[FM09] Best Of British.

WH

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Mid Season 2011/12

November

Home Vs. Aberystwyth

An incredible performance saw Sole end the game with 4 goals in a game entirely dominated by the Druids. The goals came in the 8th, 27tn, 72nd and 88th minutes.

Result 4-0 Win

Home Vs. Welshpool

A late Welshpool penalty was enough to gain a share of the points. Pringle had previously headed the Druids into a 9th minute lead.

Result 1-1 Draw

Away Vs. Llanelli Welsh Premier League Cup (Semi Final 1st Leg)

A rampant away performance from the Druids stunned the Cup holders in this match. Connor and Sole both scored 2 goals, one in each half as Llanelli were thumped by the Druids.

Result 4-0 Win

Away Vs. Connah's Quay

The Home team had no reply for this fine performance from the Druids. Hopkins giving The Druids a 25th minute lead and Connor completed the scoring in the 36th minute.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs. Caersws

Connor scored early in this evenly contested match. Only 2 minutes had passed when the Druids went in front. Just after half time the home side were level and that's how the game finished.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs. Llanelli Welsh Premier League Cup (Semi Final 2nd Leg)

The Druids played a possession game against a very attacking Llanelli side desperate to get back into this tie. Ogden scored in the 3rd minute to make a difficult task almost impossible for the visitors. Llanelli equalised before Ogden scored again in the 53rd minute to finish them off. A late away goal meant nothing as the Druids Progress.

Result 2-2 Draw (Agg 6-2)

Home Vs. Neath

Neath had more of this game than the score line suggested. The Druids were lethal in front of goal, Ogden and Tolly Both Scoring twice to take the points.

Result 4-0 Win

Home Vs. TNS

Poor finishing cost the Druids dearly in a game they should have gained at least a point. TNS took their chances and the points.

Result 2-0 Loss

December

Away Vs. Caernafon

Another even game but this time The Druids took their chances well. Sole (3 mins) Francis (26 mins) and Askey (67 mins) were the scorers. The home sides goal came in the 52nd minute.

Result 3-2 Win

Away Vs. Llangefi

The Druids performed well despite being down to 10 men when Francis saw red in the 28th minute. Askey gave them the lead but the home side levelled 12 minutes before the final whistle.

Result 1-1 Draw

Away Vs. Airbus

A game dominated by The Druids, Udoji scored early but the Druids failed to convert from countless other chances. Airbus punished them in the 77th minute to take an undeserved point.

Result 1-1 Draw

Away Vs. Port Talbot

It was the druids turn to gain an undeserved result. Port Talbot had mush more of the game but saw the Druids take their chances and the points. Hopkins scored 10 minutes before half time. Sole then scored straight after the break and in injury time. The away team had scored in the 61st minute.

Result 3-1 Win

January

Home Vs. Porthmadog

The away team failed to register a shot on target in a game that only came alive in the second half. Harris, (46th minute) Tolly (49th minute)and Shannon (65th minute) Scoring the goals.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Llanelli

The Druids managed to hold on in a game that saw Francis sent off in the second half. Llanelli piled players forward but The Druids held firm.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs. Newtown

Newtown didn't manage a shot in this non contest. The Druids scored 2 in the second half after missing several good chances. Francis scored at a corner in the 47th minute and Noone curled a freekick into the top corner in the 74th.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs. Haverfordwest

Scott Mitchell scored in the 81st minute in a game the Druids didn't deserve to win.

Result 1-0 Win

Home Vs. Carmarthen

The Druids were unable to convert one of their many chances against a team who were happy to sit back and play for the draw.

Result 0-0 Draw

Form For This Period

Played 17

Won 9

Drawn 7

Lost 1

I forgot to take the league table shot. I'll add Feb. update separately and add an end of Feb. table on that update.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February

Home Vs Connah's Quay

Mitchell and Noone scored in a good display from The Druids, Mitchell scored from 20 yards in the 54th Minute and Noone ran past 3 defenders before firing into the roof of the net in the 62nd minute.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Aberystwyth

An even game saw the Druids go a goal down after 25 minutes. Noone gave them a share of the points with a stunning freekick in the 39th minute.

Result 1-1 Draw

Away Vs Bangor City

A poor performance resulted in a loss after 2 late goals gave the Druids no chance to nick a point.

Result 0-2 Loss

Home Vs Rhyl

Ogdens 17th and 38th minute goals gave the Druids a good lead before Tolleys own goal made for a nervous 2nd half. Sole calmed things down with his 79th minute spot kick.

Result 3-1 Win

Form For This Period

Played 4

Won 2

Drawn 1

Lost 1

End Of February Table

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Season 2011/12 Run in

March

Away Vs TNS

This game was controlled by the Druids. TNS had a player sent off when Ogden was brought down when through on goal. Despite The Druids constant pressure it took until the 76th minute to score. Ogden raced through once again and this time tucked it away for the win.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs Welshpool

A frustrating match for the Druids. Welshpool took the lead in the 26th minute and despite more possession for the druids they failed to make any decent chances. A rare league loss for the druids meant the top 3 teams were now all on the same points total.

Result 1-0 Loss

Home Vs Caersws

The Druids dominated this game from start to finish. Sole scored a 24th minute goal but it took until the second minute of injury time to make sure of the win when Harris scored from a low shot.

Result 2-0 win

Away Vs Port Talbot

Michael Noone's 47th minute goal was cancelled out in the 82nd minute in this evenly contested game.

Result 1-1 Draw

April

Away Vs Neath

The Druids failed to make their chances count in this dull affair.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs Llangefni

Askey scored in the 41st minute to equalise the away teams early goal. A 3rd draw on the trot was not good enough for the Druids, the league title looks beyond them now.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs Caernarfon

The Druids once again went behind to an early goal. This time they managed to push forward and get the win with goals coming from Hopkins and O'Brien.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs Airbus

A draw in the final Game was a fair result after another poor Druids performance. Askey scored in the 17th minute after the Druids hade once again conceded an early goal.

Result 1-1 Draw

The League Cup Final

Neutral Vs Bangor City

Having already lost to Bangor twice this season, this would prove to be a tricky contest. Askey scored in the 4th minute to give the druids the lead. Despite lots of pressure the druids could not find a second goal to finish the game off. Luckily the defence held firm to fend off a late Bangor surge. The Druids win the Welsh League Cup

Result 1-0 Win

Form For This Period

Played 9

Won 4

Drawn 4

Lost 1

End Of Season Table

End Of Season Review 2011/12

The Board were pleased with our performance this season and delighted with the League Cup win. They were unhappy about the performance in the Welsh cup and feel we should have made it further into the competition.

I am delighted to have won the league cup and finally got a winners trophy in the Cabinet. I won 1 manager of the month award this season and finished 3rd in manager of the year. The league performance was good but the drop off at the end which saw us draw too many games and throw away a chance at the league title was very annoying. We did qualify for the Euro Cup Qualifying round again. I'm not sure yet whether I will see out the last year of my contract or leave in the summer for a new Challenge.

Stats

Top Rated Player Michael Noone 7.30

Top Goal scorer Giuseppe Sole 18

Most Assists Francis Kelly 19

Most Man of Match Michael Noone 6

Stats for Full Squad

Finances

We received £1.5k prize money for our finishing position in the league and £11.5k for our cup run. Gate receipts and match day income were down by a huge amount as the average attendance also dropped back down to 250. We seemed to be losing money while there was a board take over attempt during the season which eventually fell through. We did qualify for Euro cup qualifiers again so there is £64k or more to come. The balance at the end of the season is £178k

Playing Squad

The contracts of Shannon and Evans will run out this summer. Shannon's age seems to be getting to him and Evans has been displaced by youth team star Pringle (Who is now in the Welsh U21 set up). With the u19 rule I cant afford to have a 25 year old defender as back up. I have no current plans to add to the squad as I'm not sure if I will stay.

Goodbye to the Druids

03 June 2012

Despite there not being many jobs available at the moment I decided to leave. I thought it would give the Druids the most time possible to get a manager in and plan for the new season.

I didn't expect this news flash.

Wayne Howards departure from Cefn Druids has sparked a mass exodus within the clubs backroom team. No fewer than 3 staff members decided to walk following Howard's recent departure.

The staff members deciding to leave are Mark Clyde (assistant manager), Joe Little (Coach) and GK Coach Paul Jones.

Within a week They Appointed Former Port Talbot Manager Richard Wellens as the new manager. I wish him luck and hope the Druids remain one of the top sides.

Performance

I was pleased with how things went with the Druids. I managed to save them from relegation and turn them into a top 3 side. We made it a big 3 in the Welsh Premier league rather than the big 2 there had been for many years. We were competing for the top spot with 2 teams that had wage budgets of 4 times as much as our own budget so we did quite well to compete with them. Despite only winning one trophy, I think my time there has to be classed as a success.

