FM09: Crystal Palace FC Thread

ShaunCpfc

Crystal Palace FC Team Guide

Football Manager 2009

?type=display

Crystal Palace F.C. is an English football club based in South Norwood, London. Their home games are played at Selhurst Park.

Crystal Palace Football Club was formed on 10 September 1905 by Daniel Lewis, and played its home games on the cup final ground at Park Hill Park. The colours chosen were the claret and blue of Aston Villa, a result of the important role in the club's formation played by Edmund Goodman, an Aston Villa employee who was recommended to the fledgling club by the Villa chairman. Edmund Goodman organised the business side of the club and managed the team from 1907 to 1925. A former amateur player with Villa, Goodman had lost his leg after taking a kick on the knee which he said himself "took bad ways".

-Wikipedia-

Club Information

Full name: Crystal Palace Football Club

Nickname(s): The Eagles

Founded: 1905

Ground: Selhurt Park (Capacity, 26,309)

Chairman: Simon Jordan

Manager: Neil Warnock / Yourselves

League: The Championship

Media Prediction: 3rd

Training Facilities: Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Good Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

Rivals: Brighton, Millwall

Other Rivals: Birmingham, Charlton

Favoured Personnel: Ian Wright, Steve Kember, Attilio Lombardo, Dougie Freedman, Andy Johnson

Finances: Secure

Balance: £3,005,000

Transfer Budget: £2,500,000

Wage Budget: £20,000

Staff

Chairman: Simon Jordan

Vice-Chairman: Dominic Jordan

Chief Executive: Phil Alexander

Manager: Neil Warnock

Assistant Manager: Mick Jones

First Team Coach: Keith Curle

Reserve Team Manager: Keith Curle

Goalkeeping Coach: Jim Stannard

Fitness Coach: Louis Langdown

Chief UK Scout Allan Gemmill

Head Physio: Nigel Cox and Paul Timson

Academy Manager David Moss

Under 18 Coach/Assistant Academy Manager: Gary Issott

Squad

Goalkeepers:

Julian Speroni

Darryl Flahavan

David Wilkinson

Scott Flinders

Defenders:

Matthew Lawrence

Clint Hill

Jose Fonte

Paddy McCarthy

Danny Butterfield

Lee Hills

Johannes Ertl

Nathanial Clyne

Ryan Carolan

Rhoys Wiggins

Midfielders:

Shaun Derry

Nick Carle

Carl Fletcher

Neil Danns

Paul Ifill

Ben Watson

Leandre Griffit

John Oster

Jamie Smith

James Dayton

Kieran Djlilali

James Comley

Kieron Cadogan

Forwards:

Alan Lee

Victor Moses

Sean Scannell

Shefki Kuqi

James Scowcroft

Simon Thomas

Calvin Andrew

Reccommended Team Line-Up :

GK: Julian Speroni

DL: Clint Hill

DR: Nathanial Clyne (Johannes Ertl)

DC: Paddy McCarthy

DC: Jose Fonte

DM: Shaun Derry

MC: Ben Watson

MC: John Oster

AMR: Victor Moses (Leandre Griffit)

AML: Sean Scannell (Kieran Djilali)

FC: Shekfi Kuqi

(That team is without any sales or signings)

Expectations are high(Play-offs) but atleast they no longer expect you to half the wage budget when you come in!

Gravesen has been a revelation for me but struggles to play 2 games in a week.

Watson wants to stay which is fine by me, he's been scoring quite a few.

I've changed the formation from a 4-3-3(4-5-1) to a 4-4-2 and been scoring more goals and playing better football that way.

I can't work out where to play Victor though, he has odd games where he's fantastic on the left wing and sometimes if you put him upfront he'll score too.

Signed Liam Fontaine who is steady at CB with Fonte. Paddy is my backup cb but plays quite a few games down to suspensions elsewhere in the backline.

Got in Chopra on loan for the season and tied up a 650k deal for Leroy Lita right before the transfer window ended at the start of the season.

January signed cb Glauber from Man City for about 550k as cover for the injured McCarthy.

Players got rid of:

Paul Ifill

Matt Lawrence

Shaun Derry

James Scowcroft

Danny Butterfield

Simon Thomas(Loan)

Calvin Andrew(Loan)

David Wilkinson(Loan)

James Dayton(Loan)

Good squad you got going there, i am planning to sign danny haynes, bring in gabriel zakuani and aaron mcclean. Also, by accesing genie scout, i found out a great regen and he now is mine !!!

Also anyone else mindaugas kalonas from ireland is great.

Danny Haynes is pricey on this game, but worthwhile.

Zakuani is the Fulham player isn't he? Not great.

Aaron Maclean and Craig Mackail-Smith are both available for under a mil which isn't bad.

Maclean takes a while to get going.

