A-League Expansion

ruttiger_ruttiger

Originally posted by ruttiger_ruttiger:

Australian cricket records - 52 beers to London by David Boon, 6 cigarettes in a one kilometre run by Doug Walters, Greg Chappel and Ian Botham in a fist fight, bowling underarm because it was in the rules but crying foul with bodyline which was also in the rules, and the son of the best cricketer ever so ashamed by his father that he changed his name from Bradman to Bradnam. There is also the fact that when you receive a baggy sky-blue cap, you get a green one in a paper bag (as it was put so well by David Hookes). Australian cricket might have a holier than thou attitude but is really quite blinded to it's own ineptitudes at times.

He changed his name to Bradson, not Bradnam icon_smile.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh...sydfc4ever...are you confident going in to the second leg??? Once again we owned it without any clear cut chances. It's kinda like betting on a mule to procreate. See you in Brisbane.

I haven't been confident with Sydney all season!!

Kosmina is a great seasonal coach, but he must change his style coming into the finals coz he can't close it out! Sadly I wouldn't be shocked to see you beat us. I'm just happy we pulled out finger out and made the finals. To next year! Still, should be a great game down the club.

Rumour has it that the announcement will come this week in regard to the expansion for next year. A less strong rumour is that FFA wants Northern Thunder FC to change the name, although i doubt they will as they have stated they want to draw from Northern Territory as well, hence the current name fits for both North Queensland and the Territory. We'll wait and see though, as i have been waiting on progress on this front for ages.

I really gotta stop posting on here after a big night on the booze. It's exacerbated by the excitement of a good game of football.

Anyway...FFA are having a meeting on Feb 21 to decide the Gold Coast Galaxy and Northern Thunder bids. Probably makes sense not to overshadow the finals series by announcing it too soon. I still think both will get in, although there is a rumour floating around about Wollongong making a secret bid, but i think that's just wishful thinking on the behalf of the people in NSW.

Originally posted by DS:

QSL logo sucks.

I agree especially as in the text it explains the design, saying that the gold in the middle is the Q-League while it is bounded by the A-League and BPL in maroon. I kinda think it says that the QSL will be a pale imitation of what has come before. just my opinion though.

I'm getting hyped up for this arvo's game to see who the roar will be playing next...kinda hope it will be central coast, but it's not due to malice, we just play better against them then newcastle this year.

I'm also getting extremely excited about FM2009, if it will include an expanded a_league and 7 subs in the EPL...could make for a much more interesting game as these and USA (which will also expand) are the only leagues i play in the game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

QSL logo sucks.

I agree especially as in the text it explains the design, saying that the gold in the middle is the Q-League while it is bounded by the A-League and BPL in maroon. I kinda think it says that the QSL will be a pale imitation of what has come before. just my opinion though.

I'm getting hyped up for this arvo's game to see who the roar will be playing next...kinda hope it will be central coast, but it's not due to malice, we just play better against them then newcastle this year.

I'm also getting extremely excited about FM2009, if it will include an expanded a_league and 7 subs in the EPL...could make for a much more interesting game as these and USA (which will also expand) are the only leagues i play in the game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont forget the new youth league in australia!

Oh yeh, i forgot about that. It will be interesting to see how it works...especially with the two new teams then having to find a good 30-40 players for both squads. I personally don't think that it is necessary...with the state level clubs seemingly doing quite a good job of finding talent and that talent then moving on to the A-League...in Queensland we have Michael Zullo (Brisbane Olympic), Mitch Nicholls (Palm Beach), Robbie Kruse (QAS and AIS), Tahj Minniecon (AIS)...the system seems to work okay to me. And I doubt the a-League clubs can afford to pump money in to this comp, although if the were curtain-raisers to the main games that would be something of value to the spectators.

Kanu to Gold Coast Galaxy?!?!?! Saw it on TWG website.

I think the FFA should make it 5 foreigners instead of 4 for next season. So instead of having to find another 38 Australian players for the two new teams we would only need 28 because of the 10 extra foreigners (1 per team). I think it will be a fairly large fall in quality of the league next season because most of these guys are going to come from state leagues. Would be good if we brought back guys who dont have much of a chance of playing for the NT back from overseas to play in the A-League. I dont think anyone who has a chance of playing in the NT should be playing in the A-League with so few games.

