The Big One. England v Australia. The Ashes. Cricket. Spoliers.

wycombe

• Replies 24.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">"Who the **** calls Tresco banger?"

Copied from BBC. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Silly me.

Here's the quote:

Marcus Trescothick's nickname is Banger

He got his nickname because he loves sausages!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

There you go Scatter, Billy got that one right I reckon </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although it was hitting leg stump!

However you can see the bottom of all three stumps so I can understand Bowden's decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i'll take that.

less than 450 icon14.gif

gilchrists mare is the difference between sub 300 and cruising though icon13.gif

anything over 400 and we're right in this, and if we bat until the end of tomorrow, we'd probably be favourites... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think you'll avoid the follow on then scats ?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Unlikely the Aussies can win it now, just playing for the draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha no chance mate, do you know anything about cricket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Haz:

I've no faith in Hawyeye anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? I thought statistically it was over 90% correct. Is that not right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BifferSpice:

I've no faith in Hawyeye anyway </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? I thought statistically it was over 90% correct. Is that not right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Too many times I think it makes odd judgements on the bounce of balls among other things. Most test umpires stack up at around 95% of decisions given correctly according to something I read a while go, so there is not much point in using technology which is evidently up to 5% more fallible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> please for the love of god, and for the sake of the series, tell me that this is bowdens last test of the series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, what did he do this time? I've only got TMS.

Scatter, are you actually in Australia or over here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nothing in particular. he's just ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scatter:

i'll take that.

less than 450 icon14.gif

gilchrists mare is the difference between sub 300 and cruising though icon13.gif

anything over 400 and we're right in this, and if we bat until the end of tomorrow, we'd probably be favourites... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

think you'll avoid the follow on then scats ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, if we don't on this pitch, we've got real problems.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andrew Jolly:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> please for the love of god, and for the sake of the series, tell me that this is bowdens last test of the series. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why, what did he do this time? I've only got TMS.

Scatter, are you actually in Australia or over here? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

nothing in particular. he's just ****.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pengedragon:

i'll take that.

less than 450 icon14.gif

think you'll avoid the follow on then scats ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

mate, if we don't on this pitch, we've got real problems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I reckon the Aussies will get to 400-500 pretty quickly cos its a flat wicket, but the manchester weather will ensure the draw as the match gets exciting. To be honest, i'd rather we lost a close and exciting test match rather than it be drawn due to rain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> nothing in particular. he's just ****. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you mate, and his ridiculous signalling makes it even worse. His 'drinks' sign is far and away the worst.

The reason I asked whether you were in Australia is that I'm coming to Australia for a year next year and wondered what opportunities there were for watching and playing (at a very amateur club level) In Oz during the summer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NICK_GIFF:

To be honest, i'd rather we lost a close and exciting test match rather than it be drawn due to rain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

wash your mouth out ffs this is the ashes man icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Bacon:

Unlikely the Aussies can win it now, just playing for the draw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

ha no chance mate, do you know anything about cricket? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup icon_razz.gif

Bearing in mind the weather arent good for tomorrow, so the Aussies (assuming the dont collapse) will be batting all today and well into tomorrow. That only leaves the 4th and 5th Day to complete the 2nd innings.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Scatter, you missed what i asked you before. Did your opinion of Bell change at all after his knock, and if so which way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i haven't read all the back pages yet.

no, it hasn't. not yet. you've got to remember, they're batting on concrete here, and he did struggle for long periods.

he did do a good job, and showed admirable temperament, but i still have serious reservations about his technique. he's still getting caught walking into his defensive shots. and while that won't matter when the ball is straight up and down, on pitches with variable bounce, or lots of lateral movement, he'll struggle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ericcantona7:

Yup icon_razz.gif

Bearing in mind the weather arent good for tomorrow, so the Aussies (assuming the dont collapse) will be batting all today and well into tomorrow. That only leaves the 4th and 5th Day to complete the 2nd innings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

both sides have so far shown an admirable ability to collapse without warning. icon_biggrin.gif

the first two tests would've both been won and lost even if almost a full day had been lost to weather...

Yup icon_razz.gif

Bearing in mind the weather arent good for tomorrow, so the Aussies (assuming the dont collapse) will be batting all today and well into tomorrow. That only leaves the 4th and 5th Day to complete the 2nd innings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

erm say they finish batting by tomorrow night at the latest and match our score, they can easily bowl us out on Sunday and chase whatever total we get on Monday. I'd say a draw is the least likely result at the moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mark g:

Scatter, you missed what i asked you before. Did your opinion of Bell change at all after his knock, and if so which way? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no, it hasn't. not yet. you've got to remember, they're batting on concrete here, and he did struggle for long periods.

he did do a good job, and showed admirable temperament, but i still have serious reservations about his technique. he's still getting caught walking into his defensive shots. and while that won't matter when the ball is straight up and down, on pitches with variable bounce, or lots of lateral movement, he'll struggle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't remember if your reservations had been technique or temprament related.

he did do a good job, and showed admirable temperament, but i still have serious reservations about his technique. he's still getting caught walking into his defensive shots. and while that won't matter when the ball is straight up and down, on pitches with variable bounce, or lots of lateral movement, he'll struggle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i couldn't remember if your reservations had been technique or temprament related. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

it would have been hard to question his temperament given that he's never really batted under duress at test level.

i have to say, after here, and at edgbaston, given the pressure he was under from the press, he looks to be a pretty tough character.

rumour is that michael clarkes series is over icon13.gif

rumour is that michael clarkes series is over icon13.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's tough luck if it's true. Would have been bad enough had it happened between tests, but to have to play two innings with 10 batsmen as well is a double blow. icon13.gif

Archived