Delightful football - kick it like Arsenal

Did this tactic work for you?  

323 members have voted

1. 1. Did this tactic work for you?

• It works just great
    • I had mixed results with it
    • Sadly it was utter nonsense and didn't work at all

Ok here's a tactic that works very well for my Arsenal side. Actually I tried to implement Arsène Wengers new 4-3-3 style which allegedly was inspired by Barcelona under Guardiola.

What you can expect of this tactic:

• 1. beautiful football which is hopefully also quite succesfull
  • 2. to play similarly to the Arsenal side of this season
  • 3. to score quite a lot of goals

What you cannot expect:

• 1. to win every game
  • 2. to win every game 7:0
  • 3. it will probably be difficult for your striker to win the golden boot. Goals will most likely be contributed by many players (also some goals by the defenders)

And here is what it needs:

Since playing quick and short passes, preferably all of your players should have good stats at passing, of the ball, and decision. For all midfielders this is an absolute must. And give your team some time (at least 4 or 5 matches) to adapt the new style. Preferably do this in preseason

Here's a more detailed setup:

Gk: sweeper keeper

DC: the right dc is a ball playing defender. At least one should be good in the air and at least one should be pacey because you will be playing the offside trap.

DL/DR: nothing special. They can be switched to attacking when playing against weaker teams or when loosing (which of course you shouldn't be when using this tactic :)) or to support when you want to play more securely

MCL: He is your ball winning midfielder supporting the defense, so good tackling abilities needed

MCC: Your Playmaker

MCR: Supports the attack. Should be good at dribbling

Wingers: Driving inwards. They should be quick and good at dribbling (and crossing of course). If possible they should be told to switch positions. The one on the opposite side of the play should support your attacker and act as a second and third striker

FMC: a deep lying attacker. Should be good at keeping the ball. It could help if he has good heading stats though not absolutely necessary.

Against weaker teams and/or playing at home you can start using control. Otherwise use standard. When loosing you can try lowering time wasting. If this doesn't help try to play more directly (longer passes) but don't do that to early

On the pitch it looks like this:

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/4269/433wide.png

The result of the last match I played (sure that doesn't mean too much. Just one game against Levski. But then again it's Champions League :))

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/5055/beatinglevski.png

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7338/barcelonat.png

A video with some short scenes of my team playing. This should give you some impressions how it looks like (sorry for the low quality, it's about the best my system can do)

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2rfge51&s=4

Download:

4-3-3 wide outdated

4-3-3 wide v1.1 outdated

4-3-3 wide v1.2 outdated

Mind you, since the tactic requires technically skilled players it might not work well for weaker teams

************New v2.0 tactics set************

This brand new version gives you much more tactical flexibility. It's a set consisting of 4 different variants suitable for different situations (dependent on your opponents tactic, the progress of the game, the weather, and so on) while always retaining the overall style of play.

How to use it:

4-3-3 wide v2 This will probably be the standard variant (not to confuse with the mentality setting) you set up at the start of most games. High d-line, quick and short passes

4-3-3 wide v2 defensive Similar to the standard v2 but obviously more defensive. You can use this to start a game against stronger opponents. D-line not that high, passes a bit slower and longer

4-3-3 wide v2 rainy To start on a very wet and muddy pitch. Generally a bit slower passing play and longer passes. Generally slower and longer passing style

4-3-3 wide v2 rainy defensive Same as rainy but more defensive. deeper d-line, longer and slower passing style

This may be the most basic setup but there's more to it. The use of every different variant is not restricted to the one situation described above. They can serve different purposes and you can switch back and forth between them during the game as needed. Simple example: You have to protect a lead for the last few minutes against an opponent of similar strength. You might want to switch from v2 to v2 defensive.

Now on to more complex tweaks: As already noted, the versions can serve different purposes. The defensive variant can also be used to start a game against a weaker opponent if he uses very pacey strikers who could trouble a high d-line. Because you wouldn't wanna start defensively, change mentality, adjust passing style (quicker) and maybe set the wingers as wide strikers. Now you're ready to go. If you're facing an opponent who likes to play down the wings set your wide strikers back to wingers or even to MR/ML if they are very dangerous. On the other hand if your opponent is flooding the center with many players preventing your short passing style (or if your passes aren't connecting well for whatever reason) switch to rainy (longer passes!) and probably adjust tempo (a bit quicker) and passing focus (through the flanks) too. There are uncountable possibilities of using the set like this just depending on your vision, tactical knowledge, and knowledge of the opponent.

