FM 2009 - Official West Ham United Thread *Up The Irons*

Adam.S

westhamxi7.gif

West Ham United Football Club is an English football club based in Upton Park, London Borough of Newham, East London, who have played their home matches at the Boleyn Ground stadium since 1904.

The club was originally founded as Thames Ironworks F.C. in 1895 and was later reformed, in 1900 as West Ham United. They initially competed in the Southern League and Western League before joining the full Football League in 1919 and enjoyed their first top flight season in 1923, featuring in the first FA Cup Final to be held at Wembley that year against Bolton Wanderers. The club have won the FA Cup three times: in 1964, 1975 and 1980. They have also been runners-up twice, in 1923 and 2006. In 1965, they won the European Cup Winners Cup (now defunct), and in 1999 they won the Intertoto Cup. They also won the inaugural Football League War Cup in 1940. The club's best final league position is third place in the 1985-86 (old) First Division.

Football Manager Info

Years founded - 1895

Status - Proffesional

Reputation - National

Chairman Status - Loves the club

Legends - Julian Dicks , Trevor Brooking

Icons - Billy Bonds , Paolo Di Canio , Carlos Tevez , Frank McAvennie , Tony Cottee , Alvin Martin , Rio Ferdinand

Favoured Personnell - Glen Johnson

Fierce Rivals - Millwall , Tottenham , Chelsea

Other rivals - Arsenal , Man Utd

Finances - Secure

Average Ticket Price - 47 Pound

Average Season ticket price - 751 Pound

Season Ticket Holders - 26000

Estimated Value - 81 Million Pound

Continental Comp - None

Media Prediction - 11th

Squad -

GK

Robert Green

Jan Lustuvka

Jimmy Walker

DR

Lucas Neill

Jonathan Spector

Jordan Spence

Valon Behrami

Julien Faubert

DL

Herita Illunga

Jordan Spence

DC

Lucas Neill

Matty Upson

James Collins

Daniel Gabbidon

Callum Davenport

Jordan Spence

MR

Valon Behrami

Keiron Dyer

Lee Bowyer

Julien Faubert

ML

Luis Boa Morte

Matthew Etherington

Walter Lopez

Keiron Dyer

Kyle Reid

MC

Scott Parker

Mark Noble

Lee Bowyer

Hayden Mullins

Jack Collison

Nigel Quashie

Keiron Dyer

ST

Carlton Cole

Freddy Sears

Dean Ashton

David Di Michele

Craig Bellamy

Diego Tristan

*Goalkeeping*

Goalkeeping is not a real strong point for the Hammers. Robert Green hasnt been rated really high in the game and there isnt really any quality backup. There are a few young goalkeepers in the reserves but they wont be ready for quite some time. Perhaps Sander Westerveld would be a good signing he is on a free??

*Defence*

The Defence is ok but have lost quality with Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney leaving , McCartney leaving leaves a massive hole there at left back , Jordan Spence a natural left footer could be trained to play there but i would be looking to bring in reinforcements asap. The centre of defence looks stable certainly not brilliant the players are ok but are not top prem qaulity , in order to get to the next level qaulity will have to be brought in.

*Midfield*

West Hams midfield is quite strong , you have the benefit of having workhorses in Parker , Noble , Behrami and Bowyer and if Dyer can get fit and stay fit he adds the bit of class which may give you the edge...but at 70k a week Dyer is on i would look at offloading him. Faubert can play on the right flank and likes to hug the touch line while Noble gives you enthusiasm in the midfield. Parker is a good leader and is a experianced head and is a very handy player. Mullins can be offloaded as can Quashie they just dont have what it takes to succeed consistantly at this level. Jack Collison looks a promising lad coming through.

*Forwards*

Probably the strong point of the squad. Carlton Cole isnt rated very highly but still is handy as is David Di Michele who can be brilliant at time and bad at other times. Bellamy will be useful but again at 70k a week i would look at offloading him. Ashton can be a key man if he can stay fit...I wouldnt bother with Tristan his workrate and fitness is poor he is past it.

All in all its a average team.......Left back is needed URGENTLY as is a quality centre half........Top half finish will be a good first season!

Look at signing Appiah and Graveson on frees , havnt seen Olivier Bernard stats but he cant be any worse then what is currently there.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Westerveld is good enough to challenge Green who is horribly underrated. Graveson has ok stats for a season and Appiah is another one who is ok.