Season              League              Position             Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cefn Druids.

2008/09      Welsh Premier League          16th              Avoided Relegation
2009/10      Welsh Premier League          3rd
2010/11      Welsh Premier League          2nd               League Cup Runners up
2011/12      Welsh Premier League          3rd               League Cup Wunners.

New Job

After 7 weeks out of work and having lost out on the Dundalk job (Irish First Division) to former Liverpool legend John Aldridge. (I can't blame them for choosing him over me) I apply for the Glentoran Job and I am successful.

Glentoran Play in the Northern Irish Premier Division. Their ground is called the Oval and holds 12000 fans. Glentoran are one of the most successful clubs in N.Ireland boasting a total of 109 competition wins, Including 26 top division titles. Their nickname is The Glens and they are fierce rivals with Linfield

This is a very high profile job in N.Ireland. In my press conference they said it was a big step up in my managerial career and asked if the nerves will be getting to me. I think not.

Meeting with the Chairman

The chairman sets the target for the season as challenge for the league title and reach the final of the N.Irish cup. The transfer budget is £1.3 Million and the wage budget is £16k Per week. The club have £2.2 million in the bank. I have no doubts that the chairman is expecting instant results as they finished second last season and yet here I am as the new manager.

Squad Plans

There looks to be a fairly good squad but I will try to add some good quality players where I can. My asistant tells me the weakest part of the team is defence so I will try to sure that up first. As usual I will concentrate on younger players who will have a fairly long term future with the club. But will add some experience where I think we need it.

Thanks Terry, Glad your enjoying it.

I worry that some of those blocks of text will put people off. But when you get reading it it dosn't take that long to read. :)

Transfers and squad list coming soon.

THE NEW SIGNINGS

Free transfers unless listed otherwise.

Defensive Players

Richard Tait

Position

22 year old former Nottingham Forest Fullback. Should be able to compete for the rightback slot from the start.

Best Attributes Stamina, Marking and determination

Wage £550 Per Week

Mark Hillier

Position D(L/C)

18 year old former Newcastle youth team player. Can play either left back or in the centre. Has not played a senior game yet but was highly recommended by my scouts as he has lots of potential.

Best Attributes Team work, Corners and Free Kicks.

Wage £375 Per Week

Dominic Shimmin

Position D(R/C)

24 year old former Walsall defender. Has made over 90 starts in English League football. Is a centre back but can play right back if required.

Best Attributes Determination, Strength and Tackling

Wage £1000 Per Week

Danny Pringle

Position

17 year old defender cost £30k from my former club Cefn Druids. After having him looked at by my new scouts it looks like he should be good enough to be part of my first team squad.

Best Attributes Jumping, Strength and Heading

Wage £400 Per Week

Midfield Players

Matty Mainwaring

Position M(L/C)

22 Year old former Hartlepool midfielder. He has played over 70 games at quite a good level. Central midfielder who is just as happy to play on the left

Best Attributes Workrate, Flair and Determination.

Wage £1000 Per Week

Michael Noone

Position M(R/C)

22 Year old is the second player signed from my old club Cefn Druids. He is a player who has made almost 100 league appearances for me and cost just £20k. Is a central midfielder but can also play right .

Best Attributes Natural fitness, Freekick taking and Flair

Wage £375 Per Week

Strikers

Liam Head

Position SC

20 year old former southend striker. Has no proven scoring record but my scouts were impressed with him. Blackpool once paid £240k to buy him from Port Vale while he was still a teenager.

Best Attributes Workrate, Strength and Flair.

Wage £875 Per Week

From the current squad 19 year old Dennis English seems to stand out as one of the best players. He can play Attacking Midfield or as a striker. He is attracting interest from Q.P.R and Southampton so i extended his contract. If he leaves we will get some cash for him.

Also 31 year old striker Gary Hamilton has scored an incredible 210 league goals in his career.

I also released my staff and recruited my own staff, which included former assistant manager Mark Clyde who left the Druids at the same time as me.

We are currently £1k under the weekly wage budget.

FULL SQUAD

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Start of 2012/13 Season

August

Home Vs Crusaders

The Perfect start to the season for The Glens. English was on target in the 17th minute and Akins made it 2 in the 64th minute of a game entirely controlled by the home side.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Portadown

After some first half sparring the Glens took control of the match in the second half. Shimmin's header in the 60th minute was quickly followed by a penalty from Hamilton in the 63rd. The Glens were comfortable despite Ward receiving a straight red in the 71st minute.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Chimney Corner Antrim Cup 1st Round

Two goals from Head secured the win for Glentoran. The first was on the stroke of half time. The second in the 52nd minute as the Glens kept their 3rd clean sheet on the bounce.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Carrick

Mainwaring didn't panic as he put the Glens in front within 2 minutes. Some good defending from both teams kept the score at 1-0 until the 78th minute when Hamilton broke through to score. The same man was on hand to score 6 minutes later to wrap things up.

Result 3-0 Win

September

Away Vs Dungannon

English scored a stunning volley in the 30th minute to Give Glentoran the lead. The home side were level in the 50th minute. The home side hade more of this game so the Glens were happy with the point.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs Colraine

The Glens were always in control of this game. Hamilton has given them a first half lead with a well taken goal in the 34th minute. Hillier scored a curling free kick in the 73rd minute to guarantee the points. Colraine scored deep into injury time, but it was too late to make a difference.

Result 2-1 Win

Home Vs Derry City All Ireland Cup Group A

A professional performance saw the Glens brush aside the Irish Premier league side. Cave's 14th minute goal gave them them a first half lead. A long range shot from Noone in the 68th minute found the top corner before Hamilton completed the scoring with an 84th minute tap in.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs Carrick Antrim Cup Quarter Final

The Glens suffered their first loss despite having more of the game than the home side. Carrick scored in the 54th minute and despite creating several chances Glentoran could not get back into the game.

Result 1-0 Loss

Away Vs Bohemians All Ireland Cup Group A

Bohemians went into an early lead within 10 minutes. The Glens quickly managed to turn the scoreline around and went in at half time with a 2-1 lead. English scored in the 15th minute and a Bohemians defender could only turn a cross into his own net for the second just before the break. The Glens controlled possession in the 2nd half and saw the game out. Despite some long range efforts from the home team.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs Newry

Despite near total domination by the Glens they only managed to score once. Cave finished off an excellent move on the stroke of half time.

Result 1-0 Win

October

Home Vs Distillery

Another game Glentoran controlled. Akins 42nd minute goal opened the scoring and English finished it off in the 68th minute. The away team struggled to get the ball and didn't manage a shot on target in the match.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Cork City All Ireland Cup Semi Final

Gary Hamiltons goal gave the Glens the lead in the 7th minute in this evenly contested game. With both sides creating chances a goal was bound to come and it was cork who levelled the scores in the 64th minute. The game continued to be end to end action throughout normal time and extra time. The teams were so evenly matched in needed a penalty shoot out to pick the winner. The Glens made it through to the final.

Result 1-1 (5-4 Pens) Win

Neutral Vs Derry City All Ireland Cup Final

The Glens were behind within 15 minutes in another close encounter. With the final looking lost the Glens pushed forward one more time and managed to score in the last minute. English bundled home after a goal line scramble. Into extra time and English scored again with 105 minutes on the clock. The Glens held on to win the All Ireland Cup.

Result 2-1 Win

Home Vs Glenavon

A comfortable game For Glentoran, Caves 29th minute goal was enough to take the points.

Result 1-0 Win

Home Vs Linfield

English scored in the 14th minute to give the Glens a lead. Despite some late pressure from their Rivals they managed to hold on to take the win.

Result 1-0 Win

Home Vs Colraine League Cup 3rd Round Leg 1

Colraine scored from their only shot in the match in the 15th minute. The Glens huffed and puffed and eventually found an equaliser in the 69th minute when English ran through to score.

Result 1-1 Drawn

My first trophey in the bag for Glentoran. That should keep the fans and board happy for a while.

Form For This Period

Played 16

Won 13

Drawn 2

Lost 1

Table For End Of October

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Mid Season 2012/13

November

Away Vs. Cliftonville

Despite Glentorans dominance the home side held firm in defence to claim a well deserved point.

Result 0-0 Draw

Away Vs. Colraine League Cup 3rd round 2nd leg.

Simpson gave the Glens the perfect start with his 3rd minute strike. English made it an uphill struggle for Colraine when he scored a second in the 41st minute. A goal for the home side gave them hope in the 60th minute. But as they pushed on Hamilton scored on the counter attack to wrap things up in the 87th minute.

