Senegal's Arsenal thread 2005/6 - A redcurranty farewell to the Home of Footballâ„¢

wycombe

Seen him play about a half dozen games over the last two seasons (Sevilla don't feature much on Sky's La Liga coverage), and he has looked to be Sevilla's best player going forward, especially since Reyes left. His movement and positioning are good, and he has a wicked shot, both from set pieces and open play. Seems to read the game quite well, has a nack for the right place right time trick, and is really strong on the ball. Confident in the air and in the tackle, he could help us in our efforts to defend from the front (he played defensive midfield for a number of seasons).

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wicom:

we've upped our bid to £10m apparently </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as the payments are structured to Sevilla's liking, then I'd say that that's a good price. Allows them to buy the players they have publicly stated they want, and they already have a replacement in.

Independent This Morning: icon14.gif

Arsenal have reportedly increased their offer to Seville for their 23 year-old Brazilian striker Julio Baptista, to £10m. “We have to face realityâ€, the club’s president, Jose Maria Del Nido, said last night, “if he is not going to sign a new contract we have to negotiate his sale.†Baptista has scored 38 goals in two seasons.

Also in the Sun so it may be Bullsh*t icon13.gif

ARSENAL have raised their bid for Seville striker Julio Baptista to £10million.

And they are confident the new offer will seal the Brazilian’s move.

so IF we sign Baptista, have we seen the "two world class" signings for this summer? Ive heard rumours Wenger is interested in Issakson(sp?), costing around £4M. IF thats true, thats got to be a steal at that price!

Beast shuns Sevilla deal

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal target Julio Baptista has shunned Sevilla's attempts to tie him down to a new deal.

The Gunners had their opening bid for Baptista rebuffed last week, but now a second bid of close to £10 million is widely expected.

Sevilla are desperate to keep their star forward, nicknamed 'The Beast', but it now looks increasingly likely that he will be quitting The Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

The Spanish club's supremo Jose Maria Del Nido has now confirmed that the Brazilian has snubbed the chance to treble his current salary at Sevilla.

"The player does not want to renew," said Del Nido.

"We have offered him an amount that would triple his deal, but he has not accepted it.''

Del Nido looks to have accepted the fact that Baptista will depart, but he does not appreciate the supposed tactics being employed by the player's agent.

"The player and his surroundings are making declarations, that do not compare to what they were saying over the last year," added Del Nido.

"The situation varies every 24 hours, but after seeing what passes and the pressure being put on Sevilla by different clubs - the effect is normal."

Arsenal are leading the chase for Baptista and the player has signalled his ambition to move to Highbury, but Del Nido warned that other clubs are interested.

"There are other Spanish teams and foreign clubs that also have an interest," he added. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't be bad news for us! Hopefully they'll be a beast at Highbury soon. icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Okey lads, working on 2 players for each position, here's what we're looking like we could be next year:

DR Lauren and Eboue

DL Cole and Clichy

DC Campbell Toure

DC Senderos Cygan </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought Cygan was going back to France this summer ? Sure i heard it mentioned end of last season -/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikey G:

Okey lads, working on 2 players for each position, here's what we're looking like we could be next year:

DR Lauren and Eboue

DL Cole and Clichy

DC Campbell Toure

I thought Cygan was going back to France this summer ? Sure i heard it mentioned end of last season -/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he's staying apparently.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Lets just hope he doesnt get to play much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not that bad... good enough for backup. He's just prone to the odd Andy Linighan moment is all! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Razzler:

DR Lauren and Eboue

DL Cole and Clichy

DC Campbell Toure

I thought Cygan was going back to France this summer ? Sure i heard it mentioned end of last season -/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, he's staying apparently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Retro:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Father Senegal:

Lets just hope he doesnt get to play much. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's not that bad... good enough for backup. He's just prone to the odd Andy Linighan moment is all! icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, and not last minute cup final winning types of moments either.

DR Lauren and Eboue

DL Cole and Clichy

DC Campbell Toure

No, he's staying apparently. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's just like the Gerrard saga -/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mikkel Blue:

if you hear anything re the beast while in spain will you be updating us father? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He can text me, then I'll update you. Sounds like a fair deal. icon14.gif

Little snipet of news regarding Hleb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arsenal's proposed new signing, Alexander Hleb, was fully involved as the Gunners reported back for the first day of pre-season training today.

Belarus international Hleb, who has agreed personal terms on a move to Highbury that could cost the club up to £10million, is still awaiting news on his application for a work permit.

