Which striker to drop deep?

On a purely theoretical basis, I'd say it's all up to you and how you want to play. If you want the strong striker to be a win the ball between the striker and the midfield and flick/pass it forward, use him as the deeper striker. If you want him to win the ball high, hold it and then pass it on to the pacey/dribbling striker, play him higher up. You will se that both versions are used in real football, but it tends to vary a lot from one country to another.

In your case I would perhaps play Adebayor/Tevez and Robinho/Cardozo, with Tevez and Cardozo as deep lying forwards.

Personally in that situation I would have Adebayor as your Target-Man recieving the ball higher up the field, with Robinho or Tevez going deeper to get it. Reason for this, is that it allows Adebayor to terrorise the defenders with his physical presence while also allowing Tevez and Robinho to do what they do best, which is run at defenders.

Thats my opinion at least.

Okay I decided its best for my target man to win the ball higher up the pitch. Only problem is now my deep lying striker doesnt seem to be that involved

I have them a couple of notches lower than Adebayor

Mixed fwr

Mixed rwb

Creative freedom jsut above normal

Mixed through balls

Any ideas how they will be more involved?

As i played a couple of matches and my deep lying striekr didnt have 1 shot!

I play a similar mould and my settings for my FCd who comes deep to get the ball are these.

• Mentality - Team Setting
    Creative Freedom - 10-14 (centre notch to first notch of much)
    Passing - 12 (first notch of direct)
    Closing Down - Team Setting
    Tackling - Team Setting
    Forward Runs - Rarely
    Run with Ball - Often
    Long Shots - Rarely/Mixed
    Try Through Balls - Mixed/Often
    Cross Ball - Mixed
    Free Role - Ticked
    Hold up Ball - Un-Ticked

With Free-Role ticked and Forwards Runs rarely, he will be looking to find space which will naturally lead him to the space between the Target Man and Midfield. He should become alot more involved and generally will either pick up assists or goals from the positions he finds himself in.

Personally with it being Adebayor, I would have it set to mixed or ideally, if you have the distribution, to head.

In the 4-4-2 I played at Chelsea with Anelka/Drogba partnership (quite similar to your's, you just have a better creative forward ;p) I had Drogba set-up as such.

• Mentality - Team Setting
    Creative Freedom - Team Setting (generally this is low for me, closer to "little" than "much")
    Passing - 6-10 (prodominantly short passing)
    Closing Down - Team Setting
    Tackling - Team Setting
    Forward Runs - Often
    Run with Ball - Rarely
    Try Through Balls - Mixed/Often
    Long Shots - Mixed
    Cross Ball - Rarely
    Free-Role - Un-Ticked
    Hold up Ball - Ticked

Nothing wrong with it being to feet with Adebayor, but he is a monster in the air with his height, jumping and strength. If you prefer with it going to his feet and keeping the ball on the floor, then go for it. With it being Drogba, he isn't the best dribbler in the world and his first touch could be better, hence the reason I prefer him going for the aerial balls.

Distribution to your Target Man is generally down to preference and how you play as a team. I would assume you have assembled a decent squad and as such they are probably good passers on the floor, which makes it easier to play the ball to feet (I assume, correct me if I'm wrong here). I play with out and out wingers, Zhirkov on the left and Camoranesi on the right, so they can generally pick out Drogba very easily who gets above most defenders and dominates the aerial exchanges. However when I played as Barcelona, I had Messi as my Target-Man and distribution set to either Feet or Run onto Ball depending on the team I was playing and with Iniesta, Xavi and Silva all in the midfielder, he ran riot as the ball almost was always pin-point perfect and he had the first-touch, off the ball and anticipation to get the ball.

I've based my current tactics off Tyler_Bode's and I like his idea of having both strikers hold up play. Its been working very well for me using decent all-around forwards (mostly I look at passing and finishing attributes)... a lot of the AM/FC types. Strength doesn't seem to be an issue because Lavezzi has been fantastic for me. Looks like from the strikers you have it could work for you too, especially if you have wingers that are good at finishing (I have Mata and a regen that is comparable to Ronaldo).

Ive tried the instructions you have been reccommending for my strikers but with no joy so i'm going to keep tweaking

Hi bruffello06, what do you mean as no joy?

Are the strikers not scoring enough, or not getting into the game enough?

Have you tried to Keep It Simple, aka KISS?

You can try to keep it simple by giving them a mentality of 10(yes 10, even though your other players' mentality is attacking), and give them FWR mixed. Set their rest of the instructions like RWB, Long Shots etc to Rarely.

Give them CF of 15 and swap instructions.

Play a few games and watch at how their play can be improved.

Things to look out for are,

1. Are they receiving the right kind of service?

2. When they have the ball, are they doing what you want?

Then start to alter from there :)

If you're going to aim at Adebayor's head I wouldn't bother having Robinho dropping deep. He'll just be flicking it on to no-one all the time.

I'd recommend having them on similar instructions but with different forward runs to start with. Watch the matches in full and see what's going wrong and tweak what is necessary. In fact anyone starting a new game or creating a new tactic, at first stick with the basics, watch in full and tweak bit by bit.

If you start messing about with all the settings straight away it becomes hard to put your finger on what is going wrong. I can usually make a decent tactic just by watching my pre-season games, and tweaking it as I go.

If you're going to aim at Adebayor's head I wouldn't bother having Robinho dropping deep. He'll just be flicking it on to no-one all the time.

I'd recommend having them on similar instructions but with different forward runs to start with. Watch the matches in full and see what's going wrong and tweak what is necessary. In fact anyone starting a new game or creating a new tactic, at first stick with the basics, watch in full and tweak bit by bit.

If you start messing about with all the settings straight away it becomes hard to put your finger on what is going wrong. I can usually make a decent tactic just by watching my pre-season games, and tweaking it as I go.

Adebayor can nod it down instead of flicking it. Also, I have seen Tall strikers flick the ball pass the defence for the fast striker to run on to.

So, it doesn't necessary has to be Adebayor playing deep.

But yes, I agree with you that to give them similar instructions and then start tweaking from there.

Archived