Result 3-1 win (4-2 agg)

Home Vs. Portadown

The Glens were firing on all cylinders as they thrashed portadown. English (8,66) and Hamilton (24,39) both scored twice before Noone scored from long range in the 70th minute. The away team had scored in the 33rd minute.

Result 5-1 Win

Away Vs. Ballymeana

The home side had done their homework and managed to hold the Glens at bay until the 89th minute when Shimmin rose in the box to head in from Hilleirs corner.

Result 1-0 Win

December

Away Vs. Colraine

The home side were ahead within seconds of the start and added a second goal just before half time. The Glens couldn't make their 2nd half pressure count and that's how the game finished.

Result 2-0 Loss

Away Vs. Queens University League Cup Quarter Final Leg 1

The Glens dominated this game from the start but it took until the 73rd minute to take the lead. McCabe scored after English's shot had cannoned back off the bar.

Result 1-0 win

Home Vs. Dungannon

The Glens were the better team but were unable to make their chances count.

Result 0-0 Draw

Away Vs. Crusaders

An even game where chances were few and far between.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs. Carrick

Hamilton's 87th minute goal was enough to earn all 3 points as the visitors failed to have a shot in this one sided encounter.

Result 1-0 Win

Home Vs. Queens University League Cup Quarter Final Leg 2

Head scored within 10 minutes to give the Glens the perfect start.The visitors had equalised in the 42nd minute only for Akins to restore the lead one minute later. Queens equalised once more in the 47th minute before Cave finished the tie off in the 83rd minute.

Result 3-2 win (4-2 Agg)

Away Vs. Distillery

Another game where the Glens made the chances but failed to convert them.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs. Newry

McCabe struck in the 15th minute as The Glens eased to victory with the visitors unable to test the home keeper.

Result 1-0 Win

January

THE NEW SIGNINGS

Midfield Players

Martin Edge

Position DM, M©

17 Year old midfielder signed from Merthyr for £10k. He has played 50 games in the English blue square south. Has been added to strengthen the central midfield options.

Best Attributes Pace, Agility and Work Rate.

Wage £160 Per Week

Phillip Lowry

Position AM©

23 Year old signed from First Division side Institute for £20k. He is a player who has made 160 league appearances in N.Irish league football and has N.irish premier league experience. Also brought in to strengthen the midfield options.

Best Attributes Determination, Acceleration and Pace

Wage £350 Per Week

Home Vs. Ballymena

The Glens once again failed to make chances count and were punished as the visitors scored from their only chances in the game. Both goals coming in the second half.

Result 0-2 Loss

Away Vs. Linfield

A goal in each half for Mainwaring was enough for Glentoren to take the points in a game where they embarrassed their fierce rivals.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs. Cliftonville

The Glens scored 3 late goals to record a victory over the defending league champions. Lowry scored in the 78th and 88th Minute. Simpson had headed home in the 86th.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Ballymena Irish Cup 5th round.

Having recently beaten the Glens in the league Ballymena knocked them out of the cup. Having wasted countless chances the Glens were punished as the home side scored with just 2 minutes of extra time left to play.

Result 0-1 Loss

Home Vs. Crusaders

A great start allowed Glentoran to race into a 3 goal lead. Hamilton scored in the 3rd minute. Noone scored a long range shot in the 22nd and Shimmin came round to the back post to head home Hillier's deep corner.

Result 3-2 win

Away Vs. Portadown

The Glens cruised to victory with a fine display. Shimmin scored an 8th minute header from a freekick and a superb volley when Hillier's corner was only partly cleared.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs. Distillery League Cup Semi Final

Hillier beat 3 defenders before rounding the keeper to score a wonder goal after 2 minutes. Akins added a second 2 minutes into first half stoppage time. The away team scored in the 66th minute but were not good enough to break down an impressive Glens defence to score again.

Result 2-1 Win

Home Vs. Colraine

Akins twice gave the Glens the lead, first in the 64th minute. Then after Colraine scored in the 72nd minute he popped up to score the winner in the 85th minute.

Result 2-1 win

Away Vs. Dungannon

The home side were the better side in this match but found themselves a goal down after 18 minutes when Scullion scored from a tight angle. Dungannon were level 10 minutes later from the penalty spot. The home side created several second half chances but were unable to add to their score.

Result 1-1 Draw

Form For This Period

Played 21

Won 13

Drawn 5

Lost 3

Table For End Of Janurary

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Season 12/13 Run in

February

Away Vs Carrick

Evenly contested game. Defences came out on top.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs Distillery

The Glens were in control of this match. Scullion scored in the 28th minute. Then Head doubled the lead 2 minutes later. Distillery scored a consolation in the 84th minute.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs Glenavon

Heads 22nd minute goal was all that separated the sides in an even game.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs Portadown All Ireland Cup Group B

Glentoran started their defence of the cup with a win. Cave scored in the 11th minute to take an early lead. The home side levelled in the 49th minute but English was on hand to apply the finish to a slick move by the Glens.

Result 2-1 Win

March

Neutral Vs Linfield League Cup Final

Head scored in the 17th and 70th minutes to give the Glens the win and their second trophy of the season.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Newry

Despite a spirited display from the bottom side the Glens ran out comfortable winners. An own goal in the tenth minute and Pringles goal after a scramble in the box on 73 mins was enough to gain all 3 points.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Linfield

All the goals came in the first half in this match between Rivals. English scored in the 33rd minute. Linfield equalised in the 41st. English's 43rd minute goal and Noones 45th minute thunderbolt wrapped up the points.

Result 3-1 Win

Away Vs Cliftonville

A fine first half display saw the Glens win with ease. Goals from Edge,(4) Fordyce(36) and English(40) secured the points.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Glenavon

A 30th minute strike from Edge and an own goal in the 47th minute were enough to see the Glens stroll to victory.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs Ballymena

The Glens were outplayed in this game and were a goal down after 2 minutes against the quick starting home side. Tafazolli Climbed highest to nod Hilliers freekick in off the post in the 35th minute. The Glens held on as the home side applied the pressure.

Result 1-1 Draw.

At this point the league split in half so the top 6 would play each other and the bottom 6 would do the same

April

Home Vs Ballymena

The Glens Over came their bogey team this time. It was an even game but the Glens took their chances. English scored in the 35th minute then Hamilton scored 2 in quick succession in the 51st and 54th minute to secure a convincing win.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Newry All Ireland Cup Group B

A superb first half display shocked the visitors and won the game for the Glens. Goals came from Hamilton,(20) English(25) and Scullion in the 34th minute. Newry scored a conciliation in the 57th.

Result 3-1 Win

Away Vs Crusaders

A ninth minute goal was enough to condemn the Glens to a rare defeat in the League.

Result 1-0 Loss

Home Vs Linfield

Scullion scored in the 76th minute to salvage a point for the Glens. Linfield had taken the lead five minutes before.

Result 1-1 Draw

Away Vs Carrick

Carrick had more of the game but Hamilton ran through on goal in the 30th minute and scored what turned out to be the winner.

Result 1-0 Win

May

Home Vs Dungannon

A solid display in the last game of the season saw the Glens run out 2-0 winners with goals coming from Hamilton in the 45th and cave in the 77th minute.

Result 2-0 Win

Glentoran win the league by a long way to complete a treble of silverware this season.

Form For This Period

Played 16

Won 12

Drawn 3

Lost 1

End Of Season Table

End Of Season Review 2012/13

The Board were pleased with the performance this season. They were delighted to have won the league and said winning the all Ireland cup was a truly monumental occasion. They were also happy to have won the league cup. They were however disappointed that we went out so early in the N.Irish Cup.

I am delighted with winning my first league title and the fact we completed a treble of trophies was great. I also won the manager of the year award this season. I am looking forward to my first time in the champions league qualifying rounds although I don't expect to go too far in the competition.

Stats

Top Rated Player Mainwaring 7.15

Top Goal scorer English 17

Most Assists Hillier 17

Most Man of Match Mainwaring 4

Stats for Full Squad

Former Clubs

Cefn Druids had a good season finishing 3rd in the league and winning the Welsh Cup. With several players contracts running out this summer it will give the new manager a chance to build his own team.

Finances

We received £50k prize money for winning the league and a total of £530k for our cup runs/successes. As usual Gate receipts and match day income made up most of the income for the club. The club currently has £2.2m in the bank. We can expect at least another £91k for playing in the Qualifying rounds of the champions league.

Playing Squad

There are several contracts running out in the summer so I will let some players go to free up money for wages. I intend to strengthen the wide midfield areas and add a young Keeper to act as backup for the first team. I may also add another young striker as Hamilton will turn 33 next season and there is interest in English so I don't know if I will be able to hang on to him if they start to unsettle him.

