center of the midfield.

It is often in the right side of the central defense (at the stopper), the passes get through.

I will now start looking at ways to avoid the issue. I have lost so many points on the through passes.

My cover (Christopher Schindler) has the following stats:

Tackling: 14

Marking: 13

Acceleration: 13

Anticipation: 13

What are the average stats for pacey strikers in your league? Acceleration,off the ball?

Also with you saying it is coming from the centre maybe you Ball Winning Midfielder is the week link. What are his stats for tackling, positioning and marking?

Also which starting strategy is it you are using when this occurs?

EDIT: Also what is composure/decision stat for the CB's?

What are the average stats for pacey strikers in your league? Acceleration,off the ball?

Also with you saying it is coming from the centre maybe you Ball Winning Midfielder is the week link. What are his stats for tackling, positioning and marking?

Also which starting strategy is it you are using when this occurs?

I mainly use the counter and the control tactics. Never the attack, except if I really need a goal - but I haven't had much success with the attack tactic.

Some players, who have scored against me on through passes from the middle:

Daniel Larsson (17 acc, 17 pace, 14 off the ball)

Bajram Fetai (14 acc, 11 off the ball)

Ahmed Soukouna (15 acc, 16 pace, 13 off the ball)

My ball winning midfielder should be good enough (Thomas Augustinussen):

Augustats.png

I mainly use the counter and the control tactics. Never the attack, except if I really need a goal - but I haven't had much success with the attack tactic.

Some players, who have scored against me on through passes from the middle:

Daniel Larsson (17 acc, 17 pace, 14 off the ball)

Bajram Fetai (14 acc, 11 off the ball)

Ahmed Soukouna (15 acc, 16 pace, 13 off the ball)

My ball winning midfielder should be good enough (Thomas Augustinussen):

Augustats.png

Yes the Ball Winning Midfielder looks good enough, but looking at the speed of the opposition strikers compared to your defender i think that is your problem. you need someone with more acceleration. In a head to head your covering defender is always goin to be beaten for speed. I think someone with acceleration of at least 16 would suit the covering role in your division as it is one of the most important roles in the tactic.

Yes the Ball Winning Midfielder looks good enough, but looking at the speed of the opposition strikers compared to your defender i think that is your problem. you need someone with more acceleration. In a head to head your covering defender is always goin to be beaten for speed. I think someone with acceleration of at least 16 would suit the covering role in your division as it is one of the most important roles in the tactic.

It is impossible for me to get a decent defender with 16 in acceleration. Just did a search. It's way out of my league. :(

It is impossible for me to get a decent defender with 16 in acceleration. Just did a search. It's way out of my league. :(

Hmm that could be a problem. what about 14/15 with anticipation of at least 16?

EDIT: If you cant get speed then anticipation needs to be high. Even though they aren't as fast they can read the situation well and any through balls should be dealt with better.

Hmm that could be a problem. what about 14/15 with anticipation of at least 16?

EDIT: If you cant get speed then anticipation needs to be high. Even though they aren't as fast they can read the situation well and any through balls should be dealt with better.

Also impossible to get for my budget. :(

The ones I've got now are pretty much the best I can get.

Then lower your defensive line, that way your CBs won't leave so much space behind, especially when your opponent has fast strikers. The control strategy is also well capapble of producing goals.

Yeah, I just tried that for some matches, and it worked, I didn't concede any goals on the through passes, although I met players that have pretty high acceleration. However I lost a lot of matches on other situations, so I'm gonna try a new tactic now. I can't afford to continue trying this tactic - I would get fired if it continued.

Yeah, I just tried that for some matches, and it worked, I didn't concede any goals on the through passes, although I met players that have pretty high acceleration. However I lost a lot of matches on other situations, so I'm gonna try a new tactic now. I can't afford to continue trying this tactic - I would get fired if it continued.

TBH i think you might struggle with other tactics if the players available to you are below the standard needed to achieve what you want to achieve.

TBH i think you might struggle with other tactics if the players available to you are below the standard needed to achieve what you want to achieve.