Blieberg strikers again, by suggesting Kanu may be a guest player for 4-5 games. This won't work on the field. You need a player the crowd can back for the whole season at minimum, preferably two-three seasons. Look at the way the Roar support Reinaldo, he isn't the best player by any stretch but we love him all the same because we've followed the ups and downs over two and bit years. Kevin Philips would be a better signing i reckon anyway, even at 34 yrs of age. Atleast the coaching suggestions were better in that article, I had been wodnering for a while why Krncevic was never in the mix for the empty coaches jobs in the past few years.

I have added the QSL and NBN State League teams and will soon populate...also added a combined Bendigo-Ballarat league and will add Gold Coast Premier League and a Northern Territory League. Also beefing up a few leagues with extra teams such as VPL now includes a few of the "second" division teams like Dandenong Thunder and North Geelong. I have chosen teams based on ease of obtaining logos...not the best method i know but i like to have my graphics consistent.

The playing lists are harder to obtain for a lot of teams, however staff seems easier and this will add more names in to the Regen pile so there will be less people with the same name combinations.

Anyone planning on doing an Australian swap for the 8.02 patch? Either with 8.02 or 8.01 data. Either creating new realistic teams and recreating the actual A-League teams so they get regens or just deleting the A-League teams and using state league teams.

skottii123 - I am currently doing an expansion into Singapore which is 12 teams (with promotion and relegation which will be sort of rigged to ensure that only four or five other teams will ever be promoted based on their reputation)...however i don't like the idea of a draft. This works in the US as players come through the colleges, but since 15-16 yr old here in Oz play for the same club and get trained and improve, that club deserves some form of compensation for the player. Also it means that a successful culture of nurturing youth in the A-League teams would encourage more younger players to join, rather than have them forced to join a team. It's not like it in football, but in the NBA/MLB they treat there players like *****, sending them from LA to Minnesota or Hartford, there are more considerations to playing than just money. Like family, friends, schools, weather, nightlife and of course the beach. Forgive me, but i kinda assumed from the wording of the question that you might be from the states...btw they are introducing a youth league for next season featuring the 7 Australian based A-League teams plus the Australian Institute of Sport (which is our best youth development program for all sports in Oz and has since been copied by many smaller nations around the world). However, general consensus is that it will drain the talent pool of smaller clubs, thereby not allowing young players to oppurtunity to play against hardened (dare i say violent and jaded) veterans in the lower leagues

DS - ofcourse mine is still FM07, may be 7.0.1 if i can sort out a few bugs with the Australian Cup (man i hate that thing), i think i asked this before but can't be bothered searching, is this comp still in FM08?

nope.

MeekoHFC - had a quick look at "your" forum. Forgive the inverted commas. What exactly would you like for me, the creator of this topic to contribute. And what logo are you talking about...the new QSL one, or one of the logos i created for my databases..hopefully it is the former...anyway, excuse any inferred attitude...i drink, and i MEAN i drink. Although i still try to respect proper grammar.

Originally posted by DS:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ruttiger_ruttiger:

DS - ofcourse mine is still FM07, may be 7.0.1 if i can sort out a few bugs with the Australian Cup (man i hate that thing), i think i asked this before but can't be bothered searching, is this comp still in FM08?

nope. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting, obviously the expansions method mentioned in the very first post doesn't work, otherwise i would buy a copy tomorrow...too much bad press from people in this forum and from my real life mates for me to have done it yet. Although as said a few posts back, if FM09 has the expansion teams, i'm there with bells on. Same goes for EA Sports FIFA latest next version (can't remember if they number them a year in advance like they do with Tiger Woods PGA Tour or not...oh no, my penchant for golf games has been revealed).

Interesting thing i noticed, nearly every time i play fm07 after a season or two, Queensland Roar's Reinaldo is always the offer of a transfer bid by Real Salt Lake, and then today in the paper i read that they and Colorado Rockeis are in a bidding war for him. That is brilliantly realistic, kudos to the boys at SI, although it more than likely serendipitous rather than planned. I just hope the Roar do what i do in the game and ask for a 30-50% of next transfer clause, because in my games it takes about another 2-3 yrs and he goes off to play for Benfica or SpLisbon and i make a tidy little profit on the side. That is the best thing in the game, every transfer i make for ppl under 25 I put that clause in, although the original payment is a bit less, the reward is well worth it once the player gets the attention of bigger clubs.