Pre season Update 2013/14

I meet with the Chairman and he tells me that the minimum expectation is to win the League. To achieve this the board will be allowing me a transfer budget of £1.3m and a wage budget of £16,690. The media predict we will win it again and the bookies have made us favourites for the league.

Squad Plans

I cleared out 12 players. Most of them were reserves or youth team players that my coaches didn't think would make the grade. I did get rid of 3 first team players from last year. Sub keeper Byrne, defender Simpson and Midfielder McCabe. The Later went to Notts County for £20k. Young striker Sean Smith was loaned out for the season to a lower league N.Irish side. So far I have been able to fend off offers for English from Burnley. I will be looking for young players on free transfers first but will spend some cash if required.

Friendly Matches

I managed to fit 4 friendlies in around my European exploits(which I will report on separately soon) I won 2 against N.irish first division clubs then beat Fc United of Manchester and lost to Chelsea Reserves at home. I left my Assistant in charge for the friendly games. The Chelsea reserve fixture was the only home friendly but was not a money spinner.

THE NEW SIGNINGS 2013/14

All free transfers unless listed otherwise

Defensive Players

Ken Gronnow

Position GK

19 Year old former Blackburn Rovers youth team player. Has not played a professional game yet. He is tall and strong and my assistant says he has the potential to be quite special. He will come into the first team as cover for Morris who is fighting to be the N.Ireland National team GK.

Best Attributes Aerial Ability, Reflexes and Pace

Wage £300 per week

Andrew McComb

Position

16 Year old defender from N.Ireland makes Glentoran his first professional club. Coaches report that he has the potential to be better than our current first team defenders. Will probably only be a fringe player this season.

Best Attributes Jumping, Determination and Team work

Wage £110 per week

Midfield Players

Obi

Position DM,AM(RLC)

22 Year old Nigerian Midfielder.Spent 5 years with Inter Milan so has Italian 2nd Nationality. Has not played a professional club game but was deemed good enough to play 16 times for the Nigerian u21 side. Can play literally anywhere in midfield, I will be using him primarily as a winger.

Best Attributes Flair, Natural Fitness and Anticipation.

Wage £675 per week

Stephen Gleeson

Position AM(RLC)

25 Year old Midfielder last with Bristol City. Has only played 30 games so far in his career. I expect him to be one of my first choice wingers this season.

Best Attributes Stamina, Passing and Creativity.

Wage £240 per week

Strikers

Joshua King

Position SC

21 Year old Norwegian Striker has not played a first team game but spent 5 years at Manchester United has had some great coaches to learn from. My coaches say he could potentially be as good as our top strikers. Will be useful to have in the squad in case English gets poached of Hamiltons age catches up with him.

Best Attributes Acceleration, Pace and Flair.

Wage £450 per week

Staff Changes

With my Physio walking out at the end of his contract I decided to look around for a replacement. Injuries had been a problem last season so I wanted to get someone good to fill the position. I managed to find the Physio for the English national team Gary Lewin working in the English Blue square south for Dover. I offered him the job and paid Dover £18k for his services. He has top rating for Physiotherapy and also has excellent man management skills. He will work part time for me and continue to work for the English national side.

The wage budget is set at £16.6k and we are currently spending £14.4k so there is room for movement if we require any extra players in January

FULL SQUAD

European Matches 2013/14 Season

Champions League

Home Vs Dinamo Tbilisi First Qualifying Round Leg 1

The Glens were huge underdogs for this match.It came as a total surprise to their Georgian visitors when they came out and attacked from the start. A shot from Akins in off the post gave them a well deserved lead in the 24th minute. With the Glens well and truly ontop they continued to pile forward and got their reward with Gleesons 61st minute goal to record a huge shock result and totally outplayed the favorites.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Dinamo Tbilisi First Qualifying Round Leg 2

The second leg was a much more even game. The Glens matched their hosts and took the lead in the 44th minute through English. Tbibisi pushed forward and scored in the 88th minute but it was too little too late. The Glens are in the next round.

Result 1-1 Draw (3-1 Agg win)

Away Vs B Jerusalem Second Qualifying Round Leg 1

Despite a fairly even first half the Israeli side showed why they were huge favourites as they took every chance they had in the first half to go in 5-0 up. An improvement for the second half saw the Glens get one back through Gleeson in the 78th minute. What will be most frustrating fir the Glens is that they had most of the possession and created 4 times as many chances than their hosts.

Result 5-1 Loss

Home Vs B Jerusalem Second Qualifying Round Leg 2

The Glens once again dominated against the favourites. King races through to score in the 44th minute and a goal 3 minutes from the end from English were enough for the Glens to record a shock victory. If only they hadn't fallen apart in the first half of the first leg.

Result 2-0 Win (5-3 Agg Loss)

Euro Cup

After dropping out of the champions league qualifiers in the 2nd qualifying round it gave the Glens a chance in the 4th qualifying round of the Euro cup. What a draw it turned out to be. The mighty Valencia would be their opposition.

Away Vs Valencia Fourth Qualifying Round Leg 1

With the Glens standing no chance of getting a result i sent them out to enjoy themselves. Valencia scored 2 goals in each half to record a comfortable win. The Glens were certainly no embarrassed and created a few chances of their own.

Result 4-0 Loss

Home Vs Valencia Fourth Qualifying Round Leg 2

The Glens put in a fine performance infront of their home fans. They created more chances and had more possession than their illustrious opponents. But with quality players such as David Villa on show stood little chance of getting any kind of positive result. Valencia won by 3 goals to 0.

Result 3-0 loss (7-0 agg loss)

I was delighted to have reached the 2nd qualifying round of the champions league. The win over Tbilisi was a great result and we outplayed B. Jerusalem so could have proceeded further. The game against Valencia was a forgone conclusion before we kicked a ball but it was nice to play against such a big club. The European matches generated over £500k through Prize money and gate receipts.

Form For This Period

Played 6

Won 2

Drawn 1

Lost 3

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Start of 2013/14 Season

August

Away Vs Queens University

The Glens were quickly out of the blocks and overpowered the newly promoted side. 3 goals within 15 minutes provides a stunning start to the game. Tafazolli,(4) Gleeson,(7) and King (14) were the scorers. A poor start to the first half saw Queens score 2 headers from corners within 3 minutes of the restart to pull themselves back into the game. Suddenly buzzing with confidence queens pushed forward and scored an equaliser in the 79th minute. King's low strike found the net 1 minute into injury time to give the Glens the win.

Result 4-3 Win

Home Vs Chimney Corner Antrim Cup 1st Round

The Glens controlled this game against their lower league opponent. Akins scored in the 11th minute to open the scoring. Second half goals from Noone(51) and Tafazolli(79) secured the win. The Visitors did score late on but the game was already won.

Result 3-1 Win

September

Home Vs Portadown All Ireland Cup Group B

Goal from Head (39) Shimmin (58) were enough for the Glens to triumph in an evenly matched game.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Ballymena Antrim Cup Qtr Final

Despite Having 5 players away on International duty The Glens managed to put in a good performance to see off Ballymena. Lowry (32) Mainwaring (80) Hamilton (90+) were the goal scorers as the Glens dominated possession. Ballymena had pulled a goal back with a minute to go.

Result 3-1 Win

Away Vs Bangor

Despite near total domination The Glens wereUnable to make chances pay against Bangors defensive set up.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs Dungannon

Another even game but a quick start and accurate finishing made sure of a comfortable scoreline. Obi(4) King(15) Fordyce (48) Were on target for the Glens. The Visitors scored a late consolation goal.

Result 3-1 Win

Away Vs Newry All Ireland Cup Group B

The Glens fielded a Weakened team as they had already qualified for the semi final. Obi (35) was the scorer in an entertaining game. Tafazolli had scored an own goal in the 20th minute.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs Portadown All Ireland Cup Semi-Final

The Glens were always in control. Goals from Obi (63) and English (90+3) saw them into the final.

Result2-0 Win

October

Home Vs Linfield

2 minutes before half time, Hilliers Corner found the head of shimmin and his near post flick deceived everyone and went in off the back post. The home side couldn't get hold of the ball to mount any sort of comeback.

Result 1-0 win

Neutral Vs Bohemians All Ireland Cup Final

Bohemians were in rampant attacking mood straight from the kick off with lots of pressure and they were ahead within 5 minutes. English equalised in the 21st minute. The game was end to end action but stayed level through the second half and extra time and it went to pens. Bohemians were more decisive and the Glens lost 4-2.