Moses and Scannell are quality. Moses on the wing, Scannell up front. Watson is worth keeping and does a solid job in Midfield. Got a DM from Romania for about £300k who is quality (put his name up later). Fabinho a young DR on a free who is my top performer and was player of the season in the 1st year. McCarthy and Fonte in central defence is very solid for the 1st year. If you can get Kadlec, he is a star in the making. Won't sign immediatley but I got him on a free in the Jan transfer window in the 1st season. Lopez from West Ham available on the transfer market in the beginning of the game, starts slowly in the 1st season, scores for fun in the 2nd.

Good to see my thread is being used, anyone managed to actually gain promotion with Palace, i seem to think its easy as i know the players but fail almost every time.

Danny haynes was too much, scott sinclair now on loan with option to buy, mcclean still waiting on and yes zakuani was going to be a waste.

I will make some posties when i have got a decent way through, my laptop is freezing in game :(

Good to see my thread is being used, anyone managed to actually gain promotion with Palace, i seem to think its easy as i know the players but fail almost every time.

Danny haynes was too much, scott sinclair now on loan with option to buy, mcclean still waiting on and yes zakuani was going to be a waste.

I will make some posties when i have got a decent way through, my laptop is freezing in game :(

Nice thread for us Palace lovers. ShaunCpfc, do you go 4-4-2?

Also have you ever done it with the starting squad?

Merry Xmas and come on you Eagles...

• 1 month later...

Is this the only palace thread? well i'm starting so if anyone is playing any advice on who to keep and buy etc, i've got some bids in for:

Javier Acuna

Henri Anier

Hamed Diomande

Erik Grendel

Moussa Guindo

Hugo

Ivan Ivanov

Irenee Kouakou

Mascio

Antoine N'Gossan

Daniel Opare

Carlos Tordoya

Franco Zuculini

and I intend to give Appiah a trial, I have transfer listed Fletcher and Scowcroft, however I will add more as I get more players in.

Any advice?

Palace play in a white sash shirt for just this season before going back to red and blue stripes next year.

We have no transfer money to spend with the new patch, but you can create a small amount from player sales. I've sold Ifill (£450k), Lawrence (free), Fletcher (£100k). Clyne, Pinney, Moses and Scannell are the top prospects and players like Fonte look like players that have to be kept.

• 3 weeks later...
Added in the first of the two, do not know how to insert an image, anyone?

Also, anyone actually interested in doing the game itself.

Not sure if it's already been answered but you would put the link in this code (without the ANY spaces) [ I M G ]put your link in here[ /I M G ] or when you hover your mouse over the toolbar at the top one button will say Insert Image click that and put your image in it.

really gettin annoyed now!! ive started so many palace games and it just doesnt work, im allways loosing!

going to maybe give it once last chance. can you give me advice on where needs stregthening? who needs selling? who to buy? to gain promotion!

cheers

• 1 month later...

just started new game on latest patch ... ive just had a takeover from an iranian tycoon 31st august 08 , hes pumped in £45 million , gave me £10 million transfer kitty ( couldnt sign anyone cos of transfer embargo) hes also upgrading youth and training facilities...Cant wait for january transfer window...I'd like to know any decent tactics that work for palace and who to sign!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just been given the job in march of the first season, they are 23rd and adrift with doncaster, all the good players have been got rid of, I think they will need to prepare for life in league one, any suggestions for how to rebuild the squad?

I'm in my first season with a promoted Palace (having failed first season - after having lost a saved game). Doing pretty well, unbeaten in 5 games, but struggling to win games (Fonte and McCarthy keep f**king up and either getting sent off or conceeding penalities).

Team is starting to gel.

Results are Draws against Reading, Fulham, Blackburn, Arsenal

Wins - West Brom

Loss - Liverpool (a 5-0 welcome to the premiership)

Currently Palace are sat 15th, above the promoted teams

Its a dream come true!

Although a lot of the squad have been laid off, or replaced, including the mighty Speroni (2.5 m to Chelsea, the money bought Zaki - who has scored in every game so far).

really gettin annoyed now!! ive started so many palace games and it just doesnt work, im allways loosing!

going to maybe give it once last chance. can you give me advice on where needs stregthening? who needs selling? who to buy? to gain promotion!

cheers

Problem with the Palace squad is that theres a lot of new faces in the start of the first season and quite a bit of deadwood.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright people,

I was having trouble with my first few games as Palace, ended up quitting them! However, I just got promoted via the play offs having never been out of the top 3 all season. What I think you have to do is, as fun as the transfer market is, resist shaking up the team too much, as it upsets the 'team harmony' too much. These were my transfers:

palacetransfers0809.th.jpg

Notice I only brought in 5 and let 4 go during the summer.

The tactics I used were a 4-4-2 I got off of here, called Joe's Championship Wonder or something like that, and he did it with Blackpool. It seems to be pretty effective.

