FM2008 Official Portsmouth Thread

Sheer Class

Just about to start a new Pompey game entitled "Project English" - my aim by the end of the 2nd season is to have an all english team and by the 4th season all english squad and try to stay in the Premiership.

Will keep you all posted

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just about to start a new Pompey game entitled "Project English" - my aim by the end of the 2nd season is to have an all english team and by the 4th season all english squad and try to stay in the Premiership.

Will keep you all posted

Good good, I tried that with Spurs once, at first the quality of your squad deteriates but slowly after that it improves.

First things done:

offered contract extensions to all english players to provide a base to build on, Defoe, Davis, Crouch etc have all signed

Made offers for: James Keene, Joleon Lescott, Nicky Shorey, OJ Koroma (couldnt resist)

Tried for a little while, needed the money quick to fund the Downing Purchase

Thinking about who else to sell now....

Youngsters? Wilshere, Baxter, Lansbury etc.

As a back up striker, Harewood? Depends on his price though.

Look at Championship level as well.

Now in Feb and am 8th in Prem, in Carling Cup Final

Bought in Onuaha, Lescott, Foster, Randall, Alnwick and Mattock so am very please with them, young english talent

Got rid of alot of deadwood inc Ashdown, Pamarot, Kanu, Mveumba & Little for around £1m each

Also sold Lassana Diarra to Spurs for £16.5m, didnt really want to but it was too good to turn down and he isnt part of the all english plan

Any suggestions for good english DMs?

Tried Barry and Muamba with no joy

@Jimboola - Im uploading the game asap. Im in my second season now, 12 matches played - 10 won 2 drawn so far.

@Guesty6 - Gavin McCann at Bolton, fantastic DM with 19+ tackling, 17+ passing etc. He is also cheap, around 2m but 29 years old, should last for 2 seasons.

GK - David James

DR: Lauren / Glen Johnson

DL: Jelle Van Damme

DC: Christopher Samba

DC: Sylvain Distin

DMC: Lassana Diarra / Demy de Zeeuw

MC: Suiley Muntari

MC: Rafael van der Vaart

ML: Niko Kranjcar

MR: Jermain Defoe

SC: Peter Crouch

van der Vaart as Playmaker and Peter Crouch as Target men

Sold 7-8 players first season, also Diarra in January collecting loads of money from Liverpool.

But I can see you are doing a English-project, and my team currently only has a 3-4 first team players.

You can download my tactic and give it a try here: http://www.albaniagroup.com/FM2008/4-1-4-1%20maddog.tac

Do not tweak it to much as I have failed myself doing it.

Played 14, won 10, drawn 2, lost 2

Joint top with Newcastle

Crouch got injured and I wasnt sure how I would do but Defoe has proven his worth as lone striker and scored more than last season already

Micah Richards has also scored 8 or 9 lol

Still going strong, Joint top with Newcastle still and about 10 games unbeaten (couple of draws)

Drew a conference team in the cup and put out a young team (sinclair, randall, sturridge, alnwick etc) and smashed them.

Also signed Wilshere for 500k, Pennant for 4.5mil and Giggs for free to cover Left Wing

Won The league, 5 points clear and also won the UEFA Cup, shocked!

MAnaged to get Chris Kirkland & Routledge on a Bosman, also got Huddlestone, O'Hara coming in

Mendes and Distin have been sold and I am getting offers for most of my players daily but luckily they all want to stay

Have 36million to spend for the 3rd season, hmmmm

Hey guys I just started up a Portsmouth save. I'm playing on the newest weegie, so I have Younes Kaboul and such. Here's what things are looking like so far.

Sold:

Sol Campbell to Everton for 2.3 m: Didn't want to really, but with all the other DC's I have he wasn't needed and seemed like a good price.

Richard Hughes to Leeds for 1m: Didn't need any more MC's.

Bought:

Jeremy Mathieu 3.6m: Because he's amazing :)

Christophe Jallet 3.5m: Probably going to start over Johnson

Preston Edwards 500k: Wanted a keeper for the future

Mark Randall 2.1m: Pretty high potential according to my scouts. Plus I've never had him before so I wanted to give him a try.