Result 1-1 (4-2 Pens)loss

Neutral Vs Cliftonville Antrim Cup Semi Final

A faultless performance from the Glens saw them comfortably into the final. Hillier curled a superb freekick home in the 8th minute. Gleeson netted in the 21st minute to make it 2. Hillier scored another cracking freekick in the 66th to finish cliftonville off.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Cliftonville

Fordyce (19) and Shimmin (37) scored as The Glens convincingly collected the points.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Bangor Northern Irish League Cup

Goals from Fordyce (1) English (32) and Hillier(76) helped the Glens to a comfortable first leg win.

Result 3-0 Win

Form For This Period

Played 13

Won 10

Drawn 2

Lost 1

Table For End Of October

Good work WH. An impressive first season there at Glentoran, who despite being probably the strongest team in Northern Ireland, it still takes some hard work to actually take them to the league title. :thup:

Shame about Europe but the draws weren't very favourable really was they? Maybe next year you can have a bit of luck and make the group stages.

Just out of interest, how did Cefn Duids do in their first season without you?

Thanks Raware, Sorry to see your fm09 save on hold. What problems were you having?

Was amazed that we could win the league by such a margin last season. No one else could get consistant results and we kept picking up the points. I was quite pleased with the euro matches, we didn't go far but i didn't expect to do any better to be honest.

Here is the Info on the Druids. (next season should be the real test with many players contracts coming to an end)

Former Clubs

Cefn Druids had a good season finishing 3rd in the league and winning the Welsh Cup. With several players contracts running out this summer it will give the new manager a chance to build his own team.

Thanks Raware, Sorry to see your fm09 save on hold. What problems were you having?

Was amazed that we could win the league by such a margin last season. No one else could get consistant results and we kept picking up the points. I was quite pleased with the euro matches, we didn't go far but i didn't expect to do any better to be honest.

Here is the Info on the Druids. (next season should be the real test with many players contracts coming to an end)

Sorry mate, i must've been blind to not see the post you made about Cefn. :o

Yeah, i was disappointed at having to put my FM09 save on hold. I was having problems with the 'injury bug'. I still firmly believe there IS definitely a problem with the injuries, i was averaging 60+ injuries a season and finally just got sick and tired of it, so went back to FM08 which is a lot more enjoyable...imo of course.

It's not that hard to Miss. I think Most people skim read and pick out the bits they are really interested in.

I know what you mean about the injuries. i seem to have between 4 and 6 players out at any one time. It can be annoying. I just can't seem to get into FM08 again, Not since the final patch for 09 anyway.

I'm about halfway through your new thread but trying to catch up when i can.

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Mid Season 2013/14

November

Away Vs. Ballymena

The Glens were on top for most of the game Shimmin (18) scored the only goal of the first half. The Home side equalised in the 81st minute from a corner. English got the winner 6 minutes into stoppage time after King hit the bar.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs. Glenavon

Poor finishing cost The Glens dearly in an even game. Glenavon took their chances to win this one with goals in the 4th and 56th minute. Gleeson scored in injury time but it was too late for the Glens.

Result 2-1 Loss

Neutral Vs. Linfield Antrim Cup Final

The Glens destroyed their rivals in this final. Linfield faced wave after wave of Glentoran attacks for the duration of the game. Obi scored a stunning first half hat-trick with goals in the 5th, 16th and 33rd minute. 2 more goals from Hamilton (20) and (66) finished the demolition job. The Glens lift the Antrim Cup.

Result 5-0 Win

Home Vs. Queens University

The Glens were once again dominant and always dangerous when going forward. Obi (34) Akins(45) and Lowry (64) Were the goal scorers.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Bangor League Cup 3rd Round Leg 2

The home side scored 2 goals from corners within the first 10 minutes. Akins pulled one back in the 40th minute. Bangor scored again as they pushed to even the aggregate score but the Glens held on.

Result 3-1 Loss (4-3 agg Win)

Away Vs. Crusaders

Another goal conceded from a corner. Mainwaing's low shot after a great run in the 69th minute was enough to earn The Glens a point.

Result 1-1 Draw.

December

Home Vs. Linfield League Cup Qtr Final Leg 1

The Glens went a goal down on the stroke of half time. A better second half rewarded them with an equaliser, Obi was the scorer after 73 minutes.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs. Ballymena

First half goals from Obi(16) and Hillier from the penalty spot(39) gave the Glens a good start. King scored in the 60th minute to wrap things up in a game dominated by the Glens.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Carrick

The Glens took the lead twice in this game but each time they scored Carrick equalised within a minute. English (45) and Head(62) scored the goals for the Glens.

Result 2-2 Draw.

Home Vs. Bangor

Liam Heads 13th minute goal was enough to guarantee a win in a game the Glens controlled.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs. Linfield League Cup Qtr Final Leg 2

The Glens improved to thump Linfield in the second leg. A good start saw goals from Cave (2), Head (9) and English (13). Linfield pulled one back in the 68th minute. Tafazolli was always threat from set pieces at the back post and he scored 2 headers from freekicks in the 71st and 84th minute.

Result 5-1 Win (6-2 agg win)

Away Vs. Dungannon

The Glens took a 13th minute lead through Lowry but the home side pulled level in stoppage time of an even first half. The Glens pushed for the winner in the second but it wasn't untill defender Tafazolli was pushed up to add some aerial threat to the attack that they scored. As English was tackled the ball came loose for Tafazolli to smash home in stoppage time.

Result 2-1 Win

Home Vs. Linfield

Linfield must be sick of the sight of The Glens by now and this latest meeting won't have helped as the Glens raced into a 4 - 0 first half lead. Mainwaring (4), Own Goal (9), Edge (13) and English (45) scoring before the break. The demolition continued in the second half with goals from King(47, 62) and English (54).

Result 7-0 Win

THE NEW SIGNINGS - January

Midfield Players

Aidan Rainey

Position DM,AM©

19 Year old midfielder signed from Glenoven for £50k. My scout tells me he as good as our best midfielders and has potential to be better. Has been one of the stand out players in N. Ireland this season.

Best Attributes Aggression,Dribbling and Creativity.

Wage £450 pw.

Roy Moffett

Position AM®

17 Year old Ballymena winger has impressed against us several times this season. I set my scouts to watch him and they say he has huge potential and should sign at any cost. We spent £220k on him.

Best Attributes Work Rate, Flair and Pace.

Wage £60 pw.

Phil Cave was sold to Queens University for £20k

January

Away Vs. Colraine

The Glens must have used up their goal quota in the last game as this one ends in a stalemate.

Result 0-0 Draw

Home Vs. Carrick

Rainey had a stunning debut for the Glens in this solid win. Goals in the 15th and 71st minute capped a stunning midfield display for the youngster. Shimmin scrambled a goal home after Hillier's freekick caused havoc in the box in the 65th minute.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Cliftonville

An efficient performance from Glentoran saw them win 2-0. Akins scored in the 43rd minute then Shimmin scored a total fluke from just inside the opposition half.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs. Bangor N.Irish cup tot round

Head gave the Glens the lead late in the game,74 minutes. Bangor equalised in the last minute of normal time as the Glens conceded yet again from a corner. Glentoran dominated extra time and finally scored the winner 2 minutes into stoppage time at the end of extra time When Lowry smashed the loose ball in off the bar.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs. Queens University

A truly shocking display from the Glens. Goal keeper Elliott and Defender Pringle were the worst offenders in this embarrassment. The Keeper was caught in possession 3 times in the first half and all of them resulted in goals. The Glens conceded 2 more in the second half. At the other end Mainwaring (41), Hamilton(53) and Akins (80) were on target. Some players are going to be dropped for certain, Depending on the injury status of possible replacements.

Result 5-3 Loss

Home Vs. Crusaders

The Glens were in control as Hillier (24) and English (38) scored in the first half. Hamilton scored in the 52nd minute to wrap up the scoring.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs. Carrick League Cup Semi Final

The Glens won this one in the first half. Obi scored in the 7th and 37th. Shimmin scored one in the 31st minute. That's how it finished as the Glens reach the Final.

Result 3-0 Win

Away Vs. Ballymena

The Glens Put in another fine first half display English (8) and Hamilton (22) scoring. Gronnow kept his 3rd clean sheet in a row as he continued to make a claim for the no1 shirt.

Result 2-0 Win

Form For This Period

Played 21

Won 14

Drawn 4

Lost 3

Table For End Of January

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Season 2013/14 Run in

February

Home Vs Dungannon

Youth team winger Crawford scores on his first team debut in the 10th minute. Then New young Right winger Moffett scores on his debut in the 80th minute to wrap up the win.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Crusaders Irish Cup 6th Round

The Glens were a goal down at half time but came back strongly in the second. English struck in the 46th minute to level the scores before Obi gave them the lead in the 49th minute. English scored in the 71st and 77th minute to complete his hat-trick. Hillier completed the scoring from a fine freekick.