Bernard was a suggestion....havnt seen his stats so i am not totally sure but whatever his stats are i am certain he would be better then the current left backs that West Ham have. Remember West Hams transfer budget is mere 1mil , for a premiership club that is rubbish if you want to be ambitious and try to go for a higher finish up the table to get more funds you can but all round the squad is quite weak compared to the other premier league teams and you will probably get sacked.

am very sure regardless of rob greens ability on the game that old butter fingers westerveld will not be as good as him! while am sure west ham fans would hang themselves at the prospect of Bernard or grav! surely players like Collison & widdowson will be far better prospects, bring in west hams youth system rather than wasting high wages on past it players!

i also rekon that west ham have a solid enough side to finish comfortable midtable / pushing for europe if you can use ashton and bellamy in the correct formations, while parker, noble, dyer, upson, are all rated prem players!

I've made it to the beginning of November im the first season and they board put my transfer budget up to £6.75 mil.

My season has started ok and in 11 games i have won 3, drawn 5 and lost 3. The only players i have signed are Emerson on loan for the season from AC Milan and Cristian Molinaro for £325k from Juventus. I'm using a 4-5-1 attacking formation which worked well against Man Utd at home as i won 1-0 :D But most importantly i'm enjoying it so far!

Seeing as there aren't many replies - let's see if I can help at all.

As others have said - ask for more money from the board - I got 5.5million pounds.

Loaned in Emerson as my MCd - he's been great, as has Thiago Silva (DC), who I bought for 4.8m - also good.

Loaned in a couple of DL's - Insua from Liverpool and Nesmachnyi (also plays ML) from Dynamo Kiev - both have been ok, but not great, as has Ilunga at DL. Also signed for 300k a DMC called Roberto Guana - who the fans hate!

Offloaded Jimmy Walker (500k to Man C), and now (in November) finally look like getting rid of Bowyer, who apart from being in his last year of contract, and a greedy git in contract talks (no Lee I'm not paying you 10k per match on top of your 20k salary!), has fallen out with Dyer.

Playing 4-4-2, using TT+F theories (only using standard and defensive tactics atm). Bellamy (FCa) is either awesome and gets 2 goals in a game, or else he is rubbish and gets a 5 rating! Cole (as FCd) is providing several assists, but can't hit the goal himself to save his a**e! Ashton is inconsistent in either role.

Had a great start to the season - went unbeaten in first 8 league games, beating Arsenal 4-1 away, drawing away at Chelsea 2-2 and beating Liverpool 2-1 away. Pretty shocked by those results, especially the Arsenal one, where we simply overwhelmed them. On the flip side, Man U then hammered me 5-0 when I went to Old Trafford, despite me having more possession, and more shots / clear cut chances for the first hour. It still amused me when the post match report stated that West Ham were unlucky to have lost though!

Still lying 6th p12, w6, d4, l2, pts22 which I'm very pleased with, given that I haven't played hardly at all since FM05.

For the future - Jack Collison and Eyjolffson (sp?) look really good, as do Sears and even Hines. Widdowson looks rubbish atm.

So in conclusion, WHU are definitely playable - given a little bit of luck in the big games.

Not going well, 15th on 1st of jan, 3 points from 8 games but then got going, DL is not the problem for me, Llunga doing OK and bought in N'Zogbia who is versitile.

Really need a classy playmaker, got 20 mil as sold bowyer, dyer, neill, the gambler, boa and others. Signed Edu from betis but not hit it off really, players starting to lose confidence too.

Any signing recommendations????

Also signed leonardo and emerson on loan, both crocked and returned now.

Matias Fernandez from villareal. I managed to get him in the summer before my second season for about 8 million. Not sure if you can get him in January tho. I think Villareal were in financial trouble as they were selling everyone!!!

Or Achille Emana from Real Betis, was on the transfer list in january of my first season on my game and is a solid player. Bought him as cover as i had Noble, Collison, Dyer out injured and he is now my starter.

As for anyone looking for a left back: Fernando Vega from Real Betis. Also got him in the summer as he was on the transfer list on my game. Cost 2.5 million. Solid LB. In first season i had Razvan Rat on loan from Shakhtar and would have bought him if they didnt want silly money for him. Does a good job for a season tho.

Also a couple of good youngsters: rodney sneijder (1.2 million), Georginio Wijnaldum (850k at start of the game) Leo Schwechlen- Wasn't sure about this i was going on the back of the 08 game when he was amazing. Got him as he can play left back as well as centre half and if he gets good then great!!! Scouts all say he has the potential to be better than Upson, Take that as you wish. Cost 1 million tho. Victor Moses from Place (1 mill) managed to get Saivet at the start of second season (5 million).

I have sold alot of players to raise cash for these players (Luis Boa Morte, Matthew Etherington, Walter Lopez, Lucas Neill, Callum Davenport, Craig Bellamy, Carlton Cole, Hayden Mullins, Nigel Quashie) all the dead wood, and got good money for Bellamy (5 million) and Neil (3.5 million).