Into my first season in the Prem, where I DID need a massive overhaul, played 6 and won 2, drawn 2, so am 11th - my two losses were tonkings by Everton and West Brom when I had some injuries to key players :(

Alright people,

I was having trouble with my first few games as Palace, ended up quitting them! However, I just got promoted via the play offs having never been out of the top 3 all season. What I think you have to do is, as fun as the transfer market is, resist shaking up the team too much, as it upsets the 'team harmony' too much. These were my transfers:

palacetransfers0809.th.jpg

Notice I only brought in 5 and let 4 go during the summer.

The tactics I used were a 4-4-2 I got off of here, called Joe's Championship Wonder or something like that, and he did it with Blackpool. It seems to be pretty effective.

Into my first season in the Prem, where I DID need a massive overhaul, played 6 and won 2, drawn 2, so am 11th - my two losses were tonkings by Everton and West Brom when I had some injuries to key players :(

It doesn't look like it is from the new patch because Crystal Palace do not have any transfer funds at the start of the game. You sold players for 1.6Mill however that will be reduced because of 'percentage transfer sales'

just started new game on latest patch ... ive just had a takeover from an iranian tycoon 31st august 08 , hes pumped in £45 million , gave me £10 million transfer kitty ( couldnt sign anyone cos of transfer embargo) hes also upgrading youth and training facilities...Cant wait for january transfer window...I'd like to know any decent tactics that work for palace and who to sign!!!

In one of my games Dominic Jordan took over and never offered any money. That is a strange one where an Iranian tycoon took over

It doesn't look like it is from the new patch because Crystal Palace do not have any transfer funds at the start of the game. You sold players for 1.6Mill however that will be reduced because of 'percentage transfer sales'

You're right :( haha :D - I always forget the new patches! Plus, I kind of wanted to play with Palace while they had funds :(

Ignore my post!

• 2 months later...

Helllo all :)

I am backk and have just started my new campaign with Crystal Palace seeing as I updated to the 09/10 transfers :)

I am just wondering if anyone wants to start the new campaign with the latest update and to re-ignite this thread

Cheers :D

Just managed to bring in Fabian Delph from Astn Villa on loan :) and consequently sent back Darron Gibson and Nemanja Matic, to allow Delph and Danns to play together in the centre :)

Also been offered Francis Coquelin on loan from Arsenal due to new parent club, should i take him or not ? he is an AMC

Get involved guys please :D

Just managed to bring in Fabian Delph from Astn Villa on loan :) and consequently sent back Darron Gibson and Nemanja Matic, to allow Delph and Danns to play together in the centre :)

Also been offered Francis Coquelin on loan from Arsenal due to new parent club, should i take him or not ? he is an AMC

Get involved guys please :D

Assuming you don't pay wages for Coquelin I'm not sure if he'd be of use, taking in the fact you only have a certain amount of loan deals and if you send them back they still count as one. Basically try Rodrigo Possebon off United and look for more if not take him, could be useful backup.

I was deciding against him as i've already got Danns, Ambrose, Delph, Carle etc to provide enough for the centre :)

Just won 4-0 in League Cup 1st round against Bournemouth and now been given Rochdale away which I feel could avoid any dissapointment of a Prem team and could take me to the 3rd round :D

Same normally i'm poor with Palace but giving them the go due to the update. I think the lack of transfer funds is helping as it means I am using what I have without major changes, and only the few changes aren't gambles including huge sums of money :D

Mini Season Update:

Ipswich Vs. Crystal Palace (Portman Road) - After two wins over Newcastle and Bournemouth, Selhurst Park may well be a fortress for Palace in their home games. Our first visit away was to Ipswich, and both sides created chances but neither side made a breakthrough, leaving the game from Ipswich with a point. :)

Crystal Palace Vs. Derby (Selhurst Park) - Returning to Selhurst, this was another game I felt we could win if we played well enough, and we dominated throughout but couldn't find the back of the net. Then in the 90th minute + 3 we won the most dubious penalty decision I have seen in a long time. Neil Danns stepped up and calmly placed it in the bottom corner, delighting both myself and the fans.

Our league form is currently: P 3, W 2, D 1, L 0, Goals Scored 3, Goals Against 0 :D

Well after just finishing the first season and this is my progress from the season:

Final Team: http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/1903/endofseasonteam.jpg

End Of Season Team Stats: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5645/endofseasonstats.jpg

My Best Rating Player (whom i've also agreed to sign): http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/8863/fabiandelph.jpg

It has been a very eventful season seeing as a takeover dragged over the course of the season and meant a transfer emgargo through the majority of the opening transfer market, and all of the January transfer market. I believe it was quite succesful season, and the takeover and new contract are just rewards for a respectful 9th on a basic side with little permanent signings. I will improve for next season with the new money invested and will push for promotion. Also for anyone who could, please reccomend some improvements to the squad, taking into consideration that Delph is staying on a permanent.

Cheers :)

Archived