What on earth is wrong with sweepers?

I've skimmed a few posts here (simply because I didn't want to get drain into the what exactly is a Sweeper/Libero debate) but I was wondering if this issue is the same when you have the SW and CB on different lines. Basically:

---CB------

-------SW--

The reason I bring this up is that I can understand why the coding could be messed up with with the CB and the SW along the same Axis. When the Sweeper moves up he essentially takes the place of the CB, the game then sees two players potentially occupying the same space at the same time. It could be that the advanced wanderings is the game's ME attempt to compensate for this anomaly.

Bestie.

I've skimmed a few posts here (simply because I didn't want to get drain into the what exactly is a Sweeper/Libero debate) but I was wondering if this issue is the same when you have the SW and CB on different lines. Basically:

---CB------

-------SW--

The reason I bring this up is that I can understand why the coding could be messed up with with the CB and the SW along the same Axis. When the Sweeper moves up he essentially takes the place of the CB, the game then sees two players potentially occupying the same space at the same time. It could be that the advanced wanderings is the game's ME attempt to compensate for this anomaly.

Bestie.

I will try this, though it is not a solution and may just provide a lazy fix for SI rather than coding sweeper behviour. Even if you do put him there, it isn't going to make him behave like a sweeper: dropping back and letting defenders deal with long passes and not running up through the defense. Basically a sweeper should have the following effects:

1. More emphasis on this one player for organising "his" defense in front of him: therefore if the player has high leadership/teamwork/concentration skills the man marking of the team should imrpove.

2. Defending should be less random and more organised: people have a Role more in this system. The CB should always go for the long headers.

3. Less through balls against as a result of high defensive line.

4. If you don't play a DMC: a lot of long shots against.

5. Greater control of possesion and the players "looking" for this sweeper when looking to change the play or "start again".

---CB------

-------SW--

Bestie.

Have played 3 at the back all along, and whether the central guy is a DC or SW, he still charges up. No matter what role you play him in, Sweeper defending, Covering, anything, with Ultra-defensive mentality and no Creative Freedom, he STILL charges up.

The game seems unable to recognise the sweeper as a proper position with its own intricacies, but it's more than that. Even if it's not a SW, but a DC, with abovementioned settings playing as covering defender, the guy's urge to run upwards at the worst moments is impossible to suppress.

Here is the real reason why sweepers/middle defenders behave the way they do: it is the quick and easy way to create a throughpass opportunity. Slipshod, half-done coding is what it is.

I remember having a save game in Russia on FM2006, and some teams in the Russian 1st Division used a sweeper with 1 centre back. I used to love playing these teams, because the exact problem shown in the screenshots in this thread kept occuring, and I created loads of chances and usually won easily.

To me the sweeper position doesn't look to be coded very well in game, as irl playing that sort of defence atleast one of your full backs would play more centrally to provide additional cover in the middle. That's not really possible to do in FM though as you can't really make a player play halfway between a full back and a centre back.

As for the sweeper/libero in modern football, at the highest level it doesn't really exist any more. I remember Baresi and Sammer playing, but there's not really been a player who has played a definitive sweeper since then. Teams may play with one centre back more withdrawn, and players like Lucio do bring the ball out of defence and launch attacks, but these players aren't sweepers in the classical way.

Archived