A-League Expansion

ruttiger_ruttiger

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by soupaman:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DS:

I cant even be bothered playing FM any more until another patch. FM08 sucks so much. You guys are lucky that didnt buy it. Its full of bugs.

Anyway got no time to make a good Aussie DB now cause I am making a computer game now.

Just out of curiousity what king of game are you making? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will be like New Star Soccer 2 but for F1 and not soccer.

I'm making an expansion Australian league using South Africa to swap and so far everything is going well but I need two team names.

One for a second team in Sydney and the other for a second team in Western Australia. These may have been mentioned before so if I end up stealing someone else's I hope they don't mind. icon_razz.gif

I'm willing to upload it (if I can) once I'm done if anyone wants it. Its for the 8.0.1 patch is anyone is wondering.

I have used several names down the many attempts i have made. I am currently using West Cost FC for a second WA team (with a swan in the logo), and currently have a team called West Sydney Sting (with a scorpion logo). i have in the past created a team called the Fremantle Fang (with a venomous snake in the logo). But any second sydney team would certainly be based out in the west so other suggestions could be Parramatta, Penrith, Western Suburbs like the rugby league teams.

Originally posted by ruttiger_ruttiger:

BP_Doosra - humour me and share some of your expansion team names and ideas...if you don't mind. I don't have fm08 so i can't use the db, but i am still curious.

Well I had the 8 A-League teams and then:

- Canberra Devils

- Fremantle Breakers

- Gold Coast Galaxy FC

- Geelong United

- Northern Thunder FC

- Parramatta Power

- Tasmania Rangers

- Wollongong Athletic

I also created a few awards and renamed a few of the existing awards to match real life (eg. the Johnny Warren Medal).

For the swap i just followed the guide on some other page (Dave's guide to league swaps/super leagues) and then just went with that.

I also changed the basic stadium capacities, stadium names, one or two of the kits, finances and training facilities.

I swapped it with the South African league which has no financial restriction but unfortunately it does have a limit of 5 foreigners but to overcome this i set the years to gain AUS nationality at 1.

in terms of reputation and league standard I used the Ukrainian and Belgian leagues as a guide as they are generally able to sign decent players so i made it slightly better than those two.

If u want any more info just ask.

Maybe thats a problem with the swap...I will look at it when i downloa it. I dont want to load south africa lol. As for awards you got the awards that were connected to the south african league and changed them to Australia and renamed them?

Also you might want to recreate the original A-League clubs because they will have no regens which sucks.

Maybe that is what is happening with the FFA Cup in my swap with South Korea, I remember testing with both leagues running on holiday to make sure they worked and the cup worked in that config. The only reason that i could see as to why it crashed was purely to do with the initials i changed NZ to. East Timor didn't work, Brunei Darusalem did...the logic behind which i have no idea.

I like the Tasmania Rangers name...better than the ubiquitous tigers or devils that have plagued teams from down there in all sports, well done, i considered using "bushrangers" for a regional vic team but thought it would clash with the Victoria Bushrangers cricket team. I had a good laugh at Wollongong Athletic because my ex gf was from Wollongong and she certainly wasn't athletic.

Just curious in regard to your nickname, are you a Murali fan? I'm always up for a good argument about who is the better cricketer, Warne or Murali...or maybe there is another forum for that kinda thing.

Just curious in regard to your nickname, are you a Murali fan? I'm always up for a good argument about who is the better cricketer, Warne or Murali...or maybe there is another forum for that kinda thing.

Big Murali fan but until SI creates Cricket Coach two-thousand and lots, I feel that here is very appropriate for a discussion. Who do you feel is better?

A thing that has happened to me in my swap (or even when just improving the league standard) is that Australia managers stop getting a look in at a lot of clubs with poeple like Kosmina, Farina, Postecoglou and Culina being unable to get a job once they leave their current posts (i don't care about Blieberg being unemployed because he deserves it). Instead a whole heap of foreigners come in and manage and it just doesn't seem quite right. Have you got that problem in your game.

