American English

PS. I would assume American Football is called football rather than handball as it is similar (loosely) to Rugby, which has a proper name of Rugby Football. A lot of Rugby fans would refer to Rugby as football and football as soccer. So it isn't just Aericans.

Both football and rugby started as games where you kicked the ball mainly, but could run with the ball in your hands. You couldn't pick the ball off the ground, but you catch it if kicked towards you. When the split happened rugby decided to have a more handling game and football, based on kicking. I think it should have been called American Rugby myself.

And there is a sport called American Handball. An American version of a type of handball. Practically the same idea as squash without the rackets, or raquettes, however you spell it.

gpl propagandist

View Profile WWW Personal Message (Offline)

Ze drem vil finali kum tru

« on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

As I recall it was posted year(s?) ago on the Yahoo Groups site, but here's again. Still funny

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by z" and "w" by v.

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

Originally posted by VonBlade:

gpl propagandist

View Profile WWW Personal Message (Offline)

Ze drem vil finali kum tru

« on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:49 PM »

As I recall it was posted year(s?) ago on the Yahoo Groups site, but here's again. Still funny

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will resieve this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgrasful, and they would go.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by z" and "w" by v.

During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubls or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer.

Ze drem vil finali kum tru.

Oh dear. Taxi (cabicon_wink.gif) for VonBlade!

Originally posted by gunnerfan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have come up with the conclusion that English is only correctly spoken by those who don't use any slang

Right. The English never use slang. icon_rolleyes.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And when we do, it's only because we're changing the correct usage, and you're still wrong. :p

Or something? :p

English ppl use a lot of slang.

But i have to say, i´m brazilian so i don´t really care which english is the proper or correct language. But i refuse to use the word "soccer". The name is football. The game is called football, because it is played with the feet, and the great man who invented it named it football. Football is a game where ppl show their skills with their feet, and not a bunch of huge men holding a ball that is not actually a ball, tackling each other with extreme violence and gore, ultimately leading to the loss of their teeth.

90 % of the world acknowledges that football is football, and call it as it is meant to be called, as it is the world's most popular sport. So even if i happen to be in america, i will never say "soccer", i'm pretty sure that anyone knows, or should know, that this game is called football.

that's fine and dandy, but if you refer to the game as "football" here in america, you'll come off as very pretentious.

it's personal choice though, my choice is to adapt. i know it as soccer, but if i'm in a region where the game is known as football, that's what i'll call it.

Originally posted by pedrobrazil:

English ppl use a lot of slang.

But i have to say, i´m brazilian so i don´t really care which english is the proper or correct language. But i refuse to use the word "soccer". The name is football. The game is called football, because it is played with the feet, and the great man who invented it named it football. Football is a game where ppl show their skills with their feet, and not a bunch of huge men holding a ball that is not actually a ball, tackling each other with extreme violence and gore, ultimately leading to the loss of their teeth.

90 % of the world acknowledges that football is football, and call it as it is meant to be called, as it is the world's most popular sport. So even if i happen to be in america, i will never say "soccer", i'm pretty sure that anyone knows, or should know, that this game is called football.

Proper name of the game is Association Football. All of the 'footballs' share the same root, as others have noted. Gaelic football is probably the closest to the historical game. There are people who think the 'foot' derives from the fact it was not played on horseback, and has nothing to do with the foot skills involved.

The key break was between Association and Rugby football. The North American games all developed away at about the same time, but 100 years ago there was a lot more kicking of the ball in the rules.

Just be glad you aren't Australian - they have 4 different games called football.

The subject of hippy language reminds me of a joke - sorry everyone, i could not pass this one up:

'What do you do if you see a space man'

'Park your car in it dude' lol

Not me. Though I do try and use the historical words of my native Sussex. Tis terrific there, innit!

And they're trying to destroy the beautiful language I've tried so hard to be perfick at!

Do these changes only happen in the new version of incorrect English aka "EuroEnglish" or will they be changed for us(England I mean, of course they'll change it in Ireland. Anything to make things easier to say. Which I noticed they only pronounce things the way it's spelt)

Archived