Originally posted by DS:

Well for the next expansion to take the league to 12 teams 1 of the teams would have to be Victorian if not both.

I agree that one of them should be...Geelong would be the best bet I think. They have a stadium and could draw upon the whole southern coast. I'm still not a fan of second teams in a city, especially Melbourne with some of the problems that use to exist. Although i think that a West Sydney/Blue Mountains team would be inevitable. Gippsland had a team in the NSL, but it was a complete flop, so i don't know where a third Vic team would be based. In my expansion i made it Victoria Eureka and based it out at Ballarat/Bendigo way, however i doubt this would work in real life.

Tassie is a no-brainer in my opinion, get in first and watch the support...AFL never bothered and it will be to their detriment. The other best options are definitely Canberra and Wollongong. I doubt there could be a second team in Sth Aust or Wst Australia because the population is so concentrated in the capitals. Queensland is no at it's limit with three teams. I covered Sydney and Vic in the previous post. Of course, there is the possibility of running going overseas. Auckland, Singapore i believe could work. An oceanic united team could also perhaps have a chance, but would probably lack funding. Same for Port Moresby which would be the only other option (PNG used to be part of Australia after all), but security and infrastructure are non-existent up there.

I think a 2nd Melbourne team should be looked into. Victoria should get a 3rd team but there is no place to put that 3rd team if one is in Melbourne and the other in Geelong. All the other cities/regions don't have enough people. Melbourne can easily support 2 teams. Look at how many AFL teams we have and they are getting 40 000 crowds every week. We need to steal some of that AFL fan base and whats more exciting then a derby.

Forgot to add I think we can go past 12 teams in the A-League. Only problem is we dont have good enough players. So I guess we need to wait for the future expansions. Like go to 12 in 2 or 3 years and then 14 in another 2 or 3 years and then 15 in another 2 or 3 years then 16 after that and then thats probably enough.

If there is a second melbourne team, where would it be...and how would it affect support for Victory. Would people jump ship and back the new team or are there football people down there who for whatever reason do not already support Victory and would back a new team. I think West Sydney probably makes more sense, because i have consistently heard rumblings from people about the distance to travel in to the inner city area for games. The new GC Galaxy will definately draw fans away from the roar who i know have been getting pretty good support from Logan, Beaudesert, Beenleigh and the Gold Coast itself. Whether this will be adequately compensated by new fans from a successful season this year, i am unsure of.

From the Herald Sun (Melbourne newspaper):

"Geelong is preparing a bold bid to field an A-League soccer team by 2010.

Political leaders in the city are determined to secure a second Victorian A-League licence, in the wake of Melbourne Victory's success in the first three years of the competition.

Federal Corangamite MP Darren Cheeseman has comissioned a study into the cost, demand and viability of a Geelong-based professional team. The $20,000 study will also investigate construction of a rectangular stadium that could house soccer, rugby and hockey matches."

is anybody else worried by the number of politicians jumping on board the game. They use to treat us like *****, now, in addition to the geelong comment, i read in todays Sunday Mail that Rudd is going to back a bid for the 2018 World Cup. Get the feeling these people don't know what they're talking about and the gullible broader population (who don't understand the nuances and politics of FIFA) will be left dissapointed. There is NO WAY Australia will host the 2018 World Cup, it will be in Europe, i can almost guarantee that. Either Spain, England or Russia I would suggest. We should be looking at 2022 or 2026 by which time the current crop of pollies at all levels would have been voted out anyway in a normal electoral cycle. Rudd was quoted as saying in the article that the stadiums Telstra Dome, MCG, ANZ Stadium and SFS would be a big part of the bid. Which is against the rules of World Cup hosting where only one city can have two venues used. With Brisbane, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne and Perth we still need 3 more host cities...and does anyone really think that Skilled Stadium, Dairy Farmers, Aurora, Bluetongue or Energy Australia will be up to standard???

Further more pollies poison the well for their own gain. The Roar contemplated moving from Suncorp Stadium to Ballymore due to the costs of rental at Suncorp. And the state government (who runs Suncorp Stadium) threatened to remove the free public transport to and from games that helps us all get to these games (mainly because they built a 50,000 seat stadium with only 1000 car parks and enacted legislation preventing people from parking in the surrounding streets for a radius of 5 kilometres).

