World Cup Podcasts

GillsMan

OK,

First the ad. Some friends of mine recorded a podcast last night which is available on iTunes now. Obviously I'm biased, but I quite liked it, but I guess some people may hate it. It's from the guys at The Real FA Cup, which was a look at the lower ranked teams in the FA Cup (as in lower, lower leagues, looking at Dartford, Whitley Bay, Dulwich Hamlet, etc).

So, in a similar vein, The Real World Cup podcast will look at perhaps some of the smaller nations, e.g. Honduras, North Korea, New Zealand, etc, so you won't find so much England, Brazil, Spain chat, etc). Regular features include "Media Watch" - looking at how hackneyed and laughable the media is during the tournament, Face My Fact - a fact-off competition, and looking at news, etc.

If you're looking for polished and professional, don't download it. If you're looking for mainstream chat - don't download it; frankly there are plenty of more professsional podcasts around already covering the bigger nations (even if some of them doff their caps to the lower ranked nations from time to time). But it's a hopefully humerous look at some of the aspects of the World Cup which might not be covered in other podcasts.

Episode 1 Vuvu Pigmy is available now on iTunes. Search "Real World Cup" on iTunes, or go here for the direct feed.

PS - don't download the test preview. It's terrible!

Right, so advert over (apologies for that btw), I'm big into podcasts, and subscribe to lots of them. Football-wise I currently subscribe to:

World Cup Daily (from the Football Weekly team at the Guardian)

World Cup Daily (yes, BBC Radio 5 Live's podcast of the same name)

The Football Ramble

I also subscribe to the Sunday Supplement podcast which is terrible, and the Coca Cola Football League podcast with Clem.

The Guardian's podcast is the stand out for me. James Richardson and Barry Glendenning are always worth listening to - although Glendenning seems to get a lot of stick. They've only done a preview so far, but I'm looking forward to their regular podcasts.

World Cup Daily I like because it's so varied. They'll have extracts from the Monday Night Club, or discussion about a game. The other day they had Trevor Nelson doing an extra long one on South Africa as a nation, which I almost didn't listen to because, well, it's Trevor Nelson, but it's excellent. I like the Ramble, even if the guys on there can be a bit annoying at times. Very good podcast for an amateur show - not sure if we could still call them amateurs these days tbf though.

So, what podcasts are you listening to for the World Cup? Any worth subscribing to? Basically, I listen to a lot of tech/IT podcasts as well, but am pretty much going to sack them off over the World Cup if I can fill up on more podcasts.

Guest roberto922

I'm listening to the podcasts that the Guardian and EPL Talk are doing, and Football Ramble ofc

Yeah, only recently started listening to the Ramble, and it's good. Though the "Ramble Force Hooooooo" intro to all emails is grating.

What about the Times podcast, anyone listen to that? Any good?

Ooh, I can't stand phone-ins. Too many cringeworthy moments (e.g. that bit where the caller is introduced, and doesn't know whether to speak straight away). Hideous.

Yeah, only recently started listening to the Ramble, and it's good. Though the "Ramble Force Hooooooo" intro to all emails is grating.

What about the Times podcast, anyone listen to that? Any good?

I like the Ramble but it seems a bit forced sometimes, like they are trying too hard. Can be excellent though, the hall of fame thing is genuinely interesting and well researched.

I like the Ramble but it seems a bit forced sometimes, like they are trying too hard. Can be excellent though, the hall of fame thing is genuinely interesting and well researched.

It's ok but there could be with a bit more 'let one person speak at a time' going on, especially when they're talking about games and do this constant 'one-upping' type thing

"Oh, it was a great goal"

"I think in the 15th minute"

"Yeah, Smith crossed it in, I remember"

"Yeah, it was good"

Ooh, I can't stand phone-ins. Too many cringeworthy moments (e.g. that bit where the caller is introduced, and doesn't know whether to speak straight away). Hideous.

I agree, only thing worse than a call in show is a call in show with the 'best' calls!

Times is good although Marcotti simply can't be argued with and he's always right in whatever he thinks. Patrick Barclay comes out with some crap but they're generally good. Much, much better now Phil Jupitus has nothing to do with it.

Found that Baddiel thing, on Absolute Radio or something, googled it, downloaded but not listened yet

Alan Davies has got one called Alan Davis' Armchair World Cup. It's broadcast on 5live but the Podcast is up on iTunes too. Downloaded it but not given it a listen yet.

It's ok but there could be with a bit more 'let one person speak at a time' going on, especially when they're talking about games and do this constant 'one-upping' type thing

"Oh, it was a great goal"

"I think in the 15th minute"

"Yeah, Smith crossed it in, I remember"

"Yeah, it was good"

Yeah, I've noticed this, it's really annoying. Stop trying to pretend you haven't all just researched it ffs!

Archived