I've had the same thing on occasion depending on how much i change the reputation but i guess thats because theres not very many Australian managers. In the game they are limited to current A-league managers as well as managers who have previously managed there, theres no Australian managers working overseas with a great reputation and so they have to turn to foreign managers who end up bringing in more foreigners or creating regens of their nationality.

I think they can't be seperated as bowlers, they are both brilliant and the best we are likely to see. However Warne has a pretty decent batting average and i always thought he should've been captain instead of Ponting (i think he is still undefeated as Australian captain in one day internationals after about 8 or 9 games). Murali knows his limitations with the bat and shows a good, positive attitude when batting. I am unsure on his captaincy skills however.

I don't know if it should come into it much, but i reckon Warney would be more fun to have a beer with too. Although, as a fan of south asian food, i might prefer to go out for dinner with Murali and have him order for me. Verdict - i just ever so slightly side with Warney because of his batting record.

point taken but on the topic of Warne as captain do you really think it was ever a permanent option. His off-field antics didn't exactly reflect Australian cricket in a good light but then again its a case of two completely different people. Shane Warne the incredible cricket player and sporting hero or Shane Warne the womanizing larrikin. I just don't think the Australian selectors were ever able to put aside what he did off-field despite the fact that on the field he was a completely different person (aside from a select few cases).

Australian cricket records - 52 beers to London by David Boon, 6 cigarettes in a one kilometre run by Doug Walters, Greg Chappel and Ian Botham in a fist fight, bowling underarm because it was in the rules but crying foul with bodyline which was also in the rules, and the son of the best cricketer ever so ashamed by his father that he changed his name from Bradman to Bradnam. There is also the fact that when you receive a baggy sky-blue cap, you get a green one in a paper bag (as it was put so well by David Hookes). Australian cricket might have a holier than thou attitude but is really quite blinded to it's own ineptitudes at times.

hey

i've been playing around with editor and i've swapped australia with Israel....

When I try to start the game it shuts down and comes up with a message saying access out of bounds

does anyone know what the problem could be?

please help and by the way im editing on FM06

Don't know for sure...however i had an array access out of bounds come up during a game. Although the game was still playable, i had a signed player who didn't appear in my squad list or in the player search. But when i linked to his name on the 'news' section he still came up as under contract to my club. So i guess it means that there is some kind of incongruency but it usually isn't fatal.

Don't know if any of that helps. But thought i would share.

sorry guys ive had a quick look through this thread and cant see it so..... is there a version of the expansion thats for FM08 8.0.0 where the league is based in Europe, i fancy ago at getting into the champions league. Cheers

My swap is for FM07. The idea behind mine is to keep everything as normal as possible and just increase the league, hence my preference to swap Asian leagues with Australia. I have played around with continent swapping however and it is unpredictable and crashes repeatedly. Just so you know what you're getting yourself in for.

If you swap the league with a European country's league the Australian clubs dont go into the European CL they still go to the Asian CL. If you want them in the European CL thats a whole different thing. You would have to change the continent of Australia to Europe and the continent of the country being swapped to Asia and maybe it will work but it could cause errors and things.

Hey, just wondering if anybody has any feedback on the Korea swap? Any thoughts on the standards of players and teams? Is it a little bit over the top or is that a good thing? Any strange results or happenings? For example i played up til 2012 and Central Coast finished last in the Oz-League and New Zealand won the Asian Cup in 2011.

That was an answer to a different forum i had open but for some reason it posted here...please disregard.

I am contemplating doing a 7.0.1 swap with just Northern Thunder and Gold Coast Galaxy. This way it keeps the salary cap, only problem is that bloody non-existent cup. Oh well, will have a dig over christmas.

Christmas prediction top 4 - Qld, CCM, New, Ade and the grand final to be Queensland v Adelaide at Suncorp where Queensland will win 4-2 in extra time and I will be sitting in the front row painted like an Oompa Loompa. Happy holidays.

To clarify this one will be as close to realistic as possible, hence the appeal of salary cap. Northern Thunder have an official logo

Check it out here

Gold Coast haven't released a logo but have said the club colours will be yellow and blue and white. Considering the presence of CCM, i would suggest that this would be a very similar colour scheme to the Gold Coast Titans NRL team.