Results:

Community Shield:

Man U 1-0 Portsmouth

League:

Man U 1-3 Portsmouth(woooo revenge)

West Brom 1-3 Portsmouth

Portsmouth 0-1 Liverpool :( (I got beat down much worse than the score)

Portsmouth 3-1 Hull City (I'm seeing a trend)

Boro 2-2 Portsmouth (I came back to gain the lead only to see it lost at 85)

Pretty good start I'd say

I have just come into September 09 in my 3rd season. I am managing Portsmouth and I am doing a pretty decent job so far. In my first season I finished 4th in the league and won the Carling Cup while getting knocked out of the FA Cup 5th Round. In my 2nd season AC Milan beat me on away goals in the 3rd Qual Round to send me into the UEFA Cup which I won after a 90th min Defoe goal against Valencia in the final, I also retained the Carling Cup, came 2nd in the league and was runner up in the FA Cup to Man Utd, who did the treble. Now, I am into my 3rd season where I lost the Community Shield to Man Utd but beat them in the Super Cup 2-1. I have had a good start to the season, winning all 5 of my league games and the only goals I have conceded are against Man Utd (3 goals). The problems with Pompey are they have no real youth setup, average training facilities and a low capacity stadium up until 2011. I have asked the board to sort out the youth setup and the training facilities so I have done all I can for now.

As for my team, I use a 4-2-3-1 formation, two centre midfielders, two attacking wingers and a attacking midfielder playing behind a striker. My best starting 11 is as follows -

GK: Hugo Lloris

DR: Glen Johnson

DL: Antonio Lopez

DC: Joleon Lescott

DC: Naldo

MC: Lassana Diarra

MC: Sulley Muntari

AMR: John Utaka

AML: Stewart Downing

AMC: Raul Garcia

FC: Jermain Defoe

I have decent back up to my squad with Ben Foster covering the GK, Miguel Torres, Joe Mattock and Kaboul covering defence, to back up my midfield is Adam Johnson, Sotiris Ninis, Luis Jiminez and Danny Guthrie while I have Darren Bent as sub striker. In my reserves I have a few good players e.g. Dean Bouzanis, Corry Evans, Thiago, Adda Djeziri, John Bostock and some young Turk striker called Sercan.

My signings overall have been pretty good. In 07/08 I signed Mattock (£2.3m), Ninis (£4m), Downing (£10m), Adam Johnson (£4.5m) and Lescott (£8.5m) while selling Mvuemba (£1.5m), Sean Davis (£275k), Richard Duffy (£100k), Kanu (£1m), Richard Hughes (£525k) and Papa Bouba Diop (£1.5m).

In 08/09 I brought in Guthrie (£6m), Kaboul (£7m), Sercan (£1m), Raul Garcia (£20m), Naldo (£6.5m), Darren Bent (£12m), Antonio Lopez (£12m) and Yohann Pele (£6m) while selling Kranjcar (£30m), Lauren (£2m), Jamie Ashdown (£2m), Martin Cranie (£1.4m), Pamarot (Free), Pedro Mendes (£1m), Distin (£1.8m) and Djimi Traore (£500k).

That leaves me at 09/10 where I brought in Hugo Lloris and Ben Foster (both free) which allowed me to throw David James in my reserves to see out his contract and sell Yohann Pele for £5m. I then paid £8.5m for Luis Jiminez to back up Raul Garcia and I paid £5.25m for Miguel Torres to back up Glen Johnson. Sol Campbell, Primus and Hreidarrson's contract's expired and that concluded my transfer activity.

When I look at my team I think I need to improve my right midfield as Utaka isn't great, although he isn't too bad and I think I need another striker. While Defoe and Bent are good they get around 40 goals between them and are inconsistent at times.

After writing all this I have finally given you a in depth report of my team and success so far and have got to my general point - How can I move Portsmouth to the next level?

The media think I should be challenging for the league which is about right with my general team but where do you guys think I can improve my team? Does anybody know of any youth players I can get? I prefer having a generally British team but I am open to foreigners as well.

Oh, my manager profile stats are - 7 for Player/Club loyalty, 9 for Domestic Player Bias and everything else is at 14. How can I improve them stats? I have rejected media speculation to 5 jobs and my squad is quite English, with 4 English players at least starting every game.

Thanks for any help.

Shane_Byram

Your squad look pretty good to me. Contrary to your thinkining, imo you should concentrate of defence as your attack looks pretty good. The defence isnt all that great though. The players you have are all decent enough but dont go much beyond that. Here's my analysis:

GK - You're fine here for a long time with Lloris and Foster. Both excellent.

LB - Antonio Lopez is decent but you can do much, much better. But he can be an excellent backup if Mattock isnt ready yet. Try to bring in someone like Taye Taiwo, Alexandr Kolarov etc. If you can land Armand Traore, Emiliano Insua or Gareth Bale, nothing like it. If you want English, try Andrew Taylor from Boro.