However, the 24-year-old midfielder wasted no time in getting fully involved in Arsenal's early pre-season preparations at the club's London Colney training ground near St Albans.

Most first-team players have been allowed extra time in which to recuperate, including Gilberto Silva, Jens Lehmann, Patrick Vieira, Philippe Senderos and Kolo Toure, who were all involved in internationals after the end of last season.

The entire squad are unlikely to be together until Arsenal depart on July 19 for a pre-season training camp in Austria, where they are due to play three friendlies.

However, Hleb was today working out alongside the likes of Thierry Henry, who has been regaining full fitness with regular work-outs and treatment over the summer, Jose Antonio Reyes, Dennis Bergkamp, Mathieu Flamini, Pascal Cygan and Gael Clichy.

While there has not yet been any official confirmation that Hleb has passed his medical, his participation in today's session indicates there are no significant worries over his fitness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LycanGav:

Little snipet of news regarding Hleb

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Arsenal's proposed new signing, Alexander Hleb, was fully involved as the Gunners reported back for the first day of pre-season training today.

Belarus international Hleb, who has agreed personal terms on a move to Highbury that could cost the club up to £10million, is still awaiting news on his application for a work permit.

However, the 24-year-old midfielder wasted no time in getting fully involved in Arsenal's early pre-season preparations at the club's London Colney training ground near St Albans.

Most first-team players have been allowed extra time in which to recuperate, including Gilberto Silva, Jens Lehmann, Patrick Vieira, Philippe Senderos and Kolo Toure, who were all involved in internationals after the end of last season.

The entire squad are unlikely to be together until Arsenal depart on July 19 for a pre-season training camp in Austria, where they are due to play three friendlies.

However, Hleb was today working out alongside the likes of Thierry Henry, who has been regaining full fitness with regular work-outs and treatment over the summer, Jose Antonio Reyes, Dennis Bergkamp, Mathieu Flamini, Pascal Cygan and Gael Clichy.

While there has not yet been any official confirmation that Hleb has passed his medical, his participation in today's session indicates there are no significant worries over his fitness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How is Hleb going to fit in?

He was a central playmaker for Stuttgart- so does that make him long-term replacement for Dennis or competition for Freddie on the right?

I think he'll be played on the right personally. Haven't seen him play, but we have enough players in the centre... so it figures that he's being bought to cover or play on the right.

Arsenal increae Baptista Offer?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Arsenal Raise Baptista Offer

7/6/2005 8:06:00 PM

Arsenal have increased the pressure on Sevilla to sell Julio Baptista by raising their bid for the Brazilian to €15million.

The Gunners' saw their opening gambit of €12million turned down last week, but have now upped their offer as they hope to prey on the Andalucians' uncertainty about losing the player next summer.

Under new Fifa guidelines, a player over 23 that has been at a club for more than three seasons is free to speak to another club from a different country and if no fee can be agreed then a tribunal will set an amount.

Sevilla are well aware of the rule and are weighing up whether to cash in on Baptista, who is nicknamed 'The Beast' or hold out and hope that a successful season next term will persuade him to stay at the club long-term.

"The worry exists because Julio is important for Sevilla, but there is a bureaucratic matter that could mean he will be free to leave next year," Sevilla president, José María del Nido explained.

"The interests of the club must come first as he is reluctant to sign a contract extension.

"We will have to sign another player to replace him." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am in Australia and am a huge Gunners fan and I have been trying to get an Arsenal ringtone for my phone but none of the aussie websites seem to have any.

Has anyone got a ringtone that they could sms to me - I would be forever greatful. I have a Sony Ericsson T610

I really really hope that we get Baptista as he is fb!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by da_jet:

I am in Australia and am a huge Gunners fan and I have been trying to get an Arsenal ringtone for my phone but none of the aussie websites seem to have any.

Has anyone got a ringtone that they could sms to me - I would be forever greatful. I have a Sony Ericsson T610

I really really hope that we get Baptista as he is fb! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An Arsenal ringtone?? icon_biggrin.gif

• Administrators

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

Arsenal's attempts to sign the Seville striker Julio Baptista have hit a stumbling block. Despite bidding €12m (£8.5m), plus €3m (£2m) dependent on appearances for the 23-year-old Brazilian, it is understood to be highly unlikely that he can secure the work permit he would need to move to Highbury.