Although the original Singapore swap was almost perfect in terms of size except for the promotion thing in 2009. But if i had the FC Brisbane Bid and all the other Aussie teams i have created like Northern Terriorians in the league below then hopefully Institute of Sport teams and state league teams wouldn't get promoted. I think it would work perfectly. Of course will require testing to ensure that the 12 team comp doesn't end up with 6 teams from Sydney, Melb and Bris. I guess this all ties in to the feedback question i asked a day or so back as well.

Apologies, i am a little verbose since i am full of christmas cheer (read as cheap vodka).

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, Israeli league doesnt work well for swaping in FM08. It as perfect in FM07. Problem with swapping in FM08 is you need to get rid of the real A-League clubs as well and replace them with new clubs because they dont get regens.

I dont have time to do a swap. I am waiting for someone to release a good swap in FM08.

slightly off point... i have just moved to brisbane, if i wanted to go and watch a queensland roar match can i just turn up and pay at the "door", and wheres the best place to sit if anyone has any experience of the suncorp.

Thanks

I have been to over 20 Queensland Roar games at Suncorp Stadium so i think i can answer this one. Yes, you can buy tickets on the day. The highest crowd we've had is 32000 which is still 20000 below capacity so no problem there, although if we make the finals i would definately pre-purchase as there are a lot of band wagon joiners in this town (you can tell who they are by the discarded Brisbane Lions flags on their fences). As for seating, it is the best rectangular stadium in australia. There is not a bad seat in the house, i have sat in the front row at half way, behind the goal and in the corner and could follow things pretty well. If you like to be further back then it isn't a problem either as you don't feel too far away from the action and there are two large replay screens at each end so that everyone can see the referees ineptitude. The hardest place to get a ticket is on the western stand, but that only matters for the afternoon games when the eastern stand can be a bit like a solarium in the Queensland sun. Also, after the kickoff nobody checks that you are in the right seat and people regularly move about to empty seats to improve their position. Note that the first 20 or so rows are not covered by the roof so if it is raining beware. Also note that you can only buy mid strength beer or really low quality spirits from the public bars. I recommend having a drink along Caxton St and then walking to the stadium (it takes 2 minutes maximum), of course none of that matters if you don't drink. There is also a very good kebab joint on Caxton St as well. And don't forget the free public transport to and from the stadium to the major hubs like Carindale, Eight Mile Plains/Mt Gravatt, Indooroopilly, Toombul and the City. The security guards are pretty good too, the only time they ever had a word to us was when we used the word **** in a chant, which in retrospect was probably fair enough. Hope you have a good time, and remember maroon is pronounced like "Marone".

I have been to over 20 Queensland Roar games at Suncorp Stadium so i think i can answer this one. Yes, you can buy tickets on the day. The highest crowd we've had is 32000 which is still 20000 below capacity so no problem there, although if we make the finals i would definately pre-purchase as there are a lot of band wagon joiners in this town (you can tell who they are by the discarded Brisbane Lions flags on their fences). As for seating, it is the best rectangular stadium in australia. There is not a bad seat in the house, i have sat in the front row at half way, behind the goal and in the corner and could follow things pretty well. If you like to be further back then it isn't a problem either as you don't feel too far away from the action and there are two large replay screens at each end so that everyone can see the referees ineptitude. The hardest place to get a ticket is on the western stand, but that only matters for the afternoon games when the eastern stand can be a bit like a solarium in the Queensland sun. Also, after the kickoff nobody checks that you are in the right seat and people regularly move about to empty seats to improve their position. Note that the first 20 or so rows are not covered by the roof so if it is raining beware. Also note that you can only buy mid strength beer or really low quality spirits from the public bars. I recommend having a drink along Caxton St and then walking to the stadium (it takes 2 minutes maximum), of course none of that matters if you don't drink. There is also a very good kebab joint on Caxton St as well. And don't forget the free public transport to and from the stadium to the major hubs like Carindale, Eight Mile Plains/Mt Gravatt, Indooroopilly, Toombul and the City. The security guards are pretty good too, the only time they ever had a word to us was when we used the word **** in a chant, which in retrospect was probably fair enough. Hope you have a good time, and remember maroon is pronounced like "Marone".