Having a challenging time with West Ham as well. I immediately brought in Molinaro (who I'd highly recommend,) Yannick Djalo (who I definitely wouldn't) as well as Emerson on loan and Carioca permanently for the DMC position (I'm playing with two.) Terribly inconsistent, especially my forwards. Djalo has played appallingly and had yet to score in 8 games. Ashton's played fine since coming back from injury but also can't seem to score and Bellamy plays poorly but scores half my goals.

I sold Carlton Cole after seeing how worthless he is and sent Etherington and Boa Morte packing as well. That raised me the £6.5m to spend on a luxury signing - Di Maria. Was ecstatic that he agreed to come, but that's been slowly tarnished as he under-performs week after week thanks to not settling in.

Midfield and defence aren't crucial areas since there're enough passable players if not quite enough quality. Upson's been a rock at centre-back and has by far my best average rating. Gabbidon and Davenport don't get many games since I'm playing with only one centre-back, but that's all both are really good for. Behrami plays well at DR; would prefer him at MR but Faubert's possibly West Ham's best player stat-wise and more suited to that position.

Two DMs definitely seems like it might be a good tactical move for other people playing with West Ham. Parker and Noble are good in that position (with a little retraining for the latter) and Mullins is a serviceable back-up. I brought in Carioca as a long-term starter in that position and Emerson on loan after Parker broke his leg. Bowyer plays in the AMC role but I've earmarked Afellay as a realistic transfer target to take that spot. Dyer will probably be back-up there and cover Faubert on the right wing.

All-in-all, what seemed like a tough time when presented with a strange squad filled with overpaid players and no money to spend has become OK. The fact that loans are so easy to get in this game really helps a team like this. Spence, Collison and Sears seem to have the potential to make it in the first team - Sears will definitely get his chances next season when I look to get rid of Bellamy. Djalo has question marks over his future too, I'm not convinced he's even worth the £2.5m to purchase him outright. Pogrebnyak hasn't been bought by anyone, so he might be another striking target to look for.

I've been doing awful! I just lost away to Stoke and I am really concerned that I am going to be sacked soon. I lost the first 5 games of the season, but then beat Spurs 1 - 0 :D, then narrowly lost to Arsenal 1 - 0 (although they should've spanked me) then beat Man U 3 - 1 :D :D :D.

Since beating Man U, my record for the next 7 games has been P7 W0 D1 L6 GS 3 GC 14 !

Brought in Don Cowie, an attacking midfielder who is my joint top scorer with Ashton with 4. Fans love him too. Also brought in a young D/MC called Adam Vass, who despite having OKish stats, is not liked by the fans. Both really cheap, and I think good value for money. I was hoping to replace them with better players later on, but I don't think I'm going to get the chance.

Green, Neill, Gabbidon, Collins, Davenport, Faubert, Parker, Bowyer, Dyer, Boa Morte, Etherington, Bellamy and Cole have all lost confidence in my ability!

My current tactic is a 442 diamond. Like most tactics I have tried, it seems to have a good effect on the team for the first game (e.g. good result or good amount of possession and shots) but then horribly the next few. E.g. against Man U, I had 10 shots and 56% possession. Next game at Man City, I had 2 shots all game! Same tactic! I know the tactic would not be as successful against some teams then it is for others, but to outplay Man Utd (who are top of the table) then be seriously outplayed by Man City (who at the time I think were bottom half) hurt!

Still remaining a bit positive about everything but it's really getting to me! If I can last to xmas, I have Donavon signed up for free on new years day and the board have giving me some money. I plan to get rid of the dead wood (i'm looking at you Boa Morte), espcially the ones who don't want to play under me and hopefully bring in some fresh hope!

i got slaughtered as west ham, brought in defoe and he managed to not score a goal for 3 months! In fact pretty much only ashton could put a ball in the back of the net.... when he wasn't injured that was!!! Anyway nearly got us relegated, got sacked and became charlton manager lol. Got them promoted but waiting for my chance to go bak to the hammers!!!

Also tristan was awful for me average rating of 5.89

Ive hit second season with the Hammers now, 1st season i signed Lobont, Van Der Vaart and

Victor Moses. Did alright in league finishing 11th, but i did win the FA Cup which was really good (and suprising). 2nd season signed huth and samba to toughen up defence plus paid out 19mill on Guilherme (absolute quality so far 21 goals in 22 games)!!!

1st season I finished 11th and won the FA Cup, but I still don't seem to be improving, West Ham was bought in Jan 08 and so I did get a substantial transfer budget. Heres my starting 11.

Lobont (5m)

Taiwo (11m)

Samba (6m)

Huth (8m)

Faubert

Ramires (8m)

Parker

M.Johnson (11m)

Van der Vaart (3m )

Guilherme (20m)

Ashton

I also bought some young talent; Saivet, Moses, Sturridge, Ridgers and Lopez.