RB - Johnson is decent at best. I actually think that Torres is better than him and should be starting. I would probably look to sell Johnson and buy a better player here. Torres is a very handy player as he can play LB as well so hang on to him. If you want English, Micah Richards is excellent at RB but he will cost you plenty. Have a look at Marvin Angulo, Mickael Chretien, Nedum Onuoha (if developed well) or Branislav Ivanovic.

CB - The two you have are again both decent but you could do better. Those two will make excellent backups for you though. If you want English, Steven Taylor is far better than Lescott. So maybe look to bring him in if you can. Also, see how much you can get guys like Fazio, Vidal, Nordtveit, Sakho etc for.

CM(d) - Diarra is class. One of the best players in your squad. Kaboul provides good cover here. So you should be ok. If you want an English DM however, Cattermole is brilliant.

That's the defensive side taken care of. I suggest you start your improvements from there. The attack can wait for now as the players you have are all pretty good. Ofcourse, you can improve on the players you have but I dont feel there's any great need to tbh. You can maybe replace Utaka with someone better like Belluschi, Rafinha, Fernandez etc if you wish. Or Barnes if you want English.

Having said all of that, here's a word of warning - changing so many players all at once can have adverse effects of your team as the new players will all need time to gel. Especially in defnece. The problem is that the youth you've bought are not all good enough to make the step up. If you had bought guys like Nordtveit, Sakho, Lansbury, Prudnikov I would have been more optimistic. So what you can try to do is buy/sell 2-3 players at most. Bring them and make sure you let them play in atleast 2-3 pre-season games. And on top of that, bring in as many youngsters who're on the brink of first-team action as you can. I cant recommend names because I have no idea who'll cost what but you can have a look at the usuals I guess. A few names:

Nordtveit

Sakho

Aquino

Sankhare

Abenzoar

Tales

Buonanotte

Piatti

Prudnikov

Lansbury

Simpson

Mancienne

You'll just have to sit and do a lot of scouting and see what you can get. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. Some of the players you named I haven't heard of before so I have decided to start again as Newcastle so I can sign some of them and this team have a better game, hopefully. In my old game, they had moved in big money transfers so I can't get them.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

ive decided to start my first game on the weedgie with pompy, crouchy and defoe just seem like a great strike partnership plus with lassana diarria at dmc i feel i can build a great squad around those 3. probably going to use polats 442 tactic again as i love it also maddognorway is that the formation you based your 4141 on as i made that exact same formation based on polats 442.

current areas i think i need to improve are the wings and dr/dc but my priority will be the wings, currently i'm thinking downing, barbosa, fernandez, sobis(4mil not a winger but for 4mil he's a must if hell come) and ronaldo on a free

anybody else playing on the weedgie

I just started my 2011-2012 season with Pompey. Last season was a disappointment as I finished the league as 7th and didn't do well in any cups. My major signing last season was Robin van Persie in January and he did very well.

This is my current squad. All my English players beside Rodgers are in reserves because they're just not good enough.

GK: Oscar Ustari (Dean Bouzanis)

DL: Guilherme (Fábio Aurélio)

DR: Mickaël Chretién (Paulo Cesar)

DC: Arturo Vidal (Paul Rodgers, Obama)

DC: Simon Kjaer (Mamadou Sakho, Gérson)

MC: Younousse Sankharé (Distin Zola)

AML: Robin van Persie (Charles N'Zogbia, Morten Gamst Pedersen)

AMR: Jefferson Farfan (Fatih Wimmer)

AMC: Andrey Arshavin (N'Zogbia)

AMC: Arnold Mvuemba

FC: André-Pierre Gignac (John Utaka)

Currently I have a small problem playing all those great attacking midfielders. N'Zogbia was first choice on the left wing before van Persie came in, but now I have to rotate those two on the left. Gamst Pedersen has been disappointing since I bough him in the second season, but I haven't been succesfull flogging him out.

I have accepted bids for N'Zogbia (£23M from Juventus and Real Madrid) but he always rejects them because they offer him too low wages. Really annoying.

I have currently played 5 league games this season and I'm second with 3 wins and 2 draws. Gignac and van Persie have been on fire but Gignac just got injured so I'm going to play RvP at the front with N'Zogbia on the left.

