FM10 - My Last Career A One Club Man

AcidBurn

SunderlandBadge.png

The Past

Sunderland Association Football Club are a professional association football club based in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, England, that compete in the Premier League. Since their formation in 1879, they have won six First Division titles—in 1892, 1893, 1895, 1902, 1913, and 1936 (see Sunderland A.F.C. seasons).

Founded by schoolteacher James Allan, Sunderland moved towards professionalism and they were elected into The Football League in 1890. Sunderland performed well in the league, earning plaudits such as a "wonderfully fine team",[2] and won their first FA Cup in 1937 with a 3–1 victory over Preston North End. However, their achievements petered out, and they were relegated in 1958. They had remained in the top league for 68 successive seasons, a record surpassed only by Arsenal. Sunderland's only triumph after the Second World War was their second FA Cup in 1973, when they secured a 1–0 victory over Leeds United thanks to a goal scored by Ian Porterfield.

Sunderland play their home games in the Stadium of Light, an all-seater, having moved from Roker Park in 1997 for a stadium of higher capacity. The ground initially held 42,000 supporters, but that was increased to 49,000 after redevelopment in 2000. Sunderland have a long-standing rivalry with their neighbouring club Newcastle United, with whom they have contested the Tyne–Wear derby since 1898.

Modern Era

After the success that Peter Reid brought to Sunderland of two 7th place finishes mainly achieved by teaming up Niall Quinn and Super Kevin Phillips, Quinn returned to the club as chairman. Backed by his Irish business connections Quinn hired Roy Keane who took Sunderland from bottom place in the championship to the EPL and helped us stay there. In his 2nd season in the EPL as our boss Roy Keane revealed his true colours and left the club due to his inability to manage a team through anything other than fear. Sbargia took over and lead Sunderland to a last day survival that saw our greatest enemies Newcastle United relegated.

During this time Sunderland were bought by Ellis Short a Texan billionaire who some fans were concerned about, would he be another Hicks and Gillett or another Randy Lerner. Short has pumped alot of funds into Sunderland and wants to build Sunderland AFC into a prem force.

Besides winning the Championship our last major trophy was the FA Cup, this saw a 1-0 win over Leeds United(I still remind the missus about that even now)also seeing Jim Montgomery pull off the greatest save in the history of football. Although the team is weak in some areas there is huge potential in Sunderland for anyone willing to take up the challenge.

Database - 10.3 with some edits pushing Jack Colback and Jordan Henderson to -9 PA.

The Squad and First Season Goals

The squad needs lots of replacing and the main areas are the need for lots of creativity in midfield, some decent strikers to go with Darren Bent and a new back four. The media prediction is 16th but I said midtable as I expect a top half finish but wanted to be save in what I told the board. This gave me around £6 million to spend along with 100 percent of any transfers.

First Season Transfers Out

Steed Malbranque to Man City for £11.25 million

Kenwyne Jones to Chelsea for £11 million

Kieran Richardson to Liverpool for £4.1 million

Anton Ferdinand to Napoli for £3.8 million

People that know me know that my favourite formation and tactic is a 4-3-2-1, I will use the same set up and go with a 4-3-1-2 and simply move one AMC up top to form a top two. There will not be many crosses so Kenwyne Jones was shifted on for a decent £11 million up front, without the need for wingers the stupidity of Man City played to my advantage as they took Malbranque for £11.25 million. Richardson I do not like too much in real life although he did score a screamer against Newcastle a couple of seasons a go that was not enough to keep him so he went bye bye to Liverpool. Anton Ferdinand is complete crap in real life so off he went to any club that would bid anything.

Transfers In

Fernando Gago on loan from Real Madrid for 725k initial fee and a future fee of £5 million

Axel Witsel from Standard for £3.5 million

Roberto Soldado from Getafe for £12.5 million

James Rodriguez from Banfield for £2.5 million

Seb Blanco from Lanus for £3 million

Andre-Pierre Gignac from Toulouse for £7.5 million

Landon Donovan from LA Galaxy for £8 million

Also people that know me and how I play know I love goals so I needed a new back four so instead of that I thought why not spend all the money on attacking talent and see what happens. Gago is a great deep lying playmaker although he has been hit and miss in previous saves of mine. Witsel is a decent CM that cannot tackle but with Cana and Cattermole around they will more than make up for it. Gignac and Soldado are brought in as hopefully both can score some goals and rotate up front with Bent. Donovan will play the AMC role, with the tactic I use the AMC is more about getting into the box and scoring rather than playmaking. Blanco and Rodriguez are skilled CMs or AMCs that will either succeed or be sold on for a decent profit in a season or two.

This save contains some embarrassing defeats and some great wins, there are lots of goals against us and for us. When I play as Sunderland I always try to get the defence working first but thought I might as well try in reverse starting with getting the attack and working on the defence next year. This is the first save out of 5 or 6 attempts with Sunderland that has lasted more than a season or two. It will be my last career posted on here for FM10.

Hope you enjoy.

English Premier League Results and Final Table

eplpx.jpg

epltable.jpg

The idea to not buy any defenders turned out to be a great piece of management as you can see by the extremely low 68 goals conceded in the Premiership alone. I guess it is easy to see where to try and improve next season. There were some good results throughout the season but two wins in the last eleven games was enough to make the dream or European football slip away. Next season the aim is at least top six if I can get the defence sorted then it shouldn't be a problem. second top scorers in the league and only the bottom two teams let in more goals, some games I probably would have been better off using no defenders at all.