Result 5-1 Win

Away Vs Portadown

King scored a great goal in the 34th minute to give the Glens the lead. Kings second in the 52nd minute extended the lead. Portadown pulled one back in the 66th but were unable to level the scores.

Result 2-1 Win

Away Vs Bangor

Bangor started brightly and deservedly took the lead. Moffett equalised in the 40th Minute as the Glens improved. The second half was goal less as defences were on top.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs Colraine

Goals from Hillier (7) and Obi (27) give the Glens a first half lead. Hillier scores again this time from the penalty spot in the 60th minute.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Finn Harps All Irish cup group A

The visitors took the lead when Hillier strangely played a perfect cross into his own box instead of clearing the ball. English (30) equalised before half time. Hamilton gave the Glens the lead with a 60th minute header. Harps levelled in the 80th minute to claim a point.

Result 2-2 Draw.

Home Vs Crusaders

Fixtures are pilling up now. Having only played yesterday we needed to make some changes. Lowry drove one in on 41 minutes. A 71st minute pen gave crusaders a point

Result 1-1 Draw.

March

A busy month coming up with 11 games in 22 days.

Neutral Vs Queens University N.Irish League Cup Final

The Glens were in control of a goal less first half. English gave them the lead in the 62nd minute. Glentoran continued to control the game and edge scored in injury time to guarantee the win. Glentoran lift the League Cup

Result 2-0 Win.

Away Vs Linfield

English powered through to score in the 20th minute. Linfield managed to equalise in the 76th minute from their only chance of the match

Result 1-1 Draw.

Home Vs Glentoran

Atkins (11) Own goal(14) give the glens a good half time lead. Lowry volleys a fourth after 50 mins. Hillier's 2 penalties (63,65) complete the rout.

Result 6-0 Win.

Away Vs Carrick

Several players rested after 3 games in 6 days. A slow start and 1 down at half time. Head was sent off after 60mins and Carrick score from the penalty. Ward then gets sent off to finish any chance the Glens had.

Result 2-0 Loss

Away Vs Dungannon Irish Cup qtr Final

The Glens are in front after 32 minutes when English scores a header. King makes it 2 just 10 minutes later. That was enough to see the Glens through to the semi finals.

Result 2-0 Win.

Home Vs Portadown

Gleeson gives the Glens the lead The Glens side weakened by injury and suspensions, who played only yesterday, struggles to a 1-0 win.

Result 1-0 win.

Home Vs Cliftonville

Noone scores 2 first half goals after 15 and 40 minutes in a rare start for the midfielder. Edge also scored after 30 mins. The second half defences were on top.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Portadown

Rainey's 23rd minute strike was enough to gain the win.

Result 1-0 win.

Home Vs Glenavon

Hamilton scores on the stroke of half time to give the Glens the lead. Noone scores a freekick in the 65th minute to settle it.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Coleraine

Hamilton's 16th minute strike wins the game for the Glens as they keep their 6th consecutive clean sheet.

Result 1-0 Win

Neutral Vs Portadown Irish cup Semi final

Shimmin heads the Glens in front after 16 minutes. Second half goals from Obi(53) and 2 from Hamilton(59,90+1) complete the scoring and send Glentoran into their 4th cup final of the season.

Result 4-0 Win

April

The division now splits for the top 6 and bottom 6 teams to play each other.

Home Vs Glenavon

Moffett scores on the stroke of half time, it was enough to give the Glens the win.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs Galway Utd All Irish Cup Group A

Hamilton scored from the spot in the 30th minute to win a game between 2 very evenly matched teams.Its now nine wins and 9 clean sheets on the trot.

Result 1-0 Win

Away Vs Crusaders

The glens were a goal down just before half time. They were back on level terms straight after the break when Obi scored after 47 minutes.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs Linfield

Lowry(20) scores a cracking goal from 25 yards to give the Glens a first half lead. Rainey makes it 2 in the 55th minute and wraps up the win.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Dungannon

With 7 players out the Glens had to field a weakened side. A late goal from Dungannon won the game for them.

Result 1-0 Loss

May

Neutral Vs Glenavon Irish Cup Final

Obi(33) Akins(39) give the Glens a great start. Glenavon pull one back in the 54th minute, But English(59) quickly restores the 2 goal lead. Shimmin scores from a near post flick on to complete the Glens win. Glentoran win the N.Irish Cup

Result 4-1 Win

Home Vs Carrick

English(32) and Hillier(45) score first half goal as the Glens dominate possession.

Result 2-0 Win

Form For This Period

Played 25

Won 18

Drawn 5

Lost 2

End Of Season Table

End Of Season Review- 2013/14

The Board were pleased with our league performance this season.They were also pleased to have won the 3 cups but especially the N.Irish Cup. They were not too concerned about the All Ireland cup final loss. The Board were also delighted to get through to the second qualifying phase of the Champions league. They were not happy to have lost 7-0 on aggregate score to Valencia but were satisfied that the team tried their best.

I am delighted to win the league again. I was not expecting to win it by 20 points, this year i thought it might be closer. After reaching 4 cup finals and winning 3 of them i couldn't be much happier and inevitably won the manager of the year award. It was great that we had a little fun in the European competitions but it meant we didn't play many league games in the first couple of months of the season. This combined with the cup runs meant we had some major fixture congestion this season. At one point in march we played 5 games in 8 days just as injuries and suspensions started to kick in. To add insult to injury the U19 and U21 sides also called up 5 first team players who had to miss 2 league games.

Stats

Top Rated Player Obi 7.34

Top Goal scorer English 21

Most Assists Hillier 24

Most Man of Match Obi 10

Both Goal Keepers (Elliott and Gronnow) deserve a mention as between them they managed 35 clean sheet in 65 games

Hillier won the Young Player of the year award and Aidan Rainey won the Player of the year award.

Stats for Full Squad

Former Clubs

Cefn Druids Finished 5th in the Welsh Premier League this season, 18 points adrift of the winners Llanelli. They ended this season without a trophy and didn't qualify for the European competitions.

Finances

We received £50k for winning the league again. Our prize money for the Euro and Cup Games was £566k. The money received for gate receipts increased by 58% to over £1.5m. Season ticket sales went up by £60k as we sold over 400 more than last season. The Glens finish the seasom with £3.2m in the bank.

Playing Squad

I am bound to have to fight to keep some of the best players who are attracting interest from bigger clubs. Midfielder Edge already wants to go to a bigger club. The squad is strong for the league but if i get a chance to make significant improvements i will. But most likely i will just look for decent young players to add to the squad.

There is already a deal in place for winger Scullion to go to Torquay when his contract finishes.

Pre season Update 2014/15

The chairman informs me that the club are turning into a fully professional team. I now have to negotiate full time contracts with my players. The minimum expectation is once again to win the N.Irish Premier league. The Transfer budget has been set at £2.4m and the wage budget is now £19.25k

Look out for Queens University this season as they seem to have some cash. I tried to sign a couple of their youngsters but they were on over £4k per week. Much more than i could offer a key player in my squad and my top earner is on £1200 per week. Their top earner is on £7k per week. If they have lots of cash available they could become competitive this season.

Squad Plans

I have a strong squad for the league but am now going to have to negotiate professional contracts with the players. I will add better players where i get the chance. There are a few players leaving who were unhappy or wanted to go to bigger clubs so i might need to find some replacements.

The Players leaving the club are as follows.

Fordyce to Queens university for £95k

Scullion to Torquay for Free

Ward to Blackpool for £14k

Noone to Cambridge for £18k

Hamilton to Chester for £14k

Head to Swindon for £24k

Plus 9 reserve and youth players who's contracts had finished.

Friendly Matches

I left my Assistant in charge of arranging the friendlies and in control of the team for the friendlies. We managed to fit 4 matches in amongst the European matches. They were against lower league N.Irish sides apart form the 4th against Colchester. We won 1, drew 1 and lost 2.

THE NEW SIGNINGS - 2014/15

All free transfers

Defensive Players

Laith Sutton

Position D(RL)

21 Year old former Southend Defender. Can play in both fullback positions so will be a useful addition to the squad. My scouts and coaches say he is already the best fullback at the club.

Best Attributes Natural Fitness, Strength and Determination.

Wage £1300 per week.

Midfield Players

Eunan O'Kane

Position M(R/L)

24 Year old former Everton reserve winger. Can play on both wings. The Talk amongst the staff is that he is the best player at the club.

Best Attributes Stamina, Work Rate and Dribbling.

Wage £1500 per Week.

Strikers

Jamie Ward

Position FC

28 Year old Former Sheff Utd and Falkirk Forward. Has scored 55 goals in 165 league games. The Tiny but Experienced striker is the ideal replacement for Hamilton and partner for English. The staff say he is the best striker in the squad. He is now the top earner at the club too.

Best Attributes Acceleration, Pace and Agility.