I am going to have my best season yet, with atleast one trophy from somewhere. My highest league finish has been 5th in 2009-2010 so I'm targeting the 4th place.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this idea will take off, but nevertheless, here we go. I thought for people entering into Pompey Management, they might like to know a little about the players, the general fans view etc. Some of the stats wont give these guys justice - Richard Hughes complaining about lack of first team football for example.

GK:

David James: England's No.1 as the chant usually goes. Still a brilliant goalkeeper, has done wonders for us, wouldn't change him for anyone at all. Still a number of years to go, and hopefully will keep performing. Hardly any slip-ups since he's been with us, and consistently very good.

Jamie Ashdown: Good back up. When we had problems with Alan Knight (Legend), Keily etc, he was there. He's solid, average Premiership keeper, and good as a backup. N ever gets chances really, but bides his time, and never complains.

Asmir Begovic: No. 1 Goalkeeper in the making. He looks to have good compsure and reflexes, and certainly does a good job wherever he's been. Needs a couple more seasons, then an introduction to the first team pretty soon to bring him on. Not a quick developer, but certainly good potential.

Defenders:

Sol Campbell: Aside from the chants he gets, his lack of pace and the odd nightmare game, he's solid for us, does very well, great influence for players round him, and certainly will have a bit of time left in him though. The idea going around though is that he'll play less and less, whilst playing an increasing part in training to pass on influence and experience. Cant cope with slow defenders, but as a 1st Team Choice, you cant ask for much more from the bloke, and not easily replaced.

Sylvain Distin: Excellent, really excellent player. Many years left in him, great going forward, very good influence on the club, and still without a French cap!!! Anyhow, alongside Sol, they clearly showed last season that they're a very hard DC pack to beat. Would certainly keep him, and cant think who I'd replace him wit. 1st Choice Centre Back for the club really.

Hermann Hreidarsson: Old player now, but can't compalin at all about him. Great going down the wing, loves to get forward, still knows exactly what to do, but can't imagine he'll stay in the game for much longer. Squad player a certain, and not a bad back up at the end of the day. As a centre back though, he's not that great, wants to get forward more than he should, and communication sometimes lacking in that respect.

Noe Pamarot: Squad player who can play across the whole of the back four. Doesn't get too many games for us, but certainly makes an impression when he does. Good going forward, anda fairly good defender, but not sure if he's going to keep up with us in the future. Possible seller, though I hate to admit it.

Glen Johnson: Right back, right winger, makes no difference. Glenaldinho is absolutely immense. Loves to get forward, deserves an England nose-in. Good at setting players up, good crossing, pace, technical skill. Surprised Chelski let him go, but thats football. Can't imagine anyone selling him straight off, for the money we'd get for him (2p in Harry's case) no-one we can replace him with on the same level.

Djimi Traore: *shudder* Enough said

Younes Kaboul: Good-ish player, but no ready yet by a long shot. Harry has been playing him in MC for a fair bit of the season, but no cut out for it. Under Adams, Sol and Distin, he should turn out well, but a back up for the moment.

Lauren: Falls over, not fast, no skill, get rid, end of

Armand Traore: Arsenal's brilliant prospect for the future. If he can be signed do so, great going forward, great winger, technical ability, better than Kranjcar on the elft, and gives us width.

Nadir Belhadj: Ronaldo's half-brother? Excellent, excellent skill, brilliant flair, buit can be caught out of position at times. Can be worked on quickly - possibly in FM - to raise his defensive side, but in the 3-5-2 formation, no-one else can be wanted really!!

Richard Duffy: Been with us ages, but dont know whats going on. Looked a prospect, but hasnt matured or got intot he first team. Certainly a seller

Midfield:

Lassana Diarra: Midfield dynamo totally. He bosses the midfield, excellent prospect, great on his feet, constantly running. Certainly he is the no.1 member of our midfield, and I wouldn't want anyone else there really. He's plugged the gap we desperately needed to fill, and can't even imagine him being sold.

Papa Bouba Diop: The wardrobe. About as fast as one, the size of one, but definately can't hit one. Squad player, not a RW as Harry has been playing him. 1st member of mdfield to sell really is chance arises.

Jerome Thomas: Not seen a lot of him. But he's English, and he can become good under Harry as a lot of players have done, not enough to write about him yet.

Arnold Mveumba: Great future talent, real poor-mans MC dream. He's got skill, a good pass and certainly one to look out for. Wouldn't be selling him, as he'll be great in years to come, and youth is something pompey miss.

