[FM09] Best Of British.

WH

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End Of Season Review 2016-17

The Board were delighted that we were able to exceed our expectations this season and win League 1. Although happy that we won the Johnstone's Paint Trophy, the board didn't regard this competition as important. The FA Cup performance was acceptable but they were a little disappointed with the League Cup performance. They did however understand how it was a tall order to try to beat West Ham in this competition.

I am delighted to have won the league in successive seasons. Although winning the league was unexpected i was expecting our squad to be strong enough to put us in the top 8. The Trophy win was a nice little bonus too as it gave the fans a big day out at Wembley. I won 2 manager of the month awards for this season and comfortably won the manager of the year too.

Michael Potts had a particularly good Debut season, scoring 25 goals in all competitions and finishing as League 1 golden boot winner. Norwood once again had a great season although he was less effective in the goal scoring department than last season. The Defence and keepers were again solid and kept 30 clean sheets between them this season.

Stats

Top Rated Player O'Connor 7.26

Top Goal scorer Potts 25

Most Assists Norwood 19

Most Man of Match Potts 8

Stats for Full Squad

Former Clubs

Cefn Druids

Jenkins and The Druids improved once again this season. They finished 3rd in the league and qualified for the Uefa Cup.

Glentoran

Glentoran finished second to fierce rivals Lindfield in the league this season. Things could have been worse as they were in the bottom half of the table until they sacked manager Stephen Small in December. Surprisingly they replaced him with Brian Elder who was managing Balycare in N.Irish second division. He had not won anything in his career so far, it could be a gamble. He did however manage to lead them to an Irish league cup win this season.

Finances

The clubs huge loan repayments continue to eat into the finances. There is currently £7m in loans outstanding and it is costing the club £90k per month to repay. Once again we lost money this season and the club ended the season over £400k in the red.

Playing Squad

I don't think we will have the money to invest too much into the squad this season. I hope i won't have to sell too many of my players to balance the books. With the majority of the squad wanted by other teams i could have some trouble keeping them here too much longer, but won't be letting any of the key players go cheaply I will once again be looking for young players to improve the squad.

Pre season Update 2017/18

Meeting with the Chairman

The board want us to consolidate and try to stay in the Championship this season. I think we should be strong enough to earn a mid table finish but agree to the Boards expectation of consolidation. The transfer budget for our return to the Championship is set at £11k (was it worth it?) and the wage budget is set at £86k per week. The media are predicting we will finish 18th. The bookies have us as a 30-1 long shot to gain promotion.The Chairman Then offers me a new 3 year contract worth £2300 per week which i sign.

Squad Plans

My staff thought i should offload my second choice keeper Olejnik. He is 30 now which is too old for a back up player in my opinion.He went to Dundee for £30k I will look to replace him with a youngster on loan to save some cash. Reserve defender Gibb went to Cork City for £100k and unhappy Back up fullback Carson went to Preston for £35k. Also 5 reserve players were released when their contracts ran out. I have No big plans for this season as there is no money available. I will have a look for some low cost players to boost the strength of the squad but i don't think we will be able to sign any players that are a big improvement on the current ones.

Friendly Matches

Assistant manager once again took charge of arranging and managing the team through pre season while i was out looking for players with my scout. We played 6 games, won 5 and drew 1.

THE NEW SIGNINGS 2017/18

Free transfers unless listed otherwise

Defensive Players

Danny Mitchell

Position GK

22 Year old Chelsea reserve keeper signed on loan for the season as a replacement for Olejnik and back up for Lewis. Chelsea are covering the whole cost of his £6.5k wages for the season.

Best Attributes Aerial Ability, Agility and Bravery

Wage £0 per week

Paul Grundy

Position

22 Year old defender signed for free when his contract ran out at my former club Glentoran. Will be useful support for Crighton and Brown in the central defensive positions. A very quick defender who can be put to use against Quick strikers.

Best Attributes Acceleration, Strength and Determination.

Wage £2400 Per Week

Glen Adams

Position

17 Year old defender signed from Kildare County for £14k. He is a huge lad standing 6'5" tall and has huge potential according to my scout. Defiantly one for the future, loaned out to my feeder club Brentford in the Blue Square Premier for the season to gain some first team experience.

Best Attributes Jumping, Strength and Heading

Wage £90 Per Week

Chris Wright

Position D(L)

25 Year old full back signed from Bournmouth for £5k. He has played over 200 first team games at the age of 25 and will be a replacement for Carson who left in the summer.

Best Attributes Aggression, Decisions and Tackling.

Wage £2100 Per week

Strikers

Dion Jones

Position SC

21 Year old striker signed from Colchester for £30k. Signed as potential replacement for Nicholl who is unhappy and wants to move to a bigger club. If Nicholl stays then Jones could be the long term replacement for Novak who is 30 next year.

Best Attributes Acceleration, Pace and First Touch.

Wage £1800 Per Week

We are currently £3.5k below our wage budget for the season.