Wage £2100 per week

We are Currently spending £17.5k on wages. We are just under £2k below our wage budget.

FULL SQUAD

I've just read the whole thread and thoroughly enjoyed following your progress so far. I like how you do your updates, short but effective. Hopefully the draw in Europe will be kinder to you as that will prob be the aim now that you have won all the cups.

Would it be possible to see a screenshot of Danny Pringle? It will be interesting to see how he progresses. What do your coaches say his potential is like?

Thanks Medo24. Glad your enjoying it. It must have taken quite a while to read through the lot lol.

I have pasted together the info about Danny Pringle into one Screen shot. I have turned Facegen off but can put it back on if you wished to see what he would look like too.

European Qualifying Rounds 2014/15 Season

Champions League

Away Vs Valur First Qualifying Round Leg 1

In a very even game against the Icelandic team, The Glens took the lead in the 70th minute when Mainwaring drilled a long shot past the keeper. Moffett(77) completed the scoring to record a great away win for the underdogs.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Valur First Qualifying Round Leg 2

In a thrilling first half The Glens took a two goal lead. English(14) and Own Goal(32). But Valur were level by half time. A second half push saw the Glens put the game beyond doubt with goals from Akins(53) and Hillier from the spot(66).

Result 4-2 win ( 6-2 Agg Win )

Home Vs B.Jerusalem Second Qualifying Round Leg 1

After going a goal down in the 12th minute the Glens showed their fighting spirit. They battled their way into a half time lead with goals from Shimmin(21) and Edge(23). An equally impressive second half saw them score 2 more, Gleeson(61) and Ward(78) on target. This win was described as "one of the finest for many years"

Result 4-1 Win

Away Vs B.Jerusalem Second Qualifying Round Leg 2

The Glens went out to defend their aggregate lead and succeeded. B.Jerusalem Scored in the 57th minute but never looked like they would score enough to win this one.

Result 1-0 Loss ( 4-2 Agg Win)

Away Vs Standard Third Qualifying Round Leg 1

The Glens managed to get to half time with a 2 goal lead. English(12) and Gleeson(40) were the scorers. The favourite came back strongly in the second half and levelled the scores in the first leg.

Result 2-2 Draw

Home Vs Standard Third Qualifying Round Leg 2

The Belgians showed their class as they raced into a 3 goal lead by half time. The Glens fought back in the second half and pulled one back through English in the 67th minute. But it was not enough and the Glens are knocked out.

Result 3-1 Loss ( 5-3 Agg Loss )

Despite the champions league loss there is some good news. The losers in 3rd qualifying of the champions league qualify for the group stage of the euro cup. Glentoran will have their first proper European campaign this season. (although i don't expect to do particularly well in it)

The Draw sees us in the same group as Club Brugge from Belgium, Recreativo from Spain and Unirea Urziceni from Romania.

I will Update the euro cup group matches within the regular updates.

A great domestic season there WH and congrats on turning Pro! That will help a lot and will no doubt see you being able to bring some real quality in now.

Another congrats on your European adventures. I never managed to qualify for the group stages when i was in N.Ireland with Lurgan Celtic, i know how difficult it is to compete with the European teams. It seems as though you've been handed a tough draw though in the Europa League :( Hopefully you can gain some invaluable experience and maybe even a bit of money too.

Congrats on another storming season, WH! It's great to see that you're finally getting some good European football, and you never know, you might be able to cause a huge upset!

This is a great thread, and it's been fantastic to see your journey progress over the season as you take up the challenge of smaller clubs and leagues.

Can I just ask, what do you have in the way of international players in your squad? Have any of the players you've developed stepped up to that level?

A great domestic season there WH and congrats on turning Pro! That will help a lot and will no doubt see you being able to bring some real quality in now.

Another congrats on your European adventures. I never managed to qualify for the group stages when i was in N.Ireland with Lurgan Celtic, i know how difficult it is to compete with the European teams. It seems as though you've been handed a tough draw though in the Europa League :( Hopefully you can gain some invaluable experience and maybe even a bit of money too.

Thanks Raware, I don't think we will ever be able to attract players who are good enough to allow us to be competitive in Europe. For Every player i get in i must have 3 that turn me down. But you never know a couple of shock wins might make some people stand up and take notice.

Congrats on another storming season, WH! It's great to see that you're finally getting some good European football, and you never know, you might be able to cause a huge upset!

This is a great thread, and it's been fantastic to see your journey progress over the season as you take up the challenge of smaller clubs and leagues.

Can I just ask, what do you have in the way of international players in your squad? Have any of the players you've developed stepped up to that level?

Thanks for your comments Saumer, I'm glad your enjoying the thread.

There are not any players currently playing for the full international sides.

Gleeson has had 2 caps some 7 years ago but is currently being overlooked by the Republic of Ireland manager.

Elliott has been selected for the N.Ireland squad last season but did not play. Nigel Worthington has attended several games to watch him before announcing the squad. but he is currently missing out.

The Nigerian manager has been spotted in the crowd watching Obi once but nothing came of it.

Several players are in the current u21 and u19 squads. They are listed below.

N.Ireland U21

Andrew McComb = 4 Caps

Aiden Rainey = 15 Caps

Roy Moffett = 4 Caps

Dennis English = 20 Caps

Sean Smith = 9 Caps

Youth Team Player Andrew Munn is in the U19 squad.

Wales U21

Danny Pringle = 9 Caps

Martin Edge = 6 Caps

Norway U21

Joshua King = 19 Caps

What ever happened to Noone that you brought with you? Did I miss him leaving?

He left in this years pre season update. He was injured for a few months last season and struggled to get his place back as Rainey was playing so well. He was unhappy and wanted to be a first team regular so i sold him to Cambridge Utd for £18k.

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Start of 2014/15 Season

August

Away Vs Carrick

Despite The Glens having an even share of the game Carrick took their chances in the 30th and 83rd minute to record a victory.

Result 2-0 Loss

Home Vs Glenavon

The Glens dominated this game from start to finish. It took until the 77th minute to break down the visitors defence, English burst through to score . Shimmin completed the win with a point blank header in the last minute.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs Chimney Corner Antrim cup 1st round

Glentoran recorded a comfortable win. The goals scorers were Tait(17), Akins(47) and King(85).

Result 3-0 Win

September

Away Vs Fin Harps All-Ireland Cup Group stage

Former druids striker Sam Askey was in the team for the home side. The first half was tight and ended goalless. The second half was a different matter. The Glens were in rampant mood and tore the home side apart. English scored in the 55th and 60th minute. Gleeson(70) Edge(78) and Shimmin (90) completed the rout.

Result 5-0 Win

Away Vs Linfield Antrim Cup Qtr Final

The Glens rotated their squad but still won against their fierce rivals. Akins 27th minute strike was enough.

Result 1-0 Win

Home Vs Colraine

The Visitors did not manage to muster a shot at goal as the Glens recorded their 5th clean sheet in a row. Moffett scored after 42 minutes of the first half. Rainey scored from the spot in the 55th minute and King completed the scoring 2 minutes later.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs Recreativo Euro Cup Group stage

The Glens shocked the visitors as English scored a first minute lead. Now full of confidence the pushed on and were 2 up in the 10th minute When Shimmin Headed Hilliers free kick in off the bar. Ward made it 3 just 10 minutes later as he raced through the Spanish defence. The Visitors got one back in the 76th but they were completely played off the park by the Glens.

Result 3-1 Win

Home Vs Galway Utd All-Ireland Cup Group Stage

Many players were rested as the Glens had already won the group. Akins headed into his own net i the 18th minute. King levelled in the 28th minute but Galway were in front on the stroke of half time. Edge scored in the 50th and 54th minute to turn the tables but the visitors scored 2 in the last 10 minutes against the glens young defence to win a thrilling game.

Result 4-3 Loss

October

Away Vs Unirea Urziceni Euro Cup Group Match

The Glens second European group match and they once again dominated. Goals from English(24) and Rainey(36) gave them a half time lead. Hillier scored from the spot in the 65th minute to make it 3 and Ward(69) scored a fourth for the Glens. The Home side scored a consolation in the 89th minute.

Result 4-1 Win

Home Vs Bohemians All-Ireland Cup Semi Final

Last years winners started brightly and were ahead within 3 minutes. Ward levelled in the 11th minute but Bohemians were in front again just 5 minutes later. The Glens came out and controlled the second half, Ward put them back on level terms in the 47th and Moffett scored the winner in the 62nd minute.