Some hints for most common situation:

to protect a lead: you might draw back the wide strikers to AMR/AML position, change mentality, switch to the defensive variant (I wouldn't do that too early if your facing a weaker opponent). If you want to play ultra defensively set the wingers back to MR/ML and/or change their role to support. In this case you should bring on a pacey striker since he will be pretty lost up front.

if you need to score you can: use v2, adjust mentality, use touchline shouts (get ball forward etc.), reduce time wasting, maybe switch to rainy (longer passes forward).

Some additional tipps: When your using the defensive variants you might want to play pacey wingers (and maybe also a quick striker if possible) for most effective counter attacking. Attention: if you substitute one of your DCs and switch between the tactics afterwards have a short look if they're still playing in the right position (stronger one as stopper). Sometimes their positions are changed automatically in this situation (don't know why).

In short:

Things you should tweak: use the different variants (also in-game), mentality, change the wingers between MR, AMR, and wide striker, sometimes timewasting. Additionally you can use touchline shouts.

The set is designed to give you a lot of tactical flexibility (just like Wenger IRL, he too does instruct his team differently depending on the opponent and the progress of the game, doesn't he?) while always retaining the Arsenal style of the game overall.

Download:

v2 4-3-3 wide set outdated

New Version 10.2

4-3-3 wide 10.2

So this is the new version for the 10.2 patch. At least for me it's working even better than before. Using it you will (hopefully) see a lot of comments like: Wonderfully crafted move, great entertainment, nice move, what a game, great goal from a fine move and so on (at least I did :)). The impact of the playmaker on the game should have slightly improved and the two CMs should get quite a lot of assists and score also a few.

If you have to hold on a lead you can switch on counter attacking and adjust teams mentality (standard, counter or even below). If you need to score untick time wasting and adjust teams mentality (control, attacking or overload).

Important player attributes haven't changed: look out for technical skills, passing above all. Finishing is important for the wingers (crossing not as much). And remember: a pacey striker works best, eventhough other type of players do work too

Here's a little bonus for you: a version for bad weather conditions when the pitch is very muddy. Short passing obviously is difficult to set up then. If you see that the ball isn't moving around well you can switch to this one. It's not as beautiful as the other version, but hey, when playing on mud it's just about winning, not about aesthetics

4-3-3 wide 10.2 mud

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gonna try it with Lyon

EDIT: 5 games played now. 4W and 1L. We seem to dominate most of the time but creating chances with my team is more difficult.

vs Le mans: 1-0 W

vs Valenciennes: 2-0 W

vs Stuttgart CLQ: 4-0 W

vs Auxerre: 0-1 L

vs Stuttgart CLQ: 2-1W

Phille try lowering time wasting by 2 or 3 notches. That could lead to more chances for your team but might also have a negative impact on possession. If you still encounter difficulties in creating chances after that I will check your setup in detail

Doolinho: hope you enjoy. Let me know how it goes

Very impressed results for newcastle united...

I only signed Martin Skacel, Abubakari Yakubu, Boudewijn Zenden and Mariano Tripodi as free agents. But i use them as backups for the first 11.

Newcastle v Newcastle Reserves 2 - 0 (Friendly)

Raith v Newcastle 2 - 2 (Friendly)

Partick Thistle v Newcastle 0 -3 (Friendly)

Quenn of Sth v Newcastle 0 -0 (Friendly)

Bury v Newcastle 1 - 4 (Friendly)

WBA v Newcasle 0 - 2 (League)

Newcastle v Reading 6 - 2 (League)

Newcastle v Sheffield Wen. 2 - 0 (League)

Crystal Palace v Newcastle 0 - 2 (League)

Bristol Rovers v Newcastle 1 - 3 (League Cup)

Newcastle v Leichester 2 - 1 (League)

All matches dominated easily. We had more possesion and clear cut chances. (also more woodwork stat:D)

At a glance, you may think the striker can't score enough but i use ameobi and he scores 8 goals in 5 matches. With further tweaking (especially long shots from your central midfielders maybe, because my midfielders haven't got long shot ability) you can adapt it easily for your team.

In this tactic i think defence is very solid. If your central defenders have yellow cards, try to reduce tackling. I had no problems like staying on the battlefield as 10 men....