Guest Treepretender

I think you just need to get used to the fact that politicians/governments are going to involve themselves some way in the game.

I'm happy with the fact that they are going to challenge for the 2018 WC. Sure it is going to be a very difficult one to win as most would already say that England have it secured, but at least the government is giving the sport some backing.

Removing the free transport is simply a good business move. They don't want football moving away from Suncorp and the transport is part of the deal. Leave Suncorp and the deal ends, simple as that.

I would also add that the prospect of adding overseas teams will never happen. Fifa aren't happy with the Phoenix being involved and certainly will not sanction teams from anywhere else.

Originally posted by Treepretender:

Removing the free transport is simply a good business move. They don't want football moving away from Suncorp and the transport is part of the deal. Leave Suncorp and the deal ends, simple as that.

Yes, and that would be fine if it was a business, but is a government, supposedly run for the people and, while the bottom line is important, government at any level should never forget that we, the people, are their bosses...not the other way around. They have no right to blackmail a section of society. Further more that stadium, while impressive and a great venue, was built at a cost of hundreds of millions of dollars, which would have been better spent on hospitals and transport links. Brisbane hasn't had a new train line built in nigh on thirty years. And Brisbane has only 7 river crossings, three of which can't be used by cars at all. Although they are building a new one, duplicating the existing gateway bridge right beside it. I don't want to get in to the vagueries of Queensland politics, but this is what happens when there is a quasi-dictatorship by running a House of Reps without a Senate. Count yourself lucky everybody else, even if they all are over-paid gas bags.

BTW i thought the grand final was a rather entertaining affair from a non-partisan perspective.

Well, nice to see that the FFA is consistent when it comes to punishment re Vukovic and Griffiths. Was Vukovic fined any money does anyone know...I hate it when sports people get fined...it is unconstitutional and someone should fight it in court (like Henjak in the union). In any other job you can get sacked, but you can't lose wages for work already performed.

Guest Treepretender

Really? I thought the Grand Final was one of the most boring matches of the season. I watched all of it but could never shake the feeling that I'd be having more fun playing it out on FM. icon_wink.gif

As for Suncorp, like it or not, it is a business and needs to be run in a profitable manner. Free transport = more patrons. The Roar would need to decide whether a cheaper ground would outweigh the added fans who are tempted by non-existent transport fees.

The Gabba, which is the cricket and aussie rules ground, is run by a private trust. They still get the free public transport. Suncorp is owned by the government, hence the people. To use other services that government owns to effectively force a team to use "their" stadium is anti-competitive. If it was a private company doing it the ACCC would crack down on it in a flash. Government though is not a business. Would you accept only 75% of your drinking water being treated because it was more commercially viable that way? I doubt it, government shouldn't worry about cost. If cost was such a factor, they could've built a massive carpark next to the stadium and we all would have happily paid through the nose for privelge to drive to the game ($20, $30, $40 even) but because they set and plan the zones, they designed the stadium so that there would be no parking available. Hence they have forced people to use their public transport system around these stadium precincts...it is the only way to get to a game for 95% of the fans. To then use that as leverage in bargaining (i really mean blackmailing) a tenant is ridiculous. It is NOT a private business, it is a government department with a different logo and jobs for the boys toeing the party line. They are incredibly afraid that their white elephant will sit empty and unused for 6 months of the year. They have already broken promises that no concerts would be held there, just so it looks like it is getting some use. Again, it is a great stadium and one of the best i have ever been to including Anfield, Twickenham, SFS, WACA and all Brisbane stadiums. And yes, it is better than Ballymore, but they would rather bleed a fledgling team of money for short term expediency and then go on TV and say how much they are doing for soccer (yes, they still can't bring themselves to say football). The Gold Coast Galaxy will be in the same position when they play out of Skilled Stadium at Nerang next season. If the Roar need 20,000+ bums on seats to just cover the rent, then i hope the Galaxy can secure a better deal in their 25,000 capacity boutique ground.

You have to realise how Queensland operates. It is still a backwater, where we have no daylight saving because the farmers think that the cows won't know what time to produce their milk and their wives think the curtains will fade. It is the state where cops can still kill black fellas and get away with it, and even have the entire state's police force threaten to strike if said cop is punished. Brisbane is lovely, but we are held to ransom by the rest of the banana benders who unfortunately comprise half of the house of reps and hence must be appeased.

Archived