FULL SQUAD

i usually go for the likes of BSP and BS N/S when doing LLM, but im very tempted to go for the welsh leagues and tough it out(for the fact i can move up and europe is too hard) for a few years untill some good regens pop up and see how far i could take them

i usually go for the likes of BSP and BS N/S when doing LLM, but im very tempted to go for the welsh leagues and tough it out(for the fact i can move up and europe is too hard) for a few years untill some good regens pop up and see how far i could take them

The welsh league was quite enjoyable, I just didn't have the wage budget to attract the players needed to take that next step and beat the big 2. If i stayed for the long term (10 years or so) i might have been able to get youngsters who turned out good enough to lead us to the top. But it can be hit and miss because you never know if they are going to be as good as your scouts say they can be. Europe was fun but i was never going to compete seriously. I would say definatly give it a go.

My computer rebooted as i almost finished writing my season report and it was all lost :(. I really can't work up the enthusiasm to re write it so i will post some info and screens to show the progress.

Summary2017/18 Season

Season start August-October

Played 16

Won 8

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Table For End Of October

Mid season November-January

Played 9

Won 5

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Table For End Of January

Transfers

Three big players left this season in January. Norwood went to Dinamo for £3.2m. Nicholl went to Premier league side Southampton for £3.6m and Rushbury also went to Southampton for £2.7m. the chairman accepted all three offers. Although sad to see them go I can't blame him as the club needed the money due to the £7M of outstanding loans. Norwood and Nicholl came on free transfers and Rushbury was promoted from the youth team so it was good business sense from the chairman. I brought 22 year old midfielder Kieran Cox from Nottingham Forest as a replacement for Norwood. He cost £525k and was rated just as highly by my staff.

Season Run in February-April

Played 18

Won 4

Drawn 7

Lost 7

Table For End Of Season

End Of Season Review

The Board were delighted with the respectable position achieved in the Championship this season considering they were just hoping we would put up a good fight against relegation. The cups were satisfactory too, despite being disappointed about losing in the 3rd round of the fa cup they understood that Cardiff were always going to be hard to beat.

I am delighted with the finishing position in the league. I changed tactics to a defensive one which used quick counter attacks, it worked very well until the final third of the season and we finished the league conceding the least amount of goals. Attack wise we were a bit blunter than normal but that was to be expected as I was just setting out to be hard to beat. It was a shame our form dipped towards the end but I think losing 3 star players in January was bound to cause a few problems. Also I think the other teams had worked out how to break us down without being hit on the counter attack. I was quite proud that Rushbury who I dragged out of the youth team at 17 years old managed to develop into a player deemed good enough for the premier league.

The defence was quite impressive this season. Mark Mclaren had a great season at right back and played more games than anyone else. Lewis kept 16 clean sheets which helped us to some points we probably didn't deserve a share of.

Stats

Top Rated Player O'Connor 7.10

Top Goal scorer English and Novak 12 each

Most Assists O'Kane 10

Most Man of Match Forrester 5

Stats for Full Squad

Former Clubs

Cefn Druids

Jenkins once again led the Druids to a good third place in the Premier League.

Glentoran

Elder turned out to be a very good appointment for the Glens. He guided them to a fine double. They won the league by a clear 15 points and also the league cup.

Finances

Watford made a profit of 6.4m this season thanks to some big transfers. They ended the season with 5.7m in the bank.

Career Summary

With 10 seasons completed and fm2010 almost here i think i'm going to call it a day on this career.

Here is my career overview and a screen shot of the manager history stats.

Manager History

Season              League              Position          Achievements
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cefn Druids.

2008/09      Welsh Premier League          16th       Avoided Relegation
2009/10      Welsh Premier League          3rd
2010/11      Welsh Premier League          2nd        League Cup Runners up
2011/12      Welsh Premier League          3rd        League Cup Wunners.

Glentoran.

2012/13      N.Ireland Premier Division    1st       Premier League, All Ireland Cup & League Cup Winners
2013/14      N.Ireland Premier Division    1st       Premier League, Antrim cup, League cup, N.Irish Cup Winners. All Ireland cup Runners up.
2014/15      N.Ireland Premier Division    1st       Premier League, Antrim cup, League cup, N.Irish Cup Winners. All Ireland cup Winners.

Watford.

2015/16      English CC League 2           1st       Promoted, League 2 Winners.
2016/17      English CC League 1           1st       promoted, League 1 Winners. Johnstone's paint trophy winners.
2016/17      English CC Championship       8th

It turned out to be big success. I never quite made it in Wales but i brought the Druids a long way. Glentoran were dominant as expected (i didn't know they were that big in N. Ireland when i applied) and Watford were returned to the Championship where they belong. I think we could have made it to the prem in a few more seasons. It was all done on low budget but i think most of the sucess was down to the tactics. It was standard 442 tweaked for every occasion. Attacking after going behind and More defensive after taking the lead etc, etc.

Thanks to everyone who has read and commented on this career thread. It has made it much more fun to keep updating knowing that others are reading and enjoying it too. I'll be back with something new for FM2010 :thup:

This career has been a good read. Any idea who you'll be starting with in FM2010?

I'm considering a few teams but also have an idea involving a custom created team. I'll decide when i have had a little bit of practice to get to know the new layout and features.

I'm considering several exotic destinations but i might do one in the UK first after having a go with the competition editor to increase the number of leagues. There is more time to get a few careers in this time as the Forum is in place for the release of the new game. I might also have a bit of a treck across europe and maybe a look down under.

Thanks again for your comments.

Archived