[FM10] What's death like?.. "Have you been to Swindon?!"

uncle ron

I bet you get sacked before the World Cup starts.

And then USA go and win it.

150px-CBF_logo.svg.png

Fortunately I didn't get sacked before the World Cup started. This was despite a 2-1 defeat away at Argentina in the qualifiers.

Of the remaining 9 games I managed I had a 7-1-1 record. We qualified with 4 games to spare and eventually finished with 44 points, 6 above Argentina. The 44 points being the highest total in the CONMEBOL Qualifiers to date.

So I get Brazil back to the World Cup after missing out in 2022. I have been given the target to reach the final. Reading between the lines this means I need to win. With all possibility I should make it out of the groups as we've been paired with Saudi Arabia, Hungary and Algeria...

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

150px-CBF_logo.svg.png

FIFA World Cup 2026 - Host: U.S.A.

Group A - Australia, Ukraine, Belgium, Angola

Group B - Portugal, El Salvador, France, Colombia

Group C - Scotland, Germany, New Zealand, Iran

Group D - Argentina, China, Croatia, Nigeria

Group E - Saudi Arabia, Brazil, Algeria, Hungary

Game 1 - Brazil 0 - 1 Saudi Arabia - Shock first game of the tournament sees the favourites defeated by S.Arabia. We dominate but can beat them.

Game 2 - Brazil 1 - 0 Hungary - Another game we dominate but find it very hard to break down the opposition. Former Swindon AM/FC Wallace gets himself sent off. We fortunately manage to score a scrappy goal to win.

Game 3 - Brazil 1 - 0 Algeria - Significant shots on target but we still only win by a single goal. Injuries are now starting to take their toll.

Group F - Greece, USA, Uruguay, Ivory Coast

Group G - Mexico, Spain, Switzerland, Morocco

Group F - Russia, Italy, Chile, Guatemala

2nd Round

Australia 0p - 0 El Salvador

Ukraine 0 - 1 Portugal - The holders go out

China 1 - 0 Scotland

Argentina 1 - 2 Germany

Saudi Arabia 0 - 2 USA

Brazil 1 - 0 Greece - Again we fail to score more than 1 goal despite all my efforts.

Italy 1 - 0 Mexico

Spain 0 - 4 Russia

Quarter Final

Australia 1 - 2 Germany

Portugal 0 - 0p China

USA 1aet - 0 Russia

Brazil 3aet - 2 Italy - One of the most memorable games I've ever played on FM. After conceding early only then to equalise, early in the 2nd half we go behind and then down to 10 men only for me to think all is lost. Remarkably we soon get one back and then keep Italy at bay until former Swindon MC Genesio scores from 35 yards and we hold out to secure a semi-final place.

Semi-Final

Germany 0 - 2 Brazil - After the action of the quarter final the semi was a simpler affair against a disappointed German team. We ran out easy winners.

China 2 - 0 USA

I'm so gutted USA couldn't make it to the final as it would have been amazing to played my former team.

3rd place game

Germany 2 - 3 USA

Final

Brazil 1 - 1p China - Yes we met expectations but messed it up in the final. China were ranked 35th in the world and were the runners up in the last tournament, but I still expected to beat them. They held firm, my stupid MC got himself sent off and I thought all was lost when China to an 85th minute lead. We hit back pretty much straight away to take the game to extra time. Penalties is such a cruel way to lose. China converted all and we missed the 6th. Gutted!

Anyway the Brazil FA want to keep me on!! I've avoided the sack and enthralled the entire nation!

Given what everyone else has experienced in their saved games, I'm very surprised they haven't sacked me, especially after the Saudi defeat.

I can only put avoiding the sack down to restoring the national team to their place at the top of the table. We are now World No.1 for the first time in about 6 years. The Brazilians failed to Qualify for the 2022 World Cup (7th place in Qualifiying) and were knocked out (by my USA team) in the Quarter Finals of the last Copa America. So I've achieved a radical improvement, nearly the impossible by actually winning the cup.

Unfortunately there were no bungs.... this isn't Ultimate Soccer Manager :)

China are a good team, but still a surprise world champion.

I'm still unsure where my international future lies. After the tournament no jobs came up that interested me and the England Manager is still in their job.

I might just stick around in Brazil until the Copa America.

Archived