You might be right - but I really have to try something else. I am successful (lucky? :p) with the other 4-4-2 at this forum by matt right now. 2 wins in a row. But I might return to your tactics when I get the money for some defenders matching it's demands.

You might be right - but I really have to try something else. I am successful (lucky? :p) with the other 4-4-2 at this forum by matt right now. 2 wins in a row. But I might return to your tactics when I get the money for some defenders matching it's demands.

thumbsUp.jpg

Been using mmy own variant of your tactic for the arsenal, every manager I have beaten has commented on my team playing football the way it should be played! Well done mate, great stuff

Thank you i'm glad you read it and understood well enough to create your own variation which is what i originally wanted people to do. Regarding the opposition manager comments i have had that quite alot aswell which made me believe i must be doing something right lol.

thanks for the reply.

Finished my first season with Belenenses.

This tactic worked great for me. I was predicted to finish 1st but still, winning the league with 6 matches left is great. I had an 18-match winning streak.

Some notes:

- The DC Stopper really needs to be good. The one I used has 14 for Aggression, Bravery and Strength and I could really tell the difference when I used another with lower attributes.

- The FBs don't need to be very offensive because their role in the attack is to help the winger, who crosses more often. Just having good speed and positioning is acceptable.

- The MC defend has to be a good tackler, because he's the one who stops plays in the middle of the pitch.

- The MC support should have good passing; he'll have many assists. Also I sometimes used a MC who had the PPM "gets into opposition area", which had him score a few goals, so this PPM and "tries killer balls often" are recommended.

I tweaked the tactic a little. I set the Trequartista to press, because had good stamina, so he could help a bit. I also tweaked set pieces, I scored a couple from indirect free kicks but from corners I didn't have much success. I also unchecked the boxes for Target Man and Playmaker, because the team was relying too much on the Trequartista. This way the poacher and wingers get more involved with the plays. I also set players to shoot from distance according to their capacity to do so. Anyone who has 13 or more for long shots has long shots set to "sometimes", the others are set to "rarely".

Screens:

ligaoranginainformation.png

cfosbelenensessadbelene.png

Let's see how this works now in the top division.

Thank you i'm glad you read it and understood well enough to create your own variation which is what i originally wanted people to do. Regarding the opposition manager comments i have had that quite alot aswell which made me believe i must be doing something right lol.

thanks for the reply.

No probs matey, thank you for all of your help.

Am trying to build a 4231 using the same principles as well, will let you know how I get on

Finished my first season with Belenenses.

This tactic worked great for me. I was predicted to finish 1st but still, winning the league with 6 matches left is great. I had an 18-match winning streak.

Some notes:

- The DC Stopper really needs to be good. The one I used has 14 for Aggression, Bravery and Strength and I could really tell the difference when I used another with lower attributes.

- The FBs don't need to be very offensive because their role in the attack is to help the winger, who crosses more often. Just having good speed and positioning is acceptable.

- The MC defend has to be a good tackler, because he's the one who stops plays in the middle of the pitch.

- The MC support should have good passing; he'll have many assists. Also I sometimes used a MC who had the PPM "gets into opposition area", which had him score a few goals, so this PPM and "tries killer balls often" are recommended.

I tweaked the tactic a little. I set the Trequartista to press, because had good stamina, so he could help a bit. I also tweaked set pieces, I scored a couple from indirect free kicks but from corners I didn't have much success. I also unchecked the boxes for Target Man and Playmaker, because the team was relying too much on the Trequartista. This way the poacher and wingers get more involved with the plays. I also set players to shoot from distance according to their capacity to do so. Anyone who has 13 or more for long shots has long shots set to "sometimes", the others are set to "rarely".

Screens:

ligaoranginainformation.png

cfosbelenensessadbelene.png

Let's see how this works now in the top division.

Great stuff you will probably have to get some new players in for the key roles if their is a big difference between the leagues you are moving to and from. It does work well as a tactic for teams that are underdogs too though aslong as you have the right players. Look forward to hearing how it goes for you in the next division :)

No probs matey, thank you for all of your help.

Am trying to build a 4231 using the same principles as well, will let you know how I get on

No problem, its great to have a forum such as this so players can help each other :)

Archived