Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ollers Kenners:

Should win this without too much trouble, think we might win three or four nil. Hopefully RvP will get a roun out and if we win we go 4th as Spurs have a late kickoff.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

HOVI so depressed over Bolton. Am I to think you thought Sunderland would get something today? icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hoping and praying

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ratinho:

Erm, we don't need anyone to get results. If we play like Arsenal, like today, we'll finish 4th tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if bolton keep winning they will get 4th though no matter what we do

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

Erm, we don't need anyone to get results. If we play like Arsenal, like today, we'll finish 4th tbh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if bolton keep winning they will get 4th though no matter what we do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they're gonna win all those games, plus the extra ones they have?

No.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

if bolton keep winning they will get 4th though no matter what we do </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And they're gonna win all those games, plus the extra ones they have?

No. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Meaning other teams would have got results, which is what i think HOVI meant.

7 of boltons last 9 games look really tricky, lets not worry too much about them just yet.

spurs have ok home games left (manutd game excepted), but their away games looks nasty

imo we have to make sure we win our remaining home games and make sure we beat portsmouth and sunderland away and we'll be there.

could possibly see us and blackburn overhauling liverpool

cant see liverpool droping that far behing, blackburn got a decent run it, but their blackburn. Great win today, Adebayor is surely the new Andy Cole, miss 3 chances then scores. Thiery, Eboue, Helb and Cesc great as always Flamster still doing a great job a lb and Pires had his best game for a long time. Dissapointed not to see Walcott on the bench.

Quality stuff today. Alexander Hleb is finally settling into this team and showing what he can do. Yes, some of his game is still to improve, however over the last few weeks, he has picked up his game noticably.

I laughed when Song came on and thought of OTF icon_biggrin.gif

The football we played was fantastic and it could so easily have been a hammering for poor ol' Charlton.

P.S The Phenom again was totally immense.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has distanced himself from reports linking him with a move to Barcelona.

Henry, 28, is in talks with Arsenal over a new deal and said in the match programme on Saturday: "Nothing has changed in the past couple of weeks.

"If the papers want to speculate, they will speculate like they have done all season - but my position remains exactly the same."

Henry's current deal is due to expire in the summer of 2007.

And Henry added: "There have been some more stories about my future in the papers this week.

"The papers write what they want to write and I would just say this - there are no quotes from me in the story, no quotes from Barcelona, no quotes from anyone."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger also played down the speculation suggesting the French striker would leave for Barca.

"I don't believe there is any truth in that because I cannot imagine that Thierry would do that," said Wenger on Friday.

"There is a game going on between the Spanish press and English press.

"The Spanish press brings something out that is not true and the English press answers that - and the same on the other side.

"I cannot stop any noises or transfer rumours. I tried for a while and I could not do it, so there are a few solutions." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Still don't think he is even worth that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would take him for 5m

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wycombe:

results this weekend other than ours have been blackwell bad, no ****er has dropped any points </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep thats what i was kinda trying to say yesterday while being shot down by you guys icon_biggrin.gif

All I was pointing out, was that there was very little chance of them dropping any points. Spurs at the second wors side in the league? Bolton at home vs. the worst? Rovers facing a weak ass Boro away side, that have just played in europe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cesc Fabregas the Phenom:

Still don't think he is even worth that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i would take him for 5m </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4m at absolute tops.

dont think we need barton......just another player to take wenger to 54 red cards in his arsenal era....or whatever it is.....the media sure like to say that icon_rolleyes.gif

still think we made a mistake in selling bentley.......time to go to france and get the defender of the year icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pires777:

dont think we need barton......just another player to take wenger to 54 red cards in his arsenal era....or whatever it is.....the media sure like to say that icon_rolleyes.gif

still think we made a mistake in selling bentley.......time to go to france and get the defender of the year icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

bentley was never going to be first team at arsenal the way we play.

it was best for us and him that he left.

Nah, not because he scored 3 against united.

He was the one british player who was on par technically with most of the foriegn players at the club.

As well as being able to cross a ball, he could see a pass as well, long/on the ground.

I think it all depended on the position where he was played. Personally i feel he could have made a name for himself as a supporting striker.

Just feel if he had a bit more pace he would have made it.