I congratulate you my friend. You have made a good solid tactic. Keep up the good work.....

an interesting tactic, mate. but, this tactic seems to need a very good players in midfield (ok, we've got Cesc Fabregas). Ignacio Camacho and Annan both of them are good players with Annan is more a ball winner and Camacho is a skillful midfielder. What happen to Denilson, Song, Gallas and Almunia? are they not good enough for this tactic?

this looks a very intresting tactic but mistake me if im wrong you said the striker will not score very many goals if you are trying to play like arsenal or barca then the striker should score loads because van persie is bangin them in this season and last season eto scored over 30 goals.

monty: I'm still testing and trying to improve the tactic. Will keep you updated with new results and probably with an amended version of the tactic if necessary

septic: thanks for the feedback. I hope it keeps rolling for you

novicehack: please don't blame me for my transfer politics :) I've actually sold these players before I decided to test the tactic on this savegame. Denlison, Song and Gallas should fit easily into the tactic. And you don't have to have a Fabregas in your team for it to work, allthough it certainly helps :) But the midfielders should be as good at passing as possible. When I find the time I will test the tactic with a weak team as well to see how it goes. When complementing the team cleverly it might even work for weak teams

Burford: that's a just objection. If I'm not mistaken van Persie scored 7 goals in 10 matches in this season so far. Here's the screenshot of a savegame where he was even a bit better with my tactic :) Scored 11 in 10 appearances

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8995/vanpersiex.png

I've added this phrase mostly to avoid disappointment if your after the golden boot regularly. After all your playing your striker as a deep lying forward, not as a poacher supported by a target man. But of course, the striker should score regularly with this tactic

Anybody else tried this? It looks promissing. I'm a big fan of Arsenal style of playing IRL.

From what I've seen so far, the possesion is outstanding using this tactic, your 3 MC will dominate the midfield and average 40-60 passes completed per game. Also, the team passing completion stats hardly dropped between 75%. In one game, my team had 81% passing success. This is what I like the most about this tactic.

I also like the idea of scoring goals with all the members of my team. I hate the tactics when a striker scores 40-50 goals a season and the midfielders struggle to score. The playmaker (who has long shots often ticked), in my case Diego (18 for long shots) should probably score for fun from distance. Van der vaart is also perfect for that position. Cassano in the AML position is deadly.

I will try it further with my Juve team: Buffon - Rafinha, Demichelis, Chiellini, Grosso - Felipe Melo, Diego, Sissoko (Marchisio) - Camoranessi, Cassano - Iaquinta (Amauri)

I did some minor tweeking (just some slight ameliorations) and have just uploaded it. V1.1 is now ready for download :) The testing is going on, will keep you updated. In addition I hope to be able to upload a short video of my team playing to give you some impressions of the tactic

So this tactic should work with the original Arsenal squad? I haven't made any signings except for Palombo as a defensive midfielder.

Besides, every tactic I use seems to work really well in the first 8-10 games, and then stops working completely. But I'll give this tactic a try shortly and see how it works.

So this tactic should work with the original Arsenal squad? I haven't made any signings except for Palombo as a defensive midfielder.

Besides, every tactic I use seems to work really well in the first 8-10 games, and then stops working completely. But I'll give this tactic a try shortly and see how it works.

You can also try a tactic that some others use to great effect... provided you have the right players. I use this tactic with my Arsenal team.

Hammer Head Tactic

SaadHabib have you already tried my tactic? If so, I'd be interested in knowing how it worked :)

I've tried a few games now with your tactic. So far my results haven't been great. These are my results:

Lost 0-1 at home to Sunderland

Drew 1-1 away to Tottenham

Drew 1-1 away to Real Madrid (Van Persie missed a penalty)

Won 3-0 at home to Burnley

Drew 0-0 away to Bolton

I have 8 more games left in the season so I'll probably keep this tactic to give my team time to gel with it. I'll let you know how I did. :)

thinking of giving this a go, one little question however.

why isnt the defensive midfielder in the middle? doesnt having him on the left like that mean he is sometimes not in position when theres an attacking coming down your team's right flank?

sup with insane time wasting.. having 80~posesions.. and whole game feels like you get just opposition keymoments..

any exact reason why counter attack is off?

play offside? does that even works in fm.. since offside is beyond broken in match engine.. playing it feels bit like suicide.. does it actually works

thinking of giving this a go, one little question however.

why isnt the defensive midfielder in the middle? doesnt having him on the left like that mean he is sometimes not in position when theres an attacking coming down your team's right flank?

Yeah, I also noticed that. Seems it's been changed for v 1.1 for some reason...?

@D Force: I set the defensive MC to the left first because thats the way Wenger is playing IRL right now. It's changed in v1.1 though since in Footman it seems to work better when he is playing midpitch (otherwise I spotted some problems when the opponent was attacking through their left wing)

I'm working on a major overhaul right now (also testing if counter attack is working), especially looking into the defense setup. So stay tuned

Nice, beating ManUtd away :) The defense seems to be alot more solid with the new version I'm working on. Possession high as it is the hallmark of this tactic. But what I liked the most were the 4 clearcut chances (one on one against van der Saar. Too bad Salvio and van Persie did waste them all) my team created in the late phase while ManU just had some long shots and corners. So defending a lead seems to work very well. This was played with V1.2 beta so to say :) Will do some more testing and if it goes well I can upload V1.2 later on this day

manustatsb.th.png

manu2.th.png

The left MC (supporting role) should be your playmaker.