Niko Kranjcar: Technically, theres noone else better in the side, but he doesnt track back enough or have the pace for a LW. Put him behind the strikers, or in midfield, ans see what the hype is about. But certainly, he's an excellent player, who is still coming into Harry's "where can I put him" phase. Free up midfield, put him in there with Diarra, and watch yourself salivate.

Richard Hughes:Pompey legend. Doesnt play many games, but never complains. Got him on a brilliant transfer for a low price years back, and noones looked back since. Will do a job, very handy in the midfield, will take one for the team. Don't sell IMHO, because loyalty + Work Rate + squad player mentalities dont come in a better package.

Glen Little: Injury prone, but enough experience to be a squad player. Much better than Utaka on the right, though his lack of speed maybe a problem at times. DOES track back though

Sean Davis: Beginning of last season, he was fantastic, brilliant, we loved him. Injuries and less opportunities did their job though and he faded a bit though. But certainly he has a lot you want from a MC. Can pass, good work rate, skill, can score...so keep him as a 1st choice, or a squad player. Until serious midfielders and youth are bought though, he'll be missed from the club for more than one reason.

John Utaka: Lazy, inconsistent, and doesnt use his talent at all. When he first joined, he was excellent, but faded and found games hard to come by. Sell him, recoup money, get someone with 2/3rds the ability at a younger age, who'll add more through growth, work rate and determination. Ok as a striker, but there are better for cheaper.

Marc Wilson: Our guy from Man Utd hasnt had many opportunities, but he's certainly a prospect, hes coming along nice and slowly, so certainly a good back up to have and one to grow.

Strikers:

Jermain Defoe: Goal machine, skill, class and already a favourite. He will get goals, we love him, and he looksto love the club - 'nuff said.

Peter Crouch: Finally started to score, but it didnt take too long tbh. Harry plays him wrong, but it's his second spell with us, love him already - though can be frustrating at times. Loyalty seems to be high though and we love that in a player.

David Nugent: Not sure whats going on, though dont like to see him wasted. Definate sell if you want him to play, because he's 4th choice here. Certainly tries though, and maybe good if injuries hit.

Kanu: The guy who came on a free, scored goals for fun, and won the FA cup for us. Just for that, I'd keep him till retirement - though "convincing" him to do so wouldnt be bad.

Ben Sahar: Not seen anything of him

Loans out:

Linvoy Primus: Absolute Legend by a mile. he deserves a statue at the club, and a staff position. Loyalty is too timid a word for this guy's character. He's still got it as a defender, and will give EVERYTHING.

Martin Cranie: Did well till a broken leg last season, but certainly he's shaken off the Scumampton ways and is one fopr the future. Limit opportunities at the moment, but with Sol, Linvoy And HH getting on, he'll find time.

Youth:

Jean-François Christophe: Going to be a great player in the midfield. Tall, strong anda good tackler. Knows his defensive side, but certainly needs to work on his mental side, can be rash at times, but definately one to watch.

Omar Koroma: Not sure whats going to happen, looks a great prospect, arrived quietly, then went on loan straight away, but looks to have done OK in 3 apps for Norwich.

Andréa Mbuyi-Mutombo: Looks ok, playing in Belgium at the moment, and has donea few good things over there - signs of potential.

Paris Cowan-Hall: Legendary already, he'll be a star in the future.....massive buy-out clause, dont lose him!!!!

Callum Reynolds: Bought in as one fo the great prospects, and kinda keeping up with it. Few seasons to go, but he'll be a good prospect.

Danijel Subotić: Looks to be a good lad. Not sure what to make of him though, keep an eye on him, and decide late.

Other notes:

Need youth players as a certain, ones to fill in as back up, they gain 1st team experience, and wont complain.

Replace Mendes in midfield, BIG loss for us.

RW is needed, Utaka is just awful, and little wont be here forever, Thomas is injury prone

Get Belhadj and Traore straight way, excellent on the Left.

Back up strikers would be good

More creativity in midfield needed

3-5-2 is good, so long as midfield is correctly organised, otherwise they'll have free passage through the centre

Kranjcar will be better through centre

Centre backs are a must for 1-2 seasons time

New Goalkeeper, either Young or as a back-up to cover for James in a couple of seasons.

Any other info, hope I can help. Anyone disagree with my assessments, mark it down, say it, always good to hear other things!

Cheers

Loyalski

Started as Pompey as they seemed like a good challenge. Only had £7m to play with in the summer but here is out first match.

Community Shield.

Really happy with the 2nd half performance and it seems we could really be a good outfit this year on the basis of that, we played some good football, and I have a basis to work with now the league is starting, should be a good season.

Archived