Thanks ruttiger i really appreciate all that information, once again thanks

Quicksta - Not through the method i discovered that is mentioned on the opening page (ahhh, it seems so long ago now). However you can do a league swap with another country by following Dave's League Swap Guide thread.

On page 4 there is a link for a swap made by BP_Doosra. (if you want to keep running 8.0.0 i know that in FM07 you can go into the xml file for the db and change the number next to "required version=" to get it to work on the previous non-patched version).

Beyond that if you do create your own, it will depend upon what you want. If you want a massive/traditional league structure swap with a Euro or Sth American league. If you want something more in line with what Australia has/will one day have then i would suggest a swap with Korea (whihc has no relegation from the second div) or Singapore (which relegates one team from 2009 onwards). The USA would be another option but there transfer system is so restrictive that it just becomes irritating after a while (must be a union thing over there or something, like how they protect their farmers with tariffs to prevent them being undercut on price). Although i think the US is the only other league with a salary cap (in the game atleast).

On another note, does anybody know if it is possible to edit referees abilities and whether it would have an obvious effect on gameplay. I just watched Matthew Breezes effort in the Roar v Victory game and it would be nice if that sort of ineptitude could be brought to FM for an extra dose of realism. The linesman in the A-League though are consistently terrible as well, i would love a few more dodgy offside calls in the game. Or is this related to the league standard or nation standard?

Just to clarify a rule, if a player handballs in the box, but it is not deliberate, can't the referee award an indirect free kick inside the box? Or is this an old rule that FIFA have since repealed, like the time honoured tradition of tackling from behind as long as you get the ball which is now not allowed apparently?

Matthew Breeze, according to wikipedia he loves sydney fc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Breeze

It basically says that he's a cheat who gave red cards to other teams just so Sydney could win.

It also mentions the only other ref that australia has produced in the history of football, Mark Shield who in all his glory (...) actually pre-empted the vandalism of his wikipedia page just over a week ago.

On the thing about accidental handballs i think that in box its a automatic penalty, the only thing i know you can get an indirect freekick in the box for is for a backpass that the keeper picks up, which could be considered a handball.

on the topic of breeze's ability on fm as well as that of other referees they never seem to make mistakes. looking at the data editor mr breeze has a CA(115), PA(135), rep(105), and attributes. the attributes are: allowing flow(7), discipline(13), important matches(15), pressure(9), refereeing(10), running line(10) and time keeping(10). It also has what competitions they ref.

Thanks for that BP. Much appreciated, my computer was busy doing other things and opening the editor would have created quite a RAM problem.

On another question, in FM08 are there any more lower league teams than in FM07? As i mentioned i am thinking of doing an incredibly realistic expansion by going back to Singapore as a swap db. As part of this i am going to add a lot of the lower league teams that are missing from this version of the game from Northern NSW, GOld Coast, North Queensland, Northern Territory etc. As well as all teams from the top three or so divisions of the Perth, Sydney, Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane comps. Also will add any other Sports Institutes. I will add real players from these teams but leave their abilities in the hands of the FM gods by leaving their stats at zero. Of course it will include all logos and jerseys similar to the state league jersey pack i created and included with the expansion db. May take a little while, but i kinda miss the rigours of playing in a competition where scouting is an art form and the bank balance doesn't dictate where you finish on the ladder. It would also be nice to play in front of an half-empty suncorp stadium again as IRL.

The only irritating part is i will have to start from scratch as my previous dbs are a pretty unrealistic (although i would like to think extremely fun).

I don't think that there's any more teams. Looking at the database you've got the A-League teams, the teams from each state league and then 32 teams in "Australian Lower Leagues".

Do you ever plan to get FM08 or have you been put off by all the angry forum members?

Archived