Result 3-2 Win

Home Vs Newry

The Glens scored 3 second half goals in a game they dominated. The Goal scorers were Ward(50,90) and Gleeson(63)

Result 3-0 Win

Neutral Vs Portadown All-Ireland Cup Final

The Glens comfortably won this one sided final. Pringle scored a header and a volley in the 4th and 24th minute. Ward had scored in the 7th minute from 25 yards out. Tafazolli scored for the visitors in the 68th but English was on target in the 88th minute to wrap things up. The Glens Lift The Cup

Result 4-1 Win

Neutral Vs Wakehurst Antrim Cup Semi Final

McComb(13) and Tafazolli(20) both scored from 18 yards to win a game that the Glens totaly dominated.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs Club Brugge Euro Cup Group Match

The Glens were 2 down by the 16th minute as the Belgian side showed thier class. English pulled one back in the 21st to give the Glens a chance. Brugge were hanging on by the seat of their pants as Glentoran laid siege to their goal. The Glens scored a deserved equaliser in the 4th minute of stoppage time when Ward poked home a rebound. But it was not to be as Brugge scored in the 5th minute of injury time to win the game.

Result 3-2 Loss

Home Vs Institute N. Irish League cup 3rd round leg 1

The Glens rotated their squad for this match. A fine display of attacking football saw the Glens leading 4-0 at half time. Obi(14), Hillier(27), Moffett(37) and Akins(41) the names on the scoresheet. Institute pulled 2 goals back by the 65th minute. King scored a 5th in the 76th and the visitors scored a Very late consolation.

Result 5-3 Win

Form For This Period

Played 15

Won 12

Drawn 0

Lost 3

Table For End Of October

European Table For End Of October

Fantastic run in Europe so far, I really hope that you manage to keep it up and progress! Some inspiring results that should give the team a lift. Not really a disappointing league position at the moment since you have an amazing SIX games in hand, so fingers crossed the results propel you to the top of the table! Some great domestic cup results, I just hope that playing in so many fixtures won't come back to haunt you.

Well done!

Fantastic run in Europe so far, I really hope that you manage to keep it up and progress! Some inspiring results that should give the team a lift. Not really a disappointing league position at the moment since you have an amazing SIX games in hand, so fingers crossed the results propel you to the top of the table! Some great domestic cup results, I just hope that playing in so many fixtures won't come back to haunt you.

Well done!

Thanks Saumer.

I'm shocked with our Euro performances so far. I was expecting to pick up a couple of points and finish bottom of the group.

The Euro games mean i am behind in the league. When the All-Ireland cup starts up again and the N.Irish cup, the fixtures just pile up. Last season there were 11 games in 22 days at one point. Sometimes playing games on consecutive days. It calls for quite a big squad to cover it, especially as the games don't get called off even if 6-7 players have to play for the U21's on a match day.

FIXTURES AND RESULTS - Mid Season 2014/15

November

Away Vs. Recreativo EURO Cup Group Match

The Spaniards didn't know what hit them as the Glens ran riot. First half goals from English(9,31) and O'Kane (21) gave them a great start. The home side had a player sent off in the 53rd minute. Then English completed his hat-trick in the 60th minute. Tafazolli made it 5 in the 78th minute. Recreativo scored a consolation goal in the 87th.

Result 5-1 Win

Neutral Vs. Cliftonville Antrim Cup Final

The Glens were always comfortable in this game. Goals from Moffett(48) and Akins(57) wrapped it up. The Glens Win the Antrim Cup

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs. Carrick

3 second half goals secured the win for the Glens. Ward (53,62) and Pringle(73) were on target. Carrick hardly had a sniff at goal.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs. Queens University

The Glens were too strong for Queens. A goal in each half was enough to win it. Rainey(22) and Shimmin(48) the goal scorers.

Result 2-0 Win

Away Vs. Institute League Cup 3rd Round Leg 2

Institute trailing on aggregate really went for it. O'Kane(35) gave the Glens the lead. 5 minutes later Institute were level. Akins(49) Restored the lead but institute levelled again in the 64th minute. 5 minutes from time Moffett scored the winner in a thrilling game.

Result 3-2 Win (8-5 Agg Win)

December

Home Vs. Unirea Urziceni EURO Cup Group Match

An even match, Both teams had their chances but defences were on top in this game. A point was enough for Glentoran. The Glens Qualify for the knockout stages

Result 0-0 Draw

Away Vs. Linfield League Cup Qtr Final Leg 1

Linfield had one shot and scored in the 7th minute. But The Glens were in no mood to be beaten. English (7,52,58) scored a hat-trick. An own goal in the 60th and Moffett's 69th minute goal completed the rout.

Result 5-1 Win

Away Vs. Colraine

A poor showing from mainly fringe players resulted in a loss. Colraine scored a 16th minute goal. The Glens chances were knocked when Moffett was Red carded in the 69th minute.

Result 1-0 Loss

Home Vs. Club Brugge EURO Cup Group Match

Both sides had already qualified but the Glens thumped a weakened Brugge side to go Top of the Euro group. Jamie Ward(5,46,84) scored a hat-trick. A 71st minute Penalty from Hillier was 3rd goal of Glentorans 4.

Result 4-0 Win

Home Vs. Linfield League Cup Qtr Final Leg 2

With the score at 5-1 from the first leg the reserves and youth team players get a chance as the first teamers have a rest. As expected Linfield are too strong but can only manage one goal.

Result 1-0 Loss (5-2 Agg Win)

Away Vs. Linfield

English powers through to smash one home in the 7th minute and that was enough in a game the Glens dominated.

Result 1-0 Win

THE NEW SIGNINGS - January

Defensive Players

Paul Grundy

Position

19 Year old Central defender. Signed from Queens University for £80k. I tried to get him last year but he wouldn't come to a part time team. The scouts say he is as good as our best defenders with the potential to be better.

Best Attributes Acceleration, Pace and Determination.

Wage £2000 Per Week

January

Away Vs. Cliftonville

English (18,57) and moffett(45) were the goal scorers as the Glens cruised to victory.

Result 3-0 Win

Home Vs. Dungannon

All the hard work was done in the first 10 minutes. Moffett(2) and Gleeson(7) on target. The Glens cruised through the remainder of the game.

Result 2-0 Win

Home Vs. Newington Irish Cup 5th Round

Lots of players rested again. The Glens were a goal down after 10 mins. Tait levelled in the 15th minute. Akins shot goes in of the post to take the lead in the 21st. Newington are level 10 minutes later direct from a corner. King scores the winner in the 88th minute. Newington had 2 Chances and scored them both. The Glens dominated in every department.

Result 3-2 Win

Home Vs. Institute

Ward(2) and English(8) scored early for the Glens. English received a red card for elbowing a defender in the 13th minute.Lowry drove a long shot in on the 20 minute mark. Then 2 more goals from Ward(32,79) completed the scoring and his hat-trick. Despite the early sending off Institute only managed 1 shot as the Glens dominated.

Result 5-0 Win

Away Vs. Carrick

Shimmin heads the Glens into an 11th minute lead. The home side score from a miss hit cross that drifted over the keeper in the 31st minute to snatch a draw.

Result 1-1 Draw

Home Vs. Colraine League Cup Semi Final

A 4th minute goal gave the visitors the lead. The Glens improved in the second half as O'Kane(62) and Ward(71,90+2) score to secure the win. The Glens advance to the league cup final.

Result 3-1 Win

Home Vs. Newry

The Glens make it look easy. Grundy scores his first goal for the club in the 14th minute. Ward's 25th minute strike makes it 2. Then O'Kane(47) and Ward(65) score in the second half.

Result 4-0 Win

Away Vs. Portadown

A goal in each half from Akins(42) and English(71) completes a simple win for the Glens.

Result 2-0 Win

No Fewer than 11 of my squad are being chased by other clubs at the moment.

Form For This Period

Played 19

Won 15

Drawn 2

Lost 2

Table For End Of January

Euro Cup Table For End Of January

The Glens drawn against Marseilles in the Knock out rounds of the Euro Cup.

How's this for Fixture Congestion - Next 2 months Matches. There is also 2 All-Ireland cup games to add to that list when the draw is made.

Wow, great run, WH! Things are really coming together for you this season, again, so many games in hand for you and you're still well above a lot of other teams. You should be so chuffed for how this is all going. What are thoughts for the game against Marseille?

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm looking forward to the Marseille tie but not expecting to win it. I was delighted with the group stage as we didn't just beat some good teams, we totaly outplayed them at times.

My main concern is the fixture pile up, it could really dent our chances in the league if the players get too tired. At one point there are 6 games in 6 days. I'll need to rotate my squad to get through it. When i have done too many changes in the past we have slipped up. It will be interesting thats for sure.

Just read through your thread, very nice career you have had so far!!

Good luck against Marseille, you must have earned a lot of money in your latest European run. Do you think you will invest in squad depth for next season in order to cope with the ridiculous amount of fixtures you have?

Archived