Currently play a 4-2-1-1-2 with VDV playing a free role just behind the strikers. I seem to do well against strong teams and in Uefa cup, but then loose all games against lower permiership teams i.e Middlesbrough, QPR, Derby, Hull and Bolton. (No offence)

Any advice on transfers and tactics is very very welcome!!!

(Please don't send this to Official West Ham thread, I feel I will recieve more advice on this one.)

If possible, can you give screenshots of your team instructions? Otherwise I'd recommend you asking in the Tactics forum for help in there.

Are you adjusting your tactic against the "lesser" teams? It's more than likely they are just stopping you from playing and playing defensive therefore its harder for you to break them down.

Got Poluschi but wants out as im only 8th in feb 2010, barce keep offering 40 mil but keep pulling out for other targets at last minute. Kerrision is doing toilet for me.

Zarate is doing ok as faubert backup and also upfront, just signed saviola for 3.2 but its so easy to sell players and generate funds, neil collins gabbidon cole, all 5 mil each, parker 10, bellamy 7. If poluschi goes i need another striker, my fwds are useless. Poluschi 10 goals in 40 odd games, same for ashton, kerrision has 8 for the season.

I CANT SCORE ENOUGH GOALS ! ! ! HELP HELP PLEASE FOR THE LOVE GOD GOD HELP !

Am at work so i cant but its 4-4-2, attacking based. This season dramatic improvement on 08/09 but fwds really struggle. Most of the goals come from midfield, Saivet, van der vaart and faubert.

The barce thing is getting annoying too, just pay the bloody money ! LOL

Will post later but just read the role theory so gonna tweak a few things.

If a player refuses to learn new move is there anyhting i can do ????

Woldennis,,,, I started as West Ham.

I bought Cordozo for about 6 mil and loaned in Balotelli (Kept Ashton)

Seems to be working so far. Im in season one, mid december.

Balotelli 13 in all comps (Wonderkid)

Cordoso 11 in all comps (Reliable and solid)

Ashton 5 in all comps (lots of injuries as usual)

I have no special tactics set so I think your goal scoring drought is purely down to the avalable players you have. I tried Kerrison in another game and he was rubbish tbh.

I cant find Poluschi (SP?) in my game so cant comment.

I have Di Maria, Faubert, Parker and Noble as my midfield 4 so it aint that creative as far as creating chances are concerned.

Take a look in the good striker thread and get urself a good CF.

GL mate.

Team is

Green (Leo franco)

salgado/felipe/upson/grimi

faubert(behrami)V.D.Vaart/banega/Saivet

Kerrision/Poluschi

Poluschi from parma/milan, co-owned. turns wonderkid.

Rest of team

saviola ashton zarate oscar rat(on loan) fleck noble wilkshere(injured) and others.

Found Paloschi. Dont know him so cant comment. But if he aint scoring, get shot.

I'd get shot of kerrison tbh, I think there are far better CF's out there.

Dont know ur budget or the state of players in ur game by 2010, so its a toughie,,, but looks to me like you need a good CF

Im hoping that by 2010 in my game, i can replace Faubert. Maybe look for a more creative left winger?

I dont know how Saivet is by 2010 or banega but they look OK.

Ur right back is michel salgado? About 35? Id replace him. and possibly Upson too.

I wont have a bad word said about Salgado ! Legend he is.......... got young regen who looks mustard so will try to develop him through rest of season so salgado can move on or act as cover, on the look out for attacking fullbacks. Got some sevilla defender mosquera??? had him on loan, did ok, barce paid 19 m then sold him after 1 week for 4 odd million. Transfer listed him and he was not a happy chappie about it, thought directors had mislead or something.

upson is pretty solid for me, rotate the 3 center halves.

Saivet is coming along well, banega a steal at 5m i thought. they wanted 29 m at first. Faubert unlike real life is good, signed mauro zarate and use him as rm if needed.

i want adriano but no chance, 29 m and doubt he'd wanna go, need to get in europe this season

on the look out for attacking fullbacks.

Got some sevilla defender mosquera???

Id be interested to know how "Andrea Mazzarani" has developed by 2010. He may be ideal as RB. My scouts say "Definate purchase" when he is only 19 (start of game)

Also check Davide Santon.

Mosquera is bought by sevilla for 6.5 mil and sold next season for 4.4 to feyenord in my game, he dont look great in my game.

Is Oscar Cardosa still with benfica in ur game? Id recomend him as striker. i got him for 6 mil

right, just got the game and been well and truly bitten by the bug again without even playing it yet. Anyone had any particular success with one player? I see we only get a mil to start with so cant really afford any mistakes, is it easier to sell the dead wood in this version than 08? Cos we certainly have some.

Will have a look in the tactics thread shortly but again if anyone has anything they found works well for the hammers would appreciate it.

oh, and COYI

Archived