Testing on V1.2 ongoing. I did some testing with counter ticked on as Smikis asked to and can not recommend doing this. It's somewhat paradoxical anyway to wait for counter attacks if you're having a lot more possession than your opponent. And switching from defending to attack already happens rather quickly because of the quick passing style.

V1.2 is close now. Just some further testing. And a new picture (beating Barçelona9

barcelonat.th.png

wonderful going forward but leaky at the back. i dont know if its the game or the settings for the back 4 but they get penetrated like a hot knife through butter. hope ur next version addresses this and then you might be onto somthing...

plus, what about changing the striker to deep lying attack instead of support. because i think he comes to deep and isnt in the box to finish that much.

That's exactly what I'm working on right now :) However, it's quite tricky to set up this year and even more so because I have to make it fit to the rest of the tactic. Give me some more time to elaborate and test it. In any case improving the defense is my main focus in V1.2

That's exactly what I'm working on right now :) However, it's quite tricky to set up this year and even more so because I have to make it fit to the rest of the tactic. Give me some more time to elaborate and test it. In any case improving the defense is my main focus in V1.2

Perhaps it will be useful to move a Ball Winning Mid to the DM position.

Try comparing your tactic with Vodu Caos 442.

He also uses offside and a high def line, however it is more efficient defensively. But not too efficient and also less responsive in terms of (defensive) changes during the match.

Thanks for all the feedback and inputs guys, I considered all of them and tested the most. And now here comes what I believe to be a major improvement in defensive stability: 4-3-3 wide v1.2. Downloadlink in post 1. Attackingwise there is not much of a change, just some small tweaks. Something important: Play your stronger and taller DC as the Central defender (stopper) and your tecnically more skilled and more intelligent DC as the ball playing (cover). As an example: with Arsenal, Senderos would obviously be your DCl (stopper), Vermaelen your DCr (cover).

Two games played with v1.2 that went well :)

portsmouth.th.png Having a headstart on this one. 3-0 after 14 mins

mancity.th.png Giving ManCity a hard time

mancity2.th.png Protecting the lead

Now I'm keen on your feedback and on further inputs. If anybody has some advice on an effective setup for corners I'd love to implement them as well

My team are struggeling, so I give it a try with NAC Breda (dutch premier division)

Draw AWAY 2-2 HSV euro cup (we in 12th minute with 10 men, they score the 2-2 in 83th minute)

Win AWAY 2-1 AZ alkmaar

Win AWAY 3-0 Roda JC

Draw HOME 3-3 Vitesse (1-3 at half time)

Lose AWAY 1-2 AEK euro cup (lot of injuries)

Win Home 1-0 Spakenburg (lower league) national cup

Lose AWAY 1-2 VVV (we in 4th minute a red card)

Win HOME 3-2 AEK euro cup

Draw HOME 1-1 WillemII

Win HOME 3-1 RKC

Win HOME 2-1 NEC

Draw AWAY 1-1 FC Utrecht

Lose AWAY 1-2 Galatasaray euro cup

Lose HOME 0-1 Sparta

Solid tac, best so far for average teams

thanks

First game Vs rangers Away

4 CCC and most of the possession but RVP just couldn't beat the keeper it was just one of those games, impressive performance though i'm sure as they get used to playing 4-3-3 again results will come because my team have be settled in a 4-1-2-1-2

yeah its lookin alot more solid and creatin alot of chances. u feel like it will do the job for you type thing now. it takes time to get to maximum, especially away so bare with it.

Jaggerbug: do you leave the wide strikers as inside forwards when you brought them into the striker pos?

Once you are leading by that much you should turn down the tempo, i find thats when you really kill the opponent with possession play because of the high time wasting involved in the tactic

BTW this tactic uses time wasting in a very interesting way that i never thought of using in such a way, the team play short quick passing, but with the high time wasting it seems the team seem to pick and choose their moments very well instead of forcing the play and giving the ball away, great work...

Attagy I like to start games against weaker teams with Control and see how it goes. Against others I start with standard.

Kingpin: wow I'm surprised you realised what I was aiming at with the timewasting-setting. You surely had a close look at the tactic.

BTW to play a bit slower to protect a lead is a good idea

Will give this a try tonight in my Toulouse save.

Toulouse have a strong midfield with Didot, Sissoko & Capoue & Gignac up front being supported by two wingers in Mansare & Braaten. The only signing I can see me needing is a CB with a bit of pace to play as cover.

Will let you know how it turns out.

For corner routines the best I have come across so far is in the Notts County 442 tactic on here. Have a look at it for some pointers.

Archived