In recent weeks the Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger flew to São Paolo to meet Baptista while the vice-chairman David Dein has been in Spain to negotiate the transfer. But Baptista, a powerful striker who has scored 50 goals for Seville, does not have the qualifications necessary for him to move to England.

He has just 11 caps for Brazil but it had been thought that because of their ranking in world football he would qualify for a permit. The player's camp now believe that is not likely.

The situation will change in December, when he qualifies for Spanish, and therefore European Union, citizenship and it may be that Arsenal will be able to move for the player in the January transfer window or next summer. However, they are likely to face stiff competition as both Barcelona and Real Madrid are also tracking the player and he is believed to favour remaining in Spain.

The developments will come as a blow to Arsenal especially as Seville, despite rejecting their initial offer, describing it as "derisory", know that Baptista - a converted midfielder who joined two years ago from São Paolo - is refusing to sign a contract extension. He is currently tied to the club until 2008 but contractual law in Spain states that players can negotiate a move once they have completed three seasons at a club with a fee being set by a tribunal. That means that Seville could lose him in 12 months' time for a considerably lower fee than they could recoup this summer. They have already signed another Brazilian, Luis Fabiano, as his replacement.

It is believed Arsenal themselves may receive an unwanted approach this week. Juventus are considering following up their public declaration of interest in Patrick Vieira with an offer of €20m (£14m). That will, undoubtedly, be immediately and decisively dismissed by Arsenal, even if Juventus are understood to regard it as a fair price for a player who is 28 and who is out-of-contract in two years' time.

Another Arsenal midfielder, David Bentley, has been told to report back for pre-season training following his season-long loan with Norwich City

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Non story because you'd get one on appeal? :/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If I knew how to sms a ringtone I probably could. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On my phone if I go to where the ring tone is and click on it there is an options menu and one of the options is "Send". But then that is on my phone and I guess all phones are different!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BBB:

tbf, there were "direct" quotes from Gatusso when he was linked with us this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But we never went near him afaik.

We're out there agreeing a fee for Baptista.

Man he really is a beat!!

i know it's just a picture but impressive physique, i say! icon_redface.gif

He's a Heskey in terms of mass but an Henry in terms of skills and technique.

No in all seriousness, i can't wait for the guy to sign for us. It's getting more and more exciting and the more i read about him, the more i get impatient to see those headlines we so badly want.

And the man certainly doesn't lack any confidence icon_biggrin.gif

“Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira says there aren’t many players like me, with such strength and technique — and I agree.â€

Quality!! icon14.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">High ranking Juventus officials are understood to have arrived in England to negotiate the transfer of Patrick Vieira.

Reports of Juve's liking of Vieira and team-mate Robert Pires have been widespread in recent weeks and it seems the Old Lady are now pushing ahead with a bid for the Arsenal captain.

And, to the shock of many Arsenal fans, the North London giants appear willing to let Vieira leave.

Juve transfer supremo Luciano Moggi and vice-president Roberto Bettega have now travelled to London to open talks with counterpart David Dein.

The Italian champions are looking to pay no more than £12 million and could be willing to offer players in exchange to smooth over Vieira's passage to Turin.

Stephen Appiah is one name being mentioned, although that is unlikely to have stirred Arsene Wenger into allowing Vieira to leave - although the mention of David Trezeguet could have the opposite effect.

Juve have insisted that Trezeguet is not for sale, but the French star is anything but settled at the Stadio Delle Alpi and the Italians could very well include him - although that is likely to be a last resort.

Sources in Italy also claim that should Trezeguet not be on offer, than Wenger would gladly take French defender Jonathan Zebina - but Juve are not understood to be keen on letting the former Roma man leave.

With Appiah unlikely to arrive, it is claimed that Wenger has already highlighted one of Lyon's much coveted midfielders to replace Vieira.

Mahamadou Diarra - already linked strongly with Real Madrid and Chelsea this summer - is the man Wenger is said to want and the prospect of walking straight into the starting XI could very appeal to the Malian ace.

However, Lyon, as they already have done on numerous occasions and will continue to do so, are likely to resist any new moves for one of their midfield trinity, which also includes Michael Essien and Juninho Pernambucano.

It remains to be seen whether Wenger will allow Vieira to leave without having a ready-made replacement signed or at the very least lined up.

Despite the fact that Juve officials have arrived in England, Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists that he knows nothing of the impending talks on Vieira.

"I've heard nothing about this at all," he said.

"As far as I am aware it is just a rumour and we're talking to Patrick about signing a new contract and he seems very happy to stay."

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And so it begins.... again!

Archived