FMO Help - Need advice? Ask your question here!

bell

Please give the following information if possible: (The more information you give, the better we will be able to help you)

If unsure, please ask! icon_smile.gif

Operating system ?

Service packs installed ?

net connection ?

ISP ?

router involved ?

anti virus software ?

Firewall software ?

Please note, there are many different types of modems out there on the market and they all function differently too, however, if you require some more information about Port Forwarding, then please visit the following website : http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and look for your modem in the list.

(Credit to Cougar and John Paul Remington)

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please give the following information if possible: (The more information you give, the better we will be able to help you)

If unsure, please ask! icon_smile.gif

Operating system ?

Service packs installed ?

net connection ?

ISP ?

router involved ?

anti virus software ?

Firewall software ?

Please note, there are many different types of modems out there on the market and they all function differently too, however, if you require some more information about Port Forwarding, then please visit the following website : http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm and look for your modem in the list.

(Credit to Cougar and John Paul Remington)

Hey, myself and a few friends are trying to get an online game going. Everyone else can manage to get into the actual game except myself, and I'm fairly sure that I don't have a firewall. I'm using Windows 2000 Professional. Is there any way of checking whether or not the ports 10093 and 10094 are open?

Greatly appreciated,

Mark.

I've since discovered that the router is the most likely source of the problem. I've tried to use http://www.portforward.com but the routers listed don't include my own! It's an "Alvarion" if that means anything to you, and I've had a few people trying to help me out to no avail so I don't really expect you to have an answer but it would be great if you did. Thanks for your time anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Please ask any questions here and we will try to help. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I try to play via internet with a friend, i create a server and when he types the IP adress in the network game there is a message "unable to find server".

What can we do about this??????????

I have read what you said here however I am still not understanding icon_frown.gif

Me and my next-door cousin are trying to set up an online game. I managed to load it up and everything no problem, with me as server. However since he has the faster connection and the better computer, I wanted to try it with him as server. Using the exact same procedure, I loaded a new game - however, the game does not give me the machine's IP server - just a 10.0.0.1 (without a 194.xxx.xx.xx behind it)

I found his IP address from an internet site and came on my PC to log on to the game. No such luck "unable to connect to server"

Can you help me?

when setting up a pc to run as server and loading the new game we are getting stuck due to the fact that the ip address isn't being shown in the game status section (only a 10.0.0.1 is being given). we tried another pc as server and same thing happened. both pcs have win xp as operating sys. & an adsl connection. I tried to remove win xp firewall totally(or at least i hope so) however same thing happened. if you have any idea on what we're doing wrong pls helpEMAIL]philipm@maltanet.net[/email]

me and 2<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

When i try and play a lan game when i set one pc up as a server the other joins fine, but when you click add user it takes you back to the network menu screen.

I on the other pc i can see the added manager on the server pc, so this indicates that there are no firewall/connection issues.

Hey me and a friend are playing a double online game. I am hosting and everything is fine for me, but for my friend he cannot make subs or tactical changes during a match. ANyobdy know why?

Hi guys,

Just got this game, first edition I will be playing. Just one question, I want to play against my some other people in my house, how do I start a LAN-game?

Hi guys,

Just got this game, first edition I will be playing. Just one question, I want to play against my some other people in my house, how do I start a LAN-game?

I'm tryin to set up an internet game with a mate but iv got a router and so has he and wen i set up 2 host a game it comes up with an ip address but it wont work when he puts it in2 his computer. Its not firewalls coz we av both turned these off. Any help will be much appreciated! Cheers

Is there any way I can set a password after the game has started in an online game??

I know I can choose to use a password when adding a new user, but I forget at that time...

Anyone can login to my team now.

I hope anyone can help me...

Thanx in advance!

Guys im sorry but some of youa are simplybeing lazy - search the forums for some of these brief questions before posting - if you simply ask "how do i start an online game" nobody will help you. You should at least research how to and then when you have issues with certain aspects then post. Do you have a router? Modem? Do you anti-virus? Do you use windows firewall?

can someone pls explain how to create online server?

i go into network play, and new game???Pls can someone detaild explain how to start online play and where is ip of mine server???

Im trying to connect to my cousins m8s fm 2006 game and it keeps saying " the server you are trying to connect with is running an incompatable version of the game" my cousins version is the same as mine he can connect to it but why cant i???

OK scrap that last question, new problem.

I am at Uni trying to play online, and despite having opened ports 10093 and 10094 TCP & UDP, I still can't host or even join a game. I don't have a router as far as I am aware, and have Norton Internet Security disabled.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? The Uni firewall blocking access or something?

Any help greatly appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bell:

Hi I have a question about starting a online game of fm 2006. First me and my friend both have the same version of the game and i also followed the fm manuals instuctions to make a online game. But i get 2 ip numbers which one is it we need to use?