Having said that i wouldnt be suprised to see him in the england squad in the future. Probably another D.B captaining england icon_wink.gif

Anyone know whats going on with vela now? I heard he is on lean thier. In contrast I heard he has signed for them with Arsenal having the option to sign when he is 18. Has he made an appearence to Celta yet? From what I understand they cant play him unitl he get a spanish passport because they already have the maximum amount of frg players. If thats the case, then surely when he gets his SP, he can just come to us? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Asmodeus:

Have we signed Fran Merida or not? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt it, but im sure it will happen soon.

• SI Staff

From what i can gather with Vela he is at Celta Vigo for 2 1/2 years until he gets his Spanish passport and then he'll come to us. He can't play for them this season as they already had too many non EU players registered and so can only play for their reserve and youth teams this season.

• SI Staff

Hleb interview.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hleb is shining bright

A player proving a hit at Highbury

ONE OF THE MANY positives to emerge for Arsenal in recent weeks has been the sparkle and zest shown by Alexander Hleb. His goal in the 3-0 win over Charlton Athletic on Saturday capped another strong performance, after confident displays against Real Madrid and Liverpool.

In all of these matches, the former VfB Stuttgart playmaker has started to show the qualities — the close control, the dashing runs and the eye for a precision pass — for which he was hired by Arsène Wenger last summer. After early performances that resulted in Hleb being voted Arsenal’s player of the month for August, two months out with injury slowed his adaptation to his new surroundings. More recently, there were rumours — vehemently denied by the player — of discontent at not being given a regular start.

He was the undisputed star at Stuttgart and having to prove himself again has been a challenge. But when compared with other foreign recruits at Highbury in recent years, the Belarus midfield player’s acclimatisation period has been impressively short. Now settled into the Arsenal colony that is Hampstead and taking English lessons several times a week, his tangible sense of ease is reflected with his mastery of the English football idiom. “Personally speaking, I feel that I’m coming into form,†he said. “The speed of the English game takes some getting used to.

“It’s taken me time to adapt, to a new country, a new league, especially with the injury. But I’ve felt plenty of good support from the manager, from the other players and those around me.â€

According to the number-crunchers, no player in the Bundesliga created more scoring opportunities than Hleb in his last season at Stuttgart. Pleasingly, too, for Arsenal fans those there are signs of a new Belarussian supply line to Thierry Henry being built.

“He’s terrific to play with,†Hleb said of Henry. “The understanding is getting better, but not just with him, with all my team-mates. When you first arrive at a new club, the hard thing is that you don’t know exactly how each of your colleagues works, the little things they do on the pitch. That’s starting to happen and I’m pleased about it.â€

Asked to explain why Arsenal are capable of success in the Champions League, yet flounder in more prosaic contests against the likes of Bolton Wanderers and Wigan Athletic, Hleb cites bad luck, but also concedes that they need to learn not to be outmuscled. “There have been games in the league when we have not played to our full potential, but I also believe we have been unlucky,†he said. “

Some teams have relied on overly physical tactics to beat Arsenal. But that’s the thing about English football. There are no easy games. Every opponent gives 100 per cent commitment. And if you’re 10 per cent off your own game, you can be made to pay.â€

Some have questioned whether Hleb is sufficiently robust, but against Real and Liverpool at Highbury he answered his critics, with displays not only of skill but a stickability that belies his skinny frame. The midfield player is confident that his performances can only improve.

“I think I’ve a way to go before I reach my best,†Hleb said. “I’ve got a lot to learn.â€

The next European test — the quarter-final tie against Juventus (on March 28 and April 5 — will be even tougher and, of course, it will pit Hleb against the man he expected to be his captain when he signed for Arsenal. “It was almost fated that we’d end up against Patrick Vieira,†he said. “He’s a super player. I’m looking forward to the challenge of facing him now.â€

But after getting the better of Real, Hleb feels that Arsenal need fear nobody in Europe. “I firmly believe we can win it,†he said. “But we can only think about Juventus. They are more disciplined (than Real). It will be close.â€

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

link

he has really improved since the first real madrid.

if he could pass well he would be one of the best players in the world imo. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He has got great vision, and some of his passes are brilliant, but under pressur he does give the ball away..but that isnt a problem at the mo with the way he makes space for him self

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Like I said he was man of the match on Saturday, really good performance, we lost possession a lot more after he went off. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

he carrys the ball really well, its when he has to release it is where there are problems with his game.

Archived