Domestic Cups

cupsp.jpg

First off the league cup, I am not sure why I even posted it as it is easily my worst defeat on any FM ever, Swindon grabbed the winner towards the end of the first period of extra time. We had 5 times as many shots and 5 clear cut chances but just couldn't score, normally it would annoy me but I just laughed it off as an experience.

FA Cup we had a decent run up to the 6th round although we did struggle to beat Nottingham Forest going to a replay to grab an easy win but Man City were just too strong for us in the following round.

Best 11

best11.jpg

Considering how many goals were scored against us the CB pairing of Turner and Kilgallon had decent ratings for the season, I think that their lack of pace was exposed on a few occasions and the fullbacks might as well of just sat down and let people run past them. Up front was decent but Soldado I may look to move on if I can get what I paid for him back, he scored a few but was too inconsistent and missed a few decent chances over the course of the season. Landon Donovan was excellent and had just as many assists as goals, easily the best buy.

Aims and Hopes

Next season has got to be a top 6 to try and get European football and some cash in this also gives the ability to get some better players in. Should be easy, I hope.

good luck man, wondering how long it would take :)

lol, I saw you had moved to them and being as I really got into this save thought our side deserved some decent threads about them. Not sure why it took so many games to get going on my usual save, was beginning to think it would never happen.

Well decent enough first season you should be well set up to move forward, :) and yea there was a lack of sunderland threads, part of me wanted to start again but decided to stick to the save as sunderland needed rescuing :)

my only question is Why Flapping Fulop over Gordon?

Went based on form, Gordon had a few shockers and he was injured at the start of the season. The average ratings show that Gordon never really took his chances when he was given them. Next season he will start more games though as I know he is a good keeper.

Wish I had our new GK he looks really good based on yesterday.

I reckon Sunderland may just win the English Premier League in the 2012/13 season with the squad they are building up here. ;)

Have to wait and see.

aye hes good the skills to be a cracking keeper :) so have you got the derbies next season?

No a bit of a spoiler but there will be no derbies for at least the next 4 seasons, our enemies have fallen in to administration twice.

Second Season - Looking For Vast Improvement

transfers2nd.jpg

First the players out Soldado said in the media a move to OM would be too good to turn down so I thought if he wants to go he can and we banked £13 million for his transfer. Lorik Cana also moaned and I think he may have thought he would move to a much bigger club but in the end he moved to a team lower down than we are that do not have the potential to head where we are going so I hope he is happy. McCartney is either injured or crap so he left for £3.6 million with a few other transfers adding to the already decent £24 million budget the board gave us to star the season with.

Needed someone to replace Soldado and Cardozo was £2 million less than what we got for Soldado so it seemed like a good move to bring him in to partner Bent and Gignac up front. Buonanotte, Verratti and Delph were all brought in as they are packed with potential and are still pretty young. Delph mainly because it is hard to get some decent home grown talent in for a reasonable price.

The defence was improved with the young Turk Omer Toprak brought in to partner Turner in the central defence he is reasonably fast and has a decent pass on him so should compliment Turner pretty well. Beck and Figueroa were brought for a combined fee of £19 million to fill the fullback positions, Beck looks really good but I am not sure his opposite will be good enough to stay at the club right through to our eventual title challenge. Craig Cathcart looks like a decent back up to replace the defenders I sold in the summer do not expect too much from the youngster but he looks like he has a decent future. Lastly is a loan deal for Bolzoni the young DMC will replace Cana and provide competition for Cattermoles place as the holding midfielder.

English Premier League Results and Standings

eplres.jpg

eplv.jpg

Great finish for only the second season only 3 points behind the champions but we were never that close to getting the title along with other teams under performing this helped us grab Champions League football for the first time. Some great results 1-0 away win against Man City a 2-0 win away against the eventual champions, also some disappointment during the league but overall a great performance. Also highlighted our need for a stronger squad as some players were struggling fitness wise towards the end of the season.

Domestic Cups

Another poor season in the cups out to Arsenal at our first attempt in the FA Cup we managed a 1-1 draw at the Emirates but in the replay we lost 1-0 at home. The League Cup was just as annoying 5-0 away win at Charlton was followed by a 3-0 away win against Swansea, next up a trip away against the mighty West Brom. We were dispatched 3-2 in a game that we were outplayed in.

The Best Eleven Of The Season

best11.jpg

Some great performances but most shocking to me was the emergence of Kilgallon as a great player at CB or LB. Donovan was the star of the show grabbing Fans Player Of The Year for the second season running. 28 goals in 34 matches and a big average rating of 7.62 he was helped out by the two strikers but ideally they should have grabbed more goals than they did really as 1 in 3 is not that brilliant for Gignac.

Targets for next season are at least one more prolific striker and a even better DMC as I couldn't decide on Bolzoni and Cattermole has a habit of getting sent off or playing extremely bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the comments lad, I loaded Spain, Italy and Germany I started with a international footballer rep.

Unfortunately the game will not load so that's me done with careers until FM11 now unless I get a few seasons ahead on my new save.

Archived