We have tried useing both of the numbers at the smae time and using them sepparetly.

me and my freind tryed to set up a network game but each time i put his ip address in it says unable to connect and the same happens to him when he types in mine do you no why

Ok this is a weird one hope someone can help,

The other day me and a mate started a game on-line. All was well we finished playing for the night and I saved the game and went to bed. tried to load up today and the game loaded fine on my PC however he tried to get back on and got the 'unable to connect to server' message. However nothing has changed on either of our PC's and we have no problem getting on the bigger clan game on the nights we play. Can anyone help?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Premiershipking:

Ok this is a weird one hope someone can help,

The other day me and a mate started a game on-line. All was well we finished playing for the night and I saved the game and went to bed. tried to load up today and the game loaded fine on my PC however he tried to get back on and got the 'unable to connect to server' message. However nothing has changed on either of our PC's and we have no problem getting on the bigger clan game on the nights we play. Can anyone help? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well something has change on the server.

Might be as simple as your ISP has given you a new IP address which can happen from time to time.

On XP click START then RUN

type

CMD

then hit enter

type

IPCONFIG

then enter make sure your mate is using that IP address, he might be clicking on the server game list on his game which will have your old IP address.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cantonaisgod:

OK scrap that last question, new problem.

I am at Uni trying to play online, and despite having opened ports 10093 and 10094 TCP & UDP, I still can't host or even join a game. I don't have a router as far as I am aware, and have Norton Internet Security disabled.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be? The Uni firewall blocking access or something?

Any help greatly appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've covered this on another thread.

Unless your hosting you'll not need to open ports.

What you will find though, if you are unsing the university network those ports will be denied on a firewall at the uni internet connection.

Its standard network practise to close all unneeded ports to improve the network security and limit the chance of anything malicious happening on the network.

EPL DAYTIME CLAN

We need help! we are serving 8 players online and need to know the best settigns to have in place to be of benefit.

What db is best

What settings in preferences are best to adopt.

We think we have maximised all the settings but want it to run faster!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bunhead:

Im trying to connect to my cousins m8s fm 2006 game and it keeps saying " the server you are trying to connect with is running an incompatable version of the game" my cousins version is the same as mine he can connect to it but why cant i??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do all 3 of you have the official patch installed, this normally happens when someone hasn't downloaded and installed the patch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lomaxgr:

Bell out of interest, have you or any other moderators found out if Nvidia network cards compatible with fm 06? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I host and run fine on NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller which is built into my nForce board with no problems at all

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Originally posted by bunhead:

Im trying to connect to my cousins m8s fm 2006 game and it keeps saying " the server you are trying to connect with is running an incompatable version of the game" my cousins version is the same as mine he can connect to it but why cant i???

Do all 3 of you have the official patch installed, this normally happens when someone hasn't downloaded and installed the patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no i have 6.01, my cuz has 6.00 nd his m8 has 6.00!

does that make a difference thn?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bunhead:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">quote:

Do all 3 of you have the official patch installed, this normally happens when someone hasn't downloaded and installed the patch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

does that make a difference thn? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes it mattersfor the best performance from the game you should all run the lattest version ( Football Manager 2006 v6.0.1 Build 70473) which can be downloaded from here http://www.sigames.com/downloads.php?type=download&id=357&file=411

Seeings I got no replies to my request for help, I shall post it again in here.

My issue is that whatever I do, I cannot play a game over the internet with my mate. We both have the game with the latest patch. We've both forwarded ports 10093 & 10094 (TCP and UDP). When either of us tries to act as the server, the check box to act as server is checked. I'm using a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 router an my OS is XP sp2. Running a 1.5MB ADSL connection. If any other info is needed I'm happy to provide it.

I've tried looking through this forum for answers but can't actually find one that suits my problem as it usually relates to port forwarding or just having the wrong idea, which is neither a problem for myself or my friend. We both managed to play FM2005 online for waaaaay too many hours.

Can anyone please shed any light on this problem?!

It doesnt look like this is the thread for getting answers, so I'll summarise:

Me, XP, NTL 1MB, 6.1 etc, running as server and sitting here with my game waiting for my....

Mate, Win98, Dial-up, 6.1, not good with computers but I'm helping him via MSN. About 20 times now he's had 'unable to connect to server' messages after I have troubleshooted one thing after another with him. No routers or any of that stuff, everything is fairly simple.

Not sure about his ports (to be honest I havent got a clue about ports), but are they automatically closed? He has no anti-v or firewall running, nor do I.

icon_confused.gif

Any help would be much appreciated (although I get the impression I am at the back of a fairly big line) icon_smile.gif

does that make a difference thn? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you are all running the same game version and same database you won't be able to connect to each other

thats explains the error message you were recieving.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rxc:

My issue is that whatever I do, I cannot play a game over the internet with my mate. We both have the game with the latest patch. We've both forwarded ports 10093 & 10094 (TCP and UDP). When either of us tries to act as the server, the check box to act as server is checked. I'm using a Netcomm NB1300PLUS4 router an my OS is XP sp2. Running a 1.5MB ADSL connection. If any other info is needed I'm happy to provide it.

I've tried looking through this forum for answers but can't actually find one that suits my problem as it usually relates to port forwarding or just having the wrong idea, which is neither a problem for myself or my friend. We both managed to play FM2005 online for waaaaay too many hours.

Can anyone please shed any light on this problem?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your router is it set to portfoward the ports to your pc ip address ?

Your mate doesn't need to port forward only the host behind a router.

XP firewall on or off, if on turn it off or allow fm.exe to be excempt.

Remember installing xp sp2 automatically turns on the firewall.

Norton internet security installed on any machine ? FM needs to be allowed to pass through this aswell, zone alarm or any similar software again need to have fm allowed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by furtherseemsforever:

Me, XP, NTL 1MB, 6.1 etc, running as server and sitting here with my game waiting for my....

Mate, Win98, Dial-up, 6.1, not good with computers but I'm helping him via MSN. About 20 times now he's had 'unable to connect to server' messages after I have troubleshooted one thing after another with him. No routers or any of that stuff, everything is fairly simple.

Not sure about his ports (to be honest I havent got a clue about ports), but are they automatically closed? He has no anti-v or firewall running, nor do I.

icon_confused.gif

Any help would be much appreciated (although I get the impression I am at the back of a fairly big line) icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again 1st place to check, XP firewall on or off, sp2 turns this on automatically, allow fm .exe to be excempt from the firewall.

Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security, Sygate any of these applications installed ?

these will all stop you playing fm online.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jaws99:

Hi. When i try and join an online games it says unable to connect. How can i fix this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd recommend running through the last few posts I've made and see how many of these relate to your game

cheers

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Paul Remington:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rxc:

Can anyone please shed any light on this problem?! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your router is it set to portfoward the ports to your pc ip address ?

Your mate doesn't need to port forward only the host behind a router.

XP firewall on or off, if on turn it off or allow fm.exe to be excempt.

Remember installing xp sp2 automatically turns on the firewall.

Norton internet security installed on any machine ? FM needs to be allowed to pass through this aswell, zone alarm or any similar software again need to have fm allowed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Righto. Thanks for the reply. My answers are as follows.

1. Yes the router has the ports forwarded to my PC address as opposed to the internet address. My mate has done the same on his machine too. This is because ideally he would be host, but we were trying to see if mine would work so we could at least play.

2. XP Firewall is definitely off. The only firewall I have is the NAT on my router.

3. I deleted all norton programs because they eat more memory than you can poke a stick at. Once again there is no firewall software on either computer.

Any more ideas?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Paul Remington:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by furtherseemsforever:

icon_confused.gif

Any help would be much appreciated (although I get the impression I am at the back of a fairly big line) icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again 1st place to check, XP firewall on or off, sp2 turns this on automatically, allow fm .exe to be excempt from the firewall.

Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security, Sygate any of these applications installed ?

these will all stop you playing fm online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything is sound at my end. All stuff turned off on both computers. Anything on his Win 98 that may be affecting it?

icon_confused.gif

these will all stop you playing fm online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything is sound at my end. All stuff turned off on both computers. Anything on his Win 98 that may be affecting it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup any of the above mentioned software in the win98 machine will stop it.

I've not used the games on 98 and don't know if there are any other issue with this OS.

Can he go to a dos prompt and type

ping x.x.x.x

where x.x.x.x equals your ip address ?

does he get a reply?

Righto. Thanks for the reply. My answers are as follows.

1. Yes the router has the ports forwarded to my PC address as opposed to the internet address. My mate has done the same on his machine too. This is because ideally he would be host, but we were trying to see if mine would work so we could at least play.

2. XP Firewall is definitely off. The only firewall I have is the NAT on my router.

3. I deleted all norton programs because they eat more memory than you can poke a stick at. Once again there is no firewall software on either computer.

Any more ideas? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

First thing I would do would be remove the router and try our mate connecting to you without the router.

If this works then we know the issue is with the router, if not then something else.

If it works without the router put your router back on and we can look at configuring that to get it to work.

try that then let me know.

Add me to msn if its easier

I have found a couple of people with the same problem i have but neither of them have managed to find a solution.

I am trying to play a network game with my brother, we are both running FM06 with v6.0.1 Build 70473 patch. My brother can connect to my pc and "new user client" appears on my game status however, when he clicks new user his game freezes and he can't enter his name or chose a team. We have tried turning firewalls off, reinstalling the game, nothing works, can someone please help because it is starting to drive us both up the wall!!

I have found a couple of people with the same problem i have but neither of them have managed to find a solution.

I am trying to play a network game with my brother, we are both running FM06 with v6.0.1 Build 70473 patch. My brother can connect to my pc and "new user client" appears on my game status however, when he clicks new user his game freezes and he can't enter his name or chose a team. We have tried turning firewalls off, reinstalling the game, nothing works, can someone please help because it is starting to drive us both up the wall!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by swannyjnr32:

I am trying to play a network game with my brother, we are both running FM06 with v6.0.1 Build 70473 patch. My brother can connect to my pc and "new user client" appears on my game status however, when he clicks new user his game freezes and he can't enter his name or chose a team. We have tried turning firewalls off, reinstalling the game, nothing works, can someone please help because it is starting to drive us both up the wall!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does your pc have an AMD64 processor ?

or an nforce board with nVidia network card?

there seems to be additional work required for this to run on this hardware although I do know a host who runs fine with the above.

ta

Archived